• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Event Moderator Quest Items - Part 2

E

eol

Well sure its a fun thing to actually turn in rare items to take place in the events, good to go along with the program so to speak.

But remember, UO is a game where items in the game equal real money. Thus that rare item you turn in might actually get you some money if you don't turn it in. Depends on if you want to roleplay in the game or make some cash.

A perfect example....

Many publishes ago we had the Yew change, when plague beasts and lords were first introduced, when the landscape of Yew changed from woodland into swamps. Now, if you might remember part of the quest was gathering up I think blue plague beast lord cores and "putting" them into the trees around Yew, to heal them and finish the quest.

I and a few others spend days running around getting good at getting those blue cores. (icy blue brain graphics). At one point, I had dozens of them, but one guy who did it almost the entire time had maybe a hundred or more!. Now, 2 things happened. He actually went along with the quest, hoping for maybe a reward or something, seeing what would happen. Me, I kept my blue brains and stuck them in the bank, knowing they would be rare once the publish was finished and the spawn dissappeared.

Bingo. He turned his blue brain cores in, helped heal the trees, helped the "quest" and got...zilch out of it. Me, I kept my blue brain cores, sold alot of them for 200k each, and made about 4 mil off it.

Who was smarter? personally I think I was. I got something for my effort other than a short good feeling of participating in the quest. Its not like UO really helps out people in the game, most of the time they like to screw people over (ruining pvp, ruining rares, ruining skills for item based game playing, etc). So do I feel the least bit guilty about keeping such rares and letting the event coordinators fend for themselves? Heck no.

M

mdacc#one

Last night on Sonoma, they finally released some event items. One was the mask of the evil necromancer. He unmasked himself and just tossed it on the floor. Who ever was lucky enough to stand next to him just picked it up. I love it, there was a pause when it went on the ground. I guess people were expecting to beat it out of him lol. Then he transformed into this neon-blusish demon of which when he was slain, his hide was made into souvieners (sp). There were at most 4-5 pieces of this hide, they are unique color and has the name of the demon on it.

Right afterwards, on Pacific there was another event. This time, 3 awsome looking mercernaries showed up weilding incredible weapons andyhow they where blessed but they did dropped a tattored cloak of the merceneries (sp). About 10 of those cloaks were obtained. Still will be considered very rare since only 10 across all shards. If somone would like to take screen shots and post them, please let me know. PM me.

L

Lord_Candor

Nice stuff, meanwhile I have people on Atlantic Shard crying foul that items should not be given out as rewards. They should be for Roleplaying only. I don't see the reasoning. I theorize that if they continue events every month for a few years to come, there will be so many "unique" items in the game, that they will be fairly obtainable at reasonable rates rather than the "high price, high demand" tag they have now.

(Thats just my two cents, which don't amount to much.)

M

mdacc#one

Not all events will drop items, and not all items are in equal value. The demand will remain high as the number of players are increasing and current collectors wants more.

L

Lord_Candor

I agree that demand will be high, but over time, just like with all things, if you flood the market with tons of items, prices fall and stabalize. My theory:

At the minimum, how many shards participate with items? 15? If each shard did a drop of items 2 times a month, (some shards less, some shards more), you would have 30 events dropping items. Some shards are dropping approximately 4 items, some shards have dropped as much as 10-15 items. So you can say anywhere from 120 rare named items to as many as 200 rare named items a month can be born. Imagine how many (rare) named items there could be in a year if they kept up with quests? If someone wanted to own just one of each item you could expect to shell out more than 1 Billion Gold for them just for the past quest items (April and May only, not the Orc Quest stuff from the beginning of the year.)Demand will always be high, but prices will surely fall. Only a select few could even afford to buy up the past quest items, but surely will have trouble acquiring the next few hundred. What happens when people can no longer afford to pay for the incredibly high prices of items and even more are coming out? Demand for the item will remain high, but alot of good that will do when you don't have the same gold to buy them. Either the price will fall so that it can be sold, or people will just resort to trading.
That's my view, which doesn't amount to much, but I don't think I'm far off track with this. It's economics. There isn't a gold sink in UO, so more of it comes in everyday. Perhaps the items will still command 30+ mill a year or two down the line, but with the devaluation of gold, due to no gold sink, that 30+ mill a year down the line may only be worth 15 mill by todays standards. Once again, economics.

