• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FaceBook~ New level of Stalking/Harrassing?

• Thread starter master_of_none
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

master_of_none

Everyone read up at tso-e.com on the new facebook abilities???

"If you click on the image of a lot in the search list, you will be taken to a page that displays a Google gadget (uh, widget) containing information about who is currently on that lot."

My view, has it's pro's and con's
Great for homeowners, and roomies to see their lot's while offline to see if they need to login to open lot, or how it's going.
Biggest concern is, why have a button in world if it fails to do it's job outside world (for those who do not want to be seen)?
I read the comments left behind on the issue, with one person stating on the facebook page there is a privacy tab. However, for many of us in world who do not have facebook, would be out of loop on using such thing. I suppose only way is to encourage everyone to get this feature just for that privacy surance?
Myself, looking into facebook for first time (admission) just to see first hand the whole scope of it.
Sounds like it has alot of cool things, however though we know at any given time an EA employee can view invisable whatever they want on any lot, but, the neighboring player? Seems somethings are going bit to far in my thoughts.
What is all your take on it?

G

All these things should be 'opt in' by choice, rather than 'jump through hoops to opt out'.

It is totally arrogant of EA to assume that everyone is happy to be listed in this Facebook thing unless they go through a variety of steps to get out of it.

I shouldn't have to sign up to something just to be excluded from something I didn't want to be part of in the first place. "Social networking" is not something that interests me in the slightest.

G

I hadn't thought of it that way before - that you can't opt out unless you opt-in.

I'm on the fence about avatar book. I joined because I wanted to see what AB was like and don't really have a problem with people from TGSTBFCTSO writing me ... but I think I'm going to need to go redo my registration, as now 3 from my real life people are trying to connect to me through facebook ... and I don't want to connect to real life people through facebook.

M

master_of_none

Update~ just signed up for facebook, and let me tell you... I'm AMAZED! I just did this, know very little of the gadgets yet, however learned real quick, can click on any "friend" on link list.. and know date and time where they've been!!!
This is going to be very interesting, and wonders how many really don't realize!
I did find the privacy button!! You can block your lots you've visited, and your bookmarks from being visable to public!
But, learning quick, have to be a member of this facebook to ensure your privacy to a some sort of limits. Guess going to have to make accounts to do the blocks on my other accounts also LOL.

G

All this to me stinks of some kind of 'financial arrangement' between Facebook and EA, and of course Facebook carry paid advertisments.

Congratulations. We've all been sold out. Again.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Egads!!!

Don't make a big deal of it.

If you don't want anyone to know your personal business, then don't do anything. No body will know any more or any less then what you are willing to provide to them in face book.

M

master_of_none

<blockquote><hr>

Egads!!!

Don't make a big deal of it.

If you don't want anyone to know your personal business, then don't do anything. No body will know any more or any less then what you are willing to provide to them in face book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Egads! Not so... I never provided information to facebook my personal information cept what was needed to join (just this am)... and I'm sure, the 25 faces I just moused over that is in a top money house are not all registered with facebook.. yet, I can pull up information who they are in world, where they've been and when.. etc.. to some like yourself, no big deal.. but what of those who don't view as you do, and happen to care?

I

imported_CherryBomb

<blockquote><hr>

If you don't want anyone to know your personal business, then don't do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is something profound in this statement. I think I will do nothing at all for a while to ponder it.

CherryBomb

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

If you don't want anyone to know your personal business, then don't do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is something profound in this statement. I think I will do nothing at all for a while to ponder it.

CherryBomb

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, there is nothing personal on your facebook until you actually put it there.

And it only shows that particular avatar you've clicked on and where it lives so it's not like they are telling everyone who 'all' your sims are. And if we were to click on that avatar in game we'd get the same info.

Some people may choose to set up their face-book in order to expand their social activities past the game. So what people know or don't know about you is really your own choice.

As for properties....I think it's kinda neat. I've often said I'd like to know what roomies have been on or not been on, or if my house needs to be open and such...I like that part.

And for the comment above....if the 25 avatars in the house are not registered with 'Face-book' then there is also no further information available other than what is regularly available in the game.

