• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"Faction armor distribution - Faction Armor will now cost silver" What does this mean?

• Thread starter archite666
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
A

archite666

I'm sorry I know there is a thread on this already but I have to ask.

What does this mean?

Faction arties already cost silver. I have not stopped checking these forums since I read that, its been like three days now and I feel like my brain is going to explode.

Admins I know there is a thread for the discussion but I feel its very off topic and this question has been missed by the DEVs.

Please answer this, I saw the changes have been posted UO.com and still nothing.

S

Sevin0oo0

it needed one of it's own
quoted: If only faction armor is limited to fel only somehow...... that is the only real way to balance.

faction artifacts with no restrictions is going to kill the market for normal arties
if you want to penalize the player, that's easy, Make being Red a requirement.

Isn't a slither around 20mil on the PVM side??? How's that compare to the Big Easy Button factions has? anything easy should have severe drawbacks attached. Petra started a thread on Factions - Faction Arties - I had an idea | Stratics Forums

Come comment, and click the "watch thread button" for easy notification of updates

A

archite666

Sevin... I don't even know where to begin...

I'm saying the info they gave did not make since. Faction arties already cost silver. They said, " We will remove faction rank requirements but faction arties will require silver" I believe there is more info here.

Please keep the topic of Pvers vs Pvpers in the other thread.

I'm looking for clarification of the update. I do not understand it.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
I guess Mesanna somehow missed that while "discussing plans for the near future of UO." (quoted from UOHerald) ;)

There are far more than enough ideas out there for factions to make one's head explode. I've never seen the point for it or seen how it fits into the game world. But most just want a system that isn't broken and accomplishes some benefit to the game. That seems like a no-brainer after all these years. But since the introduction of factions, that has apparently always been too much to ask. And I don't think the upcoming change will make a dime's worth of difference on that front.

But, it's better to be an optimist who is sometimes wrong than a pessimist who is always right :D

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cash, we will find out when it goes live on TC. No real point in speculating as none of us here knows...

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It means that Faction Artifacts will cost silver, but not require specific faction ranks. It's just that simple.

The devs have been turning simple statements into unnecessarily confusing obfuscations for almost 15 years. We should all be used to it by now.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it means the Faction arties needs silver to buy which is same as it is now, but, faction ranks are not needed, this is the changed part.

sativa green

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can't wait for this change on siege, where it's hard to even find an orange to gain rank.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
I think it means the Faction arties needs silver to buy which is same as it is now, but, faction ranks are not needed, this is the changed part.
Pssst, that means you agree with the post directly above yours.

But yeah, all of this speculation into what faction changes are going to be made. Really? I can just imagine the Devs sitting back now, thinking "Hmm, that kinda backfired. They think we might be making a major revamp to the system. Maybe we should spend 10 minutes of development time throwing a little extra in there than we had planned so they don't feel cheated."

With such limited development efforts, I think it's time to prioritize and probably even write off systems that will never realize their intended purpose (like Factions). Wake up call: There are like 6 people in Fel. on most shards now.

How about focusing such limited development efforts elsewhere. Like, I don't know... bug fixing and testing publishes before release? Trying to stop stuff from spawning in unreachable areas? Mass-deleting RtB houses? Removing antiquated parts of the game, consolidating, and improving code? Etc etc

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Pssst, that means you agree with the post directly above yours.

But yeah, all of this speculation into what faction changes are going to be made. Really? I can just imagine the Devs sitting back now, thinking "Hmm, that kinda backfired. They think we might be making a major revamp to the system. Maybe we should spend 10 minutes of development time throwing a little extra in there than we had planned so they don't feel cheated."

With such limited development efforts, I think it's time to prioritize and probably even write off systems that will never realize their intended purpose (like Factions). Wake up call: There are like 6 people in Fel. on most shards now.

How about focusing such limited development efforts elsewhere. Like, I don't know... bug fixing and testing publishes before release? Trying to stop stuff from spawning in unreachable areas? Mass-deleting RtB houses? Removing antiquated parts of the game, consolidating, and improving code? Etc etc
Or maybe you know.. borrowing 3 guys from floppin Star Wars project, for like.. I dunno half a year, and working on some graphi.. I mean. Long live UO!

