• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Facebook/Avatarbook - Let's get this straigtened out

G

There has been much discussion on this subject in another thread, and it seems to me that there is a great deal of confusion. I want to put Q&A in a seperate thread to try to establish what the actual facts are.
I have to confess to a certain ignorance of how Facebook works, and I am reluctant to register in order to find out first hand, because I find the privacy agreement to be.... well, let's just say it's not to my liking.

When responding to this thread, please keep in mind that it's purpose is to gather information, not to beat each other up.

Here goes:

This is what was said in another thread:
*If I do NOT sign up for Facebook AND I do not install AvatarBook, then my sim's info will not show up for someone who *is* using Facebook and/or Avatarbook.*

But others are saying just the opposite:
ANYONE who uses the Facebook/Avatarbook (whatever) feature, CAN view my sim's info.

Not everybody can be right.

Now, let's get this straightened out.

Facebook is the mother site that links to the internet, correct?
Avatarbook is the plug-in? applet? that must be installed in order to view TSO information IG, right?
Assuming that is correct - some questions:

Can someone, using *only* Facebook, and NOT a TSO subscriber, view anything inside TSO?
If "yes", what kind of info?
Same question, but with Avatarbook 'installed'?

Can a TSO subscriber, using *only* Facebook, and NOT in-game, view anything inside TSO?
Same question, but with Avatarbook 'installed'?

Can anyone, in-game, use Facebook/Avatarbook to view information about a Sim whose human has NOT registered with Facebook?

What kind of privileges are given to 'Free Account' players who use Facebook/Avatarbook?

What must I do to ensure that my sim's info can not be viewed? Is simply not registering for a Facebook account enough? Or do I have to register an account in order to block my sims?

Please feel free to add any pertinent info not covered by these questions.
Thanks.

M

mysticlisa516

I signed up for Facebook under a fake name and information. And I can find any information that I want for any player.

This is totally wrong for this information to be public if someone is not signed up for the site.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

FACT:

Logged in as an avatarbook member, I can do a general search for the avatar named "Donavan". After looking thru several variations, I chose this one.

This is what I can see.

Would you like me to poke you, too?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

LMAO...But you have him on your list Gracie as I do too.

Do something for me if you would Gracie. Try to look up Belanna Torres and post a screenie of the Avatar Page you find for her.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Well Lee is obviously signed up for Facebook/Avatar Page...same as you and me.

Try to find someone we know isn't on an Avatar Page. That's why I suggest Belanna Torres. I know I've never set her up.

Mystic? If you can find anyone's avatar on Avatar Book...please find for me and post a screenie of the page for.....Somebody.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

LOL oh that's Donovan? not Lee?

Try to find someone we know isn't on an Avatar Page. That's why I suggest Belanna Torres. I know I've never set her up.

Mystic? If you can find anyone's avatar on Avatar Book...please find for me and post a screenie of the page for.....Somebody.

[/ QUOTE ]

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I was under the impression that Donavan never signed up either. But here you go.

G

<blockquote><hr>

FACT:

Logged in as an avatarbook member, I can do a general search for the avatar named "Donavan". After looking thru several variations, I chose this one.

This is what I can see.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what it means to 'update' my 'status', or what happens if I get "poked".

G

<blockquote><hr>

LMAO...But you have him on your list Gracie as I do too.

[/ QUOTE ]
How does someone get on a "list"? How does that work?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Hmm...well she is on my friendship web isn't she...OMG have I NOT met any of my other sims?

How come I can't pull up anyone? I did a search under a few people and I'm not getting any hits on anyone but the people in my web?

(Just like in Myspace...Facebook has 'friendship lists'....but if you are on her TSO Friendship web, then she would be able to pull your info up.)

I would like to find where you are searching for this info if not from your avatar page? Because my avatar page is only giving me 6 pages of registered avatars.

G

<blockquote><hr>

FACT:

This is what I can see.

[/ QUOTE ]
Were you in-game when you pulled this up, or not?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I was under the impression that Donavan never signed up either. But here you go.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct. I have never signed up for Facebook.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct. I have never signed up for Facebook.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the info being revealed on the page?

FYI&gt;...I type in Donovan E. and I get a whole list of funky lookin guys looking for dates. OMG!!!

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Currently there are several status options available.

You have the ability to link your avatarbook application directly to your facebook page or keep it separate. Since my entire facebook page was created around Gracie Nito , I have no problem linking my "Gracie Nito" Avatar to that page.

Most everything on avatarbook can be obtained by logging into the game.

I can do a search in game for you and find out...

Where you live,
Who your friends are
What your skills are
Who your roomies are

Information not available in game but is available to me on avatarbook is...

