• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Events, Entitlement Issues

georox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, something I have realized and has been bothering me, why does everyone feel entitled to items whenever an event happens? And not only that, why do so many people refuse to participate in anything unless they are rewarded? I constantly see people crapping on our EMs for not passing out candy every chance they get, I don't see the point. You need them giving you pixels worth fake money to care? Why are you entitled to a reward? Why does every event need some sort of carrot on the end of the stick for people to care?

(Note - I know not everyone feels this way, but I've seen a lot that do, and some rather annoying few that are vocal about it.)

Discuss.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
isnt that the reason we do things in this game?
i dont think people go out of there way to getting there armor destroyed by grizzle.
how bout bods? dont people do them for the chance at a reward?
every year were given a reward for yealry service.
one of the largest concepts in this game is rewards.
to cry that someone didnt get anything for there effort is natural.
to presume your getting one, well thats just what drives us i suppose

Benito

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree with Georox.

The point, as I see it, to participating in EM events is to have fun and 'participate in the event' not just to get items. There is no need to hand out items at every event and our EMs do have items drop at enough of their events to make things interesting. The two items I've seen recently are the red heavy crossbows labeled "Harpoon" and the fancy shirts with the name "Goblin Slayer" on them. There have been others from minor events like EM Vladimere's retirement as well.

I disagree that "to cry that someone didnt get anything for there effort is natural." It's not natural, it's a sign of being spoiled. I can name a bunch of times that I've done champ spawns and not gotten a scroll, or killed paragons in Ilsh for hours on end and not received an artifact or done the Doom Gauntlet and not received an artifact. I don't go around afterward complaining that the Devs are being stingy by not giving me pixelcrack.

The difference is that there is that at EM events the self entitled have the opportunity and the dubious willingness to vent at the EM running the show.

Jordy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree that it gets old when the same people show up at the events and sit there saying "can I get a sash" "can I get a shirt" "can I get can I get can I get" over and over. Show up to have fun, be appreciative if you do happen to receive something. Most of these people don't even want an item to commemorate the event by, they want some stuff to spam in general and try to make easy money off of anyway.

H

Helter Skelter

I have to agree that it gets old when the same people show up at the events and sit there saying "can I get a sash" "can I get a shirt" "can I get can I get can I get" over and over. Show up to have fun, be appreciative if you do happen to receive something. Most of these people don't even want an item to commemorate the event by, they want some stuff to spam in general and try to make easy money off of anyway.
Well said Jordy!

Can I have your stuff?

=P

-Sirk!

georox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wishing my printscreen keying was faster... but last night someone had the nerve to outright ask the EM for an item.... while they were socializing with players at the rarefest... >.>

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Eh it happens.

I am just glade EM Dudley and EM Drosselmeyer know that not everyone feels that way and that we also just enjoy them being around and hanging out. (Even if they do like to set fire!!) hehe

Z

Zelda of Zed

this post will just get locked up if i say something.. but...... do you go to champ spawn... or Narvy or anywhere to waste 2 hours, and be happy with your 20k in gold you might have picked up.. you hope you or someone in your group gets something. I think its the same way with the events. You take 2 hours, you like to see someone get something besides death robes, or what is the point! I can go down to narvy for 2 hours and get nothing, but there is a chance I will. And with all of the stuff we have seen come from other shards with this rares fest.. we see how much our shard has missed. just saying...

Z...

georox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see nothing missed aside from more filth people will bicker and fight over to obtain more virtual wealth to do nothing with. Yes.. more items to clog the server... so every time I run by some castle I spend a minute locked up while items load from the server and render... yes, just what I wanted... oh, and more of that neon blight. :/

We have a wealth of story, and a good RP community to help support it... but it seems everyone else only cares if their is promise of making a quick buck, and make it very well known. Years ago we had no EMs doing events, and everyone wanted events, rewards or not. Now we have events, people don't attend unless they expect a reward will fall into their pocket, and heaven forbid someone else gets it too, because that would devalue it.

Z

Zelda of Zed

There is just so much i could say about your comment, however since i was told who you are, you have no room to talk about anyone. Do you really wanna go there Geos?

Z...

