• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Facebook/Avatarbook - Let's get this straigtened out

P

Purdy

I guess it's only you, Donovan and me that are concerned with Facebooks privacy agreement? No one else seems to understand our concerns about it or just don't care.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Gracie? You seem to be having luck pulling up Avatars.

I'm at work. How exactly do I search for EAland Avatars through Facebook?

I do have the "Avatar Book" application. But unlike you, when I did a search for my sim from here, I did not find her and I could not find Donovan E's.

Could you tell us step by step how you did it?

(Purdy....Facebook's ToS is pretty much the standard that you'll find at most of these 'social networking' sites. I found most of it to be common sense 'bewary of what you put here because it can be seen' type info.)

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

As I mentioned before. The avatarbook login is ea.com webstie and probably has the same security measures as when you login to ea.com to get your account information.

I have no clue why a regular facebook user would use avatarbook because they will have no clue what it is or what to even search for if they stumble upon it.

[/ QUOTE ] Ok - the fog is rolling in and I think I am beginning to slip into a coma........
I was under the impression you had to be registered with Facebook in order to use Avatarbook, but you *seem* to be saying that you can have one without the other. Is "Avatarbook" NOT an applet/plug-in? Is it associated *only* with TSO? Will Donavan blunt the pain behind his eyeballs with REALLY cheap vodka?
Please remember that I am virtually clueless as to what these are and how they work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be a registered facebook user in order to acces avatarbook. However, you do not have to be an EA-Land player to access avatarbook.

P

Purdy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Overall, though, the worst aspect is that in order to opt out we have to sign up at Facebook.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still don't get it. There is no opting out at all. You are part of avatarbook because it is part of Ea-Land now. Your avatar and anything associated with that avatar belongs to EA. Even as a facebook user, I cannot opt out of anything.

The only opt out is to delete your avatars and leave.

If you stay, you have the same choice I have. To know and learn what is available for my use in or out of the game and use it however I want.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a way to block your avatar from being viewed, the problem here is that you have to sign up with Facebook to opt out. And a few of us refuse to sign up with Facebook because of their privacy agreement. So we want to opt out without signing up with Facebook.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

I do have the "Avatar Book" application. But unlike you, when I did a search for my sim from here, I did not find her and I could not find Donovan E's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a general search for all "Donavan". Donavan E was only one of them that I found.

As for B'ellana. I do not believe the search engine recognizes the apostrophe, so I did a general search for "Torres".

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Ok let me give you a hypothetical scenario.....

Dutch has a real life job. She can't always be at her store. With avatarbook, she can monitor her store while she is away from the game. She can view lot information to see who stops by to shop. She can see which of her roomies logged in to help out that day. Her roomies can even communicate with her by leaving messages for her on avatarbook page. This is just another way of extending networking abilities to those that want to use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is fine IF the hypothetical Dutch understands the price she is paying for having a way to further her game experience.

I can see from the many comments on these Facebook threads that the reality of what you are giving up by signing up with Facebook is far from clear. They are not letting you sign up with them in order to further your game experience. They are hoping you will do so, with dollar signs in their greedy little eyes. Unlike other companies, Facebook does not assure that your sign up information will not be used for other purposes. Of course, the legal gobbledegook you have to agree to ensures that most will not truly understand the consequences.

I like to give EA the benefit of the doubt and think they have no evil intent in promoting our use of Facebook. I like to think the Avatar book was an idea for cheap marketing, intended to further the lifespan of the game. That being said, one cannot discount the reality of Facebook's track record and current legal battles based on it's use of subscriber information.

Google "Facebook privacy concerns" and you will get pages of current articles. This level of concern did not arise from only a few paranoids.

Access to Avatar book is gained by providing your EA subscriber info. Keep in mind that millions of people have EA accounts.

You can also Google "Facebook Avatar Book" and get to the main page for Avatar book. (Look -- there's Gracie!
)

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Overall, though, the worst aspect is that in order to opt out we have to sign up at Facebook.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still don't get it. There is no opting out at all. You are part of avatarbook because it is part of Ea-Land now. Your avatar and anything associated with that avatar belongs to EA. Even as a facebook user, I cannot opt out of anything.