J

Justin_Katz_WR

I've been collecting rares now (server birth/quest/uniquely named) or otherwise for 4 yrs....The amount of total rares specificly unique items in this case...will have 0 effect on the overall value of quest items...Their values are completely unlinked due to each ones particular demand/quantity/etc....As I said...4 yrs ive been collecting and seen 100s of server births/true rares/quest items...and some of their values have not only stayed level over time but risen. Point being...desirability more than rarity dictates value...Doesnt matter how many quest items come out...some of them will be extremely desirable due to hue/mods/unique names or whatever. And there will always be people with 100s of millions to dish out or trade to acquier them. To clump every single quest item togather as if they are 1 type of item...is to completely disreguard what they are...unique and unlike any other item in the game.

L

Lord_Candor

hmm.....Phoenix armor, did it go up in price or stay at a moderate level?

Each Piece was valued at 6 million a few years back, what is it worth today? Uhmm...roughly 6 million a piece today? But take a look at what happened to gold:

At the same time when each piece of Phoenix armor was valued at 6 million, gold was worth 30+ dollars a million. Today its worth $8 to $10 dollars a million. Inflated economy. Do I really need to further explain my point? It should be simple enough. Figure it out.

I'll see you next year. If the items keep coming, I'll tap you on the back and say, "I told ya so."

M

mdacc#one

see here is where your faulty, you can only list one thing as an example, i can give you 10x the items increased in value for every 1 item you list dropped. And besided your wrong, phenoix armor pieces did not sell 6 mil per piece years ago, they slowly increased over time, when they first came out you can buy them for 150k per piece. Again, they are not that desirable, there were lot more singing balls and yet they are slowly going up in price. Explain that!! Enough said, bottom line is if you dont like it quit this game. But then you can't, thats why you're complaining here.

J

Justin_Katz_WR

Umm....also "a few years ago" i could buy phoenix for 2mil a piece..less even...and again "a few years ago"...i bought a full suit no more than 1 yr ago for 16mil...As for inflation and the constant comparison to real life value of gold as a measurement...the majority of the people playin this game dont use real life cash be it buying or selling items...So inflation sure...but its not as relative to the seeming 100% that youre makin it out to be. I paid 2mil for a seer made tinkering hammer about 2 yrs ago and just sold for 25...Paid 5mil for a Summer Festival sash about 3 yrs ago and i can sell currently for 20-30mil...now gold was $20 a mil back then if you wanna go down that road...But how would the hammer being worth $40 at $20 a mil....and 250$ now at 10$ per mil...Its not economics..its supply and demand...they may be linked but they are far from the same.

I agree with MAC that literally for every 1 item you can list thats gone down in value..I could list 10 or more items that not only have gone up in value...but that i have personally owned and traded over the yrs that have gone up 5-10-20 fold

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's some food for though for you Candor:

Covered chair, sold on auction last year for 26mil, I'm now offered 60mil for mine
Covetous statues I bought last year one for 50 one for 25, now offered 115mil each
Item bless deed, I bought in the panic as AoS came out for 4mil, now offered 50.

Also remember, that a lot of the gold in this game is circulated round back to the richest people again and again. Just today I saw someone talking to one of the arti vendor owners at my shop, he says he makes 10-20mil a DAY profit, from his vendor (and I don't doubt him, I run the shop and keep an eye on things, he sells a LOT). So there are always going to be people out there with insane amounts to buy these items.. the market is stable, or if anything rising.

L

Lord_Candor

Well I'm definitely not going to change your opinions on the economy.