I see nothing missed aside from more filth people will bicker and fight over to obtain more virtual wealth to do nothing with. Yes.. more items to clog the server... so every time I run by some castle I spend a minute locked up while items load from the server and render... yes, just what I wanted... oh, and more of that neon blight. :/

georox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh? No room to talk? Really? I've never been the one to complain about lack of rewards from events. :) I make my own fun. If you want to take this to a personal level, I will tear you apart. I believe most of the shard already knows how heavily I disapprove of you and how much you whine and make everything about you daily. Let's not bring it to that. :)

N

Nastia Cross

So, something I have realized and has been bothering me, why does everyone feel entitled to items whenever an event happens? And not only that, why do so many people refuse to participate in anything unless they are rewarded? I constantly see people crapping on our EMs for not passing out candy every chance they get, I don't see the point. You need them giving you pixels worth fake money to care? Why are you entitled to a reward? Why does every event need some sort of carrot on the end of the stick for people to care?

(Note - I know not everyone feels this way, but I've seen a lot that do, and some rather annoying few that are vocal about it.)

Discuss.
It is pretty sad that people have to whine and complain when they are not rewarded for participating in an EM event. Did someone twist your arm to go? No. You made a choice. Life is about choices, choosing how you will live it is entirely up to each individual. The same is said for this game. If you want rewards, go where you know they are guaranteed. Don't complain or whine or throw a fit when you aren't given something for free (and yes you can try to validate your argument saying that the price is paid for by your involvement and "hard work" during the event but we all know that this is simply an excuse). Bottom line is, everyone pays for their own accounts. They dictate how they choose to play the game. No one has the right to tell anyone else how they should or should not play UO (of course as long as they are following the rules). But that doesn't give anyone the right to demand to be given items for their participation in an event.

With that said, I may go to an event in hopes of getting one of the potential item drops, but I stay for the fun of the event, the creativity of our EMs in the storylines they develop and the "sets" that they build to host it all (as a design enthusiast I particularly enjoyed the underwater scene and also the underground area after the treasure hunt). In the spirit of full disclosure, I have sold some of the event items I've received for gold. What I get from the events is not the items and their resulting gold but the fun I've had, especially the laughs in vent during the events.

S

Saris

I would prefer a memento from events i take place in, that so bad?

I do not care about the uber rare items from events more than anyone else that is.

dont mean to be poking around on chessy but on my home shard alot of times the event fill more like work then fun, i like to get paid for work:p fun ill do for free.

J

Jamlyn

I feel like I need to reply to all of this. I took a long break from UO, but when I was involved in events back from 98 to 2000, I do not remember getting much of anything. For two years we battled against Mazrim and his Undead in Aryslan. I think I can recall two times where someone had gotten something off a monster. One of them was the "Mace of the Undead", and this item was found in Minoc. Ive been through over 100 attacks on our town and not once do I remember anything dropping that was special to the quest at hand.

Everyone needs to be thankful that the GM's, Seers, and EM's over the years even do these things for us. Find another game that has this much attention to the player base, I dare you.

Play this game for the experience, it is the best thing it gives.

C

Clair The Mystic

I think many mistake a desire for fair play for greed. I don't care if people in UO get event items or not. I do care if other shards are getting items for events and Chessy is not. Our shard deserves to be treated the same as the other shards when it comes to giving out items. If they get items, we should get items. I get so tired of some saying "People on Chessy are too greedy" while we are being F'd in the A. I am not a take it and smile kind of guy (and Zelda is not a take it and smile kind of girl).

R

Ransom_of_BiC

this post will just get locked up if i say something.. but...... do you go to champ spawn... or Narvy or anywhere to waste 2 hours, and be happy with your 20k in gold you might have picked up.. you hope you or someone in your group gets something. I think its the same way with the events. You take 2 hours, you like to see someone get something besides death robes, or what is the point! I can go down to narvy for 2 hours and get nothing, but there is a chance I will. And with all of the stuff we have seen come from other shards with this rares fest.. we see how much our shard has missed. just saying...

Z...
This.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
. And with all of the stuff we have seen come from other shards with this rares fest.. we see how much our shard has missed. just saying...

Z...
Just move to one of those other shards then. Simple solution. You'll get the tons of pixelcrack 'known to be given out freely to all who want them, and not have to post about it here.

Or you'll wind up posting the same complaints sbout that shard.

C

Clair The Mystic

Just move to one of those other shards then. Simple solution. You'll get the tons of pixelcrack 'known to be given out freely to all who want them, and not have to post about it here.

Or you'll wind up posting the same complaints sbout that shard.
Or, we could just get a fair shake on the shard we have dedicated our whole UO lives to. Zelda was running player events and contributing to the community on Chessy for years before the EMs were in UO. I find the idea that she or anyone else on Chessy should move because we dare to ask for what is fair offensive. We (the players of Chessy) deserve to be treated fairly when compared to other shards. This is our shard. There is no good reason we shouldn't get what is fair on our shard. We also have the right to complain and question. If you don't want to listen to such complaints, then perhaps you should move along like you suggested Zelda do.