Like I said....unless you put information in Face-book...there is nothing more available personally about you than anyone could find out in game.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I believe the only thing that needs to be added to avatarbook on facebook would be that if a player has their privacy lock activated in game, then their avatar information would not be displayed anywhere on the application or listed as "invisible guest" in property information displayed on avatarbook. Then someone would actually have to login to game and go to the property to see who is actually there.

This would solve all privacy issues. Players that wish to remain private would need only activate their privacy lock.

P

Purdy

Or how about live video streaming from a lot??

Big Brother is Watching You!!!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Or how about live video streaming from a lot??

Big Brother is Watching You!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO YEAH!!!

Watchers could be the jury! EA-L could do polls on who are the least favorites and every few hours they could just boot whomever the jury decides is the least favorite.

Can you see it? You are sitting in a house - skilling and suddenly your back at the city view with a message...."The Jury has found you the least favorite in the house and you have been removed!"

LMAO

P

Purdy

And Julie Chen can interview the booted houseguests.

I can see all the ranting here on stratics if that happens. What great entertainment!!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

And Julie Chen can interview the booted houseguests.

I can see all the ranting here on stratics if that happens. What great entertainment!!

[/ QUOTE ]

She would have to be 'Julie Chensim' ...she would get her own little 'look-a-like' sim! and wouldn't it be fun!
..let me run to Face-book and see who I'd like to vote out
(j/k)

M

master_of_none

<blockquote><hr>

I believe the only thing that needs to be added to avatarbook on facebook would be that if a player has their privacy lock activated in game, then their avatar information would not be displayed anywhere on the application or listed as "invisible guest" in property information displayed on avatarbook. Then someone would actually have to login to game and go to the property to see who is actually there.

This would solve all privacy issues. Players that wish to remain private would need only activate their privacy lock.

[/ QUOTE ]

That Gracie, I totally agree with!
I was amazed, not only does it show who's on lot when you mouse over picture, but if you click on said picture, gives, log of when last login, which lots they've been to etc. Sure this is great for nosey peeps as a con to the issue, and pro for say lot owners wanting to find out if this roomie is really active and helpful.. but in all due respect, yes, a safe-fail thing should be in place... such as what you mentioned would be perfect in my thoughts.
Also would like to mention, I think if a sim account is not registered with facebook, then again, your suggestion would be a great way to ensure their "data" isn't put to public view.
Point is, most I'm sure don't care which lot they're seen at, however, as a whole community.. I'm sure some do. This was why the stalker button in first place was invented.. giving US as individuals a choice in the matter.
Dutch America, example.. why would I want you to know where I'm at, or last time I logged in, and when I was logged in last, where I'd been, and what time it was?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Dutch America, example.. why would I want you to know where I'm at, or last time I logged in, and when I was logged in last, where I'd been, and what time it was?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh shoot! You don't want me to stalk you?

I've had stalkers in game many times. I don't see that the 'Face-book' thing will help or hinder them either way.

The one thing it 'may' hurt is that 'sim cheaters' will have to be a bit more careful because they may get caught. And yeah, there are some that take this game that serious.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Everyone read up at tso-e.com on the new facebook abilities???

"If you click on the image of a lot in the search list, you will be taken to a page that displays a Google gadget (uh, widget) containing information about who is currently on that lot."

My view, has it's pro's and con's
Great for homeowners, and roomies to see their lot's while offline to see if they need to login to open lot, or how it's going.
Biggest concern is, why have a button in world if it fails to do it's job outside world (for those who do not want to be seen)?
I read the comments left behind on the issue, with one person stating on the facebook page there is a privacy tab. However, for many of us in world who do not have facebook, would be out of loop on using such thing. I suppose only way is to encourage everyone to get this feature just for that privacy surance?
Myself, looking into facebook for first time (admission) just to see first hand the whole scope of it.
Sounds like it has alot of cool things, however though we know at any given time an EA employee can view invisable whatever they want on any lot, but, the neighboring player? Seems somethings are going bit to far in my thoughts.
What is all your take on it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Aw, geez - not this crap again?
I thot this was pretty much settled.

Not facebook nor buttbook or any other widget, gadget or doohickey should (without the permission of the subscriber) display any more information about a fellow sim than can be seen in-game.
Why is it so hard for some to respect the wishes of those who do not want to participate???

