• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] enhancing

J

[JD]

Hi, so I'm trying to find more on enhancing and didn't want to derail connor's thread.

I found this great link:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/enhancing.shtml

But it doesn't tell you HOW to enhance an item. Do I use my sewing kit to enhance regular leather with spined? What exactly, is the enhancing process.

Also is there any reason to ever enhance with barbed? You get the higher material resists when you craft with it right? I'm left scratching my head... thanks

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
to enhance (example tailoring) click on regular sewing kit then in menu select the material you want to enhance with (default is leather I think) then make sure you have that leather type in pack and click on the enhance button in the tailor menu! then just target the item to enhance it will either be destryed,enhanced ,or fail in which case you may try again!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
as to why enhance with the other types its for different resist spreads and or luck and durability!

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to forget that you can try to enhance looted items. (It was fairly popular before runic changes to destroy 90+ luck items by trying to enhance them with spined leather.)
And for todays crafters: If you want to get maximum (resist) results from imbuing, ppl imbue first and enhance their pieces afterwards. (But with the risk of destroying them, what can add up really fast tu huge sums. Especially course you usually use powders to increase on durability befor imbuing on premium items.)
Additionally that pages lack the enhancing bonus that gargoyle imbuer are getting from imbuing at GM or higher. (If I remeber right it is 1%/2%/3% success bonus for GM/Elder/Legend Imbuer.)

J

[JD]

so what is the difference if i have a gm arms lore and they tailor an exceptional barbed piece, vs the same toon crafting an exceptional regular leather piece and then enhancing it with barbed? wouldn't the end result be the same, only there is a chance of breaking on the enhance?

also how would the resists differ if i imbue first and then enhance with barbed, vs just crafting with barbed to begin with?

thanks

G

Gowron

so what is the difference if i have a gm arms lore and they tailor an exceptional barbed piece, vs the same toon crafting an exceptional regular leather piece and then enhancing it with barbed? wouldn't the end result be the same, only there is a chance of breaking on the enhance?

also how would the resists differ if i imbue first and then enhance with barbed, vs just crafting with barbed to begin with?

thanks
As I don't have a full on tailor yet, I'll speculate that crafting with the materials still yields slightly over base with a minor mod. However, if you craft, then imbue, then enhance, you get a bigger buff, yet it comes with the risk of destruction...

On a side note, since colored ingots can now be imbued, would it make sense to enhance first and then imbue?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I THINK that when you imbue, it goes by the item's base resists (not total with other properties), so you are able to get much higher resists through enhancement after imbuing - if the item survives. I'm still not high enough level to actually work on stuff that matters.

If you can craft the properties you want (so as to not use relics or rare stuff), then imbue the cheaper items (concentrating on the resists that your material raises the least), it might be better off to go with the base material, make a few items, then enhance them till you succeed.

J

[JD]

ok what the..!

im fooling around a bit tonight and decide to craft some exceptional barbed pieces.. here's the leather in my pack and the sewing kits and i'm informed i don't have leather. huh??

it seems my only route to obtain barbed items is to enhance. i thought i could just craft out of barbed.

Attachments

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to click on the arrow in front of the "leather/hides" and then select "barbed leather" as material.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is somewhat easier to explain with luck. Spined leather comes with 40 luck bonus. If you craft an item out of spined, it gets 40 luck applied. If you want to imbue luck, 100 is maximum. So you can get a spined armour aprt and imbue 100 luck onto it. It already came with 40 luck, but thats not of interest for imbuing. Base luck is 0 and a max imbue adds 100 luck to it. So you end up with a spined piece with 100 luck.
If you imbue first, you stillc an only add up to 100 luck. If you do so and enhance afterwards with spined luck ist going up to 140 ... if your item suvives the enhancement process.
Same rule applies to resists (bonus resists from beeing exceptional, arms lore and special material used on crafting).