• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Endless decanter of water

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went out and got a couple of them. To get them I suggest you get more than 20 full pitchers of water and then you find a water elemental and double click the full pitcher of water and target the water elemental. Try not to kill them. I didn't notice but I went with my warrior and he was holding a elemental slayer weapon which would kill them in two hits. The first couple elementals I go nothing from because a guy came and killed one for me figuring I was having problems with the elemental cause I was running away. The next one I killed because I ran out of water pitchers (only took 20). Off to buy some more pitchers and back to throw them and got one fairly quickly with the next elemental I saw. It seems you can only get one pitcher from one water elemental so I killed that one and tried another and got another pitcher.

The pitchers come with 40 uses and they need to be linked to a water trough to be endless. You single click on the water pitcher and a single word menu "link" comes up so you click on link then target the trough and then it should work if you are close enough to the trough. Haven't tried this yet but just thought I would tell you all so you don't have to figure it out yourself.

J

Just Emma

I used my decanter this morning to make dough, and discovered that it is not "endless"... after going through about five bags of flour it ran out of water and I had to manually refill it again (and yes, I had linked it to my house water trough and was standing right next to the trough when the decanter went "empty"). I have to wonder if anyone else is having this problem.

J

Just Emma

I didn't actually count the individual uses, but I repeated the dough-making and the same thing happened, so it looks like I may be getting 100 uses out of a refill... I will test again when I get back in game today.

J

Just Emma

Re: Endless decanter of water (revisited)

How many uses did you get out of the refill, Emma?
Ok.... I just finished testing it. This time I counted each use from the point of the last refill. I was able to get exactly 80 uses before the decanter went empty.

Kelline

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sounds like it might be link but only refils sometimes :( as its supost to have 40 fills just like the water pitcher

so far ive had no probs with plants, but ill c tonight when i do my plants again

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once it is linked it says so when you click on it and it empties out till it's completely emptied and then you get a message that it has been automatically refilled and it is full again. Once it is linked when you click on it there is a two word menu "link" or "unlink".

J

Just Emma

Once it is linked it says so when you click on it and it empties out till it's completely emptied and then you get a message that it has been automatically refilled and it is full again. Once it is linked when you click on it there is a two word menu "link" or "unlink".
Mine is indeed linked. Yet I haven't received any message that it has been automatically refilled. It is just empty and must be manually refilled. Perhaps it's just my luck to have a bugged decanter. Not the end of the world, certainly, but disappointing since I was looking forward to being able to use my chef and grow plants with a bit more convenience.

Update: I just retested again. At no time do I receive a refill message, and it still goes empty after 80 uses. Also, even though the decanter is linked, both options - "link" and "unlink" - show up when I click the decanter. I decided not to waste time waiting for a GM. (Yesterday I filed a bug report.)

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just Emma,

How dare you use a water pitcher for something other than plants. Don't you know this was only tested in the plant system. No dough making...no aquarium filling...what do you think that an item would be fully tested in all systems it could apply to?

(In case you missed it that is sarcasm above) hope you just got a bugged one and your next one works properly for all systems a water pitcher can be used in.

T

Trebr Drab

Are regular water pitchers supposed to have 40 uses now? Mine do, and same for those acquired by begging.

J

Just Emma

Just Emma,

How dare you use a water pitcher for something other than plants. Don't you know this was only tested in the plant system. No dough making...no aquarium filling...what do you think that an item would be fully tested in all systems it could apply to?

(In case you missed it that is sarcasm above) hope you just got a bugged one and your next one works properly for all systems a water pitcher can be used in.
LOL! Guess I'll be looking for another water elemental soon, to see if I can exchange the defective item for one that works. It feels kinda like shopping for a cell phone... I've had the worst luck lately with certain purchases! :)

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When beyond the linked distance you get a message that your pitcher failed to refill because you are too far away or something like that. If you go back and click on the pitcher then it will refill again.

J

Just Emma

When beyond the linked distance you get a message that your pitcher failed to refill because you are too far away or something like that. If you go back and click on the pitcher then it will refill again.
That's good to know. But I guess I'm just permanently bugged. I've never been more than a couple of steps away from the water trough, and don't receive any messages at all about refilling or failing to refill. That's ok, though... I always need an excuse to get out of the house, and chasing water elementals is good exercise. :)

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's good to know. But I guess I'm just permanently bugged. I've never been more than a couple of steps away from the water trough, and don't receive any messages at all about refilling or failing to refill. That's ok, though... I always need an excuse to get out of the house, and chasing water elementals is good exercise. :)
Did you try unlinking and relinking?

J

Just Emma

Did you try unlinking and relinking?
Yes. Didn't make any difference. It's ok... this weekend I'll spend some time annoying the water elementals again. :)

Now that I have all the decanters I need, I can cease annoying water elementals. And yes, the decanters work fine if all you're doing is tending plants. I guess the devs weren't thinking about the chefs.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not just Emma... mine doesn't refill when I'm in my house, even though I've linked and unlinked it to a water trough too. I'm just using it for plants too... most frustrating!

J

Just Emma

I filled a bug report on it, Adol... but knowing that this would be considered a low priority issue by most, I've decided not to hold my breath waiting for a fix. I think our chefs had best get used to more frequent refills or be content to use more than one pitcher. :sad3:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought at first my issue would be with having other pitchers (non-Eternal) in the bag, or possibly that the endless pitcher was in a sub-bag, but neither of these have proven to be the case. The only thing I can think of now is that my own trough is on a part of the building that can only be reached by a teleporter...

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have heard the endless decanters now work with cooking. When I first got mine I checked it out by drinking from it repeatedly and it works fine if you are thirsty :) I planted a batch of seeds to check it out further. It's cool! Now I want an endless potion container
:gee:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got a question too. Did you check if you replaced the water trough ? Something might be up wit the trough being soo old?? its an idea ...

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mine is still not working... it still runs out after around 40 uses watering plants from inside the gardening gump. The Trough is brand new, as I replaced it when I moved house after the patch and the Decanter both were in my possession. I've also had problems with poison potions not counting occasionally with my plants too... it seems I've broken it all :p

Y

Yalp

I am just kinda shaking my head.. an item which wasn't broken (endless water pitchers) gets boffed because some chuckleberry decides that griefing people with water barrels is fun and exciting.... so the reaction of the producers is to eliminate the code which was useful and institute a new system which is bugged, and far less efficient.

Wouldn't just eliminating the code for water barrels have been far better, more efficient, and simplest solution?

TheVampster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still lost on getting one. Do you keep throwing them at the Water Ellies until one doesn't break?

Or do you just kill it and loot it after it breaks on them?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm still lost on getting one. Do you keep throwing them at the Water Ellies until one doesn't break?

Or do you just kill it and loot it after it breaks on them?
Double-click on the pitcher and target the water elemental. When you are successful, the water elemental will toss back an endless decanter (that will land in your backpack).