• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FaceBook~ New level of Stalking/Harrassing?

• Thread starter master_of_none
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

<blockquote><hr>

IMO You shouldn't!

The default settings should be set to private, at least. I have 82 sims. LOL How long would it take me to make all of those private? It has to be done one sim at a time. I blocked a few sims on the acct, just to see how time consuming it is. <u>Once marked private, I checked the profile again and the lots I had visited last still show.</u>

[/ QUOTE ]
To be fair, I think we have to assume that is a glitch. Or maybe the settings aren't updated immediately.
Dunno.

G

I thought maybe they will stay but not show any further. idk LOL I really do not care. It was just something to do. This really does not affect me at this time. Some day I might want to do something sneaky though.

M

master_of_none

So, through making the experience myself at the start of this thread... going and making an account, checking on some of the button tabs etc... finding out how to mouse over a face on lot or on my link friendships to see names, to actually clicking on their faces for their data page... I went into world and during an IM conversation with my virtual wife..
I asked her, so... you logged in after we went off last night huh? She was like, no... slept til 9am... so, I went on to say... I have something to show you.. and I copy pasted the most current online, time and places she went... first reaction,... you sound like you don't trust me!
I had to explain to her... had nothing to do with that, that I was only showing her the new thing I found today that I had picked up from tso-e.com this morning. She was very clear, she hadn't been online after we went to bed, and yes, I believe her... I noticed that the "current" times even showing were ALL wrong.. Needless, the wife was upset

FYI= It really is none of my business when she logs on/off, or where she comes and goes.. I trust her completely in devotion of what we share.
Just wanted to give an experienced example how this is not a good thing way set up.

K

Krystal Bell

<blockquote><hr>

All these things should be 'opt in' by choice, rather than 'jump through hoops to opt out'.

It is totally arrogant of EA to assume that everyone is happy to be listed in this Facebook thing unless they go through a variety of steps to get out of it.

I shouldn't have to sign up to something just to be excluded from something I didn't want to be part of in the first place. "Social networking" is not something that interests me in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you 150%. I very much dislike that EA has done this, its a violation of privacy at the very least.

G

ROFL
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for posting this example. Have you seen the blog post? They are wanting to add streaming video. This is all good. If the lot owner is okay with it. However, some things are private.
From the blog:
<blockquote><hr>

What other widgets would you like to see? One that shows the prices of objects being sold at a store? Or how about live video streaming from a lot??

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the Link

I think everyone should post their opinions. If they have not already.

G

<blockquote><hr>

its a violation of privacy at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

if, some people are worrying about privacy, then maybe don't create a avatar facebook. EA is NOT! twisting your arms to create one people.

G

LOL

your sims are there too! omg you didn't know?

it shows all the sims for every account on that thing, you don't ever need to sign up for facebook.. unless, that is, you want to preserve what little of your privacy you can in this new game they call EA Land. Then you had best sign up and block it, it's the only way we have to opt out of it and to me, that just isn't right.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Aw, geez - not this crap again?
I thot this was pretty much settled.

Not facebook nor buttbook or any other widget, gadget or doohickey should (without the permission of the subscriber) display any more information about a fellow sim than can be seen in-game.
Why is it so hard for some to respect the wishes of those who do not want to participate???

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly! Why do I HAVE to sign up JUST to get MY privacy from something i do NOT want or need?!?!?! For those of you that don't care fine thats your perogative however what about thsoe fo us who do care? Oh that's right i forget in the VIPER PIT aka CH most ppls opinions don't matter. You have to have a zillion posts to matter here. Or get called a noob to the boards... even those of us who have been here 5 years and needed to create a new account here due to an old email account issue. juts my 2 simoleons. or w/e currency u prefer!

G

<blockquote><hr>

The way I figure it...if you don't have anything to hide in the game, then it really shouldn't bother you.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's NOT about in game anything Dutch. It's about our RIGHTS to privacy period! What is so hard to get about this??? This is your RL stuff being brought into an online game you play, wich i thought was against their own rules was it not?

G

<blockquote><hr>

if, some people are worrying about privacy, then maybe don't create a avatar facebook. EA is NOT! twisting your arms to create one people.

[/ QUOTE ]
How VERY untrue. They never gave us an OPTION to opt IN have they?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

That being said...
I still think we should have control over who can see our sims info outside of the game. Does anyone know if someone on facebook who does NOT have a TSO account can view this information?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with a facebook account that is logged in can visit

http://apps.facebook.com/avatarbook

as a visitor.

