• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Facebook/Avatarbook - Let's get this straigtened out

G

lol Your so funny!!
I forgot when you log into EA Land you leave your morals at the door. There is no person behind the avatar. Please forgive me. I made a huge mistake. Anything that is implemented to te game is totally awesome!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
I will try to find me some pom poms. WOOOOOOOT Streaming video to come soon. LMAO @ all the sims that do not read the blog. haha they will learn to use the privacy features on their own.

ETA: Laughing at them on streaming video. because they do not know they are being watched. HAHA I figured a few of you would need that explained. Not everyone knows about these features. Someone even posted here telling others if we did not like it don't use it. That would be nice. The whole post was meant as sarcasm.
Have a nice day.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

From the Facebook Terms of Use:

In consideration of your use of the Site, you agree to (a) provide accurate, current and complete information about you as may be prompted by any registration forms on the Site ("Registration Data"); (b) maintain the security of your password and identification; (c) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data, and any other information you provide to Company, to keep it accurate, current and complete; and (d) be fully responsible for all use of your account and for any actions that take place using your account.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...I'm still not going to put in my personal information I don't want to give, regardless. We are not protected from identity theft, so they can shove their terms lol. I used a fake name, and I'm keeping it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using a fake name is a good idea. For now. Last year New Scientist reported that Microsoft is hard at work developing software which can, "accurately guess your name, age, gender and potentially even your location, by analyzing telltale patterns in your web browsing history."

Research conducted by a group of university students working on a Facebook privacy project found that 90 percent of Facebook users provide their real names, dates of birth, gender and hometown.

In November, a popular blogger revealed he had been tossed off Facebook for using a fake name. "Fake accounts are a violation of our Terms of Use," read Facebook's email. "Facebook requires users to provide their real first and last names. Impersonating anyone or anything is prohibited. Unfortunately, we will not be able to reactivate this account for any reason. This decision is final." So, odds are that most are safe, but Facebook maintains its right to crack down on fakers.

G

That took a lot of reading to catch up lol. I was a member of facebook long before I was a member of TSO/EA Land and I've never had a problem with Facebook giving out my information, although obviously some have. I will say I find Facebook incredibly annoying so I'm never on there. Reading this blog interested me enough to sign in and go take a look. There is in fact a "Privacy Settings" that you can go into. I saw it and thought ah, opt out is in there. Nope. The only thing you can choose from the Privacy Settings is deciding to allow or block New Feeds (Allow information about this avatar's activity, such as the lots they have visited, to be public.) and to allow or block Bookmarks (Allow your bookmarks to be publicly accessible.) Hope this helps clear up any questions. But no, there is nothing I found for opting out.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

From the Facebook Terms of Use:

In consideration of your use of the Site, you agree to (a) provide accurate, current and complete information about you as may be prompted by any registration forms on the Site ("Registration Data"); (b) maintain the security of your password and identification; (c) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data, and any other information you provide to Company, to keep it accurate, current and complete; and (d) be fully responsible for all use of your account and for any actions that take place using your account.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...I'm still not going to put in my personal information I don't want to give, regardless. We are not protected from identity theft, so they can shove their terms lol. I used a fake name, and I'm keeping it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using a fake name is a good idea. For now. Last year New Scientist reported that Microsoft is hard at work developing software which can, "accurately guess your name, age, gender and potentially even your location, by analyzing telltale patterns in your web browsing history."

Research conducted by a group of university students working on a Facebook privacy project found that 90 percent of Facebook users provide their real names, dates of birth, gender and hometown.

In November, a popular blogger revealed he had been tossed off Facebook for using a fake name. "Fake accounts are a violation of our Terms of Use," read Facebook's email. "Facebook requires users to provide their real first and last names. Impersonating anyone or anything is prohibited. Unfortunately, we will not be able to reactivate this account for any reason. This decision is final." So, odds are that most are safe, but Facebook maintains its right to crack down on fakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody who does use their avatar info to create their FB account is going to be a person who wouldn't otherwise FB, like myself. To that end, if they wanna 'crack down' on me and close my account because they find out I am not my avatar, let them *shrugs*. Many people will create a FB account just to opt out and never go back to it, so in that case they could have their FB account revoked and never know it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

lol Your so funny!!
I forgot when you log into EA Land you leave your morals at the door. There is no person behind the avatar. Please forgive me. I made a huge mistake. Anything that is implemented to te game is totally awesome!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
I will try to find me some pom poms. WOOOOOOOT Streaming video to come soon. LMAO @ all the sims that do not read the blog. haha they will learn to use the privacy features on their own.

