• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Expansions

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just wondering if it has ever been brought up to make all UO expansions up to Stygian free to play and then make Stygian monthly payment of like 10 bucks. That would rock and would bring back alot of players. I know UO has a ton of content, I played for 8 years and I am back now after a 2 year break. Merging some servers I know has been brought up many times. I would like to see servers full again and I really think this would do it! What do you guys think?

Kri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering if it has ever been brought up to make all UO expansions up to Stygian free to play and then make Stygian monthly payment of like 10 bucks. That would rock and would bring back alot of players. I know UO has a ton of content, I played for 8 years and I am back now after a 2 year break. Merging some servers I know has been brought up many times. I would like to see servers full again and I really think this would do it! What do you guys think?

They already did your first suggestion (gave everyone access to all content up to and including Mondain's Legacy) a short while before SA came out. It's not free to play, but it doesn't require buying any expansion packs. I doubt they would ever make it F2P - I'm sure a large majority of their player base would opt to go that route (on at least a majority of their accounts) and it would lose them a significant amount of their current revenue.

As for dropping the monthly fee... I seriously doubt it would happen - they would have to gain half of the player base to make up the difference and I'm sure they realize doing so probably wouldn't bring in near enough new/returning players to compensate for the 50% loss form all current subscribers in addition to attrition from the above suggestion.

Not that I wouldn't love to pay less, but if they did either of these suggestions it would probably reduce the game's revenue below the point that makes it viable to keep running (hardware, support, dev, etc. costs vs. revenue) and they would shutter it (which I would hate to see.)

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
True, good point. Many wouldn't fool with Stygian if that were the case. I would then suggest having free access up to AOS or even Samurai's Empire. This would allow players to get in find out how much fun UO STILL IS and then opt to buy more expansions and even pay for the monthly sub and ultimately just have more players in the game. I know there are tons of people paying for their accounts and not playing. I have many friends, that do that. It's just not enough to have a free play when they know it will be over soon.

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also, my point is exactly to get more players in the game. This method has been used in many games and I think would be good for UO. I believe it will create more players not the latter. Those hardcore UO'ers aren't letting their houses fall or accounts go inactive. Upon, further thinking, I believe the housing method would still stand. If you didn't have a sub your house would decay.