Why on earth anyone would want to look at a bunch of EA-Land avatars and information pages is beyond me. Even if they look at it, they won't have a clue what it is. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Gracie, I need a 'Facebook' for Dummies book. Could you help me out if you know the answer to this?

I went and tried to 'surf' the Avatar Pages. When I did a 'general search' of the avatar pages, only 6 pages of avatars came up. When I searched for a couple of friends I know are still in the game but aren't on my page, they did not show up. When I searched for my own sims, they did not show up. The only sim that came up under search was the sim I had selected for my avatar book.

I am wondering if in order to actually 'view' someone's avatar in the avatar book from outside the game, wouldn't the player have needed to set up their 'Facebook' already and installed it onto their page?

(For those wondering, this was an 'outside' search of Facebook not from inside the game. The issue was raised about 'outsiders' viewing the info.)

When you click Avatar Book...this is what it says:...

"Create avatars and build a personal page for each avatar you create. Navigate through the avatar friend web and interact with other avatars. Share your avatar activity with your friends and use it to play EA games.Users: 160 daily active users (5%)"

(6 pages is about 160 users and I do believe there are more than 160 avatars in EAland isn't there?)

When you click the application it says:

When you become a fan of Avatar Book, it will display on your profile. Allow Avatar Book to send Updates to the Updates tab of my Facebook Inbox. (You choose to accept or not.)

Anyone wanna help me out with this? Where do I find that gigantic list of all the sims in EAland on Facebook?

***And don't we have to have an 'EALand' log in to use Avatar Book?

G

NOIP
Has anyone actually read the privacy agreement of Facebook?
It is quite eye opening.
They acknowledge that their purpose is the sharing of information, and because of that, users do not have full control of all of their information.

I recommend that everyone that uses Facebook, and has not read fully the privacy agreement, do so at the earliest opportunity. If you are thinking about registering, read the agreement fully and be sure you understand it before you agree to it.

This is yet another reason for automatic opt-out. Being compelled to register in order to block your sim in EA Land opens you up to the possibility of unexpected and unwelcome exploitation.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

You seem to be the expert.

Can you give me a link to the 'master avatar' page in Facebook? You know...where all those 'forced to be on Facebook' sims are?

I have yet to find it.

I would like it clarified as to whether the sims are actually there or not before this conversation goes any further. Because this whole point may just be a waste of time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Can you give me a link to the 'master avatar' page in Facebook?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I can't. I'm not an expert.
I never got farther than the privacy agreement, so I don't know the mechanics of the site.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I never got farther than the privacy agreement, so I don't know the mechanics of the site.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is....unless you have set up your 'Facebook' page and placed the 'Avatar Page' application on it...your sims are probably not available...which means why would people 'opt' out of something they aren't in to begin with?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is....unless you have set up your 'Facebook' page and placed the 'Avatar Page' application on it...your sims are probably not available...which means why would people 'opt' out of something they aren't in to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're guessing?
No offense, but a guess doesn't ease my concern.

P

Purdy

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP
It is quite eye opening.
They acknowledge that their purpose is the sharing of information, and because of that, users do not have full control of all of their information.

I recommend that everyone that uses Facebook, and has not read fully the privacy agreement, do so at the earliest opportunity. If you are thinking about registering, read the agreement fully and be sure you understand it before you agree to it.

This is yet another reason for automatic opt-out. Being compelled to register in order to block your sim in EA Land opens you up to the possibility of unexpected and unwelcome exploitation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean from Facebooks privacy agreement?

When you visit Facebook you provide us with two types of information: personal information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected by us and Web Site use information collected by us as you interact with our Web Site.

We may use information about you that we collect from other sources, including but not limited to newspapers and Internet sources such as blogs, instant messaging services, Facebook Platform developers and other users of Facebook, to supplement your profile. Where such information is used, we generally allow you to specify in your privacy settings that you do not want this to be done or to take other actions that limit the connection of this information to your profile (e.g., removing photo tag links).

So they search the Web for info on you and put it in your profile. What the hell is that!! I'm not signing up with them. I have nothing to hide but I don't want someone searching the web for info about me (that may not even be true) and put it in my profile.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP
It is quite eye opening.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you visit Facebook you provide us with two types of information: personal information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected by us and Web Site use information collected by us as you interact with our Web Site.

