• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

General EC client crashes

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 Ec crashes where i can describe exactly what did happen.
Enable Grid Legacy Containers is set to off. Did open bankbox. Tried to resize container window to really big to see more items. Client did freeze, no other actions possible.

Fighting Balrons at Chaos shrine. In about 1 hour, ec did crash 3 times. Also sound did go silent for about 3 seconds a lot of time.
2 ec crashes did seem to be random, the third one i can describe exactly.
Was low on bandages and pots, wanted to recall out. A paragon did spawn, i did cast a sacred journey. Did get paralyzed before transportation happened , but after spell did go off. Instant crash, return to desktop. Char is in protection, so slow casting time.

About the sound bug where sound stops working for a few seconds, it seems to happen alot when i have hit lighting on weapon. But need to do more testing.

This happpens on a very stable and newish pc that can handle all other games just fine without problems.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also just crashed twice in EC. Both times I believe i was clicking on something (mob/healthbar)

Just came back to UO, i never used to crash with EC (2 years ago)

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 Ec crashes where i can describe exactly what did happen.
Enable Grid Legacy Containers is set to off. Did open bankbox. Tried to resize container window to really big to see more items. Client did freeze, no other actions possible.

Fighting Balrons at Chaos shrine. In about 1 hour, ec did crash 3 times. Also sound did go silent for about 3 seconds a lot of time.
2 ec crashes did seem to be random, the third one i can describe exactly.
Was low on bandages and pots, wanted to recall out. A paragon did spawn, i did cast a sacred journey. Did get paralyzed before transportation happened , but after spell did go off. Instant crash, return to desktop. Char is in protection, so slow casting time.

About the sound bug where sound stops working for a few seconds, it seems to happen alot when i have hit lighting on weapon. But need to do more testing.

This happpens on a very stable and newish pc that can handle all other games just fine without problems.
The first case has been resolved. Have you been able to get the second case to happen again after the latest patch?

Bluewolf10th

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've also been experiencing something similar since the new version of the Enhanced Client was released in early October.

I can't give the "exact" sequence of events leading to the crashes, because they always occur in situations with a medium to large group of NPCs/monsters all attacking at once. I'd say the easiest way to reproduce the problem for me would be to farm for keys in either the Tokuno Citadel, of the Malas Bedlam dungeons.

When the problem occurs, my UO window simply freezes, no black screens, no forced closing, nothing. Everything just stops moving. I have to manually close the window using the red X on the top right. Doing so, windows tells me the program has stopped responding. I have to completely close the UO client window and restart from the patcher to keep playing, often at the expense of my character's life.

I've tried a various methods of preventing the crashes to no avail:
*Setting particle detail to "low"
*Setting particle filter to "none"
*Disabling all audio in the client
*Several other tricks proposed by fellow players*

The only thing I haven't done yet is completely removing the client and starting over from scratch

I can easily crash my client up to 4 times per hour without much effort. It's seriously putting a damper on my regular playing habits...

I'm willing to put up any kind of additional info / try out any situations you can think of to help find a resolution to this issue.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've also been experiencing something similar since the new version of the Enhanced Client was released in early October.

I can't give the "exact" sequence of events leading to the crashes, because they always occur in situations with a medium to large group of NPCs/monsters all attacking at once. I'd say the easiest way to reproduce the problem for me would be to farm for keys in either the Tokuno Citadel, of the Malas Bedlam dungeons.

When the problem occurs, my UO window simply freezes, no black screens, no forced closing, nothing. Everything just stops moving. I have to manually close the window using the red X on the top right. Doing so, windows tells me the program has stopped responding. I have to completely close the UO client window and restart from the patcher to keep playing, often at the expense of my character's life.

I've tried a various methods of preventing the crashes to no avail:
*Setting particle detail to "low"
*Setting particle filter to "none"
*Disabling all audio in the client
*Several other tricks proposed by fellow players*

The only thing I haven't done yet is completely removing the client and starting over from scratch

I can easily crash my client up to 4 times per hour without much effort. It's seriously putting a damper on my regular playing habits...

I'm willing to put up any kind of additional info / try out any situations you can think of to help find a resolution to this issue.
Does it happen when clicking / dragging healthbars with a spell cursor up? Because that's what happens to me. 4 times now

Bluewolf10th

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it happen when clicking / dragging healthbars with a spell cursor up? Because that's what happens to me. 4 times now
Nope, it can happen to me while standing stock-still (staying invisible while dragon fights) and then I'll notice I'm frozen when I want to move from my spot. Most of the times, I'll freeze when I'm running from a monster, hence the fact that I wake up dead when I log back in.

Let me note that I die because I freeze, and not that I freeze because I die. I know because I've sometimes been able to log back in before I completely lose my Hp . Still end up dead though. :-/

Last edited:

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, I can happen to me while standing stock-still (staying invisible while dragon fights) and then I'll notice I'm frozen when I want to move from my spot. Most of the times, I'll freeze when I'm running from a monster, hence the fact that I wake up dead when I log back in.

Let me note that I die because I freeze, and not that I freeze because I die. I know because I've sometimes been able to log back in before I completely lose my Hp . Still end up dead though. :-/
Ah, well maybe my issue is the same then, because i cannot recreate it in town, only when i'm surrounded by hostile mobs. However, it's happened 4 times on my mage tamer and never on my sampire.

Another Lamer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be very blunt, I've been playing UO for around 15 years and have just returned from a break of 12 months. I am absolutely shocked of the poor build of the new EC client...........I PvP and now I'm having to consider going back to 2d because the client crashes almost every time I go into battle with other players. I'm tired of the screen freeze/not responding crash.

I wouldn't be so annoyed if it wasn't for the fact we actually play a subscription for this. I mean it's a great idea combining EC with Pincos etc.......but at least test it properly or give the 'customers' a choice of using a stable EC client before forcing them to use the new and blatantly untested one............oh and don't even got me started on the lag I'm getting!

The only positive I've seen in the last month is that the issue over casting spells (OR NOT BEING ABLE TO!) has been fixed.........I would love to know how that issue went live.

In a nutshell.........WHERE THE HELL ARE THE BUG TESTERS?!

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak apparently you are the EC go to man.... Can we get an update on the EC stability?

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I am having problems with crashes and sound too,

Sound will completely disappear until I reopen the settings and click apply again and then sound appears. Not only when you got lightning on the weapon, as I has happened to me, even on my tamer, suddenly sound goes....

The crashes for me a bit more severe, I run in full screen mode, so when I does crash, the whole comp gets frozen and I have to restart comp, I dont even have choice to get to desktop....

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Update...

On the weekend I completed about 5 champ spawn runs a few lv6 & 7 Tmaps and a Corgul with no client crashing. .

Previously I would have crashed an died at each of them....

Bluewolf10th

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Update...

On the weekend I completed about 5 champ spawn runs a few lv6 & 7 Tmaps and a Corgul with no client crashing. .

Previously I would have crashed an died at each of them....
Glad to hear it.

Unfortunately, I still crash on Lake Superior. Almost died just now, doing the Dryad quest inside the Blighted Grove, because of a client freeze. I was on my paladin archer this time, instead of my tamer.