• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Enhanced Client Problem - Win7 64bit[Resolved]

V

Vynlark

Hello all, let me first apologize for the creation of this thread as I'm sure others have been made with a similar or the same problem I'm experiencing. First off, here are my computer specs:

ASUS M3N78-EM Mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.60ghz 64bit
8gig Mushkin XP Series DDR2-1066 (XP2-8500)
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT OC PCI-EXPRESS x16
Seagate 500gig Internal SATA HDD
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Comcast Cable / Linksys Router WRT54G

I have both the Stygian Abyss Enhanced & Classic client installed. I am able to connect fine w/o issue using the Classic client. When I attempt to login using the Enhanced client - I type in my login/pass, click the login button and the top left corner (window bar) will change text to read:
but then it just sits there and never logs in nor does the screen change in anyway. Both clients patch fine, Enchanced client current build is 4.0.6.4 according to the lower right-hand corner of the login screen.

I have scoured most of the forums here and at UOForums for a solution but no luck. Here is what I have attempted:

Uninstalling & Reinstalling the Enhanced client as administator.
Running the Enchanced Client and the UOPatch under Administrator and in WinXP SP3 Compatibility mode.
Uninstalling Forceware Nvidia Network Manager.
Windows Firewall OFF & Added The .exe's to exceptions list.
Added appropriate ports for UO to my Linksys router.
I have no 3rd party firewall software installed or anti-virus that may be causing a problem.

I've sent a support ticket to EA through their Support page, I got a response back but the representative wanted me to submit a screen shot of the error message. I did send a screen shot back but explained there is no error message. I've yet to hear anything back since.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. I'm next going to attempt to install the Enhanced client on my laptop which is running Windows Vista 64bit to see if I can login.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't heard of anybody have that particular problem.

Kind of sounds like the display just isn't re-drawing after you log in... have you tried updating your video card drivers and directx?

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's annoying, but I have found that running SA, even when the exe's have admin rights, still results in this. Compatibility mode didn't help, either. I just right click the icon, and run as admin. Far less frustrating that way, even with the extra mouse click.

V

Vynlark

* Minor Update *

Thanks to the responses back so far.

I'm able to login and play fine using the Classic client.

I downloaded the latest directx runtime package, installed, no luck. I'm also running the latest Nvidia driver set for my graphics card. I've also tried right clicking and running as administrator with same end result, on both the UOPatch.exe and UOSA.exe.

I feel the same way, it's like it doesn't want to refresh or draw the next screen which would be the server listing. I installed the Enhanced client on my laptop which is running Windows Vista 64bit and logged in fine and ran with no problems.

* Also, I submitted the screen shot to EA support and updated with the other solutions I've tried and also mentioned that I'm able to login fine with the Classic client and they replied back stating they are happy I'm able to play fine with the classic client and for any problems with the Enhanced client they then referred me to the FAQ, which was of little help. Understandable though.

V

ValiantW

I am having the exact same problem on Win7 64bit, was working fine before I upgraded my OS from vista 64 to win7 64 the other night. Everything is updated and running as administrator or setting it to compatibility mode doesnt help either.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's strange indeed.
One thing you could try, although silly, would be to try in XP Mode. You download it from Microsoft. Silly, but just an option to try.

S

Spankyjnco

ever figure a solution to this? Im still having problems.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check your CPU options in BIOS.
Try to set affinity for process to single core (use task manager).

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
after a hard drive crash, i upgraded to windows 7 professional 64 bit.
I am now among the prestige "cannot play UO anymore" crowd

:(

this sucks...
maybe i'll bring my giant desktop to fairfax with me and give it to supreme

edit, i'm having the exact problem as the original poster.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
as I posted in the Uhall thread

ISSUE RESOLVED:
if anyone is playing this game and having this problem this may be why.
You may have a motherboard with an Nvidia chipset. If you do, try to locate under add remove programs/drivers
Nvidia ForceWare Network Access Manager
Uninstall this and reboot.
It's semi-hardware based (implemented inside the chipset) so it has some advantages over a software firewall. however, having multiple firewalls can sometimes cause problems.
This solutions works 100% for me. I hope it helps you all and that this gives EA a bit of insight.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
great news :) Thanks for posting the fix