D

Death Adder

I think there should be items given out. They don't have to be overpowered PvP items or anything, but is it so bad to get a commemorative sash or something like that? My 8 year old son is playing the game now, and he participates in events for fun and plays the game for fun, but you should see how excited he gets when he gets something cool, whether it's a rare monster drop or a gift from another player. He was SO excited about the Talisman of Vorpal Bunny Summoning someone gave him yesterday "for being so cute". He was excited to get a Mesanna's Cream Pie. He was excited when someone gave him a ring that turned him into a goblin (which he is loving, he joined that goblin guild and everything). He goes NUTS when he gets a rare monster drop and he's so jealous of me for getting 2 Basilisk Hide Breastplates to his 0 (admittedly I farm rats WAY more than he does). It's just human nature, I think. My wife (rares collector) is much the same. I personally don't care because I'm a crafter/PvPer and I only care about PvP items, which EMs never give out anymore and frankly I don't need (I have what I think is the absolute single best suit of dexxer armor in the game). Which is why I don't go to events. But my kid does and little mementos make the events special to him. Though if the EMs started handing out Seeds of Renewal I wouldn't miss a single event :)

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think its great that EMs have been brought to the shards to help provide some spontaneous fun and to help with storyline development. I also enjoy the EMs introducing new items into the various shards. And it is fun to get the occasional item, but I do not think it is required at every EM event to attend.

I do find it distasteful that people will ruin a storyline event with their constant badgering of the EM for items, while the EM is clearly trying to be in character and move an event storyline forward. There is a time and place to voice complaints such as an e-mail to the EM or at a shard meeting when asked for feedback. I don't see how badgering or making negative comments while the event is in progress provides incentive for the EM to comply at all. In fact it probably has contributed to less items being given out on our shard.

I do think the treasure chests and treasure statues is a great way to distribute the various items. It allows the EMs to spend more of their limited time running fun and spontaneous events for the players on a shard rather than crafting and distributing items to every single character on every account on the shard.

R

Ransom_of_BiC

Oh, how I wish every 'event' wasn't tailored around a 'story-line'.

Whatever EM's did in the past or do on other shards or what they have been 'traditionally' doing, in my opinion, is neither here nor there.

Step outside the box and realize there is an ENTIRE shard of people who are here, who would enjoy participating in events, who are people JUST AS IMPORTANT to this shard as those who role play.

georox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, how I wish every 'event' wasn't tailored around a 'story-line'.

Whatever EM's did in the past or do on other shards or what they have been 'traditionally' doing, in my opinion, is neither here nor there.

Step outside the box and realize there is an ENTIRE shard of people who are here, who would enjoy participating in events, who are people JUST AS IMPORTANT to this shard as those who role play.
I'll be honest... it's not hard to roleplay. Kill the acronyms, clean up your English a bit, give your character a 10 second backstory. (Note, not yelling at you on the English bit, you do a wonderful job Ransom, your posts are actually quite easy to read! Cheers, keep it up.)

And honestly... what do you expect them to do? They've done scavenger hunt things... they've done PvP tournaments... they've done monster hunts... there isn't really a traditional thing. Now, I will say that the events do seem to be rather stuck around certain players a lot, and rarely seem to include new people unless you are in with the ones who are already part of it... but on the other hand, I find it extremely painful to imagine some people on this shard having large roles (Hell, some of the ones that do seem rather undeserving at times.)

I'll cut this rant short...

C

Clair The Mystic

I do find it distasteful that people will ruin a storyline event with their constant badgering of the EM for items, while the EM is clearly trying to be in character and move an event storyline forward. There is a time and place to voice complaints such as an e-mail to the EM or at a shard meeting when asked for feedback. I don't see how badgering or making negative comments while the event is in progress provides incentive for the EM to comply at all. In fact it probably has contributed to less items being given out on our shard..
Yes.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cake is nice. If there is a piece of cake for me YAY...if not I hope the next person who did get cake enjoyed it. As far as the way and means of getting cake, I prefer to sit without saying a peep and hope a piece is served on my plate. Whether it is or is not served, it is usually best to say thanks to the host for the wonderful meal.

R

Ransom_of_BiC

Cake is nice. If there is a piece of cake for me YAY...if not I hope the next person who did get cake enjoyed it. As far as the way and means of getting cake, I prefer to sit without saying a peep and hope a piece is served on my plate. Whether it is or is not served, it is usually best to say thanks to the host for the wonderful meal.
Absolutely. Disrupting the events is wrong and lame.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
kant's wees all just bees happy? *hands out ice creams*

ozog