• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] FAQ - How to Gain Fishing, Rewards & Quests! (Now with High Seas & New MIBs Data!)

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FAQ - How to Gain, Rewards & More!

Training Fishing

Fishing is one of those skills that takes a while to GM but once complete offers several rewards.

0-30 Skill: If you haven't started a character with 50 Fishing you can buy up to 30 from a Fisher near docks.
30-75 Skill: Between these values you will need to fish shallow water, At docks or coastlines.
75-120 Skill: Between these values you will need to fish in deep water, Buy a boat from a Shipwright and sale out of Dock and fish. A good spot is east of Moonglow, You can sail North/South without hitting any islands.

What Can I Fish Up?

At 0 Fishing:

Footwear: Can be used to fill footwear bods, Apart from that not worth keeping
Fish: Can be cut up with a blade, 1 Fish will make 4 Fish Steaks. Can only be caught until 90 fishing when ONLY High Seas fish will be caught.
High Seas Shallow Fish: Green Catfish, Pike, Redbelly Bream, Bluegill Sunfish, Pumpkinseed Sunfish, Kokanee Salmon, Rainbow Trout, Yellow Perch, Smallmouth Bass, Uncommon Shiner, Brook Trout and Walleye
Truly Rare Fish: +11% Str, Duration 120 Seconds
Highly Peculiar Fish: +10 Stamina
Wondrous Fish: +10% Dex, Duration 120 Seconds
Prized Fish: +11 Int, Duration 120 Seconds

At 75 Fishing:

Message in a Bottle: When opened will contain a Waterstained SOS or if your lucky (1 in 25) an Ancient SOS. These will then lead you to treasure you can fish up. (FAQ HERE)

Treasure Chests: From completing a Waterstained SOS or an Ancient SOS from a Message in a Bottle (MIB). (FAQ HERE)

At 80 Fishing:

Special Fishing Nets: Come in a range of colours, You can throw these into the water to spawn several water monsters.

White Pearls: Used to make several craftable artifacts as well as being an imbuing reagent. (More Info)
Big Fish: Come in a range of weights, Will bear the catchers name if its above 20 stones. Can be used with a Taxidermy Kit to create a trophy. (More Info)
Delicate Scales: Resource used in Imbuing. (More Info)
High Seas Rare Fish: List of fish unsure at the moment of writing.

At 90 Fishing:

Treasure Map: Used to dig up a treasure chest on land. Full details on Treasure Maps at this FAQ. (Treasure Hunter FAQ)

Will no longer be able to catch 4 'a fish' types. Only High Seas fish after 90 Skill. Ignore if you haven't upgraded to High Seas.

At 100 Fishing:

Ancient SOS's.

So you were lucky enough to get an Ancient SOS from a MIB, Well Done!

How is it different from a Waterstained SOS? Well the loot for a start, Once you manage to fish it up you will find a bright white chest with Level 4 loot, Also inside will be a Fabled Fishing Net.

Fabled Fishing Net

The Fabled Fishing Nets sell for quite alot of money in places such as Luna, So if you don't cope well with tough monsters you could consider selling it, Otherwise read on!

The Fabled Fishing Net works the same way as the Special Fishing Nets, You double click them, Target deep water and the spawn will appear. However instead of 3-4 monsters you will swirm up the mighty Leviathan as well as a few other sea creatures.

The Leviathan

The Leviathan is a bright white Kracken however it is extremely tough, The person who tossed the net will have a 25% chance at a Minor Artifact, Everyone else who helps kill it will have a chance at a Minor Artifact also, This chance is also affected by Luck.

Minor Artifacts

You can find a full list of Minor Artifacts available to get from the Leviathan by clicking here.

Stygian Abyss Fishing Quests

There are two new quests that came with the 2009 expansion Stygian Abyss that are related to fishing.

Scraping the Bottom

Xenrr will give this quest, He will want one Mud Puppy. This is a named 'Big Fish' which is only attainable by fishing in the Underworld Dungeon. There are several areas of fishing in the Underworld I have listed further down in this post.

Once you obtain the Mud Puppy set it as a quest item by clicking your character then 'Toggle Quest Item', Go back to Xenrr and he will give you the reward 'Xenrr's Fishing Pole'. On holding it will turn you into a green goblin.

Something Fishy

Barreraak will give this quest, He will want one Red Herring. This is a named 'Big Fish' which is only attainable by fishing in the Underworld Dungeon. There are several areas of fishing in the Underworld I have listed further down in this post.