The only opt out is to delete your avatars and leave.

If you stay, you have the same choice I have. To know and learn what is available for my use in or out of the game and use it however I want.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a way to block your avatar from being viewed, the problem here is that you have to sign up with Facebook to opt out. And a few of us refuse to sign up with Facebook because of their privacy agreement. So we want to opt out without signing up with Facebook.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way to block your avatar from being viewed in "Avatarbook". If you have a facebook page, you have a choice of having your avatar displayed on your public page, or not.

There is "no" opting out of Avatarbook, itself.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure about this? Can you quote your source?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a general search for all "Donavan". Donavan E was only one of them that I found.

As for B'ellana. I do not believe the search engine recognizes the apostrophe, so I did a general search for "Torres".

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a search for "Donavan" and got Donavan E as well as Donavan (Created:
August, 27 2007 Current Status: Offline
Last Login to EA Land: August, 27 2007 at 00:39 (GMT)

I'd take a screen shot, but this laptop refuses and I'm too lazy to boot up the other one.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone succeeds in opting out of Avatarbook without deleting all of their avatars in game, then I whole heartedly invite them to tell us all how it was done.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a search for "Donavan" and got Donavan E as well as Donavan (Created:
August, 27 2007 Current Status: Offline
Last Login to EA Land: August, 27 2007 at 00:39 (GMT)

I'd take a screen shot, but this laptop refuses and I'm too lazy to boot up the other one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dutch. I didn't want to remind him that he's still waiting on a merge

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

There is no way to block your avatar from being viewed in "Avatarbook". If you have a facebook page, you have a choice of having your avatar displayed on your public page, or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it's even worse than I initially thought.

You can't totally opt out of Avatarbook and Facebook, no matter what you do.

This entire thing is backwards, it should have been opt in to begin with.

G

Under the privacy option on Facebook, you have the option to say who can view your status, etc. Does that not work?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gracie is correct -- your avatar is listed in the Avatar book no matter what. Your avatar, creation date, photo, property, skills, friends...

You can opt to block your bookmarks and activities (which houses you have visited, for instance) by going to "privacy settings." The rest of the info on your avatar is public.

I set my privacy settings for one of my alts, but the all the info I thought would be blocked is still there. Maybe it takes a day to register? Or, maybe past activity remains and only future activity is blocked? Time will tell.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Yes. I do limit my facebook profile to friends. Anyone that wants to see my facebook profile has to request and get a approval as a friend first.

However, Facebook Pages and Avatarbook Pages are completely separate things.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone succeeds in opting out of Avatarbook without deleting all of their avatars in game, then I whole heartedly invite them to tell us all how it was done.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm gobsmacked. I can't put into words how disturbing this is.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it's even worse than I initially thought.

You can't totally opt out of Avatarbook and Facebook, no matter what you do.

This entire thing is backwards, it should have been opt in to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it is easier to understand Avatar book if you look at what it is. A person (third party) got the data from EA on all subscribers to TSO. He used that database to create Avatar book. Thus, all of us are in the database -- all of our avatars, all of our avatar history. It shows, for instance, how many hours your property has had visitors since the beginning of time. Everyone is there, and there is no choice about it since EA provided the info.

In some ways it is more unfair that Facebook itself, because at least one has to opt to join Facebook to have a presence there. By providing the Avatar book access only via Facebook we are required to join Facebook to set privacy on our avatars that are in the Avatar Book. That -- no matter how you cut it -- is just plain wrong.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

Maybe it is easier to understand Avatar book if you look at what it is. A person (third party) got the data from EA on all subscribers to TSO. He used that database to create Avatar book.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like EA turned over our avatar information to a complete stranger. LOL. Avatarbook was developed and created by Michael Twardos, one of our developers. The data provided is not EA subscribers but it is EA-Land subscribers.

R

Roger Wilco

Agreed Dali. This is totally wrong. It's mind boggling to me that anybody would set up such system, even EA.

I

imported_Qute Pi

I tried to read everyones post, sorry if I give duplicate info...

Ok the other day I spent some time in facebook and avatarbook and this is what I learned.

I can see any sims from EA Land. All I have to do is search by name. I do not have to be registered to avatarbook to see them. I can view as a guest. I do however have to be a member of facebook in order to change my privacy settings for my sims account in avatarbook.

