• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Easter Events?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are we getting any fun Easter Events this year?

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not too late, sonomas having an EM easter event tonite. its just like the last couple years, EM run events that most cant make it to

O

Old Man of UO

Yep... I see Sherry the Mouse on LS is announcing an event for Sunday now too.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Raising of the undead Greater Mutant Elder Heyzoos in random mining cave locations. The bloody blanket rare spawns for thieves to lift from cave. Holiday named bread and booze. Event ends hunting down Cuasca for a one per shard and facet Bloody Spear of Destiny

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, GL just had a visit from 'a mutated easter bunny' and his clicky squirrel statue. :D

O

Old Man of UO

Hmmmmm never too late it seems. I ain't letting the cat outta the bag, but there is definately something in store for Easter :D Some cool things at that!!
That's nice, but wouldn't you get more participants by announcing it ahead of time?

Won't we see a protest post by Popps because they didn't announce it ahead of time? LOL... sorry, Popps...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's nice, but wouldn't you get more participants by announcing it ahead of time?
Why would the people who plan these things want more people to get "stuff"? Haven't you noticed that for the last couple of years while the game's been in a downward spiral subscription-wise, events are always scheduled for and designed to reward the people who rarely log out and/or who are best buddies with Mesanna and the EMs. The rest of us who always seem to miss out on the EM appearances and the special events are just the stupid schmucks who keep paying our subscription fees to help keep the game running for the elite of UO....

S

Sevin0oo0

I never understood why EM events aren't announced in uHall, since this is kinda a central hub. I know they have have their own sections where they announce regular get-togethers and have discussions, some even with separate web sites, but... even a small tag for the special ones would be extremely helpful. Even if a locked thread, it'd be like shooting off a rocket giving notice to "continue reading..." on the appropriate page. I'm not a regular event goer, just don't have the time, but I think a lot of people's time is spent in here, then neither the time nor energy is left to dive into yet another forum section in hopes of possibly interesting play content.
I know many have said "Huh? what event?". EM events often involve Dev participation if I'm not mistaken to make a little named widget or whatever, not to mention the other preparations they do - just seems a small announcement might be cool for folks - Especially if they intertwine the arc, imo.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not all events are announced. The Easter bunny on GL was a surprise, though not a big shock. It announced itself in global chat, giving anyone bothering to pay attention the opportunity for a prize. It said that it would be back later, thus more people will have opportunities.

Most EMs announce their events in-game via the Town Criers and the Sherry statues. The also have their forums here and most shards have specific websites at uoem.net (shardname.uoem.net).

If people are to lazy to bother checking those resources on a semi-regular basis then they don't deserve the right to pancake and whine. Period.

S

Sevin0oo0

could the same be said for the re-posting of Herald announcements? if you're too lazy to go there...

edit: i'm just trying to encourage participation, awareness and planning for players

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Participation, being mostly on the player's part, includes bothering to learn the when and the were. Especially when most EMs a good about posting things.

While I completely agree that the vast majority of events should be posted beforehand, it's the player's job to read it. However, spur of the moment and surprise mini events are nice too. We should encourage the EMs interact with the community more, not complain when they do.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a big difference between missing out on events because you don't know about them and missing out on events because they're consistently scheduled for times when you are either at work or doing things with your family. And no, not everyone who plays on North American shards actually lives their life as if they live on the East coast.

Our guild includes people living in the Pacific, Mountain, and Central time zones. Our most consistent time to be online together in UO is between 2:00 am and 5:00 am Eastern Time. We live in the U.S. and Canada and I'm pretty sure none of us speaks or reads Japanese.

The EM program does absolutely zip for players like us. And it's pretty much pointless to even say anything to complain about it because there are invariably a handful of people who act like it's OUR problem that we have jobs and lives that don't make it possible to be online earlier in the day. And yet, we pay the same subscription price as everyone else to support the EM program but get next to nothing out of it. I so wish EA would instead use the money to hire one or two full-time employees to design events that every player can enjoy on their own schedule. A pipe dream, I guess and one I'll get blasted for even expressing. No, somehow to some people it makes far more sense for a game that's floundering beyond belief to continue to plan activities as if players are all still teenagers and twenty-somethings who have no lives, no responsibilities outside the game. Yes, that's why the game is soooo darn successful. /sarcasm

Shelra

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Easter Unicorn just visited Chessy, and stayed quite a while making sure everyone got to click the statue as it was moved around Luna. She also visited Fel. For those that missed it on Chessy tonight, the Easter Unicorn will be back tomorrow, although she didn't state times. Could be in and out throughout the day. Happy Easter everyone!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a big difference between missing out on events because you don't know about them and missing out on events because they're consistently scheduled for times when you are either at work or doing things with your family. And no, not everyone who plays on North American shards actually lives their life as if they live on the East coast.

Our guild includes people living in the Pacific, Mountain, and Central time zones. Our most consistent time to be online together in UO is between 2:00 am and 5:00 am Eastern Time. We live in the U.S. and Canada and I'm pretty sure none of us speaks or reads Japanese.

