• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Favorite pets?

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Hopefully everyone is loving this Publish.
I'm addicted to bug and spider pets at the moment, loving training them up and seeing how they all go.
What's everyone favorite pets so far to train?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Silence! When the Devs find out we are having fun, they will nerf it. They already ruined many pet types with the mana usage adjustment.

So, I will say my favorite pet is a mongbat. Nerf away.

You can see fun pets over in the Tamer forum.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll let you know in a bit. Waiting on a few pets to bond before taking them on serious training runs.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Spider definitely the spider... I should see what a wolf spider does when you train it up... And I might look into my ole Frost Spider... but I think I can only take her to 3 slots... haven't checked but I think she's limited to 3 which is sad.

And actually liking the tiger more... before it was rather lame... but now I think I like it... I'd like it better than a Cu but some (*&#$(& on the DEV team seems adamant that we can't ride the #&$(&($ thing.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There used to be a difference in pets. Now they can all be built pretty much the same. The one differences are looks and if it's ridable or not.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Spider definitely the spider... I should see what a wolf spider does when you train it up... And I might look into my ole Frost Spider... but I think I can only take her to 3 slots... haven't checked but I think she's limited to 3 which is sad.

And actually liking the tiger more... before it was rather lame... but now I think I like it... I'd like it better than a Cu but some (*&#$(& on the DEV team seems adamant that we can't ride the #&$(&($ thing.
I've seen people with Dread Spiders that look totally evil, I'm keen to train one. I got a Wolf Spider to tier 1 and it was leveling very quickly which was nice.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Silence! When the Devs find out we are having fun, they will nerf it. They already ruined many pet types with the mana usage adjustment.

So, I will say my favorite pet is a mongbat. Nerf away.

You can see fun pets over in the Tamer forum.
Are you the owner of Monte the Mongbat?!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've seen people with Dread Spiders that look totally evil, I'm keen to train one. I got a Wolf Spider to tier 1 and it was leveling very quickly which was nice.
Well for a long time I've owned two fully trained very wicked Wolf Spiders and a Frost Spider also fully trained but they are rather squishy

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a Tie between my Triceratops (tank) and my Saber-toothed tiger (destroyer)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lesser Hiryus, Wild Tiger, Blue Beetle, Hiryus, Tsuki Wolf, Fire Beetle, Reptalon , 16th anni pony have panned out to be my favorite and most used pets.

The lesser Hiryu in the end becomes more versatile and an overall better pet than the Full Hiryu usually my first choice to take hunting. All of my Hiryus lesser and full get 120 parry 120 bushido 120 wrestle, anat and tactics and some I will burn Med, focus and resist scrolls on. Between 20 HPR and 40% Parrying they are almost unkillable. Throw in a AOE and Armor Ignore plus their natural with Bushido whirl wind and they are rideable. That makes Hiryus my top pick.

The Wild Tigers are just straight up brawlers and have the best Combat Graphic. They would be my first choice if they were rideable.

Blue Beetles while not my overall first choice, are my first choice for my tamer treasure hunter. The are tough and you can load them up with all of the greater and major chest loot to trash for points or drop off for unraveling for relic frags.

Hiryus make the list because while ultimately not as versatile in training as the Lesser Hiryu they have pretty colors and we all know pretty colors are more important than stats :) Seriously though they are tanks and hard to kill.

Tsuki Wolves with their necro, Life leech and other attributes make them a must have in the stable for certain activities.

After adding taming to my miner the fire beetle at 5 slot allows me to mine just about any place the urge strikes me.

Reptalon while overall not thrilled with them, I finally found one that was able to be trained up to very good pet for some things I hunt.

The 16th anni pony, only being a 3 slot comes in at only 97 taming to use and control and by adding 70 taming and lore and jeweling it up to 100 on some of my fighter type toons the 3 slot pony has proven to be well worth 140 skill points and a couple of jewel properties lost. Durable hits hard and gives your PvM general purpose fighter type a lot more punch. The toon I run him most on is 120 Bushido 120 Parry 100 necro 120 swords 120 tactics 70 tame 70 lore with a high MR/MI/ Stam increase suit. The jewels are 15 tame 15 lore HCI DCI and 8 dex pieces . Proven to be a effective template for me and almost like swinging another weapon. The pony also doesn't require a lot of vetting with 20 HPR and all 80s primary resist and 45 cold. The pony replaced the armor plated pickle (Swampy) this toon used to ride.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lesser Hiryus, Wild Tiger, Blue Beetle, Hiryus, Tsuki Wolf, Fire Beetle, Reptalon , 16th anni pony have panned out to be my favorite and most used pets.