*Edit for tastiness* Gimme some flippin cinnamon rolls in the cookin gump!

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Ok, let's make some quick comparisons.

Piano recital vs. UO: In a piano recital, a person begins to play some music.. He/she hits a sour note.. audience boos or thinks oh.. that sucked..

In UO, the people hit a sour chord, and they are booed or slandered.. and they are told it sucks.

Back to piano recital, player of musical piece continues to play and does not restart the piece. He also does not apologize. His hope though is that the gem he's playing is understood and he stands before his peers and audience and takes a bow.

back to UO, team constantly hits sour note, that is sour beyond measure, people boo it, constantly boo it, and boo it some more. They begin to wonder why this same sour chord is struck continously, and some people don't even listen/care for that kind of music. UO does not stop and listen to it's peers, or suggestions from it's audience (clearly). It just tries to find a why to make sour chord acceptable. But the performance would just be better in general if it quit striking the sour chord and trying to restart the piece over and over and over.. if it'd just take the piece it's working on, get it to a point and just leave it the meow alone for a while and move on to things that need to be played/*cough revamped or fixed*.

I'm basically trying to say, sure implement a system for everything.. And tweak that system to a point. Make sure the system is playable, without glaring exploits and then wham. Leave it alone and move on to you know.. graphic updates, a worthwhile expansion or "booster" (I hate that word is used when oft times they don't boost much of anything and introduce new boos), Instead, not only do we get systems that are full of obvious ways to exploit system beyond belief, they are buggy, glitchy or simply not well thought out and implemented at times when other things should have taken the forefront.

I love Ultima Online, alot. A lot of people do, even some of the people who troll on everything and anything, do. They wouldn't be here trolling if not, usually trollin because they feel the sour chord hitting is somebodies sickly concocted troll of their own, towards the player. Basically, let's say this latest faction update is a COMPLETE and total failure (again), in the eyes of factioneers. Just leave that crap alone long enough to actually focus on crap that everyone else is begging for a fix for or update on. I'll edit this post (in the assumption it hasn't gotten deleted, I don't think it should meow), and give examples of what I'm talking about if asked, hopefully with direct links to topics that people are talking about. As it stands, we're getting sweeping changes to the game and that's cool. Even necessary, but damnit, stop with the sweeping changes til you've swept up some performance/gameplay issues. Meow.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Question: Do you keep your character in UO in cat form? o_O

Oh, and about trolling: I've been called a troll myself. I think there are different definitions out there, and the trolls are sometimes not who we think they are. I believe a troll is someone who isn't sincere in their posting, and say something not because they want to express their viewpoint, but because they enjoy getting people upset, derailing a thread, or getting a rise out of people.

I am not a troll just for saying something like "welp, one more nail in UO's coffin" or "that Dev is laughing all the way to the bank." Troll is a crime of intentions, and so sometimes it's not easy to identify correctly. Sometimes someone who people think is a troll is actually in their mind calling a spade a spade

<end off-topic monologue>

Ok, let's make some quick comparisons.

Piano recital vs. UO: In a piano recital, a person begins to play some music.. He/she hits a sour note.. audience boos or thinks oh.. that sucked..

In UO, the people hit a sour chord, and they are booed or slandered.. and they are told it sucks.

Back to piano recital, player of musical piece continues to play and does not restart the piece. He also does not apologize. His hope though is that the gem he's playing is understood and he stands before his peers and audience and takes a bow.

back to UO, team constantly hits sour note, that is sour beyond measure, people boo it, constantly boo it, and boo it some more. They begin to wonder why this same sour chord is struck continously, and some people don't even listen/care for that kind of music. UO does not stop and listen to it's peers, or suggestions from it's audience (clearly). It just tries to find a why to make sour chord acceptable. But the performance would just be better in general if it quit striking the sour chord and trying to restart the piece over and over and over.. if it'd just take the piece it's working on, get it to a point and just leave it the meow alone for a while and move on to things that need to be played/*cough revamped or fixed*.