Once you obtain the Red Herring set it as a quest item by clicking your character then 'Toggle Quest Item', Go back to Barreraak and he will give you the reward 'Barreraak's Beaten Up Ring'. On wearing it will turn you into a grey goblin.

Fishing Areas in the Underworld

High Seas Fishing Quests

Stratics has a fantastic Fishing Quest Guide located here!

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: FAQ - How to Gain Fishing, Rewards & Quests!

Nice work ... thought I have some additions. *g*

Training Fishing:
30 - 75 skill: water near serverlines is considered shallow and often if not mostly used for training
75-100 skill: waters in the underworld/abyss is considered deep (as far as I know). So if you dont have the money for a boat or if you want to mess around with refreshing it or if you re on Siege that would be a solution.

Cutting up fishes: there is a strange formula around. The larger a stack of fish is, that you cut up, the more fishsteaks you are getting from up to a maximum of 60k fishsteaks. (If I remember right it was something like around 1900 - 2000 fishes to reach 60k steaks. Its interesting if you want the steaks for training or donating them to the library).

Sea and Deep sea serpents at 80 fishing: While fished up nets, maps and mibs are always coming as loot along with a sea serpent you have a chance to fish up 'empty' sea serpents when fishing up successfull in deep water. Its is a decent source for horned leather (tailoring, brit library donation) and blue dragon scales (blacksmithy, brit library donation). Remember that you get doubled amounts when you fish them up in Fel. (Trade of is that all treasure maps are Fel ones, if you decide to fish there.)

Special fishing nets:
- green: Spawning 1-3 random monsters out of sea serp, deep sea serp, water elemental and kraken
- couloured: Spawning up to 5 randon monster of the sea

Treasure maps at 90 fishing:
Fished up maps are always lvl 1. (Actually fishing is the best source for lvl 1 maps if you need some for a wall map.) Sea and deep sea serpents do have an original spawn of lvl 2 maps on them.

Latest addition:
You have a low chance to get 'delicate scales' (imbuing ingredient for UBWS) while fishing. (But I am not shure at which level you start getting them. 80 like white pearls is already confirmed.)

Red Herings and Mud Puppets follow the same rules as big fishes. (Catchers name on them and taxidermy kit)

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

THIS FAQ IS A WORK IN PROCESS, ALL DATA IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AS I DO MORE MIBS

Message in Bottles

Message in Bottles, Or MIBS, Are fished up by a fisherman of 75 or more skill at sea or found in Treasure Chests (Any Level). Once the bottle is opened it either turns into a waterstained SOS, or an ancient waterstained SOS (1 in 25 chance) - These can be fished up by anyone at or over 75 fishing.

How To Use:

Once you have fished up or got a MIB (
) you can double click it and will either get a waterstained SOS (
) or an ancient waterstained SOS (
). Double clicking either will bring up a message with coordinates to a sunken treasure!

Message you will get on opening SOS.

If you sail to the specificed location in Trammel or Felucca, Grab your rod and begin to fish! You need to be at 75 or above fishing and if you are at the right spot will begin to fish up parts of the wreck (Scroll down to 'Items fished up before chest' to see the full list of what you can get. Eventually you will fish up the chest! If you cannot carry it, it will drop to your feet.

- Level 1, 2 or 3 SOS Chests
- Level 4 Ancient SOS Chest
- Rare Level 1, 2, 3 or 4 Ships Strong Box

Once you receive the chest inside (No lock picking required, or traps!) you will find the loot! Scroll down to the appropriate heading to see what you can expect to find inside:

Normal Chest Loot:

Level 1
10,000 Gold
4-5 Equipment Loot
7 Stacks of Jewels (1-2)
10 Reagents
5 Stacks of Magical Scrolls

Level 2
20,000 Gold
13-15 Equipment Loot
9 Stacks of Jewels (1-5)
20 Reagents
8-10 Stacks of Magical Scrolls

Level 3
30,000 Gold
18-20 Equipment Loot
9 Stacks of Jewels (1-10)
30 Reagents
10-15 Stacks of Magical Scrolls

Ancient MIB Chest (Level 4)

Ships Strongbox Loot:

Every MIB has a chance to be fished up as a rare grey ship strongbox, The loot for those are as follows:

