• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Effect Stacking Broken Down

B

Bella

Original article can be found here at Guild Wars Insider.

Beliasta’s Effect Stacking Breakdown
By: Beliasta | Mar 28, 2012 | Featured,GW2 News

So I did an effect breakdown, and people were coming up to me in the streets and were all like “So how do effects stack, Beliasta?” Alright, that didn’t actually happen, but here’s what I meant by stacks via Duration and stacks via Intensity.
In Guild Wars 2, you will never see multiple cases of an effect on a character. No matter how many times you set them on fire with a host of different abilities (I’m looking at you longbow Warrior), they will only ever have ONE burning condition. That way the UI doesn’t get cluttered to heck and you don’t need your significant other next to you counting how many poisons you’re suffering.
Okay…you look like you have 5 burns, 3 different regenerations and maybe 19 poisons? What the hell are you fighting?​
Just because the UI only shows one instance of each effect at a time, that doesn’t mean that’s all there is. There is a lot going on under the hood, which I’m here to breakdown(at least my understanding of it). This also means that if someone removes an effect…it removes all of it.

Stacks by Intensity
As a refresher, these are the effects that stack by intensity(rare and few in-between because of their power likely):
Might, Retaliation
Bleeding, Confusion, Vulnerability
And this is how they stack-:

B

Bella

Sorry, I guess the article was too picture intensive and I had to break it down into two pieces.

Stacks by Duration
As a refresher, these are the effects that stack by duration(the rest):
Fury, Protection, Regeneration, Swiftness, Vigor
Burning, Chilled, Crippled, Immobilized, Poison, Weakness
Quickness, Stability
And this is how they stack-:

It looks a little bit different from the way Arenanet phrased it last year but that was before they introduced things like Malice (condition damage), Expertise (condition duration) and Concentration (boon duration). I hope that clearly shows how effect stacking works, since it seemed to be a matter of confusion for a few people.

*Effect icons are from the Guild Wars 2 Wiki
We here at Guild Wars 2 Stratics would like to thank Beliasta for the breakdown on effect stacking and look forward to more articles from him, and Guild Wars Insider, in the future!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'll see if I can make posts allow more links/pictures.