I'm basically trying to say, sure implement a system for everything.. And tweak that system to a point. Make sure the system is playable, without glaring exploits and then wham. Leave it alone and move on to you know.. graphic updates, a worthwhile expansion or "booster" (I hate that word is used when oft times they don't boost much of anything and introduce new boos), Instead, not only do we get systems that are full of obvious ways to exploit system beyond belief, they are buggy, glitchy or simply not well thought out and implemented at times when other things should have taken the forefront.

I love Ultima Online, alot. A lot of people do, even some of the people who troll on everything and anything, do. They wouldn't be here trolling if not, usually trollin because they feel the sour chord hitting is somebodies sickly concocted troll of their own, towards the player. Basically, let's say this latest faction update is a COMPLETE and total failure (again), in the eyes of factioneers. Just leave that crap alone long enough to actually focus on crap that everyone else is begging for a fix for or update on. I'll edit this post (in the assumption it hasn't gotten deleted, I don't think it should meow), and give examples of what I'm talking about if asked, hopefully with direct links to topics that people are talking about. As it stands, we're getting sweeping changes to the game and that's cool. Even necessary, but damnit, stop with the sweeping changes til you've swept up some performance/gameplay issues. Meow.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Question: Do you keep your character in UO in cat form? o_O

Oh, and about trolling: I've been called a troll myself. I think there are different definitions out there, and the trolls are sometimes not who we think they are. I believe a troll is someone who isn't sincere in their posting, and say something not because they want to express their viewpoint, but because they enjoy getting people upset, derailing a thread, or getting a rise out of people.

I am not a troll just for saying something like "welp, one more nail in UO's coffin" or "that Dev is laughing all the way to the bank." Troll is a crime of intentions, and so sometimes it's not easy to identify correctly. Sometimes someone who people think is a troll is actually in their mind calling a spade a spade

<end off-topic monologue>
Actually I assume many ingame forms. Usually I stay in human form, but I am known to go monkey/cat/and demon alot. I'd say about 40% of my time is spent in a different form. It's entertaining. Oh almost forgot Reaper form.

*Little after edit, I'm up in the wee hours V_V* But yes, sometimes I misuse the term troll, but I find it's kinda been mutated in general. Some people consider me a troll! To them I say no meowin way.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
do you really think it will work on seige??

j/k ;p
It will kill Siege again. But ok, they can have their factions arties if they can't be used vs non faction.
I see 3 ways,
1. They lose factions point if attacking and killing non faction
2. If they do have 5+ short time murder counts, they can't use them
3. If agressore to non faction, their extra mods on the items are not in use

sativa green

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will kill Siege again. But ok, they can have their factions arties if they can't be used vs non faction.
I see 3 ways,
1. They lose factions point if attacking and killing non faction
2. If they do have 5+ short time murder counts, they can't use them
3. If agressore to non faction, their extra mods on the items are not in use
it wouldn't kill siege, it would either not affect it or influence a few more players to actually join and play with us. i've seen two opposing faction members in the past 2 months.

all the stuff you're asking for doesn't even seem possible by current game mechanics.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
it wouldn't kill siege, it would either not affect it or influence a few more players to actually join and play with us. i've seen two opposing faction members in the past 2 months.

all the stuff you're asking for doesn't even seem possible by current game mechanics.
Yep and Siege is doing much better now where the stupid factions arties are hard to get. It almost died when we first got the items, guilds falled apart, non faction gave up PvP. If all factions again can run around in factions artifacts, Siege will die again.
I don't really care if factions do die on Siege, it was a mistake to add it in first place. The good old red vs blue was working fine. We did have alot evil guilds and I'm sure there was enough enemies to kill.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was thinking about this "faction arties will now cost silver" thing as well.