So…I sign up for facebook – link my avatar page to my facebook, just because I didn’t know what else to do lol.
I want to note, when I signed up for facebook I used all my sim info, Name: Qute Pi and so on, I did not use any of my personal information. So my facebook is more like a duplication of my sims profile.

The first page that shows up is a page that shows all 8 of my sims on my account.
If I click on one of the sims I’m brought to another page; that specific sims profile page.

From there I can go to Privacy Settings and I can opt out of: Others seeing what properties I have been to, which I think was called news feeds. My bookmarks were already set to auto opt out, which I was happy to see.
(That privacy setting was for just the one sim I clicked on. I would have to do that for each sim I play. However there is only 1 I don’t want everyone to stalk lol the rest I don’t care who sees.)

So if you don’t care about people seeing what property you’ve been to then you don’t have to worry so far.

Your friend list, shows the friends on your web, which is available to any player anyway.

Any questions?

Edit to change: registered under a sim name. Qute Pi didn't get approved, but another fake name I use for my sims did. I put the wrong name above.
Still not my rl info tho.

G

Thank you very much for the info. I'm also in the dark as far as these go. It was very helpful for me and I understood it.

P.S. Can I poke you?

G

The only reason your bookmarks don't show also is because enough of us threw a fit when it was available to anyone using a widget.

This whole thing just astounds me. These things should be opt in, they should have never been automatic, I consider them an invasion of privacy, and I want out of them.

I still say, if someone can't see the info in game, they don't need to see it on a webpage. Those of you who like to snoop on your roomates, your friends, your ex's or whatever, log in and stalk them the old fashioned way.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ok the other day I spent some time in facebook and avatarbook and this is what I learned.

I can see any sims from EA Land. All I have to do is search by name. I do not have to be registered to avatarbook to see them. I can view as a guest. I do however have to be a member of facebook in order to change my privacy settings for my sims account in avatarbook.

So…I sign up for facebook – link my avatar page to my facebook, just because I didn’t know what else to do lol.
I want to note, when I signed up for facebook I used all my sim info, Name: Qute Pi and so on, I did not use any of my personal information. So my facebook is more like a duplication of my sims profile.

The first page that shows up is a page that shows all 8 of my sims on my account.
If I click on one of the sims I’m brought to another page; that specific sims profile page.

From there I can go to Privacy Settings and I can opt out of: Others seeing what properties I have been to, which I think was called news feeds. My bookmarks were already set to auto opt out, which I was happy to see.
(That privacy setting was for just the one sim I clicked on. I would have to do that for each sim I play. However there is only 1 I don’t want everyone to stalk lol the rest I don’t care who sees.)

So if you don’t care about people seeing what property you’ve been to then you don’t have to worry so far.

Your friend list, shows the friends on your web, which is available to any player anyway.

Any questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

If what Qute says is true, and you can sign up with 'phony' info at Facebook, then even if Facebook has had shady dealings with privacy in the past, I'm not sure what the issue is. If you don't want FB to have your personal info, but have to sign up with FB in order to opt-out of some features, then you still don't have to give FB any real life info....if you do then you're the one giving it willingly, nobody is *forcing* you to. What am I missing in all that that has the few people in this thread so disconcerted?

G

I went to my Avatarbook from the game. Searched for my roomie. I found her and her info. Shows our other two roomies but not me. Is it because it's me looking for myself?

I

imported_TheCookieFamily

stalk them the old fashioned way.

Why, when I was your age...
...we had to be logged in to stalk people.

Heehee
So many changes...so little time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

stalk them the old fashioned way.

Why, when I was your age...
...we had to be logged in to stalk people.

Heehee
So many changes...so little time.

[/ QUOTE ]

*snort*

Yeah the old fashioned way of stalking would be to show up on someone's doorstep with a machete' in your hand, I believe....

