• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EC Tutorial - watch 2 new guys try it out

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just ran across this Youtube video posted in March called
Fresh Look: Ultima Online in 2016
Two gamers with no apparent previous study of UO download the EC and try out the tutorial
First off, they try to decide between a human and elf character based on looks alone - a popup here explaining the pros and cons of elf and human would have been helpful
They stumble around but eventually figure it out enough to wade through the first few tasks - commendable - and say they're quite enjoying the charm of this archaic atmosphere
They had the hardest time figuring out how to mark a quest item but finally figured out how to click the character to get the menu to pop up (a tip here would have been helpful)
They do everything by clicking the default icons - no wonder it seemed clumsy to them
Made me realize the tutorial should include a few keyboard shortcut tips (i to open inventory, m to open map - and especially CTL Shift to target enemies and corpses) and a suggestion to go into the settings and set your mouse wheel to zoom in and out
Or is that not included because you have the same tutorial for both clients? Dunno, never tried it in CC. Still, EC could have its own tips easily enough
What do you think of their attempt?
EDIT: Correction: the tutorial does give a tip on finding the menu for toggle quest item, as is pointed out in the post below. The players and me all missed it.

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They had the hardest time figuring out how to mark a quest item but finally figured out how to click the character to get the menu to pop up (a tip here would have been helpful)
They had that tip as soon as they picked up the worn Katana. They were just focused on a different part of the screen. EC is still too confusing even for me and I have been around a while. They should only let new folks dl the CC :)

Untitled.jpg

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, dude knew how the hotbars moved and locked, I"m not buying the "newb" part..He's played with the ec prior to this video.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
He is an experienced gamer, GG. Hotbars are not exclusive to EC UO. Just my opinion. I could be wrong, I was once before.

Thanks for posting this video. It was awesome.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Remember that the guy "reviewing" the game gave what part of the tutorial he did a thumbs up. There is hours of playing in New Haven. That is what I hear anyway... I have never been there. :eyes:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
He is an experienced gamer, GG. Hotbars are not exclusive to EC UO. Just my opinion. I could be wrong, I was once before.

Thanks for posting this video. It was awesome.
Holy cow! Kelmo speaks! :gee:

But you are right on UO EC not being the only hotbarred client. DAOC at least has it. I haven't touched WoW or EQ2 in ages and can't remember.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Haha, of course it must be a big conspiracy when they play the EC and actually enjoy it, right? UHall ftw.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They had that tip as soon as they picked up the worn Katana. They were just focused on a different part of the screen. EC is still too confusing even for me and I have been around a while. They should only let new folks dl the CC :)

View attachment 47774
Good point that the tutorial did give a tip on finding the toggle quest menu. I missed that one.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those two guys are doing it great. The EC looks quite good and seems to be arranged for first use within seconds. The tutorial shows them around nicely and they seem to enjoy it. I think our experienced perspective sometimes distorts our judgement. Does I work? It does. Does it work well? Yes, in quite some respects, very well. Can you figure it out? Yeah, within some minutes. SWTOR-start and -tutorial for example are far worse! Boring, bad designed, too much conversation, zero freedom of choice for hours, weird maneuvering... I should give EC a more thorough try. It looks fine this way.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just not feeling the love for the EC to actually play with. Nothing against those who like it, it just ain't my thing. I do have a few uses for it though........ Like finding a certain piece of junk in chest full of junk.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd love to see somebody get about a dozen gamers who have never played UO agree to go through the tutorial while making a video like this, half using EC and the other half using CC, and then compare the two groups. That would be marketing research, for which Broadsword mostly likely has no time or money.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Let's drop the whole EC vs CC issue. It is a waste of time to argue. I am not in the mood to argue with any demagogues...

What I enjoyed about the video is that an old time gamer enjoyed playing UO. That is a thing that can be built upon. Nostalgia sells. Uo is a throwback game that never went away.

I see a spark. I have some ideas I will take to the Rusty Dagger.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good video and yes a lot of games have bars, WoW, Star Wars, etc. One thing he didn't notice was the Checkbox at the bottom of the map to Center on Player, which keeps your dot in the middle of the map and updates as you move. It auto-deselects if you click inside the map and the graphic inside it (zooming in & out does not uncheck the box though).