ETA: Laughing at them on streaming video. because they do not know they are being watched. HAHA I figured a few of you would need that explained. Not everyone knows about these features. Someone even posted here telling others if we did not like it don't use it. That would be nice. The whole post was meant as sarcasm.
Have a nice day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sarcasm is not amusing.

Let's all hold a celebration for passive aggression day!

:edit:

To answer your previous inquiry; no, I didn't mind when my bookmarks were published. I would be equally indifferent if it said how often my avatar used the toilet, hot kissed, played in bed, or who I dip kissed behind closed doors. It's a game. Wait, no. That's too much credit. It's a chat room. Get over it, or get out. This is not hateful advice. It's realism. You shouldn't be engaged in an activity which draws such ire. The point of the game is to have fun, not to be sardonic and pejorative on a message board.

I have no right to squelch the expression of your opinion. However, when it is expressed with extreme negativism, mockery, and false parallels (such as the "morals" example) I believe it is apropriate to challenge the opinion and the behavior.

Can't we just be mature about this?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Maybe it is easier to understand Avatar book if you look at what it is. A person (third party) got the data from EA on all subscribers to TSO. He used that database to create Avatar book.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like EA turned over our avatar information to a complete stranger. LOL. Avatarbook was developed and created by Michael Twardos, one of our developers. The data provided is not EA subscribers but it is EA-Land subscribers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand EA is making the game data available to anyone who wants to create widgets for our use.

I have a feeling many players will not understand that widgets are a huge security risk. Hackers are busy at this very moment finding ways to exploit weaknesses in widgets. They are succeeding.

I know you, Gracie, pride yourself on being upbeat and positive. I think that is admirable. It is not wise to disregard the very serious security and privacy concerns raised about Facebook as well as widget creation. Just because you and others are enjoying the features does not negate the risks involved.

Anyone who thinks these concerns are merely paranoid musings is living in a fool's paradise.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Maybe it is easier to understand Avatar book if you look at what it is. A person (third party) got the data from EA on all subscribers to TSO. He used that database to create Avatar book.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like EA turned over our avatar information to a complete stranger. LOL. Avatarbook was developed and created by Michael Twardos, one of our developers. The data provided is not EA subscribers but it is EA-Land subscribers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand EA is making the game data available to anyone who wants to create widgets for our use.

I have a feeling many players will not understand that widgets are a huge security risk. Hackers are busy at this very moment finding ways to exploit weaknesses in widgets. They are succeeding.

I know you, Gracie, pride yourself on being upbeat and positive. I think that is admirable. It is not wise to disregard the very serious security and privacy concerns raised about Facebook as well as widget creation. Just because you and others are enjoying the features does not negate the risks involved.

Anyone who thinks these concerns are merely paranoid musings is living in a fool's paradise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok good point...
Being completely serious here: Can you give me an example of what info could be hacked from a widget creation that would harm us? I am not familiar with widgets (altho I plan to learn) and you have me curious now.

Thanks.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardon my bluntness, but this sounds eerily reminiscent of the George Bush terrorism scare tactics.

Let's assume for a moment that hackers are not only targeting widgets in general, but that they're targeting the specific widgets the EA team has made. What kind of information can they gather from these widgets? How will they do this? And most importantly, how do you know this?

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

lol Your so funny!!

Have a nice day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Offers you my extra pair of pom poms.

G

TTL

Ok I get the whole point about having the option to opt out of all of this - or rather that opting out is default and you have to actually opt in to participate, but I can't quite get my head around why someone knowing where my <s>sim</s> erm avatar spent the last hour is going to jeopardise my real life privacy?

Polly

G

While I understand both sides of the debate, I have to agree with almost everything Dali has said.

I'm pretty sure Mark Zuckerberg (the FB dude) didn't become a billionaire by merely selling ad space on FB.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardon my bluntness, but this sounds eerily reminiscent of the George Bush terrorism scare tactic.