Level 2
20,000 Gold
9 Stacks of Jewels (1-8)
1-2 Stacks ML Gems (1-12)
Gold or Copper Ingots

Found in EVERY Level (Random):

Runed Driftwood Bow

40% Hit Lighting
40% Hit Lower Defense
30% Swing Speed Increase
50% Damage Increase
15% Lower Ammo Cost

Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings

Casting Focus 4%
HP +5
Mana +8
Spell Damage Increase 8%
Lower Reagent Cost 15
Mana Regeneration 2
Physical: 5
Fire: 13
Cold: 12
Poison: 8
Energy: 14

Bronzed Armor of the Valkyrie

HP +5
STR + 5
DEX + 5
Stam + 5
LMC 10%
Stam Regen + 3
Physical 11%
Fire 14%
Cold 8%
Poison 11%
Energy 8%

An Antique Wedding Dress

Large Fishing Net

One version: Turnable with Interior Decorator

A Special Fishing Net

A Fabled Fishing Net

Grapevine
5 pieces per direction

Items fished up before chest (Random):

Oars
Two versions: East, South

Fish Heads

Table Legs

Chest of Drawers

Yellow Polkadot Bikini

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: FAQ - How to Gain Fishing, Rewards & Quests! (Now with High Seas & New MIBs Data!

The skill level you say for fishing up MiB's is kind of weird. I've been fishing them up for a while without being at gm skill. I just hit 88 skill and have been fishing them up since at least around 85 skill. Not very often but.. still getting them.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: FAQ - How to Gain Fishing, Rewards & Quests! (Now with High Seas & New MIBs Data!

The oars, table legs and grapvines are all found in the chest. They are not fished up prior to getting the chest. Please refer to http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-fishing-treasure-hunting/226148-mib-updates.htmlfor pictures of additional items.
All the data is from myself, I have personally fished up oars and table legs. :) After spending MIB fishing for 14 hours last night just to make this, be nice, Took me a while. :D

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The skill level you say for fishing up MiB's is kind of weird. I've been fishing them up for a while without being at gm skill. I just hit 88 skill and have been fishing them up since at least around 85 skill. Not very often but.. still getting them.
I will change it to 85, It's clearly been changed then as I always knew it to be GM.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

All the data is from myself, I have personally fished up oars and table legs. :) After spending MIB fishing for 14 hours last night just to make this, be nice, Took me a while. :D
I got all mine from inside the chests.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I'm sorry Lord Frodo, you are mistaken. Oars, Table legs, Chest of Drawers and Fish Heads are all fished up.
That's not just my own experience, it's the actual publish notes: Publish 68.3 to all Shards - 5:00PM EDT | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online
Went to your link and understand what they are saying. These items were in my chests that I fished up •Fish Heads •Oars •Unfinished table legs. I got the usual stuff that you get before the chest but none of the new stuff ever came up prior to the chest. I posted screen shot here http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-fishing-treasure-hunting/226148-mib-updates.html#post1848396. Not sure what is up. Collecting more MIBs and will do another run in a couple of days and see if anything changes.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NEW INFO

I found more info about fishing:

GAIN SYSTEM:

With a crystal ball I noted the difficulty raising by increasing the distance from shore.
So I started in the land until 30, then I take a boat and I goes 5 tiles far from the shore. At 50 I increase more the distance and so on until you reach the max difficulty.
The trick is to stay at "Challenging" level so you can gain fast and reach 100 fishing in less than 4 days.
Lobster fishing has the same success chance of the fishing pole and the same gain rate (just slower). You can also mix fishing pole and lobster traps for extra gains.

WHAT KIND OF FISH/LOBSTER CAN I GET?

You start by catching plain "fish" and "lobsters/crab" with few named one. The more your skill will raise and less plain you'll find.
For fish at 100 you get no more plain.
For lobster I don't know yet, but probably is 120.

EASY QUESTS

The best way to get the PS 120 is doing the quest very fast and very often.
In this case the party/guild work it's all!

Here is how to do that:

1. Go fishing with 3-4 friends so you can gather a huge amount of fish/lobester very fast.

2. Use the world map to plot courses and continue to fish while the boat is moving.

3. Who take the quest should wait near the destination monger and keep trying to speak for complete the quest. Another guild mate should lead the ship to destination. When the ship is near enough the quest is complete.

4. Keep the fish at home in a commodity deed box and keep quick runes for moving. In this manner you can fulfill the order quickly.