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love to see somebody get about a dozen gamers who have never played UO agree to go through the tutorial while making a video like this, half using EC and the other half using CC, and then compare the two groups. That would be marketing research, for which Broadsword mostly likely has no time or money.
We can do it online. Just have to find participants... But I promise, EC will win.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love to see somebody get about a dozen gamers who have never played UO agree to go through the tutorial while making a video like this, half using EC and the other half using CC
They would have to make a tutorial for the classic client first though!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I asked that Q earlier - you and DJAd are the first ones to answer it. No tutorial at all? That's pretty harsh.
Been saying that for years now... The EC tutorial is a bare minimum of what needs to happen and it doesn't even tell them they have a bank account... I don't know how many newbs I ran into who don't know about that and throw all kinds of stuff away and ask me how to pay for stuff that's real expensive when they can't carry much gold. When I show them to the bank they are sad. Most of them don't know what to keep or throw but then that problem has plagued all of us for years.

The CC basically just dumps you in game at Haven near the bank and that's it you're on your own from there. Unless they pick a town which then they wind up wherever with no clue what's going on.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a BRAND NEW player without any guidance the start of UO is terrible. I feel there are a few simple additions they could add to help out new players:

• Add a couple of quests. Mage and warrior ones to start. Complete the mage quest and get a replica sorcerers suit + FULL spellbook. Complete the warrior quest and get a knights armor suit + weapon. This would be a good start for a new player and give them some basic equipment to get them going. The current new player quest rewards are total junk.
  • Give them a runebook with some runes inside. Luna mint etc.
  • More starting gold. 1k these days is just not gonna cut it.
  • How to mark / recall / gate travel
  • Using moongates
  • Buying a horse
  • How to buy items from NPC
  • How to use the bank and money sytem
  • How to insure items
  • Using vendor search
  • Placing a house (along with locking down items etc.)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always been a CC only guy. The only reason I have EC on my computer is to log in and confirm MR and HPR count etc.... once I scroll through the character sheets I would shut it down.

Then I watched this video and thought..." damn that really doesnt look that bad". Then I watched him change the size of his game window and I was like....WTF, I gotta try this!
I spent about 4 hours the other day and set up 2 of my mages ( one pvp and one PVM) in EC. So far I gotta tell ya....I love it so far. Unlimited Hotbars and hot keys assigned to each. Superior targeting and movement.
to just name a couple things.
I run dual monitors my left monitor holds my map...chat..paperdoll...hotbars...backpack... etc. My right monitor is a full sized (21inch) game window.
This is without pincos/uoa/UO cart or anything else. Just the EC.

Look the EC isnt perfect...but it is no worse then the CC. The graphics have started to grow on my too ( it is very diablo ish). And I have been told I havent even gotten to some the best parts of the EC.
All I am says is I use to be a EC hater...but after a few hours....it really is pretty damn nice. Many of the things I hate about the CC have been resolved!

That is just my two cents....

Hate on!!!!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good idea. My first house I lost everything in it the first night because nobody told me this

This is sooo true.

My First UO experience, a girl I was dating bought me the game and a 1 month sub. I told her I wanted to be a blacksmith/miner ( I envisoned a Dwarf). She sat down beside me created a character for me. Placed a tiny little house in tram along beside a mountain some place. she taught me how to log down chests and how to place a trash barrel....went over this a couple times so I didnt lose anything. Passed me a shovel point at the mountains and said...go mine. She gave me a kiss and left for the day. I spent a few hours walking along the mountain saying " I wish to mine here" before giving up!

In hind sight I can laugh at what an idiot I was. But if you think about it honestly...CC isnt exactly user friendly either. I know experience players that need to be shown how to do a lot of things because the game is so damn glitchy.

( This was around 2003-2004 I believe, nothing in the CC game play wise has really changed since then)

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm with you Timberwolf. I still prefer the CC, but I did set up my Tamer in the EC and having all the hotbars is awesome for that.
Graphics still give me a headache though. I did notice these guys mentioned the graphics are muddy for them as well.

I don't think the EC is a waste, the graphics need something though.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
graphics dont bother me as much as I thought they would...they are starting to grow on me.