Let's assume for a moment that hackers are not only targeting widgets in general, but that they're targeting the specific widgets the EA team has made. What kind of information can they gather from these widgets? How will they do this? And most importantly, how do you know this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the inability to face up to internet privacy concerns is more typical of George Bush. Your candidate of choice has been active in advocating for and protecting internet freedoms and privacy rights.

Also, to clarify -- it is not EA developers who will be creating the widgets we may see soon. As I understand it anyone can ask for the game data in order to create a widget.

Please do not take my word on these issues. Do this -- Google "widgets hackers" or "widget security concerns." Read the articles from the Washington Post and New York Times (for instance) concerning Facebook privacy issues (links are in one of my posts, in this thread and in the other current Facebook thread). If you think I'm a crackpot after reading up on the topics, so be it.

I am boggled why people here will not face facts because they do not like the messenger.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am upbeat and positive most of the time. The only difference between our viewpoints is that you do not trust or believe that security is an issue or a concern for EA developers. While, I believe security of this game, avatars, and player base is considered in everything they do.

As for the widget creation...yes anyone with the know-how can create a widget, however they must send in the application and register it with EA for approval before it is even viable. I trust that the person involved in approving those applications understands them and what, if any, security risks would be involved.

EA is not giving out any of my personal information with any of these webservices. They are merely sharing my avatar and game experiences on the web. As a subscriber, I do not pretend to have any rights of privacy where my game avatars are concerned.

I am a trusting person and optimistic about most things in life. That doesn't mean I don't know how to be cautious. I just choose not to be cynical and distrusting of everything. I appreciate your efforts to open our eyes to everything in the information and technology genre being developed that will ultimately have the power to usurp our rights to privacy. However, I do not believe that these heavy philosphical discussions need to take place over avatar information in an online game ,at this point in time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am boggled why people here will not face facts because they do not like the messenger.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not *it* in my case. You know I have the utmost respect and even admiration for you.....it is just that I'm not understanding why there is a security risk IF the person, when they register with FaceBook, uses their sim info instead of RL info. To me, that ends the possibility that it will bleed over into RL, and even come close to becoming threatening on a RL level. If people dont' read here and see that they do not have to give FB their RL info, then that's not EA's fault, or any of our faults.....that is the fault of the individual player, and that player alone.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardon my bluntness, but this sounds eerily reminiscent of the George Bush terrorism scare tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not gonna tell ya - gonna let ya find out for yourself. I hope they leave you enough for toilet paper.
Stop being such a pompous ass!
That's MY job!

"Hillary sux" - Simone Valentino.

G

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

Ok I get the whole point about having the option to opt out of all of this - or rather that opting out is default and you have to actually opt in to participate, but I can't quite get my head around why someone knowing where my &lt;s&gt;sim&lt;/s&gt; erm avatar spent the last hour is going to jeopardise my real life privacy?

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]
Seperate but linked issues.
Avatarbook is giving out of sim info that is turned off in game
But you MUST be registered to Facebook to allow the 'privacy' button to function. That is where RL info enters the picture.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

Ok I get the whole point about having the option to opt out of all of this - or rather that opting out is default and you have to actually opt in to participate, but I can't quite get my head around why someone knowing where my &lt;s&gt;sim&lt;/s&gt; erm avatar spent the last hour is going to jeopardise my real life privacy?

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]
But you MUST be registered to Facebook to allow the 'privacy' button to function. That is where RL info enters the picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your avatarbook is never linked to your real life Facebook account unless you choose to make is so. Nobody in game can find out the facebook account you set up.

You can choose to give as much or as little real life info on Facebook as you choose. You can make everything about your real facebook account private and I mean everything - except the name. You can make up any name you want to and choose any email address you want to, to register an account on facebook.

A real facebook account can be set so that nobody can see your profile and have to send you a message to get your permission do to anything.

So again, my real life information is not jeopardised by someone knowing which lots my avatar has been frequenting.

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your avatarbook is never linked to your real life Facebook account unless you choose to make is so. Nobody in game can find out the facebook account you set up.