5. Avoid the pirate ships and avoid to be damaged. The most important thing is to keep the ship at the highest health status so you can go at the max speed.

I would like to report this post too: http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-fishing-treasure-hunting/224970-fishing-quest-rewards.html
Because contains very important info like the fish weight for calculate the reward.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: NEW INFO

EXTRA SUGGESTIONS

Due to a recent idea of petra, keep a bonded goat with you while fishing for thrash the shoes.
You can also keep a cat for thrash lobster, crab, and every kind of useless plain fish that you can find around :)

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Message in a Bottle - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

You need to correct some of the info, especially on ship strongboxes.
You can get whatever info you can get on that page, including the images, since we're both working in favor of the community. However, it really hurts when this is not understood by people who feels they're competing, not informing.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks Nim, Will adjust the incorrect figures.

You should know me, All for the community. :D

Thanks

A

Adora

I just fished up my first treasure map at 75.9 - has this number changed?

I also started fishing up MiBs soon after - and even close to 80, sometimes still pull out just 'a fish' that doesn't stack (nor do the fish steaks that are cut from them)

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I just fished up my first treasure map at 75.9 - has this number changed?

I also started fishing up MiBs soon after - and even close to 80, sometimes still pull out just 'a fish' that doesn't stack (nor do the fish steaks that are cut from them)
The number was changed at High Seas and I was told 85, But if your getting them above 75 I shall change.

And the fish stacking is a known bug sadly.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I will change it to 85, It's clearly been changed then as I always knew it to be GM.
Hi there, I started getting MIB's at 62 skill so this may need changing now.

B

Beastmaster

Here's the formula for the number of steaks you get from special fish:

INT(stoneweight/10)*4-4

ie. round down the weight to the tens spot (drop the ones spot) and multiply by 4 then substract 4 from that.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hi there, I started getting MIB's at 62 skill so this may need changing now.
Was that from deep water?

ImaNoobieToo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I fished in shallow water from 0-65.0 then I noticed my gains stopped so I moved into deep water a couple screens away from shore. At 66.1 I got my first SOS and now with 77.5 skill I have 10 MIBs and 2 T-maps

Remo_Williams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Latest addition:
You have a low chance to get 'delicate scales' (imbuing ingredient for UBWS) while fishing. (But I am not shure at which level you start getting them. 80 like white pearls is already confirmed.)
Got one at 82.0 today.. Just FYI if anyone is keeping up

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Was that from deep water?
I just got a mib at 67.7 Skill. Iam out on the ocean in deep water. The crystal ball of knowledge says "very challenging". Interesting fact is, that the mib appeared in my backpack. No serpent involved. Just like fishing used to be .. once upon a time .. before the sea serps came into play. ;)

*edit* At 71.5 Skill i still get the mibs directly into my pack.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Fish: Can be cut up with a blade, 1 Fish will make 4 Fish Steaks. Can only be caught until 60 fishing when ONLY High Seas fish will be caught.
This is not correct. I am at 68.4 fishing and I still catch the legacy fish.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The legacy fish stops at 90.0. Until then you get legacy fish every now and then.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The legacy fish stops at 90.0. Until then you get legacy fish every now and then.
Thanks, Changed it.

demonlawyer

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

How do you get fishing powerscrolls? I've got fishing 102% (was given a plus 5% one) but my fishing quests are still largely one fish orders with the odd one up to five fish. Not had any for six fish or dungeon fish yet.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

It's randomly one of the quest rewards. Each quest has a chance of one of 4 items (bait, lava gear, book, PS), with the bait being most common, and the rest of the list progressively rarer.

Reputation and the quests you have filled add to the chance for multi-line quests. Every quest theoretically starts as a 1-liner, then there's a chance based on the number of fish types you've completed (out of all possible types) quests for that you get a 2-liner. Then, another check like that (may just count fish you've done 2-liners for) for a 3-liner, if a 2-liner, etc. up till you get a 6 line-quest. Once you've completed several 5-line quests, you'll start getting chances for 6-line ones.

Dungeon fish start at 106, but you take a hit to the quest line chances at 105, as that's when the quest line calculation starts taking the dungeon fish into account.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Fishing Areas in the Underworld

There's a few additional fishing spots I've confirmed besides these 3...

