• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Event: The Ominous Merchant

J

Jafanarae

First of all, let me say thank you to the EMs for putting on the event tonight. :) I haven't seen so many orcs for a long time, and I'd forgotten how many forts there were dotted around the place!

Does it continue tomorrow? The final clue mentioned going to the co-ordinates tomorrow. I couldn't resist taking a peek today but there was nothing there.

When we all went back to the counselor's hall, I wasn't sure what was going on. Everyone was speaking German and I didn't want to be rude and interrupt their conversation. I thought we were waiting for something, but then everyone (including the EMs) left. I didn't hand my book in or anything, does it carry on tomorrow or did I miss something?

Was there supposed to be a little trinket to keep as a souvenir or is the souvenir just the fond memory of the event?

Thanks

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep a eye on the EM webpage to when it continues. http://drachenfels.uoem.net/

And next time don't be afraid to ask things in english. People don't mind explaining things to you. I was there too and i don't speak german but i do understand it.

J

Jafanarae

Thanks Frarc :)

I have, in the past, encountered hostility from people who didn't like my "I'm sorry, I don't speak German" response to their questions. I have been told to go and play on an English shard and that Drachenfels is a German shard for Germans (even though the servers for both Europa and Drachenfels are located in London).

I'm not averse to languages, at school I studied French and Spanish until I was 18, but I didn't study German.

Anyway, the shard is less populated now so maybe the rude people have left but I pretty much keep myself to myself and try not to cause trouble or offence.

Lexfixr

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks Frarc :)

I have, in the past, encountered hostility from people who didn't like my "I'm sorry, I don't speak German" response to their questions. I have been told to go and play on an English shard and that Drachenfels is a German shard for Germans (even though the servers for both Europa and Drachenfels are located in London).

I'm not averse to languages, at school I studied French and Spanish until I was 18, but I didn't study German.

Anyway, the shard is less populated now so maybe the rude people have left but I pretty much keep myself to myself and try not to cause trouble or offence.
Hiya
I have been on DF since it hatched and I have had the same issues you have experienced over the years, I'm from Western Canada, my german is very limited but all in all you will find ignorants on any shard. I know that even now there are a few that dont say get off the shard but just ignore me if I speak. But DF is a great shard for the world, I have Russian, French, Brits, Welsh, Auzzies, etc that are my friends on this shard. I wouldnt leave or keep to myself cuz of a few.
So any time you want to talk Canadian just stop me for a chat just look for Wild Thing
take care

N

Nenime

This is going totally off-topic but I would like to agree with Frarc and Lexfixr.

Jafanarae, there are morons on every shard. As I wrote as a side note in another thread, I'm making the same experience from time to time. My native language isn't German and it isn't English either but I'm (more or less) able to chat in both languages but I prefer talking English ingame.

I heard some players tenderly calling Drachenfels "das Dorf" which means 'the village (-community)'. I think this is really cute and it symbolizes that due to the low population all players know each other personally. But as you know, in small villages there are always some few grumpy neighbours who lived there for ages and to whom visitors are suspicious. I mentioned this once and they explained to me that some years ago there where some 'intruders', acting very rude, came over and emptied shops of Arties, blocked Champ Spawn and played a rather unfair style of PvP. About two years ago I encountered blatant scripting of (chinese?) players in Painted Caves and Fan Dancer Dojo. Some DF player are just sick of 'Shardhoppers' who line their pockets with comparably cheap stuff from our Shard and sell it with mass profit on more populated shards. But I think these are just some exceptions which probably take place on every shard. Actually, in an online game you can't blame other players for enjoying another playstyle than yours whether you like it or not.

Ok, the long and the short of it is: Ignore fuddy-duddies, ignore rude remarks, this has nothing to do with Drachenfels itself. When they see your playstyle and recognized that you're NOT that bad fellow, they'll make a friend pretty soon - regardless of languages. :)

Oh yes, and like Frarc said: Please don't hesitate to ask if you don't understand. It would be too bad if you would miss something because of your (very polite) shyness.
Have lots of fun :thumbsup:

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey everyone,

like always, I missed all the last EM events due to RL thingies. So I was not able to be at the event yesterday evening, but I discovered the books today and was able to do the hunt for myself (fun!)... :)

As a native german speaking gal I have no problems to switch to english, well, it is far from being perfect, but so far anyone got my message :D

As for the "language problem": I am quite sure the EMs are talking in both languages. I heard they do all events in the english/german language. Sometimes at "Meet & Greets" (I attended the last one, woot!) I got the impression there are only german speaking people, maybe they got that impression too and talk only in german? Make yourself heard! Let them know you do not understand german, and they'll help you? :)

And yes, Drachenfels (DF) ist "ein Dorf" (a village) - you know, there are weird characters and there are also very nice people. Just be nice and polite and you won't hear a bad word from any of them! :)

Farewell, auf bald!
~ Medea

J

Jafanarae

I fully agree that jerks can be found in all kinds of places, speaking all kinds of languages. As English is so widely spoken, there must be more English speaking idiots than idiots who speak most other single languages!

