• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EMs Faine and Infnity

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Just curious.. What would be the harm with having a random, non-advertised event for the shard that actually produced a reward for those attending? I have yet to ever hear of one as I have attended a few of the random events but they have mostly been just tester types for the next advertised event.

I get my fair share of the event drops, maybe around 20% of the time I get something, but the sucky thing is about 45 minutes after the event most of the items are already transfered to Atlantic or somewhere else by the cross sharders.

I think every shard should have random events which would directly support their playerbase.

Just my two cents

BG

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Sangria.. I am so sorry about directing the post to Infinity when I meant you. I just grabbed the info off the sticky above. I would have deleted this but there does not seem to be an option to delete the entire post or change the title.

Sorry :-(

BG

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so question, can you explain a little more what you mean by non-advertised? We've tried in the past to do random events with no pre-announcement and they haven't worked. We are definitely open to doing some but how do we find the players without any advertisement? We have to be careful of the cries of "favoritism". That's something that we CANNOT have happen.

I'm definitely intrigued by the suggestion. Give me some examples of what you are thinking?

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The other day I was walking around the rewards hall looking at all the event items the Origin EM’s have created and figured at least 95% of those items are not even on the shard anymore. There were numerous which I recognized as possible rewards for events I attended which I had no idea they even dropped because its unlikely anyone from Origin even won the items.
While I agree that you cannot show any favoritism but I see no harm at all in you showing favoritism to those of us which are active on the shard you support. If the unannounced events were not successful then maybe you can work on how the event items drop.
Here is my point: In order to compete for an event drop you basically have to design your character around 1 or 2 specific builds. That requires basically 100% of us to scrap our main characters and run an alt designed for events in order to compete. That stinks as most of us like to be known/associated with the character we choose as our main.
I see no harm in you setting the drops/rewards to give to every character within a certain range of the death of the event boss. I do not see the point in making 3 items drop to the highest damage throwers from another shard which then immediately transfer the items to Atlantic to sell for 100 million gold. Even if every attendee at the event was given 1 item it still would not kill the 100 million price tag the item would fetch on another shard for the coss-sharders as most Origin players would keep the item as a memento.
There are players who play UO as a job. Having only three or so items drop at events supports their ability to make real money.
I am not trying to come off as a “me me me” as I do not attend events on other shards. I could care less what drops on Napa or Atlantic. The mechanics of how event items drop, the low number of drops which increase their value on Atlantic, and thus bringing in 75% of the event participants are not even Origin players causes a number of active Origin players to not even attend the events.
Origin has the best EM’s in UO by far. The effort that is put into designing the events and the dedication is commendable.

Last edited:

EM Sangria

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sangria.. I am so sorry about directing the post to Infinity when I meant you. I just grabbed the info off the sticky above. I would have deleted this but there does not seem to be an option to delete the entire post or change the title.

Sorry :-(

BG
No problem Blood Ghoul. :D

And yes, as Faine said an example would help us understand.

Last edited:

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What you see on Origin (due to time difference of 9 hours I could not take part at any EM event at common time anyway) we have also on Drachenfels.
This is really the question, why always those with the highest damage output seem to be those, who solely get the price (if there is any). Are other participants less worth?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
They changed the way EM Event items are given. Anyone who either A. Hits the Boss B. Heals those who hit the boss C. Has pets hit the boss or D. Heals pets that hit the boss have a chance to get an item.

I personally do not care for people who go to events just to get an item BUT these changes do work. I have brought the same character to every event, my mage tamer who's template I have not changed since the day I made her. She still has the same crappy gear she's had since before imbuing, she uses the same crappy rune beetle that she first tamed many many years ago...and I have gotten 6 event item drops. Before the changes I would never have even had a chance to get one so I know for a fact these changes DO work.

To hold an Origin-Only event would be rather difficult but possible. I could always coordinate with Faine and Sangria through e-mail and spread the word in game so that I wouldn't have to post it on the forums, but I don't think an item should be given as such an event. Who's to say someone not from Origin wouldn't catch wind of it and come for the item and you'd end up having the same problems?

Personally I think that either A. they need to stop giving out items entirely...or B. Give EVERYONE at the event the item...but just one like they did with the roses so that someone can't gate in a million alts to get it then sell them.

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to let you guys know, Sangria and I are reading this and discussing your points.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was the same way when I played here, I was wanting to get one of the items so I knew there was at least one that stayed on the shard. I found that a Sampire always worked well to get rights for a drop, but with the changes you could take a mage and just heal, heal ,heal to see if that worked. as far as having the events with little notice, I think that would hurt the Shard's players too much to be worth it. I agree that it should be an item that is given to everyone , so maybe put up a statue like you did for your and Lauranas Sashes (and the plant for the garg sash), and let people have as many as they want. if someone wants to try and sell that item for millions or billions, then let them. as they always say "a fool and his money..."

*sets out a plate of Cookies for Faine and Sangria*

cookie plate.jpg

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hmmm.. Is it true and where does it say the event item drop distribution has been changed to random? From everything I am reading it says you need to be a tamer or thrower to win items. I have seen, heard, nor can find anything official that the item drops have been changed.

I would also vote for no items but then we'd get like 5 of us there... So if everyone gets an item whats the harm in that? EM items should be given to those that participate in an event and not be created in such a manner as to have a billion gold price tag.

BG