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I think that when you play an 'online game', there's not a whole lot that can be private except for maybe your 'real' stuff that you need not expose in either the face book
or the butt book.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I've had stalkers in game many times. I don't see that the 'Face-book' thing will help or hinder them either way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I see.
You think that stalkers are so stupid that simply knowing where you are located is not enough information to help them find you.
For your sake, I hope you're right.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think that when you play an 'online game', there's not a whole lot that can be private except for maybe your 'real' stuff that you need not expose in either the face book
or the butt book.

[/ QUOTE ]
So we should just accept the enevitable?

What I think is that game elements should remain in the game and not be accessible outside of the game.

And it's not just a simple "I don't want to participate" argument; to override game features, such as the privacy button, is a violation of the rules of the game.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

or the butt book.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I think is that game elements should remain in the game and not be accessible outside of the game.

And it's not just a simple "I don't want to participate" argument; to override game features, such as the privacy button, is a violation of the rules of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you recall that this was on the 'wish list' for development?

Players said they wanted to be able to place more information on their bios and this is what it evolved to. I can't begin to tell you how many bios I have seen in TSO that has....if you wanna know more about me go to...

And yeah, other than a suggested 'tweak' here or there, this is what we have and players need to get used to it.

There is no reason to start a war over it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that when you play an 'online game', there's not a whole lot that can be private except for maybe your 'real' stuff that you need not expose in either the face book or the butt book.

Players said they wanted to be able to place more information on their bios and this is what it evolved to. I can't begin to tell you how many bios I have seen in TSO that has....if you wanna know more about me go to...

And yeah, other than a suggested 'tweak' here or there, this is what we have and players need to get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how the post you replied to was in any way trying to start a war. If we do not like some of the changes in the game or soon to come to the game. Where should we go to talk about it, if not here? OHHHHHHHHHHHH We should get a facebook acct and go there to complain?

Not that I am complaining. LOL

Just felt like being sarcastic

M

master_of_none

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

or the butt book.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Players said they wanted to be able to place more information on their bios and this is what it evolved to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say alot of tweaking... and not ALL players "wanted" what this has evolved. If people who don't agree with your view, yet stays quiet and "get used to it"... there would be no change for the BETTER of the community as a whole, rather then handful of players who "wanted". I've played since beta.. but do you see my register on this website since then, no.. just as many other players I'm sure are not registered on this site. Because we enjoy our out of reality into our virtual for some down time of reality stresses... enjoying our goals to reach, and/or the company of our friendships we've met, and forward to those we've not met yet.. course busting simhinney to earn virtual money etc... not everyone is into the politic's. I know on the old threads long ago........ many just plainly stopped visiting them because of flaming when someone spoke out that didn't seem to mesh with a more stronger intimating style voice (text). True, due to individual reasonings, those that choose not to be involved in keeping up with the threads did so by free will, but that still does not take away their rights.
As I said prior, pro's and con's... but really, think it should of been fully thought out completely before introducing it to the public.... giving consideration for all, not the few, or majority... privacy should be by choice, not taken lightly.. virtual or otherwise.
OH and Dutch... if you think you can find me.. feel free to stalk if you think you can LOL! (responding to that earlier post of yours)

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
If that were the only criteria for accepting something in the game, we would have a whole bunch of other stuff.
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
And, I have seen many that make no mention.

The issue isn't about those who *want* to participate, but those of us who *do not*.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I am supposed to get used to outside software that overrides game features designed by EA to protect certain aspects of my gameplay?

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure there is - It may seem unimportant to some, but to others, this is an important issue - important enough to take a stand.

There is a simple, no brainer solution - only those registered with facebook can be accessed.
I am amazed (and disturbed) that some think we should be stripped of that choice.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

I don't see how the post you replied to was in any way trying to start a war. If we do not like some of the changes in the game or soon to come to the game. Where should we go to talk about it, if not here? OHHHHHHHHHHHH We should get a facebook acct and go there to complain?

Not that I am complaining. LOL

Just felt like being sarcastic

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Facebook is more of a 'socialization' tool. There are other buttons on your screen to lodge complaints...there's the Wiki buttons and the TSO-E button and isn't there an EAland button for the new site?