The last time you logged in
The last 3 places you visited

When doing a lot search, I can see if lot is open and who is there on this gadget.

Keep in mind that this gadget is not always current. When I took this screen shot, these people were not actually in my house. They had been there ealier before I got carnapped. There is some lag in updated lot information. In game, I have to actually enter a lot to see who is there.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

Were you in-game when you pulled this up, or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

In game, I found your avatar and clicked the facebookpage icon. This took me to login page for facebook. Once I logged in, it took me directly to your avatarbook page, previously posted here.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Think we were trying to figure out what could be accessed from outside the game directly through Facebook?

I'm at work and do not have access to log into EAland...so I'm doing searches through Facebook and I'm not coming up with much except for people who are registered.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
The page Gracie posted? I don't know what you are asking.
<blockquote><hr>

FYI&gt;...I type in Donovan E. and I get a whole list of funky lookin guys looking for dates. OMG!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? ok - I know I can be really dense sometimes, but I have NO idea what you are talking about. There's nothing in my bio about dates.
He is "Donavan E" because he was my first EA Land sim, originally named "Donavan". At some point, my AV sim, also "Donavan" became "searchable" in EA Land - when that happened, EAL "Donavan" became "Donavan"+a bunch of numbers. I changed it to "Donavan E" to indicate my EA Land Donavan.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

Think we were trying to figure out what could be accessed from outside the game directly through Facebook?

I'm at work and do not have access to log into EAland...so I'm doing searches through Facebook and I'm not coming up with much except for people who are registered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donavan is not registered with facebook. However we do have access to his avatar information because we are registered with facebook and have installed the Avatarbook application.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
The page Gracie posted? I don't know what you are asking.
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? ok - I know I can be really dense sometimes, but I have NO idea what you are talking about. There's nothing in my bio about dates.
He is "Donavan E" because he was my first EA Land sim, originally named "Donavan". At some point, my AV sim, also "Donavan" became "searchable" in EA Land - when that happened, EAL "Donavan" became "Donavan"+a bunch of numbers. I changed it to "Donavan E" to indicate my EA Land Donavan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see the date Donavan E was created in game on your sim bio.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can see the date Donavan E was created in game on your sim bio.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because your in game correct? Meaning your in EA or TC3 and openign Facebook?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I'm not in the game right now and I can't pull it up. And I can't pull up Belanna Torres either.

I did find Marmalade...but she is registered.

G

Thanks a bunch, Gracie.
I hope you don't mind one more question.

Would the information you are able to view be any different if I were a registered user of Facebook? Additional stuff? More detail?

G

When i sign into Facebook outside of game i get a totally different page. Because in game its Avatarbook NOT facebook technically. So I am now assuming you'd have to be signed into Avatarbook. Also when i click Avatarbook from the Facebook page it asks me to give them my EA log in and p/w NO WAY!

I

imported_Gracie Nito

If you were a registered user of facebook. You have the option of sharing your bookmarks. Meaning your bookmarks would be displayed on your avatarpage as well.

There is also a feature of facebook called "news feeds". Anytime you update your avatar information, it will send a newsfeed message to your other friends on facebook so they can see what you changed.

For example.... the "status" you asked about earlier. I can type in any silly phrase I want and it will send a newsfeed to my friends.

Status: Gracie Nito is currently discussing avatarbook on stratics

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

When i sign into Facebook outside of game i get a totally different page. Because in game its Avatarbook NOT facebook technically. So I am now assuming you'd have to be signed into Avatarbook. Also when i click Avatarbook from the Facebook page it asks me to give them my EA log in and p/w NO WAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you could view avatarbook as a guest without logging in.

The avatarbook login is for registered members of EA.com only. You will note that login page is not a facebook page at all but is hosted by ea.com and secure.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Oh well, I give up Donovan, Gracie and the rest of you.

I will bow out and give you free will at spinning your yarns however you want because my input was probably never of value to you anyway because it's been totally ignored. (BTW...the ealand interface for Avatar Book is actually EA's not Facebooks but you don't wanna know that either. lol)

I'll go back to doing what I'm actually very good at....doing my own thing.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
This can't be good - how many times have we been warned about this over the years?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
This can't be good - how many times have we been warned about this over the years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering Gracie just said that the site (Avatarbook) is HOSTED BY EA, then those warnings would not apply, would they?

G

I took a screenie of it also. Just makes no sense to me at all. So wether we are registered or not people who are subscribed to AVATARBOOK can see the same information, but it seems that the only way is tho register in Avatarbook is thru EA no? I registered this morning to set my privacy settings ONLY.. i have reason to check who has been where and when they logged in or out. I prefer to worry about my own sims err avatars... i dont see the purpose in ppl needing to see this info

I

imported_Gracie Nito

As I mentioned before. The avatarbook login is ea.com webstie and probably has the same security measures as when you login to ea.com to get your account information.

