• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[ Feedback ] New Enhanced Client = Warmed Over KR

E_T

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I had high hopes for the new "enhanced" client. I'm definetly disappointed...
It's basically looks like KR with some minor improvements. I would also describe it as a very poor attempt at copying the WoW interface but with horrendous graphics. :thumbdown: My character looked wrong, other people looked wrong. Everything just looks and feels wrong.

I think what EA is completely missing is that the 3D clients completely loses that familiar feeling you get when you log on to the 2D client. If they could make a 3D client that pretty much looks like the 2D client but with 3D motion and 3D effects that would be cool. Until that happens..... 2D for me.

E_T

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: New Enhanced Client = Warmed Over KR

Sorry, can you move it for me? I couldn't figure out how to or even if I have the ability to.

P

paladin33

Well, I had high hopes for the new "enhanced" client. I'm definetly disappointed...
It's basically looks like KR with some minor improvements. I would also describe it as a very poor attempt at copying the WoW interface but with horrendous graphics. :thumbdown: My character looked wrong, other people looked wrong. Everything just looks and feels wrong.

I think what EA is completely missing is that the 3D clients completely loses that familiar feeling you get when you log on to the 2D client. If they could make a 3D client that pretty much looks like the 2D client but with 3D motion and 3D effects that would be cool. Until that happens..... 2D for me.
I love it like this :)

SA just need shadow cloud.

P

perplexed

I have a completely different take. I've been paying a monthly subscription for something like 13 years, but am now considering canceling my subscription because the new "enhanced" client is a huge step backwards from the Kingdom Reborn client. First, the graphics (like those of the 2D client) are truly awful. Some may get a nostalgic feeling from seeing cheesy, early-90s style graphics, but I'm not one of them. I open my backpack and find the icons for many of the items to be unrecognizable. My diamond mace looks like a twig in my backpack, for example. The number, showing how many of a particular item you have, is larger than the item itself. You shouldn't need a magnifying glass to sort through your inventory. Shadow iron ore is indistinguishable from agapite ore unless you mouse over it to read what it is. Basically, every graphical representation in the new client (except perhaps for mountains) is a HUGE step backwards.

As another example, the blacksmithing interface in KR lets you enter a number in a box to make multiple copies at once. That feature is gone in the new client, forcing you to perform over 20 mouse clicks to fill a 20-item BOD. God help those wanting to avoid repetitive stress injuries. The new macro system won't let you load 5 shovels and dig with all five simultaneously using the target-by resource, as was possible in KR. INstead, the macro will only control one shovel at a time.

I understand KR was not popularly received, but I find it hard to imagine that the criticism was directed to the improved graphical detail versus the 2D client. The criticism I heard of was to the confusing functionality of the interface, e.g. macros. The new system keeps the confusing, and poorly-documented, functionalities of Kingdom Reoborn while throwing out the visual advantage it has over the 2D client. The senselessness of that is mind-numbing.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

When someone can tell me (without going into the client, just using the picture here) what this is an image of (in grid view), THEN we can talk about NOT allowing KR graphical options.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a completely different take. I've been paying a monthly subscription for something like 13 years, but am now considering canceling my subscription because the new "enhanced" client is a huge step backwards from the Kingdom Reborn client. First, the graphics (like those of the 2D client) are truly awful. Some may get a nostalgic feeling from seeing cheesy, early-90s style graphics, but I'm not one of them. I open my backpack and find the icons for many of the items to be unrecognizable. My diamond mace looks like a twig in my backpack, for example. The number, showing how many of a particular item you have, is larger than the item itself. You shouldn't need a magnifying glass to sort through your inventory. Shadow iron ore is indistinguishable from agapite ore unless you mouse over it to read what it is. Basically, every graphical representation in the new client (except perhaps for mountains) is a HUGE step backwards.

As another example, the blacksmithing interface in KR lets you enter a number in a box to make multiple copies at once. That feature is gone in the new client, forcing you to perform over 20 mouse clicks to fill a 20-item BOD. God help those wanting to avoid repetitive stress injuries. The new macro system won't let you load 5 shovels and dig with all five simultaneously using the target-by resource, as was possible in KR. INstead, the macro will only control one shovel at a time.

I understand KR was not popularly received, but I find it hard to imagine that the criticism was directed to the improved graphical detail versus the 2D client. The criticism I heard of was to the confusing functionality of the interface, e.g. macros. The new system keeps the confusing, and poorly-documented, functionalities of Kingdom Reoborn while throwing out the visual advantage it has over the 2D client. The senselessness of that is mind-numbing.
I agree with some of what you say. Items are small in the grid view due to how they are scaled down to fit the space. At least they are easy to pick up in grid view however. When KR first came out, I had a hard time telling what was what. Much like you say you have to do now with the tiny items, I was only able to figure out what things were by mousing over them, because the art was so different than what I was used to.