We may use information about you that we collect from other sources, including but not limited to newspapers and Internet sources such as blogs, instant messaging services, Facebook Platform developers and other users of Facebook, to supplement your profile. Where such information is used, we generally allow you to specify in your privacy settings that you do not want this to be done or to take other actions that limit the connection of this information to your profile (e.g., removing photo tag links).

So they search the Web for info on you and put it in your profile. What the hell is that!! I'm not signing up with them. I have nothing to hide but I don't want someone searching the web for info about me (that may not even be true) and put it in my profile.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least my guess is based on fact and not on 'paranoia'.

Basically, if you don't want to have your sim included in the avatar book, then don't sign up for Facebook and don't install the "Avatar Book". If players decided to use the "Avatar Book", they will need to follow the instructions to set up their personal options.

But it is missleading to have people here making 'false assumptions' without educating themselves.

And if players don't like the ToS that Facebook offers, they can choose not to participate.

Simple isn't it?

As far as 'in-game' considerations, players that are that squeamish about having there 'where abouts known' should ask homeowners if they are set up under the Avatar Book and then leave if they don't want to be seen there.

Seems to me as though this is just a 'witch hunt' thread and I'm done participating in it unless someone can show us where this 'master list of sims' is located on 'Facebook'.

Have fun proliferating paranoia!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP
It is quite eye opening.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's the way I read it too.
Then there's this:
<blockquote><hr>

Where such information is used, we generally allow you to specify in your privacy settings that you do not want this to be done or to take other actions that limit the connection of this information to your profile (e.g., removing photo tag links).

[/ QUOTE ]
They are saying that you can deny them permission to share the collected info except under certain, but unspecified, circumstances. ("we <u>generally</u> allow")

We are bound by these terms whether we sign up to become an active user, or if we just sign up to be able to block our sims.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

LMAO....Facebook and many others have been doing that for a long time...gathering information about people. And your just learning that?

Has anyone here ever 'Googled' themselves?

Even in death, you can't even stop the sharing of your personal information on the internet.

I googled myself and found a lot of information....but it was mostly on a police detective in Ohio who happens to have my name and is enfamous for some of the cases she has solved.

However, I can google my kids, my parents....heck I can google my 8th great grandparents and find them. (I'm into genealogy so I often just 'google' names)

But the convo was on Avatars on Facebook and they aren't there unless you set them up to be there. You have to 'install' the Avatar Book application which was created by our team in order to set up the page showing your Avatar.

The argument was just 'being included' automatically which is false. Sims are not 'included' automatically.

For those of us wishing to learn more about the people we play with, this is a nice tool that we can use to do that. That's all it is.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP
It is quite eye opening.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least my guess is based on fact and not on 'paranoia'.

Basically, if you don't want to have your sim included in the avatar book, then don't sign up for Facebook and don't install the "Avatar Book". If players decided to use the "Avatar Book", they will need to follow the instructions to set up their personal options.

But it is missleading to have people here making 'false assumptions' without educating themselves.

And if players don't like the ToS that Facebook offers, they can choose not to participate.

Simple isn't it?

As far as 'in-game' considerations, players that are that squeamish about having there 'where abouts known' should ask homeowners if they are set up under the Avatar Book and then leave if they don't want to be seen there.

Seems to me as though this is just a 'witch hunt' thread and I'm done participating in it unless someone can show us where this 'master list of sims' is located on 'Facebook'.

Have fun proliferating paranoia!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is getting to be as clear as mud - I'm not sure if we are even talking about the same thing anymore.
So, I am taking my questions to a new thread in the hope that this can be straightened out once and for all.

P

Purdy

Yes I have googled myself and found an artist in another state with the same name. Other than that I found nothing. I'm sure if I searched some more I would have found something - so why should I volunteer info about myself?

I'm not paranoid, I just don't want to give out info on me if I don't have to. So I choose not to join Facebook. It's a personal decision and I don't like that to be able to use Avatar book we have to be forced to join something that some of us don't want to. Anybody else who doesn't have a problem with Facebook join it and have fun. I'm not telling anyone that they can't be part of it.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

One of the reasons I am "paranoid" about privacy on the 'net is that I am involved in an organization that studies privacy issues. The internet has exposed us all to invasions of privacy that, unfortunately, most people have no inkling about. Really, I'll bet you have no idea.