You can choose to give as much or as little real life info on Facebook as you choose. You can make everything about your real facebook account private and I mean everything - except the name. You can make up any name you want to and choose any email address you want to, to register an account on facebook.

A real facebook account can be set so that nobody can see your profile and have to send you a message to get your permission do to anything.

So again, my real life information is not jeopardised by someone knowing which lots my avatar has been frequenting.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]
Why am I talking if no one is paying attention?????

Polly? You're way off base. Read the thread.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

How presumptuous of you to assume that I dislike you.

That said, playing the victim isn't something I look too favorably upon.

I'm not going to look up the information, mainly because I don't care. I didn't request the information for my own personal education. I requested it to see whether or not you were making false claims.

I still haven't seen a coorelation between the widgets affecting people's privacy, especially those who have not registered for Facebook.

G

this whole discussion is really quite simple the ppl playing ealand signed up to play ealand not joining facebook what gives ea the right to sign game players up for a outside social site without permission this is absolutely wrong and while the avatar might belong to ea you should still have some privacy from outside ppl to play the game the social network sites are full of pedophiles and freaks this avatarbook just gives them a in to a whole new group of potential victims ea might wanna think about this whole idea before they take on that kind of liability

G

<blockquote><hr>

this whole discussion is really quite simple the ppl playing ealand signed up to play ealand not joining facebook what gives ea the right to sign game players up for a outside social site without permission this is absolutely wrong and while the avatar might belong to ea you should still have some privacy from outside ppl to play the game the social network sites are full of pedophiles and freaks this avatarbook just gives them a in to a whole new group of potential victims ea might wanna think about this whole idea before they take on that kind of liability

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa there, EA didn't sign us up for Facebook! WE have to sign ourselves up for Facebook IF we want to opt out of some of the things that can be seen about us. If we don't want to opt out, we don't have to sign up. AvatarBook is something totally different, created by a EAL dev team member, as I understand it, and they only used avatar names, not a single piece of RL information. That is why some people don't understand the hooplah. They are only going to have information that *you* give them, even if you sign up for FB. For instance, one of my avatars is Brandilyn Cherice. If I signed up for FB as Brandilyn Cherice, then even *if* FB added information, it would be information about Brandilyn Cherice, *not* CBrewton5, me the human. The only way they can find out information about me the human is if I give them my name and stuff, which I do not plan to do, as others who signed up for FB have not.

G

I'd like to know why, after 5 pages, nobody from EA has commented in this thread. There's enough of them around now that someone must have noticed it. Or one of the Stratics staff would have bought it to their attention ... If there are errors being presented as facts, you'd have thought someone would have jumped in and put everyone straight.

Nobody has.

Which leaves me to conclude that we are right, that the whole things is totally wrong and should have been opt-in to start with for those that chose to - and for the rest of us who choose not to, the simple ability to not be featured at all in this new-fangled gadget that I don't remember ever being asked about before it was thrust upon us.

As a concept, it certainly has some advantages for those who like that sort of thing. But for the vast majority of people I would guess it's either a "meh don't care" kind of thing, or "no way man" kinda thing. That alone - apart from common sensse in the first place - should be sufficient to see that 'opt in' rather than 'opt out' is the correct, legally, ethically and morally, solution in all of this mess.

Hypothetical situation... someone in your Facebook 'friends' is a close enough friend for you to have swapped rl details with. They are also known as an in-game friend of yours. You've not linked your Facebook profile with your avatar profile, but they have with theirs. Person A contacts your friend, saying they're an old school friend of yours and would like to call you again but they've lost your number, don't suppose you have it. Your friend, either in a hurry or not thinking straight, says sure, it's 1-123-456-7890 and thinks no more of it. A reverse lookup gets your address, your name is already known, and bingo the 'fun' begins. There's enough people with grudges round here over the years to want to do that to certain individuals who aren't afraid to speak the truth and challenge them on their behaviour, that's for sure.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that's one longggg sentence.