I have no clue why a regular facebook user would use avatarbook because they will have no clue what it is or what to even search for if they stumble upon it. Some might actually download EALand from this page tho....

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have no clue why a regular facebook user would use avatarbook because they will have no clue what it is or what to even search for if they stumble upon it. Some might actually download EALand from this page tho....

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I am saying i don't think they can register without being registered with EA correct? My point is why on earth anyone in game would want this info LOL we are actually working thru the who?whats?where's?wth's? About Avatarbook and Facebook combination. So maybe some people with understand better.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I will bow out and give you free will at spinning your yarns however you want because my input was probably never of value to you anyway because it's been totally ignored. (BTW...the ealand interface for Avatar Book is actually EA's not Facebooks but you don't wanna know that either. lol)

I'll go back to doing what I'm actually very good at....doing my own thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTH? Nobody's ignoring you - I have responded to your posts and asked questions. I *have* considered what you had to say - not my fault if you didn't say much or answer my questions.
If you want to cop an attitude, then it's one of your own creation.
Now, why don't you take the chip off your shoulder and join the discussion?
The goal here, is to gather factual information about Facebook in order for people to make informed decisions/opinions about it's use.
Keyword "informed". If you don't contribute then it's the subject that suffers, not me, Gracie, or anybody else.

G

I had to log into Facebook to see what's up with all this. I made a funny discovery!! I now have two nephews, a niece, a very good friend and a few others as my "friends" on Facebook. Since I registered under a completely false name, how did they know it was me?????

G

what email did you use? Well don't tell me but that's how i got my *friends* they were all from my messenger and email contacts book. And to clarify thats on the FACEBOOK section NOT Avatarbook

G

<blockquote><hr>

I took a screenie of it also. Just makes no sense to me at all. So wether we are registered or not people who are subscribed to AVATARBOOK can see the same information, but it seems that the only way is tho register in Avatarbook is thru EA no? I registered this morning to set my privacy settings ONLY.. i have reason to check who has been where and when they logged in or out. I prefer to worry about my own sims err avatars... i dont see the purpose in ppl needing to see this info

[/ QUOTE ]

but by the same token, I wouldn't go looking to see who had logged in when and where, but nor would I care if somebody was bored enough to check that out about me. Seems like it'd be a good way to discern who spends 12+ hours in a money house, which will help flush out the extended botters, I think.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I am assuming the rest of you is me... ( assuming )... my name is clearly stated over there&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Not trying to sound harsh but on another thread i was posting on you made a coment about *new* poster.. i am not new at all only a new stratics account... And honestly if I WAS new i'd run for the hills from CH... aka the viper pit.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I am saying i don't think they can register without being registered with EA correct? My point is why on earth anyone in game would want this info LOL we are actually working thru the who?whats?where's?wth's? About Avatarbook and Facebook combination. So maybe some people with understand better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok let me give you a hypothetical scenario.....

Dutch America owns a very successful store in EAland. She coordinates merchandise pricing and stocks her store through the help of 7 other players that live and work with her at the store.

Dutch has a real life job. She can't always be at her store. With avatarbook, she can monitor her store while she is away from the game. She can view lot information to see who stops by to shop. She can see which of her roomies logged in to help out that day. Her roomies can even communicate with her by leaving messages for her on avatarbook page. This is just another way of extending networking abilities to those that want to use it.

I'm sure in the past, many people have kept in touch using YIM, AIM, or MSN. However, not everyone can use those types of programs to keep in touch with their roomies while at work.

This is not something that every gamer will need or want to use. It is, however, and added feature for those that want to use it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Seems like it'd be a good way to discern who spends 12+ hours in a money house, which will help flush out the extended botters, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome point and maybe that was one of the WAYS Lee said he couldn't actually mention on here for obvious reasons. And well now IF the botters do come here they will now know they CAN change their privacy settings, altho im sure EA has a way around that too since they host it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This is not something that every gamer will need or want to use. It is, however, and added feature for those that want to use it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope i don't plan on using while at the same time i do see who might. I just think we should have had a choice to be part of it all. Meaning i can't see why i HAD to register just to NOT take part was my only concern.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Or we can use it to figure out that one of our oldest and most wonderful ever sim friends is now gone.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope i don't plan on using while at the same time i do see who might. I just think we should have had a choice to be part of it all. Meaning i can't see why i HAD to register just to NOT take part was my only concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do not want to be part of the game, then the only opt out is to cancel your subscription. As I mentioned numerous times before. This is only an extension of the game itself.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If you do not want to be part of the game, then the only opt out is to cancel your subscription. As I mentioned numerous times before. This is only an extension of the game itself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where in my post did I ever say i didn't want to be part of the game. I said i didn't want to be part of avatarbook. Because wether we like our sims listed or not they are. I think EA should of gave us that option. Sheesh! Think that was pretty harsh there Gracie. And often I wonder why *new people* don't express themselves more on here rofl they are probably too meek or polite to post

G

<blockquote><hr>

As I mentioned before. The avatarbook login is ea.com webstie and probably has the same security measures as when you login to ea.com to get your account information.

