• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Farming creatures..... don't laugh

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A real newbie question here... When you are farming animals trying to get the perfect pet do you put the lored creatures stats into the calculator before or after you tame it! I plan on trying to get me a host of high end critters and I am starting with nightmares, Bake and rune beetles. As I am new to taming I am expecting that I will be at it for a while so I was wanting to know your thoughts. I have ready the FAQ end to end so I know about lead taming and beating on things before taming them but I didn't know if you guys rated them before or after taming... or is there a trick i.e the end hp's stats will be 50% once tamed ect...

thanks for your input.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to write down the max stats/resists for the pets I was after (with Gdrags I'd also write down max skills untamed), and just use that as a reference. Once I found one worth keeping, I'd tame it and then run the calculator. Through the years, I rely less on that and more on my instincts of what makes a particular pet "good" for what I want it for. Interestingly enough, they still tend to score high, but my "emphasis" or "order" of traits I select for on a pet has changed.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So are the max stats listed on the Pet Power calculator or do I need to go to the hunters guide?

Thanks

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hunter's Guide is the easiest way to find the max info. However, if you run a pet through the Pet Power Calc with no numbers, the resulting page will have a list at the bottom that shows you that stats you'd want to get if you are searching for a pet in the top 95th percentile of max. So personally, those are the numbers I jot down as my minimum keepers. Then, when I find a pet that is close to those numbers, I'll tame it and run it through the calculator to get an exact rating to make my final decision. (I also keep a list that has the highest ratings of my stabled pets - so, for example, right now I'm looking to beat a 4.1 cu sidhe).

Here's what you're looking for at the bottom of the calc page for your 95th percentile pets (I ran this on cu sidhes):

Searching for that Perfect Cu Sidhe?

Here are the minimum numbers to look for to find a Cu Sidhe that is at least 95th percentile at birth:

Stats: 600 / 81 / 276

Hit Points: 570

Resists: 62 / 43 / 81 / 48 / 81

Skills:
Wrestling: 95
Tactics: 95
Resisting Spells: 95
Anatomy: 95
Healing: 95
Poisoning: 0
Magery: 0
Eval Int: 0
Meditation: 0

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for that , so these are what I am looking at AFTER i tame then? as i thought i read somewhere that the stats/hp's ect are cut in half... so if i look for roughtly double those numbers??

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always tamed with a list of the min requirements I wanted in a pet and I just lore till I find something that exceeds those. Usually it's the best pet I already have of that type. I don't tend to use the calculator till after I've tamed something, because it's handy to see how near all the stats are to the max and get a different view of how strong the pet is. But my bit of paper or in-game notebook is easy to refer to alongside the UO window. If a pet isn't quite as good as I'd like it to be, I just use it to work the spawn for something better so the taming time is never wasted :)

Wenchy

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, RazicGL - those are after taming. Like Wenchy does - I only run the calc on pets that are close to being keepers, based on my little sticky note with those numbers :)