• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Europa & Drachenfels servers location!

Belomoth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't personally have a dog in this fight, but I'll chime in with an opinion.

All servers are hosted through AWS (Amazon Web Services). They do have a data center in Frankfurt, but I could only see moving 1 of the 2 European servers there, namely Drachenfels. Why? Because in moving Europa from Ireland to Frankfurt you are only putting Iceland in the same situation countries like Turkey are in now, you're trading one having a terrible ping for another. Splitting servers across multiple hosting providers doesn't make sense either when AWS has a fairly central location available.
I dont think i ever met someone from Iceland playing uo tbh:)
anyway, its like gandalf says, the majority of all players would be affected in a good way..

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as i know the servers werent hosted from amazon before they moved to Ireland. But if any server hosting is pricely almost sililar, i dont know why they moved to Ireland. Still doent make sense to keep Drachenfels server in Ireland.

keyvan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@ziox is this true? I thought the cost of servers was quite similar?
A decent server in France wouldn't cost more than 60 $ per month....
for example with this one we could have a decent server with 1000 players online without having any lags.... Delibox.jpg

Don't tell me EA can't afford 60$ per month...

Last edited:

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Lord Gandalf

There are reasons that the price is more expensive, it is even more competitive. After I do not know if EA to exclusive agreements with some company servers.
That's why I haven't been playing for 3 months because of huge spike lags, probably a very bad routing and there is efforts on the part of the team.

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gandalf is...correct.

I'm from the UK, i wouldn't mind the server being more centralised, it's not fair that people in Europe have to play as dexxers to pvp due to having a ping of over 150.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do they have to play as dexers just because their ping is 150? You think reducing 40%s ping will suddenly make them all play mages?

I pvp on atl on a mage at 150ping and Crunch (America's Finest) is from the us and pvps on europa on mage at 170+.

Stop whining.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

keyvan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Why do they have to play as dexers just because their ping is 150? You think reducing 40%s ping will suddenly make them all play mages?

I pvp on atl on a mage at 150ping and Crunch (America's Finest) is from the us and pvps on europa on mage at 170+.

Stop whining.

You talk about something that you have no knowledge of ....
Why do you think all the e-sport tournaments such as Major League Gaming , ESL , are hosted at
Offline lans? that's because at the pro level you need the lowest latency possible to compete against your opponent in order to be a fair match..Nobody will ever accept to play an opponent with 150 ping vs 30 on any kind of games Fps , Rpg,MOBA .
You are just pissed off because you don't want to lose your advantage against other players on Europa since you live in the UK... No wonder everyone's been leaving europa with such a bad mentality as yours.
Your either a PRO or a NOOB thats life @Lord Gandalf ;)

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im pretty confident that my 40 Ping doesn't compare to that of other players I can regularly destroy in PvP. There isn't a player on Europa who can hold their own vs me outside of my guild. Gandalf claims to ping badly as does the Russians yet most of them are the fastest players on the shard.

My only advantage over my competitors I have on Europa is that im smarter and better at the game than they are. That said, i've played it twice as long as most people on Europa so i'd expect to be that much better than you are.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im pretty confident that my 40 Ping doesn't compare to that of other players I can regularly destroy in PvP. There isn't a player on Europa who can hold their own vs me outside of my guild. Gandalf claims to ping badly as does the Russians yet most of them are the fastest players on the shard.

My only advantage over my competitors I have on Europa is that im smarter and better at the game than they are. That said, i've played it twice as long as most people on Europa so i'd expect to be that much better than you are.
Then what's the problem in moving the server more centralized?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
A decent server in France wouldn't cost more than 60 $ per month....
for example with this one we could have a decent server with 1000 players online without having any lags.... View attachment 45969

Don't tell me EA can't afford 60$ per month...
You can't in all honesty say that it wouldn't have any lag. Since none of us have a copy of the actual data on performance. I'd also be wary of that 300 MBit pipe on that server, 1 gigabit or better is the way to go and honestly just as affordable these days.

