• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Farewell

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Friends! Britannians! Countrymen!

After four amazing and truly unforgettable years I'm setting sail from EA and UO with the full wind at my back, a bright future ahead, and feeling nothing but gratitude and thanks for the thousands of players who rewarded me every day by playing in our world.

I cannot tell you, not so easily in words written like this, what it's meant to be a part of the greatest, longest continuously running MMORPG in world history! The happiness brought, the sadness wrought, the good times mixed so sweetly amidst the rough. All the memories rushed together in one great dance of experience and emotion.

All so worth it, so very worth it.

To be a player, from beta on
To be a designer, rising from the Abyss
To meet new friends, loved ones; some to stay, some come and gone

Some have wondered after me, worried as friends often do (and so many of you are my friends) that I cannot thank you enough for your kindness, your loyalty, and your passion for seeing the potential of UO as I do.

To you I say don't worry! All things have their time... besides, you know know I'm already up to no good – just follow the trail of fire!

I'll quote someone who I think managed to encapsulate exactly how I feel. Sorry to fans of Leno, but Conan O'Brien has it right:
"... All I ask is one thing, and I'm asking this particularly of young people that watch: Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism, for the record it's my least favorite quality. It doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."
Amazing things have happened to me throughout my career, absolutely amazing, lucky, impossible things. And these last few months have been the most amazing yet. I have the greatest of hopes for things to come, and a happiness now I never knew I was missing. No, you'll never hear a disparaging word fall from these lips, not about EA, never about UO, not about life itself.

So live, Britannia, live! And, in doing so, bring our world to life around you!

Yours, gratefully,

Tim "Draconi" Cotten
Lead Designer, Ultima Online

B

BeefSupreme

So when are you getting together with Richard G. to buy back the ultima franchise?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to light something on fire in your honor Draconi.
Good luck in your future endeavors. Don't be a stranger.

N

Nh'bdy

A pleasure to work under your explosive-laden watch. Good luck out there.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just burnt my original boxset in your honor.

O

olduofan

have a great and long happy life hope to see you soon

David

C

canary

I was going to post something, but then didn't want it to sound bad. Draconi, THANK YOU for your contributions to UO. The game is a little less bright with you not around.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hate to see you go Draconi! and im already loving the fire trail!!!!!, lmao up to no good is an understatement hahahahaha, i just really wished you could have turned the magincia invasion toward luna before you left!!! grrr
wishing you the best of luck on your new project!!!! :shots:

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Goodbye Draconi, Best of luck in whatever project you work on next.

Thank you for all your work on Ultima Online!

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awwwwww, thank you! I have pics of us burning old design docs at the post-Mythic party in the Origin tradition. Gonna have to find those!

M

Mephistos

Even in departing, you exit with style. That's one of the many qualities you were known for. Farewell Draconi, glad things are going well for you. You will always be missed.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Farewell. Maybe you'll return to us one day, as a player perhaps. We'll be following your facebook and hope to see you use this log in now and then. Good luck in all you do, you deserve it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for everything. I LOVED your halloween shards and playing in the areas you made for testing.

Good Luck to you!

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im gana miss you so mutch, you have show us so much and been there for so long to help us threw many years, it just wont be the same without you but alas you will always be in my heart and memories, So long and be safe!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Draconi....

I shall miss chatting with you. I know you and I had some awesome discussions... over ICQ.

I'll certainly miss your blazing influence on the game. You ever aspire to open up a free shard I might actually be persuaded to join you.

Outside that know that you will be missed and I wish you well in your future... where ever that may take you.

Goodluck my friend,

Willa of the Yew-wood's player

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good thinking, Black_Sun! I think I will log onto Atlantic and light some little kindling fires in Luna, in your honor, Draconi.

Anyone care to join in?

BlissMarie

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, Draconi! Oh, Draconi! Thanks for this post! And thanks for all the good things that you have done for us UO players.

I ... I can't thank you enough, even if I thanked you million times.

You have been one of the devs that can have concerns for Japanese players continuously. I want to say thank you for it millions of times.

Safe journeys, Draconi. Cya!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fT1pNO11bjI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fT1pNO11bjI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Y

Yalp

Thanks for putting yourself into the game of UO. It was an endeavor that has made more than one person smile! The best of the world to you!

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are part of UO's DNA now Draconi and in every explosive blackrock spell we utter.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Safe journeys, and thank you for the most memorable years I've spent in UO. I look forward to hearing of your next adventure!

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*Burns through 200 stones of blackrock in tribute*

:( Farewell Draconi, you will be missed.

Miss Smoocher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i feel so alone now. whos going to be here for us to put up with our endless chater of what we want uo to be? the bugs drive us nuts but the love is strong. we will miss you. LONG LIVE UO :eyes: pass the popcorn :popcorn:

AyaraBlue

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for all the great stuff you did for UO!
I wish you all the best in your future adventures.

L

longshanks

Best of luck moving forward in life. Thanks for your support and for working on putting out a truly remarkable product that brings enjoyment and pleasure to so many.

Always remember,

There's no beer in Heaven... That's why we drink it here.

Have one on me.

:pint:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So when are you getting together with Richard G. to buy back the ultima franchise?

^^

We'll def miss you Draconi, hope to find out the next project you will work on should you continue down this path. Will light things in UO on fire every now and again in your honor :)

A

AesSedai

Take care sir Draconi,

You're an upstanding gentleman and I've no doubt that you will continue to make amazing things happen (I'm on team coco too ;)).

If I thought your EA number still worked, I'd have tried to call and shoot the breeze with ya' by now, heh. Hell just last night I decided to do a bit of cyber-sleuthing to see if I might glean a glimpse of who is lucky enough to have you working with them now (unfortunately I'm anti-facebook, or I would've checked there, but your LinkedIn page told me enough to go ahead and wait a few more months before wondering what you're up to). I'm not looking to become a stalker, heh, I just feel like I know talent when I see it.

The next time we cross paths, I'm buying the drinks.

Peace,
AesSedai

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi deserves a monument dedicated in his honor in-game, if ever any designer ever did. This monument, when a mantra is said, would burst into flames for all enjoyment in remembrance of his love of UO.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's been fun, Draconi...

I'd been keeping tabs on you in facebook (just how many different states have you passed through since you took down your original EA Facebook page?), and passing on some info as best I could here.

One question, though...

Did you pass all that info on the RNG issues on to someone before you left? And, do you still have archival copies of those essays you did on FB that we can archive here, since your old FB page is gone?

Have fun out there with your new endeavours, and don't be a stranger.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the best for the future, Draconi and thank you for returning to say farewell to us :)

Sad as I am to see you leave the UO team, I'm sure this isn't the last we'll hear from you. In fact I hope it's not - the world would be kinda dull without some Draconi special explosion and fire hehe.

Guess we'll know where to find you in the future - just look for the smoke!

Take care :)

Wenchy

G

Green Mouser

Take care Sir and thanks for getting me addicted to UO again.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yours is a world view to be emulated!

Fare thee well in your future travails and travels...

M

Malimus

Thank you for your service over these past years good Sir. I bid thee farewell, good luck and all the best in your journey's through life. Don't forget to come back and visit every now and then :)

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good luck, godspeed on your fiery way, wherever it takes you :)

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are your state of mind. Thank you for posting. I have always admired your ability to keep a cool head here on the boards. When the rest of us were petty, self-righteous or just plain rude... you stayed strong. You focused on the important stuff. And you made a difference. I hope to see your name on another title soon. It will be at least one guaranteed sale :)

From your head to my monitor... you have given me my best experiences in UO.

I would say thank you....

BUT IT WAS YOUR FREAKING JOB!!!1!! SO GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GO CODE ME ANOTHER GAME TO PLAY!! :please:

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happy travels Draconi, I hope you come back to visit often.

May you have -
Walls for the wind
And a roof for the rain,
And drinks bedside the fire
Laughter to cheer you
And those you love near you,
And all that your heart may desire
- Celtic Blessing

C

canary

I have always admired your ability to keep a cool head here on the boards.
Draconi listened to players, responded to feedback and respected the p(l)ayers of this game. The majority of the current dev team would be wise to follow in Draconi's footsteps. It is a shame that they don't.

M

Mairut

Thank you for the time, dedication and love you put into UO, Draconi... you will be missed.

“Those to whom we say farewell, are welcomed by others.”

I wish you the best of luck wherever life takes you, and I hope that you take care...

(And don't forgot to come by and say HI every so often ;))

Random Draconi-on-lunch-break pic! :p

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
we wanderered, with your fire and became brighter with you,
uo both became better and improved with you at the helm