• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

End of expansions?

wishdragon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Think we will ever get any new expansions/booster packs/major content updates as we regularly had in the past, not including events, or do folks feel UO in its current state pretty much what we will have till they close the doors?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think they are done with expansions

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There is alot of unused land in Eodon. I think next 'expansion' would be for them to open some of it up and add content there.

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I think the reasoning behind this and focusing on NL is expansions only serve to water down existing game play. To draw people in you need new stealables, craftables, resources and so on. Combat focused players will want new, meta changing itemization. Between a decade + of drops, items only leaving the system through mistakes and power creep we're full in into Monty Haulism.

For those that participate, NL should be a consolidation of players, reduction in dimensions and with a definitive end set each season a far more stable economy. Just a thought.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NL would give them the ability to develop a section of unused land for a quest. Then gauge the popularity without it being permanent if not popular.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some people have zero interest in a seasonal shard
If there's one thing the UO decision makers have excelled at over the many years of being around, is subscription money has been wasted time and time again, on projects (often large, expensive ones) no one wanted, or asked for.
Is it any wonder so many people play on free shards these days? There's a whole bunch of them that have a ton of features requested of the official game, that were ignored but they can now get for free.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Some people have zero interest in a seasonal shard and have suffered through the NL farce I still wonder how will NL success be measured because I can't see any decent returns on the Time spent on it
I think you'll be surprised. To me it sounds like basically a long EM Event where they can be uniform and everyone can get the same experience rather than each individual shard getting their own unique thing. And then you'll be able to bring a character/token back. I think those tokens will be just as valuable to players as other collectables. Also, because it's going to be on a single server, they could give EMs more tools to do events. It's easier to police as well. But that's just me speculating.

I'm looking forward to it. I don't necessarily like seasonal content in other games, but I think UO has been going on so long that seasonal content sounds not only feasible, but desirable. It just depends on implementation.

If it's just a new season rollover with no significant changes, that would feel pointless and I'd agree with you. However, if there are significant changes, subjectively, it like will attract current players. As far as pulling in higher player counts and returning players, I think that's a metric you all are setting up just to prove a point in the future. Does Broadsword even think it will make a significant gain? I don't think so. They probably expect some people to return and some word of mouth gains.

It could also just be a partial passion project thing where they are just genuinely trying to move the game into something manageable and fun.

wishdragon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
New Legacy doesn’t move the needle at all for me, no interest what so ever.

I’d be extremely excited about a new expansion, the period of time there was a new expansion every couple of years was awesome, even though I can’t say I loved all of the changes that came with some of the expansions.

I’d also be cool with something the level of high seas, that brought some new interesting content and game play.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We are on the slippery slope downhill with this game. Get over it. Find something else to do.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think the reasoning behind this and focusing on NL is expansions only serve to water down existing game play. To draw people in you need new stealables, craftables, resources and so on. Combat focused players will want new, meta changing itemization. Between a decade + of drops, items only leaving the system through mistakes and power creep we're full in into Monty Haulism.

For those that participate, NL should be a consolidation of players, reduction in dimensions and with a definitive end set each season a far more stable economy. Just a thought.
I agree on the first part that adding another expansion would likely only take away from existing game play; ie people would potentially flock to the new area/expansion while leaving something like Eodon/Ter Mur empty.

That said, I feel like that's sort of what NL is going to do as well. If anything it's even more of a water down to Prod shards because NL will have people playing on a completely different shard (compared to ppl playing the same shard just different area).

I'd agree with Merlin that I think the best "fix" would be to use what we currently have which is some un-used spots in places like Eodon but also revisit existing/old content and update it. One of the best examples would be Doom. The gauntlet is still worthwhile for a few items but the rest of the dungeon is no longer used except for places to steal. An update to Doom rewards and other artifacts found around the dungeon would breath new life into an old system. Another example is the heartwood quests (and other like it) where some of the best rewards (ie runics/talis) can be obtained via other (better) ways so there really isn't any other reason to waste time with the RNG... add some things to make this worthwhile. At one point in time doing these quests would potentially get players some worthwhile items (some pretty decent magic items before item revamp) ... these quests don't need a completely new rebuild; they just need some attention and have their rewards brought up to snuff with today's economy. IMO this sort of thing allows for the best return on time investment versus something like an expansion or NL which ultimately just creates another thing to maintain (or not) and risk becoming outdated (ie Eodon).

wishdragon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I agree on the first part that adding another expansion would likely only take away from existing game play; ie people would potentially flock to the new area/expansion while leaving something like Eodon/Ter Mur empty.

That said, I feel like that's sort of what NL is going to do as well. If anything it's even more of a water down to Prod shards because NL will have people playing on a completely different shard (compared to ppl playing the same shard just different area).

I'd agree with Merlin that I think the best "fix" would be to use what we currently have which is some un-used spots in places like Eodon but also revisit existing/old content and update it. One of the best examples would be Doom. The gauntlet is still worthwhile for a few items but the rest of the dungeon is no longer used except for places to steal. An update to Doom rewards and other artifacts found around the dungeon would breath new life into an old system. Another example is the heartwood quests (and other like it) where some of the best rewards (ie runics/talis) can be obtained via other (better) ways so there really isn't any other reason to waste time with the RNG... add some things to make this worthwhile. At one point in time doing these quests would potentially get players some worthwhile items (some pretty decent magic items before item revamp) ... these quests don't need a completely new rebuild; they just need some attention and have their rewards brought up to snuff with today's economy. IMO this sort of thing allows for the best return on time investment versus something like an expansion or NL which ultimately just creates another thing to maintain (or not) and risk becoming outdated (ie Eodon).
Content only updates, rather than whole new lands/dungeons is fine with me.