Even though the devs are in 'support' of stratics, I didn't think it was actually part of EA so I doubt if EA will place link to it on their game?

lol you practice being sarcastic
and I'm gonna go brush up on my stalkin' techniques

G

As far as I'm concerned, this is something we should have to "opt in" for, not "opt out" of. I just went in and blocked all my sims, but I shouldn't have needed to do that. It should be auto blocked and if you want to show where you've been to any stalker out there, then you could go in and opt to do so.

I consider these widgets and the avatar book a complete invasion of our privacy. I have no desire to use facebook at all, but to protect my own privacy I was forced to sign up for it. I have never been one to broadcast my "my space" addy to the world of sims online, and I certainly wouldn't change that, considering the psychos running loose in this game.

It is not that I have anything to hide. It is simply the fact that it's no ones business but my own which lots I've visited. If you can't see it in game, you sure as hell don't need to see it on a web page . &lt;---- period

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I am supposed to get used to outside software that overrides game features designed by EA to protect certain aspects of my gameplay?

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure there is - It may seem unimportant to some, but to others, this is an important issue - important enough to take a stand.

There is a simple, no brainer solution - only those registered with facebook can be accessed.
I am amazed (and disturbed) that some think we should be stripped of that choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Donavan.

This is how privacy erodes. It seems like "only a game" -- and how easy it is to smirk and make light of the concerns of those who are raising a red flag.

There are too many issues for me to address here, and I don't have the energy to point out the obvious to those of you who will only see what you want to see no matter what (until disaster strikes you). Let me point out one disturbing element of this Facebook leak of game activity to the outside world, one that I had the misfortune of watching wreak havoc in real life several times:

There are people in this game who have jealous others in their lives. Whether it is a spouse who suspects the partner is romancing in game, or an ex who has an unhealthy interest in what their ex is up to (and with who), or even a household member who thinks that using the computer is the devil's tool, they have an unreasonable and unhealthy interest in tools such as that which the Facebook widget provides.

I've had friends in this game who had to sneak their time in game for fear of having reprisals. One that comes to mind was a dear young woman who was torn from her father, whom she had lived with for 15 years, and put into the custody of a controlling (and I think whacko) mother who believed mental health medications were evil, and that the best way to control her daughter's myriad emotional problems was to have her daughter go "cold turkey" on meds and to make sure her daughter had no contact with the outside world -- especially via the computer. This poor girl was terrified of her mother, and with good reason. It was a tragic situation, and it was through contacts here -- in this game -- that the young woman was put in touch with agencies that were able to assist her. This girl had to sneak on line when her mother was out. If her mother could have used a widget on Facebook to track her daughter's activity, believe me -- she would have. And, the story would have had a tragic ending for this girl.

Jealous spouses, jealous ex's -- won't they love being able to spy! I've known several players who had nut cases stalking them, trying to get information to enable them to stalk in real life. One woman I met in game had met a man who, it turns out, was in a position to have access to CIA type information (he worked in military intelligence). Of course, the information he used to stalk this woman got him fired from his real job. But, in the weeks that he operated, this lady was terrified, and for good reason. Oh boy -- his job would have been even easier with the Facebook widget.

Wake up, people. Just because you have not been touched by sicko behavior in game that can make your real life a misery, don't think others have not. No one should have to sign up on Facebook in order to opt out of having their personal gaming activities made public to the world at large. What we do in game should stay in game, unless we opt to share it.

I

imported_CrazyGirl

I think FaceBook should show our IP addresses too!

/sarcasm

I

imported_DutchAmerica

So maybe we need to get rid of the 'friendship' web too? That's also an invasion of privacy too?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

As far as I'm concerned, this is something we should have to "opt in" for, not "opt out" of. I just went in and blocked all my sims, but I shouldn't have needed to do that. It should be auto blocked and if you want to show where you've been to any stalker out there, then you could go in and opt to do so.

I consider these widgets and the avatar book a complete invasion of our privacy. I have no desire to use facebook at all, but to protect my own privacy I was forced to sign up for it. I have never been one to broadcast my "my space" addy to the world of sims online, and I certainly wouldn't change that, considering the psychos running loose in this game.

It is not that I have anything to hide. It is simply the fact that it's no ones business but my own which lots I've visited. If you can't see it in game, you sure as hell don't need to see it on a web page . &lt;---- period

[/ QUOTE ]

So maybe we need to get rid of the 'friendship' web too? That's also an invasion of privacy too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, please.
I know you are not that thick.