Few people who sign up at Facebook understand what they are risking by signing up. The fact that we need to sign up opt out of participation is outrageous. It is a gold mine (diamond mine!) arrangement for Facebook.

Do yourself a favor today. Go to http://epic.org/privacy/facebook/

I STRONGLY advise you to browse and read the articles at the bottom of that page; articles about privacy issues and Facebook which appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, etc.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Nope, we are not talking about the same thing at all.

The conversation which originally was concerning was the involuntary participation of sims with Avatar Book on Facebook has changed over to concerns over Facebook policies it seems.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

One of the reasons I am "paranoid" about privacy on the 'net is that I am involved in an organization that studies privacy issues. The internet has exposed us all to invasions of privacy that, unfortunately, most people have no inkling about. Really, I'll bet you have no idea.

Few people who sign up at Facebook understand what they are risking by signing up. The fact that we need to sign up opt out of participation is outrageous. It is a gold mine (diamond mine!) arrangement for Facebook.

I STRONGLY advise you to browse and read the articles at the bottom of that page; articles about privacy issues and Facebook which appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Throws hands up in air and walks away*

I just wish that posters would not mislead players into believing they 'have' to sign up for Facebook because 'Avatar Pages' have been 'automatically' created for them. A personal Avatar Page is not created until a player actually does it.

So if people don't want to use Facebook...they don't have to.

They don't have to 'sign up' to 'opt out' because they aren't there until they sign up.....(read that fast 3 times....I dare ya!)

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

The conversation which originally was concerning was the involuntary participation of sims with Avatar Book on Facebook has changed over to concerns over Facebook policies it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Involuntary participation...yes. In order to enjoy or block Avatar book participation one must sign up on Facebook. Facebook then has your information in their database. Read the commentaries and news articles on the page I linked in my post earlier.

I'd say it is all one and the same discussion.

P

Purdy

I heard something today on the news about Facebook. Now employers are looking at sites like these to find out about job applicants. What does what you put on Facebook have to do with your qualifications for a job?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

*Throws hands up in air and walks away*

I just wish that posters would not mislead players into believing they 'have' to sign up for Facebook because 'Avatar Pages' have been 'automatically' created for them. A personal Avatar Page is not created until a player actually does it.

So if people don't want to use Facebook...they don't have to.

They don't have to 'sign up' to 'opt out' because they aren't there until they sign up.....(read that fast 3 times....I dare ya!)

[/ QUOTE ]

You, yourself, signed up at Facebook to check out the Avatar book.

Congratulations, Facebook now has your information tucked away in their database.

Do you know what they do with that information?

M

mysticlisa516

I am not signed up with Facebook, but a friend in game was able to pull up information on my avatar. This is a total lack of privacy. I only sign up to sites that I want to be on, I shouldn't have to sign up on a site just so that I cannot be seen by others.

I don't care if people find me, BUT that still does not give EA the right to give out my private information without my consent.

I never had the wanting to sign up for Facebook, but now that this has come to light it looks like I will have no choice to sign up for a site that I have no inclination of participating in. Just another example of how EA is forcing us to do something and we have no choice in the matter.

EA, get a clue!!!! I want to control my privacy, not you.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Involuntary participation...yes. In order to enjoy or block Avatar book participation one must sign up on Facebook. Facebook then has your information in their database. Read the commentaries and news articles on the page I linked in my post earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the heck is this 'Master Avatar List' supposedly on Facebook?

I really wish someone could back up their 'rumor' with a link to the "Master Avatar List'.

But they can't because there isn't one...and if there isn't one then what's the issue? You don't have to 'block' Avatar book if you haven't signed up for it!

Nobody is breaking anyone's arms to sign up for Facebook!

Why do I feel like getting out a shovel and digging people's heads out of the sand?

Go ahead and encourage the paranoia...it doesn't help anyone.

LOL but if you are friends of someone that 'is' on facebook...you'll be on their page...guess you guys will have to be more careful who you befriend hey?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wish someone could back up their 'rumor' with a link to the "Master Avatar List'.

But they can't because there isn't one...and if there isn't one then what's the issue? You don't have to 'block' Avatar book if you haven't signed up for it!