But in the end, I get why they are using AWS for their hosting, it scales based on need not only server resources, but cost as well. So a server with an average of 50 active players at any given time costs them less to run than a server with 1000.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then what's the problem in moving the server more centralized?
Whats the problem with it staying where it is? I already said I and others PvP on other shards with a ping disadvantage and manage fine on multiple templates? Why can't the complaining players just deal with it like we have to? Atlantic is the "Main" US Shard, you don't see anyone asking for it to be centralised so the US playerbase can have a more evenly spread ping.

Isn't Drach supposed to be the more Europe based shard? Its not in Ireland iirc? Go play Drachs?[It'd suit the complainers pvp skill level much more too and they wouldn't have any excuses, which im sure they want]

Again though, we need to understand this, all the people i've seen confirm this is the case are mostly the fastest players on Europa, its common knowledge Gandalf is literally the fastest player on Europa. Second is Hsai or Redmen. I'd say they're all pretty close in speed, all use EC, except, Gandalf = Lebanon, Redmen = Russia and Hsai(the slowest of the 3 id say, despite a ridiculous PC and EC) = England.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whats the problem with it staying where it is? I already said I and others PvP on other shards with a ping disadvantage and manage fine on multiple templates? Why can't the complaining players just deal with it like we have to? Atlantic is the "Main" US Shard, you don't see anyone asking for it to be centralised so the US playerbase can have a more evenly spread ping.

Isn't Drach supposed to be the more Europe based shard? Its not in Ireland iirc? Go play Drachs?[It'd suit the complainers pvp skill level much more too and they wouldn't have any excuses, which im sure they want]

Again though, we need to understand this, all the people i've seen confirm this is the case are mostly the fastest players on Europa, its common knowledge Gandalf is literally the fastest player on Europa. Second is Hsai or Redmen. I'd say they're all pretty close in speed, all use EC, except, Gandalf = Lebanon, Redmen = Russia and Hsai(the slowest of the 3 id say, despite a ridiculous PC and EC) = England.
The drachs server is now located in Ireland also (the same location as Europa), this is why everyone hasn't moved to drachs.

PwnySlaystation please can you state your opposition to the proposed move. (if any)

Lord Trollo

Adventurer
germany has the best beer in europe but ireland has the best whiskey.

given the above data this truly is a difficult argument to pick a side on.

i would leave europa where its at and move drach over to germany. this way everyone will continue to complain the same amount they are now, however there will be equal representation of alcohol for both servers. this is the only logical answer to solving this dilemma.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What surprises me about this, Lebanon, and the majority of Russia aren't even in Europe. Then again Europe isn't really that large, as far as Continents go, it's roughly the size of Canada, which puzzles me as to why people are having such horrible ping times. When you think about it, nothing in Europe is really that far apart.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
germany has the best beer in europe but ireland has the best whiskey.
given the above data this truly is a difficult argument to pick a side on.
i would leave europa where its at and move drach over to germany. this way everyone will continue to complain the same amount they are now, however there will be equal representation of alcohol for both servers. this is the only logical answer to solving this dilemma.
If you're going to decide Europa's location based on the quality of Whiskey, they'd have to move it to the US.

Last edited:

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well alot of people seem to have a problem to compete with the ping disadvantage, you dont. Server being more centralized = less ping disadvantages. So the only logic way would be moving the servers more to central Europe.

Drachs had and still has a majority of german population. And I play Drachenfels. [Just cause you were talking about pvp skill level of Drachs, I was told from someone that came to Drachenfels from Europa that you can be dismounted 1 vs 5 on Europa and dont move and still survive :thumbsup:. You wouldnt survive that here :p]

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder how can some UK players complain so much about this post when they pretend to pvp so well on US servers. Your just giving us a better reason to move the server towards the center of europe with ur empty arguments.

This post concerns people who constantly had high ping for years (with no ISP problems) just because of the geographical position of their country to Europa server, and those who might have ping problems upon moving the server to the center of europe only.

Lord Trollo

Adventurer
If you're going to decide Europa's location based on the quality of Whiskey, they'd have to move it to the US.

i said "in europe."

it goes without saying that US whiskey reigns supreme. if you are going to make obvious statements like that and/or make this thread about whiskey videos from youtube, then i suggest you change your user-name to Captain Obvious and start another thread in the off-topic forum.

thank you

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No ISP problems? I dont see how your ISP isn't a factor? I used to ping 12 pre aos on ISDN which was what 500kbps? i currently have 200meg and ping 40. ISP has to be a factor?