#4: The water between the teleporter and the Abyss entrance:

4a. You can teleport over into the small ruins, and fish there, but it is low quality (lucky if you get a half-dozen casts before you run out of fish). Worse, you have to recall out of there.
4b. & 4c. You can teleport over to the middle of the ruined bridge from the Abyss entrance side (later referred to as the intermediate step for getting to the locations). From there, you can teleport either under the teleporter side of the bridge (2 spots to fish, capable of up to a total of 4 lobster/crab traps - remember to teleport to the west-most stone for best fishing angles), or to the single block between the cascades (2 more areas to fish, capable of up to 9 traps). You can teleport between the two locations directly, or use the intermediate step. You can also teleport back over to the Abyss side from that intermediate step, in case you want to go hit the Goblin bridge locations while the others reset.

#5: This is for the brave or the foolish... The two pools inside Navrey's Lair, nearest the entrance, can be fished. I think there's only one spot per pool in each, but possibly a second might be in one of them (just hard to hit).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Fishing Quests FAQ (from the "Ask the Devs" post of 1/28/2011)

Please Give us some help with the Fishmonger quest
Original Questions given by BluDjinn
Original Answers by James Nichols of Mythic.
Answers further modified/clarified by Basara.
Q1: How does the Fish Monger reputation work ?
How do we gain /lose reputation ?
James: You gain reputation by finishing quests. You lose reputation by quitting (abandoning) quests. REJECTING a quest, by not accepting it in the first place, does NOT affect reputation in either direction. Only quests accepted, then abandoned, cause reputation loss.

Q2: Are the quests timed ? Do we lose reputation for taking too long?
James: Take all the time you like, it is not measured

Q3: Are we better off doing one quest at a time? Or can we just get quest from all the mongers at once? If so does it matter in which order we hand them in?
James: You can have a quest from each of them at the same time. There are 8 fishmongers. It doesn’t matter what order you hand them in.

Quote:
Q4: How much do each of these actions help/hurt?
(Original Answer by James - Modified by Basara for what ACTUALLY occurs)
Fish types you have never had a quest for before start at 10 fish requested. Each time you complete an order with a specific fish, the next time you get an order with that fish the quantity will increase by 5, to a max of 20. Once you turn in a quest for 20 of a fish type, that fish type will reset to 10. The cycle then repeats.
Note that you can (and often will) get multiple fish quests for the same fish, once you start getting multiple multi-line quests. These SHOULD cause the counter to advance when turned in (not confirmed) out of sequence.
However... Each time you abandon a quest with a specific fish, the next order you get with that fish will be 5 less quantity than the last one of that type given to you. This SHOULD be the only way you get a quest requesting 5 of a type.

Q5: How does the monger decide which quest to give us?
(Original by James, modified by Basara)

The fish monger chooses randomly between a list of fish based on your fishing skill. This can be of any type of fish you can currently catch.

You start out with single-fish quests. The game keeps track of each fish type you are eligible to catch* and how many times you have filled a quest of that type, and this factors into your chance for multiple-line quests.

The chance of a 2-line quest is based on the percentage of eligible fish types you have filled at least one quest for. (note that "based on the percentage" does not mean that it's 100% if you've done all the fish. There may be an additional modifier that reduces it to where it's not 100% certain)

If this chance results in a 2-line quest, then the chance of a 3-line quest is based on the percentage of eligible fish types you have completed quests for at least twice.

If this results in a 3-line quest, then the chance of a 4-line quest is based on the percentage of eligible fish types you have completed quests for at least three times.

This progresses until you are getting orders for 6 fish.

*Note that the "eligible fish types" appear to add the Dungeon Fish types to the calculation sometime between 100 & 105 skill (when you can start fishing for them), though you don't actually start getting quests for them until 106 skill (possibly an artifact of earlier changes to the quest system at the 100-106 level). This causes a sudden resurgence of 1, 2 and 3 line quests in that range, as the total fish types increase by about 50%, and resolves itself as you do multiple quests requesting the dungeon fish.

The number of different fish types in the order is always random, the only thing that changes is the odds for multiple lines (which the more quests you fill, the better size your future quests will tend toward, except for that blip at the start of the Dungeon Fish range).

Q6: Is it based on reputation with just the monger we are dealing with, or on our standing with all the mongers as a whole?
James: Reputation is pooled among all fishmongers, they talk to each other through a secret chat channel.

Q7: What role does the RNG play in this ?
James: As listed above, the kind of fish are random, the number of fish are random and the prizes are random (within categories - see below).