Why do I feel like getting out a shovel and digging people's heads out of the sand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bear with me.
Assuming you are right - why are so many others saying just the opposite?
Is it possible that we are *still* talking about different things?

I don't know from Master Avatar Lists, or Avatar pages - I just want to know - yes or no - Can information on my Sim (who may be skilling at so-and-so's house) be accessed through Facebook/Avatarbook EVEN THOUGH I have never had a Facebook account?
If "yes", do I have to have a Facebook account in order to block that feature?

That's all I'm concerned about. I just want factual info so I can make an informed decision regarding the game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

LOL but if you are friends of someone that 'is' on facebook...you'll be on their page...guess you guys will have to be more careful who you befriend hey?

[/ QUOTE ]
Like we have control over that.

I guess that answers my question.

I

imported_JimDog

<blockquote><hr>

I don't know from Master Avatar Lists, or Avatar pages - I just want to know - yes or no - Can information on my Sim (who may be skilling at so-and-so's house) be accessed through Facebook/Avatarbook EVEN THOUGH I have never had a Facebook account?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Yes

N

NightFlyer

You just miss the point. Face Book and/or Avatar Book should be opt IN, not register to opt out. Privacy issues are being infinged upon. The issue is not who has what to hide or not it is the principle of the whole thing. Seems an easy enough fix.

Anyone who wants to opt IN can do so. No one stops you. Those of us who choose not to opt IN shouldn't be required to do anything to opt OUT. Just don't include us.

This needs to be changed.

Does EA even listen to players concerns? At one time I thought they did and was told this was being looked into but now...I sincerely doubt EA gives two shakes about what the player base wants.

N

NightFlyer

JimDog, I thought this situation was being addressed? Guess not, huh?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

You just miss the point. Face Book and/or Avatar Book should be opt IN, not register to opt out. Privacy issues are being infinged upon. The issue is not who has what to hide or not it is the principle of the whole thing. Seems an easy enough fix.

Anyone who wants to opt IN can do so. No one stops you. Those of us who choose not to opt IN shouldn't be required to do anything to opt OUT. Just don't include us.

This needs to be changed.

Does EA even listen to players concerns? At one time I thought they did and was told this was being looked into but now...I sincerely doubt EA gives two shakes about what the player base wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever! LMAO

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Yes<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Yes

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you - I know you are knowledgeable in this area.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

When you log in to the Avatar book -- and yes, I did, I'm there now -- you use the "search Avatar book" to locate any avatar. I was not sure what you meant by "Master Avatar book" -- if you were looking for a document with zillions of pages that is not what it is. The "book" part is maybe misleading. It is more aptly "Avatar data base."

I just looked up two alts of mine that are on an EA account not linked to the one I used to sign up on Facebook and there they are -- when they were created, where they have been visiting, what their skills are, etc. Neither has any friends and neither is known to any of you -- so they didn't appear via a friend page.

I looked up lots of avatars. It appears that all avatars registered with EA that are in EA Land or TC3 are in the database. (Not sure, but it appeared that sims not yet merged from the legacy cities are not included, yet.)

In order to block my avatar in-game activities from being watched from outside the game I needed to sign up at Facebook. Then, I had to link to my EA account. I need to do this on all my EA accounts if I want to opt out of having my game info visible. This means that Facebook will have my personal information, as well as my EA account names, for their data collection purposes.

P

Purdy

With all this discussion on this topic why hasn't any of the dev. or Parizad come here and comment on it? Maybe EA is using Facebook to gather info on us? Paranoia setting in here. hmmm

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

With all this discussion on this topic why hasn't any of the dev. or Parizad come here and comment on it? Maybe EA is using Facebook to gather info on us? Paranoia setting in here. hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahah. Believe me. I'm sure the devs have access to alot more about you than facebook has. Bet they know how much money you spent on groceries this week ,even.

G

<blockquote><hr>

As for properties....I think it's kinda neat. I've often said I'd like to know what roomies have been on or not been on, or if my house needs to be open and such...I like that part.

[/ QUOTE ]

For clarification, does that mean that a house owner can see which roomies logged into the house and for how long? Hubby and I were recently discussing as a house owner how handy it would be to have a feature like this, because you'd not only be able to monitor which roomies were on at the same time you were on, you'd be able to see whether or not they'd logged in period over a week's time, and make better choices on who was 'dead weight' based on more than 2nd hand knowledge or assumptions. If that is what this does for properties, then I love it too!