G

This thread has really gotten out of hand with people jumping to conclusions of what could happen.
For starters almost everything that's available in facebook and avatarbook can be accessed in the game. If anyone wanted to do the type of things mentioned throughout this thread, all that person would have to do is register a free account. From there they can find out who your friends are, who your roomies are and everything that’s in avatarbook except for when and where you were last on.
As for widgets being a means of hackers gaining access to various things, Gracie was right on the button with what she said. Widgets can only access information that scripting placed on EA's server allows them to access.
I am not saying that I totally agree with everything they have done here, for instants someone being able to access your bookmarks shouldn't be there. And I am not really sure about being able to see where someone has spent there time should be allowed as well.
As for the rest, all of you are making a big deal out of nothing as the information is already available to anyone that wants to get it.
When the word security is mentioned people tend to get very paranoid and jump to conclusions. Things like NASA.s system being hacked gets mentioned and everyone thinks that hackers can break into anything. For every computer that gets hacked, there are thousands that they try and cant get in to. EA's system has proven its security and the widgets and gadgets they have introduced will not make any difference to that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

EA's system has proven its security and the widgets and gadgets they have introduced will not make any difference to that.

[/ QUOTE ]I think you probably meant to say "so far nobody has hacked it" - because no computer system is completely invulnerable to hacking.

If people can hack into the Pentagon ... I'm sure EA can't provide a more secure environment than that.

If EA can't put in some of the incredibly simple suggestions that have been made here to stop bots and cheaters, how come you have so much faith in them to provide a totally secure environment?

G

I fully agree that EA really has left itself open to criticism over many things. I myself have pointed out many of those things and copped a bashing in here for doing so. In particular the inability to prevent botting. But I will stick to what I have said, or atleast put it this way.
The widgets and gadgets they have introduced will not make any difference to the security of EA's server. It will remain just as secure as it always has been.
No information will be gained through them that they do not want to make available. They are only access to scripting inside the server, not access to the server itself, in much the same way the game is. Infact a decent hacker would be able to gain more information through the coding and use of the game itself.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am not saying that I totally agree with everything they have done here, for instants someone being able to access your bookmarks shouldn't be there. And I am not really sure about being able to see where someone has spent there time should be allowed as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of those features have security settings that you can control so people cannot see them.

And I was right, nobody HAS to give out RL info. I registered with FB tonight just for the hell of it because I have insomnia again, and it was easy as pie. Used one of my sim's first and last name, my RL birthday which is probably shared by 100,000 people in the US alone (disclaimer: guesstimation, not statistical), and made a special e-mail account through a free e-mail program so I didn't have to use my general e-mail that would reveal my ISP, and boom....I have a facebook account and now avatar book. Some people seem to think that someone can still access my RL info even though I did it that way, but I cannot possibly fathom how. The registration did not ask for social security number, address, telephone number or any of that (which the e-mail account I registered for DID so they are 'invading privacy' even more I guess in some people's eyes).

R

Roger Wilco

Put the whole privacy debate aside and try to understand our main complaint.

With a default opt in, those of us who wish to get out are forced to violate the FB TOS by creating a bogus account, turning off as much as we can, and then fighting the battle with FB to delete that account. If I understand it correctly, even after doing all this, not everything can be turned off or deleted. We are being forced into a battle with FB and AB because EA decided mandatory opt in was better than voluntary.

This entire problem could have been avoided if EA had simply provided an optional opt in for those who wanted to be a part of AB/FB. They didn't, and now those of us who don't want to be a part of it get to jump through hoops trying to get out of it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

EA's system has proven its security and the widgets and gadgets they have introduced will not make any difference to that.

[/ QUOTE ]I think you probably meant to say "so far nobody has hacked it" - because no computer system is completely invulnerable to hacking.

If people can hack into the Pentagon ... I'm sure EA can't provide a more secure environment than that.

If EA can't put in some of the incredibly simple suggestions that have been made here to stop bots and cheaters, how come you have so much faith in them to provide a totally secure environment?

[/ QUOTE ]
you know... I seem to recall that one of the these "simple" suggestions you made was an even bigger violation of privacy - installing extra software that sent information about your PC back to EA.... interesting.

As far as this topic - privacy aside its a game feature and I don't see anything wrong with allowing players to turn it off. Really I don't care THAT much who can see where my sim is but like everything else in this game its nice to have options. Just like everyone wants CC or certain clothes or other changes - I don't see anything wrong with a simple request like this.

