EquipLastWeapon

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
C

Connor_Graham

Were you planning on braining someone with your spellbook?

C

Connor_Graham

Braining. Ya know, beating someone over the head until their brains spill out?

Spellbooks aren't technically weapons, they're just repositories of spells to be read aloud.

Once I figure out how my mage is actually reading HIS spellbook when it's in his backpack I'll let ya know....

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 4, 2008
The United States of America
Braining. Ya know, beating someone over the head until their brains spill out?

Spellbooks aren't technically weapons, they're just repositories of spells to be read aloud.

Once I figure out how my mage is actually reading HIS spellbook when it's in his backpack I'll let ya know....
you have to equip spellbooks to get the benefit of the mods.

also equiplastweapon just does a quick switch between 2 weapons. why shouldn't we be able to quick switch between 2 spellbooks or from a spellbook to a weapon?

i don't think your explanation is any good. i think you just made it up out of nowhere. i want pvp'er opinions from a game balance perspective.

P

packrat

Using uo assist it works for me. i can equip spellbooks and weapons using the arm macro..

N

Ni-

also equiplastweapon just does a quick switch between 2 weapons. why shouldn't we be able to quick switch between 2 spellbooks or from a spellbook to a weapon?

i don't think your explanation is any good. i think you just made it up out of nowhere. i want pvp'er opinions from a game balance perspective.
I think that'll work in KR, so I assume you play 2D. I guess I have never used the LastWeapon macro. Try the Equip right/left hand macro?

R

Revenant2

I know what the original poster is talking about and I agree that it should work the way he wishes it did.

The EquipLastWeapon in the UO client lets you insta-switch between two weapons. On a dexer, you would use it to rapidly toggle between two of your favorite weapons.

On the mage side of things though, you can be holding a mage weapon and then want to switch to your SDI scrapper in that same kind of way, but EquipLastWeapon doesn't recognize the scrapper as a 'weapon'. So you have to do an unequip of the mage weapon and an equip of the book, which is not the same, one-key operation of EquipLastWeapon.

It would be nice if it worked for the mage's spellbooks too, but one can't know what barriers in the code might exist to making this work. hm.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 23, 2008
I agree with this. Maybe changing it to equipLastObject or something. I'd also like the equipLastWeapon macro to not get completely screwed up by the disarm special. I have my two weapons I'm switching between, someone disarms me, and suddenly I can switch between nothing and the weapon I was using before disarmed. I understand that the macro is working as advertised (equipLastWeapon), but it really is frustrating. I suppose I could use UOAssist or KR for this, but for something this basic, I'd rather just play as I've always played.

C

Connor_Graham

Yeah? The same can be said of any item that you equip. You have to equip a quiver to benefit from the mods, but you're not attacking anyone with it.

Because spellbooks aren't weapons. The spells that are cast from them are what is considered to be the weapon. Should they be considered a weapon? Well, that's a different discussion.

Yeah, I just pulled it out of my arse for no reason. :coco:

Just because you didn't happen to like the answer doesn't mean it's any less true. Spellbooks aren't considered to be weapons by UO coding, and unless they change the coding of the game, it won't be. Also, it doesn't matter if a PvP'r or a PvM'r tells you any different, the game is not coded for a spellbook to be a weapon. That doesn't mean that you can't set up macros in UOA to be able to equip it as such. It just means that the UO macros can't do it because they don't recognize it as such.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 4, 2008
Just because you didn't happen to like the answer doesn't mean it's any less true.
you are basing your whole argument on what some programmer typed in as the name of the macro.

you can do spellbook swapping in KR anyway, so i'm not sure why you are so heated about this. it just needs to be fixed in 2D. it is a bug not a political issue.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
illandril.net
you are basing your whole argument on what some programmer typed in as the name of the macro.

you can do spellbook swapping in KR anyway, so i'm not sure why you are so heated about this. it just needs to be fixed in 2D. it is a bug not a political issue.
Just call it a design flaw so you two can stop fighting.

And make sure you bug report it if you haven't already.

C

Connor_Graham

i'm not sure why you are so heated about this.
Seems you're the one that's heated about it, saying I just made it up.

If you think it's a bug then report it. If you think it's a programming issue, then ask for the Devs to change it. Simple. :next:

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008

/sign

K

Kensai Tsunami

a spell book is not a weapon.

...its an object.
as in 'use last object'

:next:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Britain Felucca West Crossroads
www.uoguide.com
I asked this question the moment that it was found out that spellbooks did not work. There was actually a very good technical answer which I can't recall exactly right now. I think it had to do with not being able to disarm players holding spellbooks. There is a reason and it is not a bug or oversight.

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
While I would love the feature to be added to allow us to swap spellbooks (have posted back in the days of the idea forum) I do have to agree that spellbooks are considered and object and not a weapon BUT why did the devs code the spellbooks to have the same special moves as a macing weapon (kinda makes sense since we would be bashing them over the head with a book) never tried on test shard or taken tactics high enough on a mage to try the special moves to see if they would work but did notice the specials did change from being empty handed to holding a spellbook, so go figure hehe

:danceb:

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 4, 2008
http://www.uo.com/fof/fiveonfriday127.html

Making the "weapon switch" macro work with spellbooks
Thank you.

What's To Come:

Publish 56 schedule update - at this point we're looking to get it on Test Center in two weeks (the week of the 13th) in order to give QA a fair shot at it. It'll sit on TC for a week or so, then Origin, then live - the usual pattern. We know this is an unusually long wait for this event, but it's complex and involves quite a few systems, so we're spending as much time as it takes to make it work.
Good idea.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
Forget not the arm/disarm left and arm/disarm right macro. And it is a UO macro.

T

T_Amon_from_work

funny thing ... UO Assist DOES allow it to be equipped as a weapon. I tried it on my mage. <shakes head> Didn't expect it to work, but it did.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nov 1, 2003
Lake Superior
Were you planning on braining someone with your spellbook?

This post comes from the ability to "disarm" a spell book. If it is disarmed like a weapon then the OP wants to know why it cant be re-equipped as a weapon can.

IMO the devs didnt think the change through.

Maybe the OP should be a tamer instead...

A

Arch Magus

IMO the devs didnt think the change through.
This pretty much sums it up. They made the 'brilliant' change to make spellbooks dis-armable (I suppose they thought dexxers weren't powerful enough? :bowdown: rofl) and then they didn't even have the common sense to make them re-armable using macros.

I don't see why anyone's surprised to tell you the truth.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
They are making this happen in the next publish and really it's about time.

The biggest thing about this change for me is the ability to swap slayer spellbooks between rooms in the gauntlet without stopping to drag the books between each room.

It all comes down to convenience and making things in the game easier to manage.