• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Europa & Drachenfels servers location!

VaLuD

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
In Moscow we have now minimum 100+ ping. I think after this article for us purposely raised ping :)
For example, I was back in August 2015 in UO and from that time on approximately February / March 2016 I usually have 60-70 ping.
FTWAST only helps with packet losts but generally not much improved with EC client.
Move the server in the center of Europe it is a good idea and d'not support only those who already have a very good ping in PVP, but such is minority in the Europe server!
It's nice that the UO is still life and it would be great if developers will more listen to the wishes of the players.
Thanks and good luck all! :)

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In Moscow we have now minimum 100+ ping. I think after this article for us purposely raised ping :)
For example, I was back in August 2015 in UO and from that time on approximately February / March 2016 I usually have 60-70 ping.
FTWAST only helps with packet losts but generally not much improved with EC client.
Move the server in the center of Europe it is a good idea and d'not support only those who already have a very good ping in PVP, but such is minority in the Europe server!
It's nice that the UO is still life and it would be great if developers will more listen to the wishes of the players.
Thanks and good luck all! :)
Haven't seen you in game for a month, where are you hiding?

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep it where it is, all that happens is some players lose out and some gain. If you can't please everyone leave it alone.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep it where it is, all that happens is some players lose out and some gain. If you can't please everyone leave it alone.
Says the guy living in the UK , i dont see how it might affect you if the server gets moved to the center of Europe. Or is if just another failing argument?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Pwny does well considering he has to mostly play on 3G using his telephone while driving a HGV.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Says the guy living in the UK , i dont see how it might affect you if the server gets moved to the center of Europe. Or is if just another failing argument?
You don't see how it effects me if the server moves further from me and closer to everyone else? Isn't that the exact arguement you're having for moving it? LOL

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So whats the point in having 2 servers in the exact same location (in Dublin) @Bleak when we can have them at two different locations reaching everyone in Europe?

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Move Drachs, the level of pvpers that are calling for this move suits Drachs pvp quality level anyway.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Ok the mayority of Europa players are based in UK and Germany, followed by the remaining European countries and a few turkish and russians
I personally think, the best place would be Northern Spain or France or Switzeland, as it would be close enough to the UK and Germany, Opens up a lot to the east, helping Turkey and baltic countries
Being in Austria dont really benefit in distance to Spain/Portugal, or even going more east.
But more importantly than arguing where it would be placed, is to also ask them to upload the servers onto newer server rigs that can take a bit moreload without making the server laggy, Ex: Em Events.

slugmaster

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought Drachs was a german shard, therefore located in Germany, I was wrong it seems, I vote for moving 1 if not both servers to Central Europe.I am from Spain and I guess it wouldnt make much of a diference to us but maybe it does since Ireland is an Island, that should affect the ping right? not only the distance, maybe I am wrong here.
I hope Mesanna gives us an answer.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have 2 European servers. Base one in western europe and the other in eastern europe. Players can play on the server they get the best ping on.

As for US players playing a european server? They are of no concern whatsoever. You dont hear any europeans asking for west coast US servers to be moved eastwards do you.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I always thought Drachs was a german shard, therefore located in Germany, I was wrong it seems, I vote for moving 1 if not both servers to Central Europe.I am from Spain and I guess it wouldnt make much of a diference to us but maybe it does since Ireland is an Island, that should affect the ping right? not only the distance, maybe I am wrong here.
I hope Mesanna gives us an answer.

Quien eres?

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Surely PRO want Drachs moved? Seeing as they immigrated to there rather than atlantic because they couldn't compete on Europa so only play dead shards now?

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Doesn't Ireland have a low corporate tax rate? If I have that right, That's probably the entire reason behind the location.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ladies and Gents - let's please try to keep the trolling and personal attacks to a minimum here.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
England is not part of EU anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so change the location!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@Mesanna
1) Article 50 has not yet been invoked. That vote could ultimately end up meaning nothing depending on how next Prime Minister handles the situation. At the time Article 50 is invoked, they will still be in the EU for two years.
2) Whether apart of the EU or not, that should have no bearing on server location. Based on last week's vote, many people clearly do not have favorable view of EU right now.
3) As already pointed out, the servers under discussion are located outside of the UK (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Article 50 has not yet been invoked. That vote could ultimately end up meaning nothing depending on how next Prime Minister handles the situation. At the time Article 50 is invoked, they will still be in the EU for two years.
Not quite true. The decision has been made by the outcome of the referendum and article 50 WILL be invoked. The next prime Ministers duty is to see it happen and push it through, and there is no scope for an about turn.