Q8: How is the reward for finished quest decided?
(rewritten by Basara)
There are categories based on order size (point value). There is some overlap, but you get different prizes for a small order than you get for a big order.

The size of the order is weighted depending on whether you are catching shallow water fish (x1), deep water fish(x2), or dungeon fish (x3). Crustaceans (Crabs & Lobsters) were meant to count as deep water fish, but currently only count as shallow water fish. This bug has been reported, and has been stated to be corrected in the forthcoming Publish 70.

Rewards (at each category level) appear to be divided into the same 4 types, within the categories.

Common Reward: Bait Cup. The amount of uses will be ONE HALF the point value of the quest (rounded down, if the point value was an odd number). As a result, many people use the Bait uses, not the real point system, as a point system for tracking quest rewards. Bait for rarer fish becomes available as your reputation improves (and you turn in higher-value quests).

Uncommon Reward: Lava Fishing Gear. These will be Lava Fishing Poles, or Lava Lobster Traps. Currently, no one knows exactly where we are to fish with the Traps, as no one has reported catching anything (and are, in fact, told that no fish are biting). However, the Fishing Poles ARE useful for catching some very rare lava-dwelling "fish". Unlike fishing poles on the regular shard, Lava poles eventually wear out and break (much as the ones on Siege Perilous do).

Rare Reward: Fishing Guidebooks. These Books (presumably 6 - I've not seen anyone report actually getting #6 yet) give some information as to the various fish types (shallow, deep, crustaceans, dungeon, and the REAL rares). the first 4 types are basically just cataloging the "normal" fish & crustacean types, while books 5 & 6 tell of the very rare types, and hint to where they might be caught.
Books 1, 2 & 4 appear to be the Tier One book rewards. Book 3 is quite a bit rarer, and may be on the second tier of rewards. Book 5 appears to be on the third reward tier. Note that the lower books can drop from higher tiers as well (as you go up tiers, the new books are added to the existing list, instead of replacing them).

Rare Reward: Fishing Powerscrolls. These are the rarest rewards (for now - books might become rarer, or be given a use). Available in 105, 110, 115 & 120 skill varieties, these also appear to follow the pattern of the Books (in that when you become eligible for the potential of a higher PS to drop, it is just added to the random list, instead of replacing the lower ones). In other words, just because you are eligible for a 110 or 115 to drop, doesn't mean that you won't be getting 105s occasionally.

Q9: Does reputation play a part?
James: Only in that it will limit the sizes of your orders

Q10: Why sometimes does a player receive a scroll, and the next time some bait or a book for the same weighted quest?
That is completely random. However, there are 4 order sizes which map to 4 categories of prizes. Each category has its own set of bait, books, scrolls, etc. (see Question 8)

Q11: Books? what are they good for? Are they just a useless "you lost the RNG" toss prize? Or do they have some use now or later, In other words, is it ok to just toss them or do I need to take up valuable storage space saving them for some later use?
James: They tell you where the fish are, and they are collectible. We realize that the books are dropping more than is appropriate. We want to improve the rarity of books and will be scheduling changes in an upcoming publish - we will let you know more when we have additional details.

I would just toss them unless you know someone who wants one. If there is ever an occasion to need one, you can just do the quest a few times and get another one. They are there as a collectable and to give you information about fish.

Thanks all!

Follow me on Twitter! @JamesMythic

A

anvira

EXTRA SUGGESTIONS

Due to a recent idea of petra, keep a bonded goat with you while fishing for thrash the shoes.
You can also keep a cat for thrash lobster, crab, and every kind of useless plain fish that you can find around :)
Oh how cute (and wildly appreciated!!!) I had no clue those little buggers liked shoes...and even at 113 fishing, I'm STIll getting a bit of em.

Thanks for the trick :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Some additions/corrections:

a. I just got a Level ONE Ship's Strongbox tonight. Only 10k gold, and one stack of ML gems. Didn't think to catalogue the rest of the contents.

b. The contents of a normal SOS chest is stacked as follows:

Bottom: The gold. In fact, there's so much stuff in a level 3 or 4 chest (and sometimes, level 2s, if the items are large) that you have to partially empty the chest just to see the gold.

Layer 2 (not always present): Special magic items. These are the kelp leggings, etc. as well as maps* and special fishing nets (other than the white nets).

Layer 3: Mundane magical items. This includes armor, weapons, and jewelry.