G

If they could make it to where you could opt out in game it would be better. If your privacy on your sim button would block the sim from showing in houses. Also if your house is locked, it would not show who was there. Or just a button somewhere on a panel, to opt in or out. Anything to keep players from having to join other sites to opt out. Also if the button was in game everyone would be aware that they are being watched if they do not opt out.

G

<blockquote><hr>

you know... I seem to recall that one of the these "simple" suggestions you made was an even bigger violation of privacy - installing extra software that sent information about your PC back to EA.... interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]You misremember. That software would have sent information only to EA, not as publicly available information for anyone who wants to read it to get hold of.

I don't really see how you can equate divulging information that you have, in game, chosen to keep private, with a piece of software that scans your PC to ensure you are not running any known programs that violate the ToS. That would be something where a little 'privacy' is for everyone's benefit. Disregarding the fact that I have chosen not to allow just anyone to track me down in-game is to nobody's benefit except griefers and stalkers.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]You misremember. That software would have sent information only to EA, not as publicly available information for anyone who wants to read it to get hold of.

I don't really see how you can equate divulging information that you have, in game, chosen to keep private, with a piece of software that scans your PC to ensure you are not running any known programs that violate the ToS. That would be something where a little 'privacy' is for everyone's benefit. Disregarding the fact that I have chosen not to allow just anyone to track me down in-game is to nobody's benefit except griefers and stalkers.

[/ QUOTE ]
You were JUST ranting about EA cannot be 100% trusted to keep personal and private information private. I'm saying that you weaken the argument when you are trying to play it from both sides. The information sent to ea would be a LOT more personal than what people see currently in avatarbook. Either you want privacy or you don't care.... but flip flopping like that helps no one.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You were JUST ranting about EA cannot be 100% trusted to keep personal and private information private. I'm saying that you weaken the argument when you are trying to play it from both sides. The information sent to ea would be a LOT more personal than what people see currently in avatarbook. Either you want privacy or you don't care.... but flip flopping like that helps no one.

[/ QUOTE ]Who's flip flopping?

Where I go and what I do in TSO is entirely my business - nobody elses.

If I am running prohibited software on my PC to give me an unfair advantage/exploit some aspect of the gameplay, then it's EA's business, as is cheating the responsibility of every community minded, honest player to seek out those who do.

Software like Punkbuster only scans for known exploit software, and reports that information - not all your keystrokes, screen grabs or any other personal information. If you aren't undertaking any prohibited activities then it has nothing to report back, does it?

I

imported_TheCookieFamily

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and attacking everything Aj says does not help anyone either. I think you just need to simmer down, because Aj made a very valid point. Do you have any proposed ways to stop the programs that violate the ToS? No, I don't think so, and attacking the idea won't help the argument BECAUSE you yourself are not adding any ideas to the matter. I agree whole heartedly with AJ.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Who's flip flopping?

Where I go and what I do in TSO is entirely my business - nobody elses.

If I am running prohibited software on my PC to give me an unfair advantage/exploit some aspect of the gameplay, then it's EA's business, as is cheating the responsibility of every community minded, honest player to seek out those who do.

Software like Punkbuster only scans for known exploit software, and reports that information - not all your keystrokes, screen grabs or any other personal information. If you aren't undertaking any prohibited activities then it has nothing to report back, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]
What I do on my own computer is MY business... NOT EA's... I also think I should be able to choose what information is displayed in avatarbook. See how that works? I am for privacy on both. I own my computer therefor it is not EA's business to see what I'm running. We do not own our EAland avatars and they can really do whatever they damn well please. Your arguments cancel each other out which is why I don't understand why you are fighting so hard for privacy of made up information but wanting EA to have access to actual personal information. Its contradictory.

That being said, even though it is not person info I would like the option to turn off and/or customize what shows for me in avatarbook without having to register.

G

*TTL*

I think we need to get back on topic...

I don't see why this whole FaceBook issue is such a big deal. So people can see what my avatar looks like, what skills she has, and where she's been within this virtual world called EA-Land. So [censored] what? If anyone can find me in RL, or parse any shred of personally-identifiable information from my AvatarBook, I'd really like to know how!

And for those worried about in-game stalkers: What's wrong with the Ignore feature?