I

imported_Qute Pi

I haven't learned about the poke yet, but maybe its fun to be poked lol

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

The only reason your bookmarks don't show also is because enough of us threw a fit when it was available to anyone using a widget.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in on that complaint lol.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Any questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

If what Qute says is true, and you can sign up with 'phony' info at Facebook, then even if Facebook has had shady dealings with privacy in the past, I'm not sure what the issue is. If you don't want FB to have your personal info, but have to sign up with FB in order to opt-out of some features, then you still don't have to give FB any real life info....if you do then you're the one giving it willingly, nobody is *forcing* you to. What am I missing in all that that has the few people in this thread so disconcerted?

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad, Qute Pi didn't get approved, but my other sims name did, that is the one I used for facebook, but still is not my real name.

M

mysticlisa516

I would like to find out what a lawyer would have to say about this. EA is publishing our information on another website without our permission.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

I would like to find out what a lawyer would have to say about this. EA is publishing our information on another website without our permission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well depends. All they are putting is your sims information on there...which has no rights to privacy technically...

You can choose to make sure only your facebook friends (which I have none of) can see your facebook, which if anything would have the rl info you used to sign up. I have it so facebook friends can see my avatar page, but avatar book friends can NOT see my facebook page. (even tho its all fake anyway. lol)

In all reality the info EA are publishing belongs to EA...we don't own our avatars...

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to read up on their ToS/UA to find out if anywhere they said they wouldn't....if they didn't say they wouldn't, then I dont think anybody would have a leg to stand on legally....but if they said they wouldn't and then turned around and did, that might be another story. The next step would be finding a lawyer to sue for breach of contract on a contingency basis, which isn't likely to happen. But I do know a lawyer will require you to bring in a copy of the ToS/UA so he/she can review it.

<blockquote><hr>

In all reality the info EA are publishing belongs to EA...we don't own our avatars...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's the other kicker.....we don't 'own' our avatars, therefore they are not 'ours' to expect privacy too. If anybody puts their RL info up when they register on FB, that's them, not EA.....all EA turns over is sim info.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Well... I think they would be ok (I'm not a lawyer by any means) because technically we don't own our avatars or the information. EA does. I honestly understand why they would create something like this - its not that new. I can think of several other gaming related items like this - xfire sigs for one, and xbox 360 gamertags. The difference is that you have more options with those. I can mark certain things private or friends only concerning my xbox 360 info or I can choose to share it with everyone.

That is my primary concern. I definately agree there should be an option to 'opt-out' and/or choose what is displayed... without having to register/use.

R

Roger Wilco

From the Facebook Terms of Use:

In consideration of your use of the Site, you agree to (a) provide accurate, current and complete information about you as may be prompted by any registration forms on the Site ("Registration Data"); (b) maintain the security of your password and identification; (c) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data, and any other information you provide to Company, to keep it accurate, current and complete; and (d) be fully responsible for all use of your account and for any actions that take place using your account.

G

Ya'll are too funny about this Avatar Book.

Hopefully the paranoia of 5-10 people doesn't have it shut down. I personally like the service, and use it along with the Facebook account I already had.

I am having a difficult time finding the information shared by Avatar Book to be "sensitive", especially since most of it can be obtained from within the game anyway.

I know that one tool users have long requested is a "Date Last Logged in" feature so they can keep up with their friends, and if they still play. Avatar Book provides this. All in all, I think it's a nifty applet on a website which millions use. It isn't surprising to me that those who find this to be the most invasive don't even use Facebook regularly, or those who do use it under the guise of their avatar names.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

In consideration of your use of the Site, you agree to (a) provide accurate, current and complete information about you as may be prompted by any registration forms on the Site ("Registration Data"); (b) maintain the security of your password and identification; (c) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data, and any other information you provide to Company, to keep it accurate, current and complete; and (d) be fully responsible for all use of your account and for any actions that take place using your account.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...I'm still not going to put in my personal information I don't want to give, regardless. We are not protected from identity theft, so they can shove their terms lol. I used a fake name, and I'm keeping it that way.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously avatar data is considered to be accurate and completey info since it was accepted as valid. either that or FB isn't any more thorough with enforcing their ToS than EA once was.....in either case I don't see a problem with providing avatar info as if it were your avatar signing up for Facebook, not the human behind him/her.

G

The only thing we are asking is for it to be opted out by default. The way the bookmarks are now. There should be no need for us to have to create an acct to opt out. Let the ones that want to participate go there and click to participate.