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

As for properties....I think it's kinda neat. I've often said I'd like to know what roomies have been on or not been on, or if my house needs to be open and such...I like that part.

[/ QUOTE ]

For clarification, does that mean that a house owner can see which roomies logged into the house and for how long? Hubby and I were recently discussing as a house owner how handy it would be to have a feature like this, because you'd not only be able to monitor which roomies were on at the same time you were on, you'd be able to see whether or not they'd logged in period over a week's time, and make better choices on who was 'dead weight' based on more than 2nd hand knowledge or assumptions. If that is what this does for properties, then I love it too!

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't give specific information like that. You can look up your property at any given point and see who is there. You can see when the last time a roomie logged into game and it does list the last 3 houses they visited.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahah. Believe me. I'm sure the devs have access to alot more about you than facebook has. Bet they know how much money you spent on groceries this week ,even.

[/ QUOTE ]
I sincerely hope you're joking.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I meant what your avatar spent on groceries. Silly.

G

I don't know what you did wrong, but I have no problem searching for sims who are not on my web.

This isn't just about people from out of the game being able to snoop, it's about anyone being able to use a web page or a widget to be able to see things about us that they could not see while they are actually in the game.

It's about the fact that instead of allowing those of YOU who want to use this stuff to opt in for it, that they force it on all of us and the only way of opting out at all is to sign up for something we don't want to use to start with and blocking what little they allow us to block.

G

*TTL*

OK I'm gonna say this again because apparently my last 10 times saying it hasnt sunk in:

You do NOT have to use any Real Life info on Facebook

My FB page is set up from my sim info. There is nothing more RL on there then you can find out about me here, like the fact that I live in WI. My pic is on there but its been published here and on YIM for years. Oh I guess I do have my high school, but since its not my real name I guess that doesnt matter.

Everyone should take internet privacy seriously. Never reveal more information then you feel comfortable with.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

OK I'm gonna say this again because apparently my last 10 times saying it hasnt sunk in:

You do NOT have to use any Real Life info on Facebook

[/ QUOTE ]
So what?

You shouldn't have to register for anything, lie during sign-up, jump through hoops, or take any other kind of action to "opt out" of a system that is giving away information about you, your sims, or anything concerning you.

Allowing the disimination of information about you or your sims should require those who wish to do so to "opt in".

P

Purdy

Niki have you read Facebooks privacy agreement. This is some of it:

Facebook searches the web gathering up info about you and they have the right to put that in your profile. So maybe they find something about you that's disturbing but not true, they can put that on your profile?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Niki have you read Facebooks privacy agreement. This is some of it:

Facebook searches the web gathering up info about you and they have the right to put that in your profile. So maybe they find something about you that's disturbing but not true, they can put that on your profile?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but the bolded part tells me that when they find such information, you will be given the opportunity to block that info from being seen, so the only thing you'd need to do to combat that is to keep a daily check on it, and block any new info that is there from being seen. I'd imagine that they have a clause like this so that, hypothetically, if a person is a child molester and there is a newspaper article about it, FB can come in and flag that account with that information, to alert other people to the fact that this person is under investigation for same. That protects innocents (children) which to me is a good thing, and maybe if people think of it that way they'll see there's a good side to it too.

G

Well let me think, I use this name on net stuff but that would be limited to TSO/EA Land the blog, wiki and now FB. I have googled the name and found some other Niki Kings out there but they are not me. So far FB has not added anything to my page that I didnt intitiate.

Not long ago I saw an interview with the FB dude. From what he said it sounds like the level of info sharing would be like I see a hat advertised on a FB page and click on it and buy it. That link usage goes into a database that the advertising of said hat was effective. FB being free to users means they have to have advertising to continue to offer the service for free. I dont click on ads, I dont shop online anymore either tho. Us using FB and AB is free advertising for EA Land. Anyone who views my page will see references to EA Land.

Another thing is FB privacy settings are set to high automatically, such as you click on my FB page but you are not my friend, you will see extremely limited info unless you add me to your friend list. Lets say I dont want you to see my full page so when I accept your friend request I check a box that says you still only get limited access. It can be limited even further by selecting that only my name is accessable unless you are on my friend list. E-mails are automatically listed on the FB page so to remove that I simply had to go to my options and select it to be private.