The EM program does absolutely zip for players like us. And it's pretty much pointless to even say anything to complain about it because there are invariably a handful of people who act like it's OUR problem that we have jobs and lives that don't make it possible to be online earlier in the day. And yet, we pay the same subscription price as everyone else to support the EM program but get next to nothing out of it. I so wish EA would instead use the money to hire one or two full-time employees to design events that every player can enjoy on their own schedule. A pipe dream, I guess and one I'll get blasted for even expressing. No, somehow to some people it makes far more sense for a game that's floundering beyond belief to continue to plan activities as if players are all still teenagers and twenty-somethings who have no lives, no responsibilities outside the game. Yes, that's why the game is soooo darn successful. /sarcasm
Somehow I doubt that even 30-something 'contract employees' of EA (source) make enough to tip the balance in favor of hiring a few devs, especially when the pesky matter of benefits is considered, and the fact that you have to pay people enough to actually move to Virginia whereas EMs presumably can do what they do from where-ever it is they happen to live. (I have seen no evidence that suggests the EMs move to Virginia to do their work.) And then you have to consider the fact that EA proper appears to have little interest in UO aside from cashing the checks it brings in and thus I've seen little reason to believe they'd do significant hiring for UO pretty much ever. If people who find new positions get replaced I would be very, very happy.

Every event in UO history that was scheduled for a specific time has people who can't make it, whether it's EM-led or global. Indeed long before the EM program was in existence I do believe I remember complaints by the Europa players about how they consistently couldn't attend official events, the primary offender being the climax of Plague of Despair. (So much for hiring a few devs fixing your issue...There's still great potential for you to miss stuff. And somehow I suspect there's more people on Europa than there is in your guild.)

This is why multiple kinds of content, some persistent and some occasional, are present in this game.

You, Tina, have shown little actual interest in EM events, indeed you've been openly hostile to them and the idea of them, yet you are using your own lack of ability to attend them as the newest weapon in your bizarre crusade. In other circumstances this would be considered quite creative, I simply consider it a flawed argument. Around here, though, that's often one's ticket to fame and popularity.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Galen, if you're interested in making personal attacks, how about we discuss why someone who roleplays a rares dealer always tries to justify this whole situation with EMs as being good for the game? Does it perhaps suit your purposes just fine that things are structured so that a small minority of players consistently have access to rares and make a profit from them? Perhaps you are one of the EMs who designs these events and you feel like your monthly paycheck from UO is being put in jeopardy every time this discussion comes up?

Tell me, please, in your heart do you really think this situation is FAIR and JUST to players around the world who contribute towards keeping UO running? Or do you just sit back and laugh at people like me who rail about this situation, because you know it's never gonna change? Too many people are personally making a profit from it and EA simply doesn't give a damn.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Galen, if you're interested in making personal attacks, how about we discuss why someone who roleplays a rares dealer always tries to justify this whole situation with EMs as being good for the game? Does it perhaps suit your purposes just fine that things are structured so that a small minority of players consistently have access to rares and make a profit from them? Perhaps you are one of the EMs who designs these events and you feel like your monthly paycheck from UO is being put in jeopardy every time this discussion comes up?

Tell me, please, in your heart do you really think this situation is FAIR and JUST to players around the world who contribute towards keeping UO running? Or do you just sit back and laugh at people like me who rail about this situation, because you know it's never gonna change? Too many people are personally making a profit from it and EA simply doesn't give a damn.
I have fairly and accurately represented the nature of your arguments, Tina. It is not my fault if you do not like what's in the mirror, and it is not my fault that you resort to personal attacks to respond. You oft-use that technique against me, whether it's in ICQ or Stratics.

Or do you really think that this issue is somehow about fairness and justice on one side and evil folks like me who laugh at good and kind folks like you? What was your exact quote?

Or do you just sit back and laugh at people like me who rail about this situation, because you know it's never gonna change?
Since you appear in other circumstances to be smarter than that, I can reasonably come to but one conclusion and that is you're doing about the same thing that you did when you made up a quote from me about calling smaller shards "backwaters."

(And since when is one person's being unable to attend an event a "situation." Plenty of other things to do in this game.)

Now, again, Tina, this has made you a popular girl, well-liked and too-often believed. But it can't make you credible in any kind of empirical or verifiable sense.

Galen was an antiques dealer long before EM events. Once upon a time it was power scrolls, vanquishing weapons, and the like; then it was Doom Artifacts; then it was Treasures of Tokuno.

Your argumentative strategy is to drag in so much that sooner or later your opponents simply lack time and space to respond appropriately, hence you usually appear to get the last, if not the most correct, word in every argument. I guess that'll work on me in this thread sooner or later. Who knows, maybe it already has.

-Galen's player

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes we're getting Easter events, the Easter bunny is making the rounds of most shards, you don't have to read a forum, just log in to general chat.
If you can't find the time to read the relevent forums for events, set yourself an rss feed. We're not about to clog UHall with event notifications from every shard.
Tina and Galen, take it to pm's. This thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.