• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Casting Focus: Should work differently if it's Values remain so low.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I can tell The casting focus property simply allows you ignore an interupt while spellcasting X % of the time. The highest attainable values for Casting Focus appear to be

HUMAN = Casting Focus 3 % (Protector of the Battle Mage <leather Tunic>)

GARGOYLE = Casting Focus 7% (Mantle of the Fallen 3% / Obsidian Earrings 4%)

What I was thinking was this... Should the Casting Focus percentage STACK on each interupt until a successful cast? For instance if you have 3% Casting Focus & are interupted When you again try to cast a spell I'm thinking you should have a 6% chance to not be interupted & if your interutped AGAIN a 9% etc... These values should probably reset within a certain period of time as well ... Say maybe 1 Minute to avoid possible abuse.. (Tbox spammed until you reach 100% ability to cast your next spell or some such) This makes the difference between 3% Casting Focus BASE and say the 7% Casting focus a Gargoyle can acheive much much bigger...

(Human with 3% Casting Focus)
*STARTS Casting Spell*
3% chance to avoid interuption
*Takes dmg & spell is interupted*
*STARTS Casting another Spell*
3% Casting Focus Stacks becoming 6% chance to avoid interuption
*Takes dmg & spell is interupted*
3% Base Casting Focus Stacks again becoming 9% etc.. to avoid interuption
*Takes dmg & 9% Casting focus roll succeeds allowing spell to cast*
*Casting Focus Resets to 3% Base Value since you just cast a spell without interupt*

IF you had a Gargoyle with 7% the Values would be

7% chance to avoid 1st interuption
14% Chance to avoid 2 interuption
21% etc.....

This makes Casting focus USEFUL IMO.. thoughts?

C

Cloak&Dagger

There is a lot of thought that would have to be put into this before it could work like this. That being said, I think if they capped it at like 50% or some such I would be ok with it.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok.. Even with Humans having a Max Casting Focus of 5% would any of you even consider the property worth while at that amount? I personally wouldn't use it on any suit unless the pieces were there for another reason.. 5% is just too low to have any useful outcome... Unless of course it worked the way I suggested...

5%
10%
15%
20%

etc.... if you managed to fail getting your G. Heal up with a Hit Fireball Archer Moving shotting you down those percents would start to become useful after a few interupts .... Anyway... that's just my opinion, but was curious what other's thought of it.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I play a mage most of the time, and even i know how stupid it sounds to not be able to be disrupted. Cmon ppl. I'm fine with the 3-7% or whatever, but anything more than that is just nuts.

S

Stupid Miner

Gargoyles can get 9%

Mantle of the Fallen - 3%
Summoner’s Kilt - 2%
Obsidian Earrings - 4%

...and that's just for now. I doubt they'll never add artifacts with that property again. So when they do, it'll be higher.

I think it's good as it is, especially with if you pair it with resonance.

20% Resonance (as long as you're using the right one) and 9% Casting focus gets you about 30% chance to resist interruptions.
This has the potential for being *really* powerful.

For humans? 20% vs 25% is the difference between having 1 in 5 interruptions ignored and 1 in 4. Difference between the two isn't the difference between night and day, but it is a very significant difference.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I play casters mostly and although I appreciate the player skill element of timing, especially in duelling, I still find it odd the way people regard spell interruption compared to interruption/blocking in the other classes.

No one questions why swinging heavy metal weapons around requires no effort.
No one questions why an Axe doesn't cut through a Bow or its string.
No one questions why Bandages don't catch light to fire spells.
No one questions why Bandages and Potions can be used while Paralyzed.
No one questions why certain spells for Chivalry and all spells for Ninjitsu and Bushido are uninterruptable.

It all seems very one sided to me. Like some sort of selective realism people want. Especially when you consider that EVERY form of attack in UO disrupts spells; aura, breath, spells, damage over time, melee/ranged physical attacks, floor traps, hit spell, specials even specials that go off when the hit misses from monsters, even things that do 0 damage like forms of Curses. Compared to the relatively little that can stop swining; parra/nerve, stop bandages; poison, bleed, mortal or stop (heal) potions; mortal.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Casting focus is not meant to be a guaranteed way for casters to avoid damage.

At 5% a player has a 1 in 20 chance of continuing to cast after being hit.

The only guaranteed way to avoid interruption is to use protection.

Instead of providing casters with a reward to allow them to avoid interruption, casting focus is meant to occasionally forgive a caster for mis-timing their spells.

Additionally players with journey man or above skill level in inscription receive a base casting bonus boost which also allows them to exceed the casting focus cap of 12%.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Additionally players with journey man or above skill level in inscription receive a base casting bonus boost which also allows them to exceed the casting focus cap of 12%.
Really? Is it possible we can have a bit more info on how inscribe skill giving a anti-interruption?

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1% increase to base casting focus per 10 points of Inscribe.
From Journeyman to Grand Master

60 Inscription = 1%
70 = 2%
Etc.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Is the Inscription 5% on TC now? There was nothing in the notes.

Also, does it work on its own, or is it only an extension of the item property?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

60 Inscription = 1%
70 = 2%
Etc.
Like the other poster mentioned. Is this an extension of the casting focus on items, or is it only skill based. I wasn't aware of this either.

Just to clarify a little more would be appreciated. If i have gm inscribe, do i have 5% casting focus, before adding any items?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

60 Inscription = 1%
70 = 2%
Etc.
Casting focus is not meant to be a guaranteed way for casters to avoid damage.

At 5% a player has a 1 in 20 chance of continuing to cast after being hit.

The only guaranteed way to avoid interruption is to use protection.

Instead of providing casters with a reward to allow them to avoid interruption, casting focus is meant to occasionally forgive a caster for mis-timing their spells.

Like the other poster mentioned. Is this an extension of the casting focus on items, or is it only skill based. I wasn't aware of this either.

Just to clarify a little more would be appreciated. If i have gm inscribe, do i have 5% casting focus, before adding any items?
sense it allows going over cap it would seem to me they add so you would have a 5%

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GM Scribe should have base casting focus of 5% without items.
They should have that small chance to continue casting after taking damage.

I believe this is live on TC now, I'll have to go through and verify since its not in the patch notes. It may not have made it in yet because I made a stupid that was giving a few extra unintended points toward casting focus and the fix may still be going through qa before it makes it in.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I believe this is live on TC now, I'll have to go through and verify since its not in the patch notes. It may not have made it in yet because I made a stupid that was giving a few extra unintended points toward casting focus and the fix may still be going through qa before it makes it in.
Ah ok, let us know =P

JoO

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"you regain your focus and continue casting" very cool.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Was this verified to have been in the game?