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

And for those worried about in-game stalkers: What's wrong with the Ignore feature?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I agree with everything but this.
Maybe I should create a whole new post to answer?
Whats wrong with the ignore feature, let me explain.

(Free accounts / temp accounts = new sims = new creations)

Edited: Deleted all the details due to paranoia, don't want to cause it to be worse lol. Those who read it got the point I think.

G

ROFL I was going to reply to that. With:

Ignore feature hmmm That is a totally different subject. If you care to make a post about that, I will respond to it.

ETA: Been there. Gotta love those "new friends". See this is one reason I am against FB showing who is on what lot.

G

Maybe it's because I just don't invest enough of my real life into the game for me to understand why any of that is a big deal. It all sounds like a big drama-fest, but only for those who are willing to participate. I explain my actions to no one, and that's just the way I like it.

But, for anyone who believes that the privacy button really prevents stalking - it doesn't. You can be found nearly as easily through your friendship web as you can through "Where Am I".

I

imported_Qute Pi

It is a big drama fest, thats why I just pick up and move, leaving all the friends Ive made behind.....I'm here to play a game!

Now that we are in EA Land and I can't move, and I've been found, and there are unlimited free accounts, I give up.

G

You answered that yourself with your last post. Also the widget does not care if you have someone on ignore. So it will lead the stalker directly to the person. Even though you have them on ignore. They can stalk you and lie about you in room and you would not even hear what they were saying. We have been told it will be possible to ignore acct holders not just one avatar. I will be glad when that day comes.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

We prob have the same "friend" LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I've been told that before. I guess they all act the same? maybe all ... could you imagine if it was just 1? But my stalker likes me a lot...so I don't know if he could like you a lot too lolol!

G

Ignore, when it comes to stalkers isn't really worth much anymore. But that doesn't have anything to do with the widgets, it's because it's now been made so easy for someone to re-create.
The privacy that turns off the "where am I" button offers should be considered more when designing the scripts for these widgets. I am sure they can make it so if a player that has their privacy set to on, that their sim would not appear on the widgets.
I think that needs to be done, if it hasn't already.
Has anyone checked to see if a sim, or should I now start saying avatar, comes up in the who's on lot widget if they have their privacy turned on?
It likely does come up, but if it does then it's something that needs to be addressed by the devs.
It's really just another bug or 2 in the game design, not as big a deal as people in this post are making it out to be.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that a lead-pipe guarantee???
Considering that you probably know very little about it beyond what you have been told or seen in ads.... would you be willing to back up your endorsement with everything you posess? House, car, money, etc.?

If the answer is anything other than "Of course not", then you are a bigger fool than............. lol, I can't think of anything more foolish.

G

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

I think we need to get back on topic...

I don't see why this whole FaceBook issue is such a big deal. So people can see what my avatar looks like, what skills she has, and where she's been within this virtual world called EA-Land. So [censored] what? If anyone can find me in RL, or parse any shred of personally-identifiable information from my AvatarBook, I'd really like to know how!

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. I don't care if others can see *your* avatar either - or where she goes, or what she does. That's *your* business. *My* sim is *my* business.

NOIP
Where does all this supreme arrogance come from, anyhow.
That's the big counter-point??? "It doesn't bother *me*, so it shouldn't bother *you*"???
People have different points on view on everything. In this case, some are more sensitive about IG information being available with Avatarbook that is not available without it! This doesn't make either perspective necessarily "the right one" - just the right one for that individual.
The people who are going to use Avatarbook have to get Facebook anyhow in order to use it, so why so much resistance to having the default set at "privacy on" so that those who don't want to, don't have to register with Facebook?

As for the "ignore" feature:
We currently have a "privacy" button in the game that many of us lobbied very hard to get. It is totally overridden by avatarbook. What makes you so sure that some future "update" won't do the same thing to 'ignore'?

G

the issue i see is almost every recent case of child molestation and luring kids and such have come from social network sites and we all know that alot of kids play sims just as adults do and we all know alot of kids arent afraid to give out personal information so dosent this feature have the potential to create a whole bunch of problems now granted if no real info is there might not be much of a issue but lots of kids put real info that would make ea land a michael jackson paradise the ppl that dont have issues with this feature by all means you should opt in and have yourselves a ball but shouldnt be a automatic thing