Yes the prices have gone up for those items. The point is that the economy has swelled with gold and continues. NO GOLD SINK. Are you seeing demand in action? Or are you seeing inflation? Just because an item raises in price from 20 mill to 60 mill, does not mean its more desirable. In this case it means the economy has more Multi-millionaire gold hoarders than it used to. Several years ago, how many people were making 10-20 million gold pieces a day? Now how many do it now? From personal experience, I've gone from a few mill in the bank years ago, to hundreds of millions in the bank recently. Gold is so damn easy to make, I don't even hunt anything.

I apologize if you can't contemplate inflation. I wasn't complaining. I wasn't whining. I was just stating a fact. I like this game. So refrain from asking me to quit.....LOL.

Too much of a good thing, is a bad thing. Only time will tell where it all leads.

If the shard you play on only had 1 Billion Gold between all players in 1999, how many Billions more does it have now? What do you think happens to player goods? INFLATION and ECONOMICS.

L

Lord_Candor

Oh yeah, by the way, lets stop with this topic on this thread. Didn't mean for it to go so far off topic.

J

Justin_Katz_WR

Gotta get my last words in and hopefully yes I'll be done with this matter and we can all go back to lookin at those pretty pictures of new quest items....

To start....its extremely clear Candor that you seem to know your economic theory and can apply it to what you feel is a relivent (sp) situation..Its also as clear that you really have very little knowledge of the rares market over the years or the basis for its fluctuations and factors dictating price....Is there inflation in UO..? Absolutly...everyone knows it..and i dont think anyones gonna disagree with your point that 20mil was a lot a few yrs ago..and today it seems 20mil is a drop in the bucket...so yes..inflation out the yingyang. I totally agree...However, what does it matter if inflation is the cause of the boosted prices of rares? Something was 10mil two years ago and now is 50. Ok, inflation, sure its a factor, but its on the bottum of the list. With cross sharding anyone whos collected rares for years will without hesitation say that the rares hobby has exploded. Exploded is an understatement in my opinion, the newfound interest in the hobby i think has driven the current values of items like these far beyond the level that inflation created, on Atlantic for instance before cross sharding there were maybe a half dozen serious rares collectors. Now thats irrelivent (sp), there is no more Atlantic rares collectors, or any shard anymore, the game is global. There were 6 on Atlantic willing to dish out big bucks for rares, now theres 200 on the global economy. So with the inflation over the past few months, year or so, has also come a huge boost in all around interest in rares trade/sales. Getting back to my point, something was 10mil two years ago, now its 50...Do you really think the inflation is that big? Other than the rares market (artys also due to their rarity, which is steadily decreasing along with their value as we all see, due to the fact that the same exact qrtys spawn continuously, unlike quest items which are all unique and independent of each other)...What other markets in the game have become that inflated. I cant think of any. House prices have leveled out, dropped dramaticly even. Other than houses and rares there isnt any big money movement in the game. So while the inflation is deffinatly there, it isnt as though the entire game and every item in it has succumb (sp) to the inflation ratios. It really is only rares/artys, etc. So economics/inflation, any of the real world theories on these subjects really fail to apply in a video game where the inflation is not on the whole and for people who dont deal with these high priced items, really have not been effected at all by it. Inflation by deffination I would think implies to the fact that the economy is boom and bust. What are the odds you think that EA or OSI or whoever is gonna get around to factoring the bust part of inflation into UO. Theyve talked about gold sink for years and we all know this game will be long gone before we ever see it in my opinion. My 2 cents, on what has turned out to be in my opinion a very interesting topic of discussion and granted this is "event mod item" post, i think its safe to say that most of the people who collect these items have opinion on this subtopic.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
E

El Torro

*add* Pacific: Bottle of Yew Wine (swamp green) from dart tourney.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow, you have some serious dedication to thread necro Flutter lol, I don't even know how you found this 10 year old thread.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Lol, well, the only results I get when I try to search are 10+ year old threads, so guess it was likely to happen at some time... :p