• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Factions/RP and storylines.

B

Beleg Megil

Another question.

I can't find any comprehensive or "in depth" stories or history about the Fel factions from EA/Mythic. Does anyone know a thread or link that covers it? I've searched Stratics all morning, but I likely missed something.

I'm trying to decide which faction is right for Silverwood and "True Brits are the good guys, Shadowlords are the bad guys 'cause EA said so" doesn't really cut it for me. :mf_prop:

No, I'm not going to be doing a whole heck of a lot of PVP around the Yew gate, nor am I gonna try and force that crowd to RP, but I am looking to see which side, if any, Silverwood would support. Plus, I'd get to use Morph Earrings, and when the Supernova potion goes off, it looks really cool ;).

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
http://www.uoguide.com/Factions

So in a nutshell, Some Minax followers were not happy with their own leadership and summoned the Shadow Lords to overthrow British.

Council of Mages rebelled against British demanding new leadership. That's about all I can find.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA/OSI never released any history that ties factions into the general story. Factions was released a few months after Renaissance because they realized all their PvP'ers were "jumping ship" --- Renaissance was the split of the world into two, Fel and Tram (for others that may be reading this thread). So you will be hard pressed to find any "official" information on why Factions exist. People have over the years personally tied factions into their storylines and I think EA/OSI meant it as such, which is why they gave them familiar names, but they did not flesh it out themselves.

If anyone has the original Renaissance box manual, it does in fact mention Factions (even though it was NOT released as part of that expansion) but it just dotes it as a separate and new PvP system that allows players to "pick a side" and war each other in the style of Order vs. Chaos.

Now, Order vs. Chaos DID have a storyline from OSI... matter of fact all of Lord British guards were part of the ORDER system, if you remember. They all carried Order shields.

True Britannians had nothing to do with Lord British actually, they were supposed to have been seen as the "citizens of Britain" defending their turf. The reason the castle was selected as the "base" for TB was because it was a solid structure already in place and OSI did not want to build something else. PERSONALLY I had hoped they would take over Lord Blackthrone's castle and not Lord British because that made more sense to me... since he was defeated. It would make sense that citizens would "take over" that building, not Lord British's. *sighs*

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is the only semi in depth story I found from a old fan website posted feb 2001. Its doesn't include story's of any other faction. Not sure if it holds true to any UO lore.

Shadowlord History – 12th February 01 – nocturne

Was wandering around Felucca when I came across a gang of Death Knights, the Faction Guards of the Shadowlords. Was particularly impressed when I noticed their names – “Agent of Faulinei”, “Agent of Cowardice”, etc.

For those who don’t know, and, lacking any other news today, I’ve decided to give a quick recant of U5 history.

The Shadowlords were released from the three remaining shards of Mondain’s Gem when the Avatar removed the Codex from the bottom of the Stygian Abyss. Removing the Codex from its proper place also resulted in a series of earthquakes and cataclysms, and, ultimately, in the creation of the Underworld. Lord British led a party of explorers into the new Underworld, and was subsequently imprisoned by the Shadowlords. The Shadowlords then proceeded to corrupt the regent, Lord Blackthorn, and Sosaria entered a new age of Darkness.

The Shadowlords themselves represent the opposing forces of the three Principles. Faulinei, Shadowlord of Falsehood, opposes Truth; Astaroth, Shadowlord of Hatred, opposes Love; and Nosfentor, the Shadowlord of Cowardice, opposes Courage.

They were ultimately destroyed by the Avatar when their shards were recovered from the Underworld and cast into the flames of the Principles, at the Lycaeum, the Keep of Truth; Empath Abbey, the Keep of Love; and Serpent’s Hold, the Keep of Courage.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Keep in mind there are major faction changes on the way. (So far with no fiction to back it up)
The factions forum holds a few arguments regarding those changes. Erm... I mean discussions.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*Misses morph earrings...and all the other faction artifacts now locked in a chest*

Anywaaay...

I been wondering that, due to the True Brits being loyal to British...I wonder if they'd be loyal to Dawn as well... Storywise, not individual char, rp from guilds, etc.

*goes back to corner wearing his "FoA are #1" t-shirt...Because they be cool*

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. There is an official back story for the factions. I'll find it later, but basically... True Brits - Good Order; Lord British devotees. Council of Mages - Good Chaos; Lord British was good, but Britannia needs a new leadership that isn't dependent on a single figure. Shadownlords - Evil Chaos; Want the shadowlords to rule the world through destruction. Minax - Evil Order; Believe Minax should be the ruler of Sosaria.
2. None of the factions really work for Silverwood. CoM is probably closest. From an RP standpoint, it is very easy to claim that all of the factions have been corrupted, and none of them follow their original purpose anymore, and are instead used as excuses for people to murder each other.
3. There is a faction revamp coming soon, and we don't have the stories for it yet. All four existing factions will go away, and three new ones will appear.

B

Beleg Megil

Wow, thanks everyone!

Zah'Qim and Va'lis nail the points I was concerned about. As they stand currently, CoM seems to fit best for Silverwood of the choices...and *if* the members were role-playing the history of why it was formed. But its still not quite a good fit. Lord British was too "humans first" for Silverwood. I guess I'll just wait it out until the new system is put in place.

I hope the new factions make more sense for current times and actually have a story behind them.