Of course this effects me... by moving the server to the centre of Europe i then have to endure a worse ping. Why are any of you more important than the people who live near its current location? If you centralised it... someone will get shafted and someone else will benefit from it. In which case it should just be left alone as there is no solution that makes everyone happy.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id like to point out... im in England and i ping 40. My guild mate Baggi is in Denmark and pings 9. Please explain as last time i checked Ireland was further from him than me?

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So whats the point is having 2 servers in the exact same location anyway? Id love to get a straight answer for that from the dev team. @Kyronix

No wonder why the game called "League of legends" have 4 servers in 4 different locations (Russia, Turkey, EU Nordic and East, EU West).

...while we decide to stick to one location on 2 servers.

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No ISP problems? I dont see how your ISP isn't a factor? I used to ping 12 pre aos on ISDN which was what 500kbps? i currently have 200meg and ping 40. ISP has to be a factor?

Of course this effects me... by moving the server to the centre of Europe i then have to endure a worse ping. Why are any of you more important than the people who live near its current location? If you centralised it... someone will get shafted and someone else will benefit from it. In which case it should just be left alone as there is no solution that makes everyone happy.

So, your reason for not wanting to move the server is because although it will benefit most people, you personally would lose out?

Please Clap

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most people as in the group complaining about it on this thread... what about the masses of players that are not on stratics? And are the people complaining not doing exactly the same as that anyway? Why is it alright for everyone else to complain about losing out but not me?

keyvan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Most people as in the group complaining about it on this thread... what about the masses of players that are not on stratics? And are the people complaining not doing exactly the same as that anyway? Why is it alright for everyone else to complain about losing out but not me?

"what about the masses of players that are not on stratics."
Mother of flower !I did not know Europa had more than 100 players ....

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"what about the masses of players that are not on stratics."
Mother of flower !I did not know Europa had more than 100 players ....
What does it matter? Theres more than enough players that would be against a server move that easily outweighs the 10 or so here that are for one.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what about the "masses" that dont post on stratics and would be for a server move. They would outweigh your players against a move.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Could we see the traceroute from Germany to Ireland where the big hoop of +50-60 ms is located? Im playing from Sweden and I have the same ping now as I've had the last 10 years to the servers in Europe.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great Europa General Chat finally arrived at stratics.....
Demonstrating why I, as a Europa player only use the Help channel. It is also interesting that last Tuesday the OP put up the same thread on the Europa forum asking for feedback about it. Now with his estimate that 90% of Europa players are in favour I wonder why the total number of interested parties replying is hmmm, let me see, er, Oh yes! NONE.

Zappy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'd like to chime in with a response to these points.

- He said 9, but I won't split hairs. I'm pretty sure if you're that hung up on it, Baggi can take a screenshot for you. Might be wise to have evidence to disprove the claim before you insult someone you know nothing about.

- I ping 12ms regularly, and I have multiple videos of you outrunning me in a straight line. Granted, this is probably a benefit of EC that outweighs the absolutely horrible graphics, but the point still remains that you are indeed faster than a player based in London with a pretty upmarket PC and a consistent ISP.

- He didn't generalize, he pointed out that there are people who either don't read this forum or can't be bothered to take the time to refute claims you've made when we all know you are impervious to logic.

- We're all guilty of a little trash talk now and again, you included. Get down off that high horse buddy.

To finish, I'd like to say that when I was in PRO+, (Thank god that ordeal's over) I heard you complain about lag maybe once or twice. This during a span of about 4 or 5 months. During that time you played your Hyperion character mostly, and seemed to do fine. When Holy Fist emerged as an overpowered skill, you weren't complaining about ping, but now that it's been (slightly) nerfed, you're suddenly up in arms about server locations and what not. Suspicious.

/end rant.

Zap.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to chime in with a response to these points.

- He said 9, but I won't split hairs. I'm pretty sure if you're that hung up on it, Baggi can take a screenshot for you. Might be wise to have evidence to disprove the claim before you insult someone you know nothing about.

- I ping 12ms regularly, and I have multiple videos of you outrunning me in a straight line. Granted, this is probably a benefit of EC that outweighs the absolutely horrible graphics, but the point still remains that you are indeed faster than a player based in London with a pretty upmarket PC and a consistent ISP.