At least the privacy invasion in that case requires the stalker to log into the game to check things out.

CntryGrl -- your post deserves a round of applause.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, please.
I know you are not that thick.

At least the privacy invasion in that case requires the stalker to log into the game to check things out.

CntryGrl -- your post deserves a round of applause.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't have a discussion without you insulting someone?

I've been in this game a very long time. And I have actually used the friendship web to figure out 'who' is in certain houses. It's how I figured out 'who' was the owner and operator of the Bot house I found in MF. Guess you've never done that hey?

The way I figure it...if you don't have anything to hide in the game, then it really shouldn't bother you.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
You're trying to defeat the well made points of the arguments of those who are saying that they shouldn't have to sign up for Facebook to opt out of something to protect their privacy by stretching it to an absurd extension.

It's an irrelevant, amateurish, debate technique.

G

I think you went a little overboard in the story telling but I do agree with everyone that feels there should be a way to turn it off or opt out.

Personally... I don't really care that much who knows this information but I would still turn it off. I'm not signing up for facebook to do it.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

The way I figure it...if you don't have anything to hide in the game, then it really shouldn't bother you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, privacy is overrated! The only people who care about protecting their privacy are those who have something to hide.

Gee, seems I've heard this argument before also.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny to see this argument used against the biggest shouter of it... lol.

But this topic really doesn't have to do with anyone doing anything wrong...

and I'm sorry if my opinon gets in the way of your stalking...

I thought I read the widget used to have a LOT more information that created an uproar and it was actually cut down to the information currently contained. I don't think it would be too hard to create a way to opt out without having to sign up for facebook. something like the privacy button you can check in game when you don't want someone to know where you are, or an option you check when you login to your account.

I will have to check out the wiki and blog and push this as much as I can when I get home.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
You're trying to defeat the well made points of the arguments of those who are saying that they shouldn't have to sign up for Facebook to opt out of something to protect their privacy by stretching it to an absurd extension.

It's an irrelevant, amateurish, debate technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG this conversation is going down hill so fast it's not funny. You are number #2 to start bashing me.

I happen to think it's ironic.

How are they posting here? Did they have to sign up for this site? But it's obsurd that they might take a few minutes to sign up for Facebook?

Oh, I forgot....I'm supposed to agree with everyone right?

(And the stalking comment was meant as a playful joke for someone else but that's ok, I'm used to having people take my words out of context.)

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I think you went a little overboard in the story telling

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any other way to bring facts to the table? I feel many players think there is no harm posed by allowing people outside the game to spy on in-game activities. I don't see how sharing true examples is "overboard" if it sheds light on the issue at hand?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I think you went a little overboard in the story telling

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any other way to bring facts to the table? I feel many players think there is no harm posed by allowing people outside the game to spy on in-game activities. I don't see how sharing true examples is "overboard" if it sheds light on the issue at hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck kind of activities are you doing?

Question is...when does privacy stop? Should you be able to turn off letting people know where you live? I would like that. I would LOVE to be able to roomie up my alts without people knowing they live there.

How about turning off the friendship web? I don't really want everyone know who my friends are but I would like to have them?

Where does the line get drawn as far as privacy and an online game?

G

I understand your reasoning but no one gets RL information unless YOU give it them. If someone is having a RL person who stalks them in RL on a TSO widget they have bigger problems than who can see what house their sim is in. I just don't think that blowing this up into a bigger problem than it is will help things.

That being said...
I still think we should have control over who can see our sims info outside of the game. Does anyone know if someone on facebook who does NOT have a TSO account can view this information?

And Dutch - no you don't have to agree with everyone but what does this have to do with you? If you WANT to opt in then go right ahead, the argument in this thread will not effect you - NO ONE is trying to opt you out. But we should all have the choice to choose for ourselves. What makes me wonder is why you are arguing so hard against this.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall that you posted about your son seeing a woman in game, and you didn't approve.

I can see why you might think the internet access to the game is a positive thing. If you were not at home you could log in and see if your son was in game, and who he was with.

Of course, I know you wouldn't. But, it is my point. If you were a jealous whacko rl stalker, and not a mother, it would prove my point even more.

M

MonaLittlemore

I really like the facebook application . I think that we do have the option to make it private *tho I dont use it * Its a game I enjoy and I dont mind what lot people see me on
I think everyone should give it a try

P

Purdy

Big Brother is Watching You!!