The lesser Hiryu in the end becomes more versatile and an overall better pet than the Full Hiryu usually my first choice to take hunting. All of my Hiryus lesser and full get 120 parry 120 bushido 120 wrestle, anat and tactics and some I will burn Med, focus and resist scrolls on. Between 20 HPR and 40% Parrying they are almost unkillable. Throw in a AOE and Armor Ignore plus their natural with Bushido whirl wind and they are rideable. That makes Hiryus my top pick.

The Wild Tigers are just straight up brawlers and have the best Combat Graphic. They would be my first choice if they were rideable.

Blue Beetles while not my overall first choice, are my first choice for my tamer treasure hunter. The are tough and you can load them up with all of the greater and major chest loot to trash for points or drop off for unraveling for relic frags.

Hiryus make the list because while ultimately not as versatile in training as the Lesser Hiryu they have pretty colors and we all know pretty colors are more important than stats :) Seriously though they are tanks and hard to kill.

Tsuki Wolves with their necro, Life leech and other attributes make them a must have in the stable for certain activities.

After adding taming to my miner the fire beetle at 5 slot allows me to mine just about any place the urge strikes me.

Reptalon while overall not thrilled with them, I finally found one that was able to be trained up to very good pet for some things I hunt.

The 16th anni pony, only being a 3 slot comes in at only 97 taming to use and control and by adding 70 taming and lore and jeweling it up to 100 on some of my fighter type toons the 3 slot pony has proven to be well worth 140 skill points and a couple of jewel properties lost. Durable hits hard and gives your PvM general purpose fighter type a lot more punch. The toon I run him most on is 120 Bushido 120 Parry 100 necro 120 swords 120 tactics 70 tame 70 lore with a high MR/MI/ Stam increase suit. The jewels are 15 tame 15 lore HCI DCI and 8 dex pieces . Proven to be a effective template for me and almost like swinging another weapon. The pony also doesn't require a lot of vetting with 20 HPR and all 80s primary resist and 45 cold. The pony replaced the armor plated pickle (Swampy) this toon used to ride.
I'm right there with you on the lessers. Their grasping claw plus onslaught drops physical resist drastically on mobs. If only we could get rid of dismount (useless trait for pvm)

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lessers can be colored too. Unless you want more than 80 fire resist, lessers win if you train them.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oooooooo!! I had been meaning to try the Saber Tooth, good damage I assume?
Sure is, starts at a 2 slot all the way upto 5 slot.
Slashing, Nerve strike, Armour Ignore and Disarm.
Shares the animation of the tiger so it looks awesome when fighting.
If you want a "mage" type pet then there are others way better but if you just want a shredding killing machine.....I think we have a winner ;)

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really love my Fire Steed. Originally I wanted to train it with magery to be like a nightmare but I soon realized since training magery used a whole training cycle it seems like a massive waste of stats, so I trained it with Chivalry and armor ignore instead and left its natural dragon breath attack to make it a melee pet. My steed can basically solo navery with vet healing or take on a room full of balrons without needing heals for a while. With it's high fire damage it can rip through undead enemies.
Chivalry works nice, its constantly spamming consecrate weapon whenever it wears off so it's always hitting enemies in their weak spots.
I haven't noticed it cast enemy of one though? As of right now it only has about 50 chivalry so maybe it won't use it till the skill gets higher?

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Here's my favorite pet...the unicorn, guess what he's great at?

Angel

Adventurer
Lesser Hiryu Colors.....
500 527 No Hue Color 94.88%
10 527 Green 1.90%
10 527 Green (Very Close to Above Green) 1.90%
1 527 Valorite 0.19%
1 527 Midnight Blue 0.19%
5 527 Dark Green 0.95%

Angel

Adventurer
Someone had the Midnight Blue and Valorite on Atl. at luna a couple of days ago. Looked Nice!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Favorite one so far is the Naja. Makes Dread Horn a EASY fight.. long, but easy. Love not having to worry about casting arch cure.