Layer 4: Scrolls
Layer 5: Regs (in stacks of 10 - if the same reg occurs more than once, the stacks are still separate stacks of 10).
Layer 6. Gems

Top Layer: White nets (Ancient SOS only)

*Treasure maps can occur as rare loot in SOS chests, at the same level as the chest, or one level higher.

R

Rascal Puff

The 1 in 25 odds are way to high for ancient fishing nets. I want to fish up Osiredon the Scalis Enforcer but it is almost impossible to get fabled nets. A couple of days ago we finally bought and dropped 5 fabled nets and got zero Scalis. This makes the odds of fishing up Scalis grow to at least 1 in 100. We have killed probably 3 Scalis previously with no artie drops so the actual odds of getting Scalis arties further grows to 1 in 500. Something needs to be done...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I feel your pain - I actually averaged about 1 in 15 for ASOS (getting 6 from about 90 MIB), then was given 3 more white nets, then got zero Scalis from the 9 white nets. Interestingly, the first 6 nets gave the locked boxes of Peerless regs, but the last 3 didn't. However, those last 3 might have predated High Seas.

R

Rascal Puff

I have come across another problem. I have spent a lot of hours catching Fred Lobster only to get to Vesper to redeem my quest and the fish monger will not find my ship even though it is within 4 tiles of him. Any suggestions???

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I have come across another problem. I have spent a lot of hours catching Fred Lobster only to get to Vesper to redeem my quest and the fish monger will not find my ship even though it is within 4 tiles of him. Any suggestions???

This has already been answered to death in a half-dozen threads here and on U.Hall.

There's a bug in the boat system - it's not recognizing the boat as yours. However, this means you can place another boat.

Get another boat (one of the classic types will do), place it next to your boat, then deliver the quest. Do NOT accept a new quest (cancel/refuse out of any that are offered - they won't count against you). Then dry-dock the 2nd boat.

IF you have multiple quests to deliver, you'll have to do this at each stop.

When you get all your quests delivered, unload your main boat, dry-dock it, and launch it again. This will fix your problem.

M

mon2000

Red Herring

I'm fishing for five hours or more by the character of fishing GM in the Underground.
I caught many dungeon fishes, White pearls, Delicate Scales and so on.
But I cannot get any Mud Puppy and Red Herring.
Isn't this a bug?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Re: Red Herring

Where at, specifically, in the Underworld?

M

mon2000

Where at, specifically, in the Underworld?
I am fishing at the three Fishing Areas introduced on above.
Moreover, I tried fishing at the pool in the room of Great-Poison-Elemental, at the Fountain of Fortune, and at the small island where two Kraken swims.
But I can't get the Mud Puppy and the Red Herring.

M

mon2000

Moreover, I tried fishing at the pool in the room of Great-Poison-Elemental, at the Fountain of Fortune, and at the small island where two Kraken swims.
I got two target fishes from a friend and achieved the Goblin Quests.

M

Muu Bin

My understanding is that Mud Puppies and Red Herrings can no longer be caught by those who have "upgraded" to the High Seas Booster. This bug seems to have been introduced some time after High Seas came out because I caught a Red Herring and a rare Lava Fish both on the same day in early December last year - both with the date stamped right on 'em.

:arr:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

It appears to have gone in as a bug, at the same time they were mucking around with the fish rates and loots in the summer, as I was still catching them in June and July, then in August could no longer catch any (right when I planned to have a player-ran event for the shard to catch them - one of the EMs on another shard had a similar idea that was wrecked by the change/bug).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's a little update for this thread....

Most water areas in Ter Mur proper are shallow water; There are believed to be areas north of the docks at the old "cure the gargoyles" event that might be deep water. But, if there are, I've not looked for them.

The water in the Valley of Eoden, even the tiniest of streams (like the ones between the champ spawn area and the road, are DUNGEON FISH areas. This also means that, like other dungeon fish areas, you can use Lobster traps in the water as well. As yet, no sign if there are any new special fish introduced. But, it sure makes fishing for dungeon fish a lot easier and safer.

Whyterose

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for posting this additional info, just coming back to the game after being gone 6-7 years this is quite helpful! :)

Nightmare of GL

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Oh how cute (and wildly appreciated!!!) I had no clue those little buggers liked shoes...and even at 113 fishing, I'm STIll getting a bit of em.

Thanks for the trick :)
I keep the trash lobster and crabs and turn them in to the fisher librarian quest as I want a Britannia ship. :)