I'm thinking it's going to end up costing Faction Silver, in-place of gold for item insurance. which would mean Faction Silver will be expensive as hell, and there would be a true demand for it.
*if this is how it's going to be lets hope they increase the amount of silver you get per kill*

sativa green

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep and Siege is doing much better now where the stupid factions arties are hard to get. It almost died when we first got the items, guilds falled apart, non faction gave up PvP. If all factions again can run around in factions artifacts, Siege will die again.
I don't really care if factions do die on Siege, it was a mistake to add it in first place. The good old red vs blue was working fine. We did have alot evil guilds and I'm sure there was enough enemies to kill.
i'm not on siege to fight the trammies that do the PvM activities in a feluccian setting. i'm looking for good fights with skilled players. faction artifacts just even the playing field, allowing all players to get the same gear. since these artifacts are easily replaced through silver coins, the risk of losing them is nearly thrown out of the window, whereas, fighting with real artifacts and losing them would result in a diminished return of said player.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
i'm not on siege to fight the trammies that do the PvM activities in a feluccian setting. i'm looking for good fights with skilled players. faction artifacts just even the playing field, allowing all players to get the same gear. since these artifacts are easily replaced through silver coins, the risk of losing them is nearly thrown out of the window, whereas, fighting with real artifacts and losing them would result in a diminished return of said player.
Yes it may even the flaying fiels inside factions but when you may not use your factions gear vs non factions players, alot are doing that.
Also we did have alot PvP activitet between faction and non faction before we first got this items and it worked well. You should not have to be in faction to PvP. If faction did work on all facets on normal shards, you would not have any reason to play on Siege and we do not have trammies on Siege, they all accept the risk for getting killed else they would play in Trammel.
On Siege, PvP gear should not come from an easy button but from the player vendors.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it is a bummer that on Siege these things should happen but face the facts that they can only just manage to code the normal shards, you can't really expect those three points to roll over to your small shard. Have you forgot how long it took before the token items where delt with?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yes I know but I still hope they will listen, and maybe there are a solusion that will work on all shards inc Siege

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What they are leading up to is that if you want to play a faction character and buy arti-type armor for your char there will soon be an expansion pack that you can buy online at gamecodes to enable such (for like $9.95).

Since they messed with factions (again, and again, and again) I have not been playing my Johara or Daanyick accounts. I may just be shutting those one's down as I have seen minimal faction play on shards that used to be busy/competitive/entertaining.

Always amazes me that computer ppl can't speak promotions/consumer relations and promotions/consumer relations cannot speak 'computer.'

sativa green

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it may even the flaying fiels inside factions but when you may not use your factions gear vs non factions players, alot are doing that.
Also we did have alot PvP activitet between faction and non faction before we first got this items and it worked well. You should not have to be in faction to PvP. If faction did work on all facets on normal shards, you would not have any reason to play on Siege and we do not have trammies on Siege, they all accept the risk for getting killed else they would play in Trammel.
On Siege, PvP gear should not come from an easy button but from the player vendors.
i understand where you are coming from and i too am not for having factions and faction armor on siege either. however, this is a welcomed change as any person who is interested in playing factions can now join and get the proper items and use them as needed without requiring rank. until they remove factions from siege entirely, (if they ever do), this is a much needed change when it comes to the current situation.

from my experience, any active pvper on siege is in factions. this levels that playing field as you would repeatedly die to these players with all their artifacts ready to go, while you have nothing but GM arms lore exceptional armor.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What they are leading up to is that if you want to play a faction character and buy arti-type armor for your char there will soon be an expansion pack that you can buy online at gamecodes to enable such (for like $9.95).
I'll support UO and upgrade my accounts for the $9.95 as long as there aren't any restrictions on where I can wear the faction items.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's so funny. When they said they are implementing the stupid kill points scaling that screwed up 95% of the faction people to rearrange new suits. I am the first person who stepped up and said what they did is totally wrong.. Then there are bunch of biased people here flame me for that, and once the patch goes in, part of those biased bunch of people are the ones saying they are gonna quit UO because they cannot play PVP in cross shards... JOKE OF THE CENTURY. and anyways they didn't listen to my advice and ended up pvp got cut down by a whole lot and most people just turned their chars to blues, 100% of my forecast had came true.

Anyways, now they listened to 1/100th of my advice for removal of the faction requirement totally for faction artifacts. Well, not sure its too late or not, but at least its the right direction.

Regarding to "Faction Armor now costs Silver", I am guessing that maybe they're saying Faction Armor now costs silver to insurance and upon death costs silver to reinsurance.