- He didn't generalize, he pointed out that there are people who either don't read this forum or can't be bothered to take the time to refute claims you've made when we all know you are impervious to logic.

- We're all guilty of a little trash talk now and again, you included. Get down off that high horse buddy.

To finish, I'd like to say that when I was in PRO+, (Thank god that ordeal's over) I heard you complain about lag maybe once or twice. This during a span of about 4 or 5 months. During that time you played your Hyperion character mostly, and seemed to do fine. When Holy Fist emerged as an overpowered skill, you weren't complaining about ping, but now that it's been (slightly) nerfed, you're suddenly up in arms about server locations and what not. Suspicious.

/end rant.

Zap.
User1 (on EC) pinging 120 can potentially outrun User2 (on 2d) pinging 10 while running over gravestones, as movement redirection comes in his favor as well.

But am i obliged to play on EC client to deal with the lag? Mmmm

Anyways, now stop wasting my time with the second part of ur post (i know ur all pissed coz i posted that video wrecking u all :D), and focus on finding a good argument why drach and europa should stay in the same location.

Thank you

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see what the OP's specific ping has to do with the thread. He wants to move the server to central Europe to benefit the majority of players on Europa. I ping 20ms, i also cannot keep up with the OP as he uses EC, this is a separate issue to the thread.

Zappy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I don't see what the OP's specific ping has to do with the thread. He wants to move the server to central Europe to benefit the majority of players on Europa. I ping 20ms, i also cannot keep up with the OP as he uses EC, this is a separate issue to the thread.
None of us are naive Mervyn. If there's any altruistic motive to Gandalf's request, it is purely by accident I assure you.

There are dozens of English (and indeed, other European) players who haven't given their two cents because there is no problem. You're not addressing an issue, you're creating one to engineer a beneficial (to you) outcome.

Zappy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
User1 (on EC) pinging 120 can potentially outrun User2 (on 2d) pinging 10 while running over gravestones, as movement redirection comes in his favor as well.

But am i obliged to play on EC client to deal with the lag? Mmmm

Anyways, now stop wasting my time with the second part of ur post (i know ur all pissed coz i posted that video wrecking u all :D), and focus on finding a good argument why drach and europa should stay in the same location.

Thank you
We don't have to come up with an argument against moving, that's proving a negative which is impossible. Since you posted the request, you're the one who's obliged to persuade us. You've failed in that regard.

Half of PRO+ play once a month, 49% of the rest spend the majority of their time in Shadow-guard or other PvM encounters. What will happen if the server moves, guaranteed, is the foreign contingent will come to Yew gate once, get killed whilst outnumbering us and then go back to PvM. It won't be because of ping, it will be because of some new/old excuse and Mervyn will be the next to post a topic here with one of his ridiculous whinges about Spirituality or Speedhaxxorz or the fact that dying your armour vibrant crimson gives you extra feckin' SDI. Stop wasting everyone's time.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't grasp the idea that I wouldn't mind having a slightly higher ping if it means that the russians etc could better compete with us in the uk?

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have removed several posts from this thread that have veered off topic. Please keep all comments and opinions regarding this topic neutral, and avoid attacking and provoking each other. Thanks!

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your ping is not excessive. 110 + wtfast will put you at around 50ping. + EC. You are plenty fast enough.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't grasp the idea that I wouldn't mind having a slightly higher ping if it means that the russians etc could better compete with us in the uk?
I don't understand this post... the Russians do just fine. Theres plenty of them and they're fast. We definitely consider them much more competitive than PRO guild(Who are mostly UK BASED)... is that ping or are they better?

Marlboro_78rus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm living in St.Petersburg, Russia, my ping is about 55-65, my friends are mostly from Moscow their ping usually 85-100+.
Guy's from the middle of Russia, or even from the far east have just awful ping - 200+
WTFast doesn't improve your connection speed, but it improve packet lost.
Kieb from 40% playing from Kiev, Ukraine, his ping better than My. He has about 50 ping.
I think that Moving physical location to Germany makes ping more equal for most european and russian players.

Отправлено с моего GT-N7100 через Tapatalk