I have no clue why a regular facebook user would use avatarbook because they will have no clue what it is or what to even search for if they stumble upon it.

[/ QUOTE ] Ok - the fog is rolling in and I think I am beginning to slip into a coma........
I was under the impression you had to be registered with Facebook in order to use Avatarbook, but you *seem* to be saying that you can have one without the other. Is "Avatarbook" NOT an applet/plug-in? Is it associated *only* with TSO? Will Donavan blunt the pain behind his eyeballs with REALLY cheap vodka?
Please remember that I am virtually clueless as to what these are and how they work.

G

yes you can have facebook without avatarbook, but not the other way around. Because once u register your avatarbook you register with facebook. I have NEVER registered wiht facebook alone only Avatarbook and now i got both.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget -- EA has many (MANY is an understatement) more subscribers than just those of us who play TSO (or whatever the official name is now). Anyone with an EA account can play with the Avatar book. I have a family member who told me she logged in to Avatar book, even though she has not played TSO since 2003. She used her EA account -- she plays POGO -- because she wanted to see if any of her old buddies were still in the game.

It has been pointed out in another thread there are people who will go to great lengths to harrass, stalk or just plain spy on others. This may not be a concern for you, but do not discount the whacko factor that is fed by this sort of data availability.

Overall, though, the worst aspect is that in order to opt out we have to sign up at Facebook. In order to see what the fuss is about, we have to sign up at Facebook. Facebook is being investigated for the way it maintains and uses information users provide at sign up. Unlike many providers, Facebook NEVER discards any information you provide. Anyone who uses Facebook is tracked as they navigate the 'net. This information is mined and of high interest not only to Facebook, but myriad third parties who want to know how best to target you for their gain.

Here is a quote from an article, one of many, regarding the privacy problems with Facebook:

Facebook, as a company, may have a policy that employees should respect user privacy. But some Facebook employees obviously do not follow that policy, and Facebook appears to have no effective way of stopping them.
The second part, that access to sensitive data is "restricted" is meaninglessly vague. Restricted how? And to whom? Customer service employees, for example, obviously must have access to profiles and activity on the site in order to investigate complaints. What's to stop them from idly viewing other profiles while they're passing the time? And programmers and system administrators need to have deep access to the company's software. Even if access is restricted, has Facebook restricted it to people who deserve that trust? Has Facebook, say, conducted background checks on those employees? Does it log their every access to the system, and examine those logs?

Here is a legal article entitled "Facebook Isn't Private" -- you should read it: http://www.legalandrew.com/2007/07/21/facebook-and-the-law-8-things-to-know/ It also addresses the safety risks inherent in the third party applications (widgets) that are being touted to us.

And see this link http://epic.org/privacy/facebook/ at the bottom of the page is a list of articles germane to Facebook issues. Read up. I think most Facebook users are too young to care about privacy issues, but I know most of you are old enough to pay attention.

EA's AVATAR BOOK and Facebook are linked. That our participation in Facebook is necessary to opt out of Avatar book is not right.

G

Ok - here's what I (think) I understand so far....
All sims (avatars) in TSO (EA Land) can be accessed by Avatarbook, as shown by Gracie's example, whether a facebook subscriber or not. You must be registered with Facebook in order to have access to Avatarbook, and you must be registered with EA Land in order to use it.
It is not possible to 'block' (opt-out) your sim(s) without registering with Facebook.
In order to 'block' (opt-out) *without* registering with Facebook, one must cancel his TSO subsciption.
Correct or no?

p.s. welcome back, Dutch.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

Overall, though, the worst aspect is that in order to opt out we have to sign up at Facebook.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still don't get it. There is no opting out at all. You are part of avatarbook because it is part of Ea-Land now. Your avatar and anything associated with that avatar belongs to EA. Even as a facebook user, I cannot opt out of anything.

The only opt out is to delete your avatars and leave.

If you stay, you have the same choice I have. To know and learn what is available for my use in or out of the game and use it however I want.