(In reference to George Orwell's book 1984)

G

Nothing wrong with facebook. You do not have to be a member for your info to show.
Some people do not care for others to know their every move. I use facebook because of TSO. idk if I have privacy on or not. The only sim ppl send hate mail to is Simone. I rarely use her. Plan on closing that acct. People can see all my sims lol but they don't know them. I do not get close to ppl in game. No need for anyone to stalk me. But I have been stalked. Didn't care for it. Now we can't move and change our names to get away.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall that you posted about your son seeing a woman in game, and you didn't approve.

I can see why you might think the internet access to the game is a positive thing. If you were not at home you could log in and see if your son was in game, and who he was with.

Of course, I know you wouldn't. But, it is my point. If you were a jealous whacko rl stalker, and not a mother, it would prove my point even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's silly and totally mistated - thanks.

He wasn't SEEING her, he was CONTACTED by her online.

My child doesn't have privacy online and no one else's kids should either. There is a time and place for kids to have privacy and online isn't one of those places. That's why I so swiftly turned the tables on her.

Wanna turn the conversation to registered sex offenders and that there is nothing to screen them out of TSO yet? Maybe this feature would be good for law enforcement purposes too as far as monitoring 'illegal' internet activities? Wonder if they'd bust those little TSO hookers I've seen periodically?

Let's all do a little experiment shall we?
I'll have to go online tonight at home where I do not have Facebook and see how much info I can actually 'get' on anyone using only Facebook.

Let's meet back here tomorrow and discuss it?

P

Purdy

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's absolutely the way it should be. What if you were on your property with friends of yours with no visitors allowed. Do you want ppl to be able to see what your talking about and you having no clue that it's happening? I know when I'm on my property by myself or with friends I don't want ppl I don't know to be watching me. I would be bothered if someone I didn't know was following my every move. Not that I have anything to hide, it's just spooky. Like a peeping tom looking in your window at night.

Well, that's just me and I would like the option of not being accessed.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I understand your reasoning but no one gets RL information unless YOU give it them. If someone is having a RL person who stalks them in RL on a TSO widget they have bigger problems than who can see what house their sim is in. I just don't think that blowing this up into a bigger problem than it is will help things.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree that Dali's examples are 'blown up'. I have seen a great deal of this on other games. Jealous spouses/angry ex's in particular, coming into the game to cause trouble. Some displayed depths of hatred I have not seen outside of fiction.
It was/is truly ugly.

NOIP
No one is saying something like this will happen - or that not participating is going to keep it from happening, only that it increases the chances that it could happen.
Aside from that, there is also the obvious arguement - if I don't want that ( I activated the "privacy" feature), why should I be forced to accept it?

I

imported_Claudia MacCloud

Update~ just signed up for facebook, and let me tell you... I'm AMAZED! I just did this, know very little of the gadgets yet, however learned real quick, can click on any "friend" on link list.. and know date and time where they've been!!!
This is going to be very interesting, and wonders how many really don't realize!
I did find the privacy button!! You can block your lots you've visited, and your bookmarks from being visable to public!
But, learning quick, have to be a member of this facebook to ensure your privacy to a some sort of limits. Guess going to have to make accounts to do the blocks on my other accounts also LOL.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you dont have to make a acct for each sim .... When you log in to facebook and use the avatar book feature.... You will see all of your sims in that acct ... right above their faces it says to log in again .... Click that and you will be able to put the other acct info in .. Vola ..... your other acct... All from the same facebook acct

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Simple, effective, non-intrusive.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

That being said...
I still think we should have control over who can see our sims info outside of the game. Does anyone know if someone on facebook who does NOT have a TSO account can view this information?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with a facebook account that is logged in can visit

http://apps.facebook.com/avatarbook

as a visitor.

Why on earth anyone would want to look at a bunch of EA-Land avatars and information pages is beyond me. Even if they look at it, they won't have a clue what it is. lol.

G

IMO You shouldn't!

The default settings should be set to private, at least. I have 82 sims. LOL How long would it take me to make all of those private? It has to be done one sim at a time. I blocked a few sims on the acct, just to see how time consuming it is. Once marked private, I checked the profile again and the lots I had visited last still show.