It's sad seeing so many formerly popular dungeons, now completely empty, so creating reasons for folks to revisit old locations would be good.

Doom as you mentioned is a perfect example. I use to go there all the time, it was always full. I took a break, came back and now when I have visited doom, it's always empty.

More love put into Eoden would be fine as well. Maybe make dragon turtles more useful, that spawn use to always be full as well, now I never see anyone there.

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
It's power creep. People don't go to doom because there's little there of interest, or there's easier places to get what you want. Combined with the skill based system with no real requirements to speak of, there's no reason even for a new person to go to the older content.

Outside of going to a global itemization model this will always happen.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My only possible complaint with NL so far, is the seasonal side of it. I mean, you can run "seasons" on the shard but why delete it and start anew all teh time. Make it like a "battle pass."

What do I know. Im a casual.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My only possible complaint with NL so far, is the seasonal side of it. I mean, you can run "seasons" on the shard but why delete it and start anew all teh time. Make it like a "battle pass."

What do I know. Im a casual.
From the sounds of it you may retain your Char/skills and rewards or xfer them to a prodo.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
From the sounds of it you may retain your Char/skills and rewards or xfer them to a prodo.
If you have a character slot, or are willing to use transfer tokens to shuffle characters/items around.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have a character slot, or are willing to use transfer tokens to shuffle characters/items around.
I have 2 main accounts with one main shard so I have plenty of landing spots. I doubt there is one player with every char slot in UO with fully skilled out chars. Most everybody has gift chars on all shards and those can be replaced easily with a NL char. 175 Chars per account, nobody has all those maxed out. This will probably be the easiest way to make chars for other shards.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have 2 main accounts with one main shard so I have plenty of landing spots. I doubt there is one player with every char slot in UO with fully skilled out chars. Most everybody has gift chars on all shards and those can be replaced easily with a NL char. 175 Chars per account, nobody has all those maxed out. This will probably be the easiest way to make chars for other shards.
Yup great way to have skills on other shards for those 150 or whatever NOOBs I have.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And then you'll be able to bring a character/token back.
Do we actually know this? The answers I've found on transferring stuff back seem unclear and vague at best. Has it really been said how this is going to work?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do we actually know this? The answers I've found on transferring stuff back seem unclear and vague at best. Has it really been said how this is going to work?
Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?

Players will not be able to transfer to the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard. At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots. Non-shard bound items and items earned via the Legacy System can also be transferred off.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does anyone really think they'll let people transfer for free? Again I ask how is NL supposed to pay for itself?
My exact same thought. What if you dont transfer? Does the char get deleted? I should probably go read up on it.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
My exact same thought. What if you dont transfer? Does the char get deleted? I should probably go read up on it.
they said the character won't get deleted.
I'm thinking that it's just the housing and the lands get reset.

limited store items on NL

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they said the character won't get deleted.
I'm thinking that it's just the housing and the lands get reset.

limited store items on NL
Yup mesanna said that, which defeats the purpose of seasons.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Regardless of what you all say. Every one of you will be logging into NL to check it out. lol

Who knows what the monitization will be but I am sure you will need a paid account to transfer your character to. End of season means new accounts for those trying out the game for the first time and wanting to keep their new friend.

*Taps his glass and the tavern keeper fills it up with a full draft of Good Old Moonglow Red*

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Regardless of what you all say. Every one of you will be logging into NL to check it out. lol

Who knows what the monitization will be but I am sure you will need a paid account to transfer your character to. End of season means new accounts for those trying out the game for the first time and wanting to keep their new friend.

*Taps his glass and the tavern keeper fills it up with a full draft of Good Old Moonglow Red*
I have no intention of trying NL

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The fact that we have so little factual information on what exactly NL will and won't be kinda ridiculous
I prefer they only add the things that work rather than tossing in broken stuff just because they mentioned it at one point.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I prefer they only add the things that work rather than tossing in broken stuff just because they mentioned it at one point.
I thought there wouldn't be any broken stuff since they've taken their time (tens of thousands of hours right??) to make sure NL will be perfect?

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does anyone really think they'll let people transfer for free? Again I ask how is NL supposed to pay for itself?
It's going to depend. There has been a comment that characters won't delete, which, as Pawain pointed out, defeats the purpose of seasons. Messena is a terrible product manager and communicator. Still, I would find it exceptionally hard to believe that she would allow seasonal characters to stay on NL once the season ends. When she says that characters won't be deleted, I will be optimistic that there will be a one-way free transfer.

The fact that we have so little factual information on what exactly NL will and won't be kinda ridiculous
I'm not getting on my soapbox again since it is a bit pointless at this stage of development, but I 100% agree with this. ALL of this negativity that NL has generated is solely due to lousy player communication.

Q: Will I be able to transfer to/off of the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard?

Players will not be able to transfer to the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard. At the conclusion of the Shattering characters will be able to transfer off the Ultima Online: New Legacy shard keeping all their skill, stat, and legacy progress they earned to shards with available character slots. Non-shard bound items and items earned via the Legacy System can also be transferred off.
Thanks for that. I agree that NL will appeal to collectors, depending on what unique tokens or non-shard-bound items are available. If it is just a simple token that indicates a player engaged in that season of NL - "I was there, and got the t-shirt" - then that will probably not drive repeat engagement in the season for very long. Milestone tokens or some scoreboard that needs sustained engagement will.

We just don't have enough information, and that's generally a bad sign. Developers who feel they've made something awesome normally can't shut up about it to their communities; we've heard nothing but crickets from this team.