2) Whether apart of the EU or not, that should have no bearing on server location. Based on last week's vote, many people clearly do not have favorable view of EU right now.
Correct

3) As already pointed out, the servers under discussion are located outside of the UK (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
Correct.

Nice to see at least 1 American has a rudimentary grasp of European politics/Geography.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Not quite true. The decision has been made by the outcome of the referendum and article 50 WILL be invoked. The next prime Ministers duty is to see it happen and push it through, and there is no scope for an about turn.
I can only hope you're right. The American press has been reporting that the next Prime Minister can change their mind about whether to invoke Article 50 and that Nicola Sturgeon specifically is going to try to throw a wrench in the gears. I'd say just let the Scottish leave the UK already.

With Le Pen on the rise in France, Wilders still showing strong in the Netherlands, and other euroskeptics on the rise in Denmark, Sweden, Hungary and so forth... I think Brexit was only the first domino. We shall see.

Nice to see at least 1 American has a rudimentary grasp of European politics/Geography.
Political science and international relations were my majors for my first year and a half of university until I realized 1) I wasn't going to ever be able to pay back $100K+ in student loans with a political science degree; 2) I wasn't proficient enough in any foreign languages to make the 'international relations' thing really work; and 3) It was an extremely hostile environment for a right-winger like myself being on a campus that was very far to the left during the 2004 U.S. Presidential election. It was brutal.

But t digress... none of that should have bearing on placement of UO servers.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can only hope you're right. The American press has been reporting that the next Prime Minister can change their mind about whether to invoke Article 50 and that Nicola Sturgeon specifically is going to try to throw a wrench in the gears. I'd say just let the Scottish leave the UK already.
Im not sure where thats coming from but it certainly isnt the case. Its also thought that the next leader of the conservative party (and therefore prime Minister) has to be from the pro Brexit side in order to push through the changes with any conviction, with Boris Johnson who led the leave campaign the bookies favourite. Scotland voted to stay and it is thought that they (the Scottish National Party) will refuse to sign off on activating article 50 in an attempt to veto the exit, although the legal folk have said that the UK government has the power to overrule that and sign of anyway as this was a UK referendum.

Sturgeon (a horrible horrible little woman) is only manoeuvring so she can go for another Scottish referendum (which was supposedly a "once in a lifetime" opportunity). If they have one the rest of the UK should also get a vote to see if we want to keep them! They would sink without English subsidies.

With Le Pen on the rise in France, Wilders still showing strong in the Netherlands, and other euroskeptics on the rise in Denmark, Sweden, Hungary and so forth... I think Brexit was only the first domino. We shall see.
For sure. Euro scepticism is running high and this Brexit decision could tear apart the EU as other countries demand referendums. The EU was never intended to be the political superstate it has become and countries want back control of there own countries.

But yes ... we digresss and Im sure the suggestion that the EU should be a factor in the server location was a jest, albeit a poorly thought out one!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nicola Sturgeon specifically is going to try to throw a wrench in the gears. I'd say just let the Scottish leave the UK already.
They have already had a vote to leave the UK and a majority chose to stay part of the UK. During the recent EU referendum Scotland chose they wanted to remain part of the EU. Nicola Sturgeon then said she wanted call another Scottish referendum so they could remain part of the EU. This was shot down by Brussels and she was told they would have to separate from the UK, then apply to become a EU member state from scratch. LOL, man she is so annoying.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who gives a crap if it is in the EU or not, we are talking an online game here people.

Katrina Blade

Adventurer
@Lord Gandalf hell no! I live in the UK and like it just fine :p I suck at PVP so need all the advantages I can get :D

If forced, I admit gandalf probably has a point, I would love to see it centralised or split, but I suspect money has far more to do with it than common sense.

As for the UK not in the EU anymore?! WTF! UK is still in EUROPE, whether we are part of the EU or not has no impact on the geographical location *facepalm*

berkus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Germany +1
I can play only dexxer on Europe, my mages not playable. Let's see what will change.
Hello from Trofel.