The criticism about KR, from me at least, was that that much of the redrawn art did not look like its classic counterpart. If all of the KR art had been redrawn to look like it did in the classic client, I doubt there would have been as much of an uproar over the "look" (nothing would have prevented the fiasco the early release caused however.)

As far as your points about the ores being indistinguishable, I'm not going to deny what you see on your monitor, but here's a screenshot of what I see. I see the ores easily distinguishable both on the ground and in a container.

Make Number is indeed back in (in both clients mind you).

If you look at my hotbar, you will see my mining macro showing the number of pickaxes in my pack at any given time. My mining macro is setup differently than you obviously, but it is an improvement that I no longer have to drag shovels into the hotbar as they break. Play around with the macros and see if you can find an alternative.

The enhanced client may have taken a step backwards as far as graphics go, but it took a major step forward in stability. The client being stable is far more important than it looking good. Now that the Dev team has released SA, they can go back to work on the client and improve it from what you see now. Give it some time. I believe it will get there.

Link to full sized screenshot

P

perplexed

As far as your points about the ores being indistinguishable, I'm not going to deny what you see on your monitor, but here's a screenshot of what I see. I see the ores easily distinguishable both on the ground and in a container.

Make Number is indeed back in (in both clients mind you).

If you look at my hotbar, you will see my mining macro showing the number of pickaxes in my pack at any given time. My mining macro is setup differently than you obviously, but it is an improvement that I no longer have to drag shovels into the hotbar as they break. Play around with the macros and see if you can find an alternative.

Give it some time. I believe it will get there.

Link to full sized screenshot
I'll give it a little time, if for no other reason than that there may be some good modifications out there after a few months.

Part of the problem I have with the item icons in my backpack is that my monitor is 1200 X 1900 which makes the color differences that you can see fairly easily in your screen shot less distinguishable on my monitor. If I go to a coarser resolution the backpack gets bigger on the screen to make the icons larger, but the visuals suffer by doing that. Also, the ore is distinguishable in your screenshot because you have them all to compare to each other. When mining, I have macros set up for each color ore to smelt with a fire beetle as I go, so I rarely have the benefit of comparison to see which number to press to smelt the ore. Even in your screenshot, gold and verite look awfully alike, as does agapite and dull copper. Without seeing them next to each other, I think you could understand why they would be hard to identify.

There are a lot of things in my inventory that I have no idea what they are without mousing over it.

The "make number" change must have been pretty recent because as of yesterday it was not on my interface. And I looked hard.

One of the problems I had with KR, and which continues with this new client is that the documentation on using macros is pitifully inadequate. The online manual simply concentrates on the procedural 1, 2, 3 steps of how to set up a macro without even attempting to substantively explain the relevance of the various actions and how you use these to accomplish any objective. For example, I had to figure out for myself, after considerable time, that when setting up a macro for smelting that I needed to have the first box show the ore, the second "wait for target" and the third "target by resource." In hindsight, you can see the logic of these steps, but when setting it up blind it's not so easy. To this day there are actions in the macro menu that I have no idea what they do or how they are to be used, and the game designers seem to have no inclination to explain their respective functions.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Just to clarify, the "make number" attribute in crafting was a server side addition, thus could not be available to players until the SA codes release (which was sometime this afternoon? or yesterday afternoon for east coast people.) But I am "fairly" disapointed in the Enhanced clients performance, but nothing I feel like discussing currently.

H

Heartseeker

Cloak‡1393158 said:
Just to clarify, the "make number" attribute in crafting was a server side addition, thus could not be available to players until the SA codes release (which was sometime this afternoon? or yesterday afternoon for east coast people.) But I am "fairly" disapointed in the Enhanced clients performance, but nothing I feel like discussing currently.
I agree about performance in the enhanced client.

While it is very stable for me, it is more sluggish than KR was.

F

Fink

I agree about performance in the enhanced client.

While it is very stable for me, it is more sluggish than KR was.
Exactly my experience with it, and I don't understand how anything called "enhanced" can be worse in both looks and performance than both the clients it's meant to replace.

O

Old Man of UO

Exactly my experience with it, and I don't understand how anything called "enhanced" can be worse in both looks and performance than both the clients it's meant to replace.
Because the "Classic" Client Whiners won... oh, and now they refuse to use the new Enhanced Client. Ironic, huh.

R

Radix

Sad, to commit suicide, but true. I think no one of 2D users i know have upgraded to the enhanced beta, i think most of them not even thought about changing, not much at least.
I expect this aproach of enhanced to the oold client is in some way the beginning of the end of the 2D. The only ahead exit of this dark tunnel.
Or anybody expects that final release of enhanced would be much better than current beta? :thumbdown: