• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Farewell to a Friend

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today In addition to being the wife's birthday, was the day we held a farewell gathering for my friend Tinki(Ron)
Tinki was one of the kindest souls I have ever come across in a game, and her presence will be deeply felt.
Now understand, I am the sort who always believed that friends you make in a video game are not friends at all. I worked hard to keep any part of an mmo from touching my life, or me in any profound manner. Then of course I met the many good people that came to mean so much to me in UO and later Lotro.
As time went on, and friends moved on to other pursuits I felt deeply the sting of each departure. But with most at least I knew that the farewell was from the game. With Ron is is different. I will not be able to chat with him on the internet, or rear another of his oh so funny posts. The finite nature of this goodbye will weigh heavy on my heart for some time to come.
But Tinki was always the first one to offer words of cheer when anyone needed it, and apologized profusely any time she had to boot someone from the kin. Ron's battle with cancer will for me always stand out as an effort bolstered by good will and a quiet dignity.
I will miss the yellow outfits, the Hobbit desire for greater numbers of pie, and the way that Ron made others feel. Like they mattered, and were a part of a family not just a game.
I am not sure what is next for me gaming wise, nor can I foresee the path that life has planned for me. But I am richer in spirit for having known this gamer, and will never forget his smile, nor his character Tinki's words of less than wisdom.

Far apart, never alone.