Last edited:

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lots of discussion and argument and plenty of posts yet the server hasn't moved an inch and no indication that it ever will. Still there are plenty of brick walls.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Europa server should be in in Southern Europe, Off the coast of Gibraltar.... Thats why its called Europa Point!!!
Europa Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drachs should be put in my back garden, so that when I get pissed off I can pull the plug on the server and shut it down. France or Northern Spain sounds good!!

God we are making such a fuss about where some server should be, but in the UK or Ireland its deffo not the place, 1st UK in 2 years will be out of Europe which is a political choice but it will affect the game as the hosting fee services will change which means costs UO/EA/BS more cash which in turn we pay with our subs, 2nd its not central to Europe, its one of the countries most to the west, so not really fair in any sense.
Ive heard in the past that they moved there for economical reasons, which may be very true, but if you see it with techy eyes, it means its closer to the US which if they were to implement a change, it would be easier to send the info if it had to be uploaded from a US server to a EU server, as its shorter distance.
Also take into account, if the EU servers would of had a masssive amount of hispanic speakers, they would of placed the server else where, I do think they check where most connex come from and make a choice regarding the data they got. And I wont go into details why not other nationalities where picked up foe this game, just English and Japanese, if the game had been translated to more languages, maybe they would of had more servers and more people still playing the game too.

Bottom line, EU server just offset right of my bed, and Drachs as I said before in my back garden in the naughty corner with the plus easy to pull.

N Spain or Southern France best places!!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
God we are making such a fuss about where some server should be, but in the UK or Ireland its deffo not the place, 1st UK in 2 years will be out of Europe which is a political choice but it will affect the game as the hosting fee services will change which means costs UO/EA/BS more cash which in turn we pay with our subs,
LMAO 1st what are you talking about? The UK left the EU not Europe, there is no way in hell that it will ever be out of Europe, you do realize the Europe is a continent so what you going to do dig up the UK and Ireland and move them or what. Or better yet I know you're going to hook up a BIG ship and tow it away.

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Video pls
i cant remember dying once to you on europa, all u do is offscreen and run and let ur friends die behind
Lol that is simply untrue. You guys have lost every fight I've been a part of since i started playing europa over a year ago.

Here's just one example. It's not even a challenge :(

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
LMAO 1st what are you talking about? The UK left the EU not Europe, there is no way in hell that it will ever be out of Europe, you do realize the Europe is a continent so what you going to do dig up the UK and Ireland and move them or what. Or better yet I know you're going to hook up a BIG ship and tow it away.
Lol if you wanna get assy and technical its separated from Europe, its a bunch of islands not annexed to the European continent such as France, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Holand, etc.......... You might wanna check your geography here!! :p:p:p Only cause there is a treaty called EU is that Great Britain, is in the Europe, which they joined in 1973
EUROPA - EU member countries

And I made a simple mistake saying Europe instead of European Union but I think everyone else understood.... Lol
And what I meant by not having them in the UK as it wont be part of the ''EU'' is the elevated prices a server hosting can get if in 2 years, the UK goes forward with leaving the EU, cause before then nothing is going to happen.

Brexit was a referendum not a hard vote, was made to know what the people thought, it has no weigh whatsoever in the constitucional or legal, has to go through house of lords, Queen and many other bodies till the UK is full separated from the EU and still there is a directive that can stop them from leaving.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol that is simply untrue. You guys have lost every fight I've been a part of since i started playing europa over a year ago.

U just posted a video where i wasn't even in the field and where i haven't died once rofl? Is that all got?

Btw, you are clearly pinging 140 in this video!

Now please get back to the main subject of this post and move ur posts to the europa pvp forum if u got anything to say.

Thx ^^

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obviously that's Shaun's recording. Im in the video. Didnt care to watch it but I'm sure it ended with you recalling away while your guild dies, or you youtsrl dying

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

U just posted a video where i wasn't even in the field and where i haven't died once rofl? Is that all got?

Btw, you are clearly pinging 140 in this video!

Now please get back to the main subject of this post and move ur posts to the europa pvp forum if u got anything to say.

Thx ^^
Obviously that's Shaun's recording. Im in the video. Didnt care to watch it but I'm sure it ended with you recalling away while your guild dies, or you youtsrl dying
Gents - Please move the PVP smack talk to the appropriate thread.