I don’t have a problem with the German-speaking community (or any other nationality / language / culture). If I did, I wouldn’t play here. I’ve been based on Drachenfels since I came back to the game in 2002 (having started in 1997 on other shards before Drachenfels existed and then taken a break of a few years). Unfortunately, since 2002, the population has declined and people I knew in game have quit (including RL friends who used to play).

I’m aware that being linguistically challenged meant that I didn’t understand what was going on at the event last night. That’s entirely my fault and doesn’t in any way detract from the great job our lovely EMs are doing. It’s nice to have these fun events / storylines / little get togethers back in the game again. As I did not realise that the event was being discussed, I didn’t want to interrupt someone else’s conversation by saying “What are you saying? What are you saying? Say it in English!” and make them translate something like “I said like her dress”! Until everyone said bye and promptly disappeared, I thought we were waiting and that they were just chatting randomly to pass the time.

I guess I didn’t realise it was event speak because at previous events (e.g. the Cloak of Stealth hand outs and previous scavenger hunts), the actual event speak has been in both English and German, so I had just assumed it would be the same this time and that any single language conversation was just chatting.

As for shardhopping, the whole concept of moving from shard to shard and owning it (or should that be “pwning it”?) or plundering its resources is, by its very nature, antisocial and I completely understand the animosity felt towards those players by the communities they damage.

J

Jafanarae

MedeaDF - I guess you're right and they just assumed everyone was German-speaking. I went to the last meet and greet, there were hardly any people there and I was clearly the only non-German speaker so I left (not angrily or anything) because I didn't have any particular questions, I had just gone along to see what was happening. I didn't want to make them type everything twice (once in German and once in English) purely for my benefit, I would have thought myself a little selfish for doing that!

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Jafanarae,
MedeaDF - I guess you're right and they just assumed everyone was German-speaking. I went to the last meet and greet, there were hardly any people there and I was clearly the only non-German speaker so I left (not angrily or anything) because I didn't have any particular questions, I had just gone along to see what was happening. I didn't want to make them type everything twice (once in German and once in English) purely for my benefit, I would have thought myself a little selfish for doing that!
Well, I think you just have to do that next time - being a little selfish does not hurt and I am sure they will do that just for you! ;)

J

Jafanarae

Lexfixr - You are right, of course.

I'll look out for you in game.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to UO and Drachenfels my writing in english and understanding of german got alot better. Thats the advantage of being on a multiculture/language shard for almost 11 years. :)

Now i only need to teach people some more dutch or should i say flemish. ;)

C

CatLord

When we all went back to the counselor's hall, I wasn't sure what was going on. Everyone was speaking German and I didn't want to be rude and interrupt their conversation. I thought we were waiting for something, but then everyone (including the EMs) left. I didn't hand my book in or anything, does it carry on tomorrow or did I miss something?

Was there supposed to be a little trinket to keep as a souvenir or is the souvenir just the fond memory of the event?

Thanks

Interrupt everyone! Works great for me... :thumbsup:

EM Hall keeps a record of the event winners... no more rewards.

C

CatLord

Thanks to UO and Drachenfels my writing in english and understanding of german got alot better. Thats the advantage of being on a multiculture/language shard for almost 11 years. :)

Now i only need to teach people some more dutch or should i say flemish. ;)
Dont forget Portuguese!

N

Nenime

The Meet&Greet tonight (Sept. 2nd) was funny but reeeally hard to follow - or was it just me? Although I understood (most of) the words itself I lost the thread of the conversation more than once. Nice idea to add some roleplaying by certain players like the golden warrior or this guy with jester hats. I've enjoyed it. :)

Not much information about what is coming on weekend but it seems to be something quite bloody. So we find Doom in Luna this time, eh?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They did not wanted to say much about the upcoming event. What i know is that going to be a long and hard fight against the Shadowlords and there friends. Not sure if its going to be in Luna alone. I have more of a feelings its going to be global.I know its going to get nasty . Thats why i planned no next adventure this week-end. But there will be one next week!

Mmmm its been awhile i seen this golden warrior. If its this red haired person i think it is she only wants us humans death. She will do anything to get that done.Don't let her beautifull looks fool you. She is very deadly and fearless!

L

Legacyee

I was under the impression that the event was going to be everywhere, Fel and Tram, a little more info would have been nice so i could find somewhere safe to hide:)

and I stayed far away from the golden warrior at the meeting, i just got the feeling that a very powerfull and evil person was in the room and I'm sure it was this thing with red hair and eyes.