True our sims profile will still be able to be viewed by all. However if we opt out, they will not see the last places we visited or who is on our bookmarks.

If we all thought like Carrie and Dutch the bookmarks would still be visible to all by default.

G

If it should come to their attention that my FB page isnt my RL info and they close my page then fine its not like I'm so attached to it that I would really care.

I run into alot of names that are clearly not real on FB 2 that come to mind are . (yes just a dot) and Paranoid and not tellin. In the Knighthood message boards there are alot of complaints of armies created using fake FB profiles. (Yes people that play FB games cheat and even bot just like everywhere else go figure)

I dont think its FB's priority to make sure each page is an individual real person.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Did you like it when everyone could see all of your bookmarks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't care if they could, because my bookmarks represent who my friends are, and I'm not ashamed for anybody to know who I hang out with and like to be around, so I wouldn't have seen the big deal there, either. *shrugs*

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't care if they could, because my bookmarks represent who my friends are, and I'm not ashamed for anybody to know who I hang out with and like to be around, so I wouldn't have seen the big deal there, either. *shrugs*

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

The only thing we are asking is for it to be opted out by default. The way the bookmarks are now. There should be no need for us to have to create an acct to opt out. Let the ones that want to participate go there and click to participate.

True our sims profile will still be able to be viewed by all. However if we opt out, they will not see the last places we visited or who is on our bookmarks.

If we all thought like Carrie and Dutch the bookmarks would still be visible to all by default.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that I disagree with you , it's just apart of our new game EA Land that we have to get used to.

In my eyes they have their development plans and unless EVERYONE gets upset like the bookmarks, they aren't going to auto opt out everything. They want players to get involved, and non players to get interested. I can't blame them, it's a decent plan to get more subscribers, (which we need) plus now I don't have to stalk stratics boards being crabby everytime I miss EA Land while I'm at work.

I know they are basically forcing us to sign up in order to opt out of news links (last place visit) but it really only took me 5 minutes, so I'm not gonna spend a whole lot of time upset about it. I don't use facebook otherwise, but now I can make sure my stuff is private if I want to.

How long do you think you spent saying "I dont want to sign up", you could have already changed your privacy.

And not to be rude, or take away from this informative thread but...THIS IS NOT TSO ANYMORE! New world, New rules...

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I didn't want the world to know I was stalking Lee...lol ok kidding, it wasn't Lee...I'm not tellin who I stalk lol...

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully, EA did.

Hopefully they will recognize that this default "opt in" stance into Avatarbook/Facebook is wrong, and will do something about it soon.

G

This is not about you or me. I have signed up!
It is about morals. Maybe a good rule would be. If we need to put an opt out button on something because of privacy, we should make that the default.
Why would anyone be against that? Why is this such a big discussion? LOL I am done with it now. Since as you said I am wasting my time.
btw, I don't have to get used to sh*t!

G

<blockquote><hr>

We are not protected from identity theft, so they can shove their terms lol. I used a fake name, and I'm keeping it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is no guarantee against ID theft. They display your e-mail addy publicly by default, and share your IP with advertisers (not known for their fortress-like security).

G

<blockquote><hr>

It is about morals. Maybe a good rule would be. If we need to put an opt out button on something because of privacy, we should make that the default.
Why would anyone be against that? Why is this such a big discussion? LOL I am done with it now. Since as you said I am wasting my time.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not 'against' it per se. If that is the way it had started out, then that'd be fine too. As it is, there is a way for those who wish to protect their privacy to do so, and as demonstrated in this thread, there's no reason anybody HAS to give up RL info to do it, if they don't choose to do so, despite what was quoted from their ToS. Having the ability to block what I want to is good enough for me to not ask EA to undo anything they've done for my benefit.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, you don't have to.
Personally I choose to.

Wait, morals over an avatar? nvm I give up lol.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I had the most fun when this feature was added. I deleted all my bookmarks which really had no rhyme or reason to them at all and only bookmarked sims if they had the word "coy" in their name.

Since then, I've chosen to block my bookmarks just in case I have someone bookmarked that is paranoid about their privacy. No telling what would happen if they find out I have them bookmarked and then started stalking me to tell me all about it.