• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Expanding a keep with extra plot... (big images)

R

Rocklin

I have been lucky to have a spot open next to my Keep location. A 17x18 plot was placed next door and I am trying to use some design "magic" to make the new 17x18 plot appear conjoined to the keep.

Here are some pictures.

Any ideas on how to make these two plots "flow"? Is it even possible?

Thanks

R

Rocklin

So far this has been a helluva way to spend a day off. I cannot seem to get this down. One of the main problems I am having is that pieces of the original Keep are not in the house design kit. Namely, the mid-sized wall pieces on the tops of walls.

I can see this is going to take some time to figure.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This looked like a fun challenge, so I had to try. The main thing I learned with merging houses is that it works best for the "main" floor to be built on the 2nd floor of your plot and you will have to sacrifice the 1st floor to weirdness in order to make the illusion work right. Does this kick start some ideas for you?

Hard to find a good solution for the area by the sign. Maybe build the walls up higher so the ground level looks like doorless entry into a garden area. If you use House Builder at all and want the .hb file I have for this, let me know. Might be better to make the taller guard tower at the NE corner instead. Now you got me started... see what you did? *mutters*

R

Rocklin

This looked like a fun challenge, so I had to try. The main thing I learned with merging houses is that it works best for the "main" floor to be built on the 2nd floor of your plot and you will have to sacrifice the 1st floor to weirdness in order to make the illusion work right. Does this kick start some ideas for you?

Hard to find a good solution for the area by the sign. Maybe build the walls up higher so the ground level looks like doorless entry into a garden area. If you use House Builder at all and want the .hb file I have for this, let me know. Might be better to make the taller guard tower at the NE corner instead. Now you got me started... see what you did? *mutters*

Now that is friggen COOL. How do you guys do it? Man. Gives me alot to work with, thank you so much.

R

Rocklin

Alright, here is take one. As you can see I used Zym's West boarder grass tile and wall to connect the plots. Instead of a little house I simply left a large courtyard and edged the East side with twin towers. The design is simple but I like it.

2D Image

Enhanced

One thing I failed to mention is that the house will be a center for gardening and plant growing. As such, the house function lends itself to larger/open spaces. I tried to place a dock to the rear of the property, but it became cluttered in the design.

Thank you again to Zym for the point in the right direction.

~ Rock

R

Rocklin

It gets worse, there is an 18x14 open to the East of the new plot now too. Ugh.

T

Teeshy

*chuckles* Good luck with that one! =D

That looks really nice =) Just curious, if you used the same type of wall piece that the keep is made of (but just the stick bit) for the sign hanger, does that make it look anything like it might be a doorway, or archway?

R

Rocklin

*chuckles* Good luck with that one! =D

That looks really nice =) Just curious, if you used the same type of wall piece that the keep is made of (but just the stick bit) for the sign hanger, does that make it look anything like it might be a doorway, or archway?
I can place walls in that corner but the lawn tiles help the illusion that the two homes are linked.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the new teleporters you can make it so you can "walk" from roof to roof

have fun with that idea:gee:

T

Tay M'real

wow - very neat!

wish i could get HB to work - it keeps erroring :(

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow... that is the first screenshot i've seen that actually made me want to d/l the enhanced client :D the courtyard grass looks like grass! with sun shining on it! *amazed*.
great job so far, love the design and the courtyard looks amazing!