Of course, if 1 pc of armor costs 600 or 800 of silver coins, it will be a tad too much. Anyways, this is also in part of my 1/100th of my proposal for fixing the issues where Trammies just get the afs and go back to Trammel for farming.

Just gonna repeat myself once again. If UO faction is to be revived, UO must hire me or listen to my idea of improvement for factions. Period.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
JOKE OF THE CENTURY.
What did the guy say when he walked into the bar?

"Ouch!"

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Dude, seriously. Relax a little. Enjoy your gaming and your life. Don't stress so much over small stuff. UO is UO. It is what it is. I was sad to see PvP die on my shard because of foul faction changes. Time has passed. People have moved on. I suggest you try moving on as well. I promise they will mess it up another half dozen times before they make it right, if it ever happens. At least they are trying. Late or not.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
from my experience, any active pvper on siege is in factions. this levels that playing field as you would repeatedly die to these players with all their artifacts ready to go, while you have nothing but GM arms lore exceptional armor.
Many Siege guilds was builded of a mix of crafters, PvM'er, PvP'ers defending the weaker members and enjoying fighting the PK's. This guilds can't join faction as many of their members are not PvP'ers and need to be safe in town.
Only one guild are left now, that's GIL, the others are gone. That mean less targets for the PK's and without sheeps, the wolves will die too or move to other shards.
I really believe the best thing is to remove the factions items from Siege. You do not have to drop down to play in GM armor. You can get a imbued suit with mods that not take the expensive resources for 100-200k or you can farm the the expensive resources and trade them for a better suit.
Before we got the factions items, we only had gm armor but time has changed.
Your victim may also have some nice loot, not just cheap gm armor.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
I think I missed the post with your advice. Or there was so many posts like that it just blended in.

But I guess we need to start with agreeing what the problem is before we can even begin to agree on the solution.

I appreciate there are different playstyles we're talking about here and PvP has been around since the beginning. But are you suggesting that PvPers should basically get superior gear for free, and "Trammies" should continue spending hours getting weaker versions of these items?

If not, then please clarify.

It's so funny. When they said they are implementing the stupid kill points scaling that screwed up 95% of the faction people to rearrange new suits. I am the first person who stepped up and said what they did is totally wrong.. Then there are bunch of biased people here flame me for that, and once the patch goes in, part of those biased bunch of people are the ones saying they are gonna quit UO because they cannot play PVP in cross shards... JOKE OF THE CENTURY. and anyways they didn't listen to my advice and ended up pvp got cut down by a whole lot and most people just turned their chars to blues, 100% of my forecast had came true.

Anyways, now they listened to 1/100th of my advice for removal of the faction requirement totally for faction artifacts. Well, not sure its too late or not, but at least its the right direction.

Regarding to "Faction Armor now costs Silver", I am guessing that maybe they're saying Faction Armor now costs silver to insurance and upon death costs silver to reinsurance.

Of course, if 1 pc of armor costs 600 or 800 of silver coins, it will be a tad too much. Anyways, this is also in part of my 1/100th of my proposal for fixing the issues where Trammies just get the afs and go back to Trammel for farming.

Just gonna repeat myself once again. If UO faction is to be revived, UO must hire me or listen to my idea of improvement for factions. Period.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Past and Present, this seems an issue that keeps coming up, a rule I can't agree with. I'll start a separate thread shortly..
I don't think I understand what you mean with that

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate there are different playstyles we're talking about here and PvP has been around since the beginning. But are you suggesting that PvPers should basically get superior gear for free, and "Trammies" should continue spending hours getting weaker versions of these items?
Exactly.

Z

Zyon Rockler

If they did it right they could easy get 20$.. Plus if it was fun they might get alot of ppl to play , that could add up over time.
Right?:shots:

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not like any of the faction bases or guildhouses are hidden...

That said, this gets turned back on making grinding for rank 10 artys a requirement again for pvp on siege, you can count me out, I've been through that once already... You can count one fewer orange to fight if it gets turned on.

When I joined siege I was there just early enough to see what it did to the shard the first time, it's BARELY just now starting to recover since so many guilds left in full due to it, doing this now would basicly be twisting the knife one final time....