• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Easing into the expansion! Some questions

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Im looking for a good template for doing the special encounters for the upcoming expansion, and I thought Id come on here and ask what everyone's thoughts are on not only skills and gear being viable, but what is viable mastery wise for PVM. Caster style.

The big question i have is first and foremost, masteries! So is it like spell focusing where i cant have necromancy if i want magery? Or is it the tomes only and you can only have one tome active (and it dosent matter what your non magery based other skills are). Been doing some reading and this and ive seen people saying different things.

Secondly, and to acknowledge that the above question would definately change up the template, what is everyones oppinion on a caster PVM spawn/encounter template on the high end? What mastery should I focus on getting first and why? Are they even useful to a point where i should be excited?

Lastly, what should i be focusing on gear wise? Has luck seen any new improvement? Should i focus on stacking spell damage? Just looking for a good site of focus beyond the mandantory 100lrc 40lmc 70's ect.

What are you guys going to focus on in Time of Legends? If its from a caster perspective, id really be interested in hearing about it. Paladins/Tamers/Warriors just arnt for me.

I hate that i am not a trailblazer at theorycrafting in games, and i know alot of you wont want to give good secrets away, but any help in a good direction is most appreciated.

Thanks!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
So is it like spell focusing where i cant have necromancy if i want magery?
No. You can have both skills on your template it doesn't have any effect either way. You can have both mastery books eaten/read. But you can only have one mastery active at any one time. You can change active mastery every 10 minutes using the context menu on the book.

What is everyones oppinion on a caster PVM spawn/encounter template on the high end? What mastery should I focus on getting first and why? Are they even useful to a point where i should be excited?
Necro and Mysticism templates are still king, with Necro being able to dish out more damage and Mysticism being more defensive, in the general sense, however, Mysticism will be better overall for the new content. Necro and Spellweaving have the best masteries, the Mage and Myst ones are pretty crap tbh. I'd be excited for the Necro and Spellweaving ones, I'm not telling you why, it's fun finding out. :p

Lastly, what should i be focusing on gear wise? Has luck seen any new improvement? Should i focus on stacking spell damage? Just looking for a good site of focus beyond the mandantory 100lrc 40lmc 70's ect.
Luck hasn't changed. Yes you should stack as much SDI as possible as there is no cap.

What are you guys going to focus on in Time of Legends? If its from a caster perspective, id really be interested in hearing about it. Paladins/Tamers/Warriors just arnt for me.
Farming the Shadowguard encounter over and over and over until I have a full set of all the Talisman and no longer need to Imbue the Slayer property on anything, getting the new robe/cloak and some other bits.

Good question!

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
You rock!

SO what would a top end template look like? And yeah, ill have to experiment with masteries!

Was thinking:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Spirit Speak
120 Necromancy
120 Spellweaving
120 Med

With a mage weapon? Maybe some intense SDI gear, perhaps 80-100 sdi, I dont know what cap is but i remember Ive hit over 100 before without trying too hard

Myst isnt really my bag, minus the collosus lol, so im really digging what you say about necro and SW, theyve always been my favorites, please tell me what you think about it!

Does real skill make a huge difference in mastery? Or does it calculate skills from rings too into the magnifier?

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I would aim for an end template of:
100 Mage (+20 Crystalline Ring, -15-20 Mage Weapon)
120 Myst
100 Focus (+20 Crystalline Ring)
100 Necro
100 SS
120 Spellweaving (because 2.5 points does nothing anywhere else and this may affect the Mastery)
80 Poisoning
I saw your post here in another thread, this looks amazing! I think ill start with this! Ya, no need for eval imo, thanks again!

The real question now that i have is - Does mastery strength scale with real skill or with skill bonuses as well!? Cause I was really hoping to take advantage of some of those necro masteries!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Yes, the real skill values do affect the masteries.

Necro is most powerful when combined with Mage/Eval. I can't recall what response that second template was from but it probably wasn't intending to use masteries.

EliteEmpire

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yes, the real skill values do affect the masteries.

Necro is most powerful when combined with Mage/Eval. I can't recall what response that second template was from but it probably wasn't intending to use masteries.
Why is that? I just dont know the synergy between magery/eval and necro spells, can you please explain?

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
120 Spellweaving
80 Poison
40 Meditation

? Trying to get this put together before TOL launch, lol, proving to be quite a challenge

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Why is that? I just dont know the synergy between magery/eval and necro spells, can you please explain?

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
120 Spellweaving
80 Poison
40 Meditation

? Trying to get this put together before TOL launch, lol, proving to be quite a challenge
Lots of reasons. Think about damage types... with Magery you've got strong spells for Fire and Energy damage, and to an extent Physical with Earthquake (the extent that you can't use it everywhere), with Necro you have spells for Cold and Poison damage. A lot of the Necro curses work well in conjunction with Magery spells. Corpse Skin lowers Fire and you have high Fire damage spells. Evil Omen boosts damage further, and has other effects with regards to Poison, Mana Drain, Curse, Parra, plus it's cast time means you can combo it on what at first glance might look like instant damage spells. For example you can Chain Lightning/Evil Omen, landing the Omen before the damage of the Lightning so it receives the damage boost.

Magery, Eval, Necro and SS are very easy to work. Do Necro/SS first. Use the ledges in Underworld by the Acid Slugs, Wraith Form for endless mana. If for some reason your SS was lower than your Necro you can gain it fast just spamming Curse Weapon. Magery use a -29 Mage Weapon, for Eval you can spam Create Food. Have Focus/Med capped while training, use a Shadow Wisp, use max LMC/MR that you have available to you. I've just worked Necro/SS on a shard I have nothing on but a bare minimum LRC 2/6 suit and got Necro/SS to the 90's within two days, with the right gear available it can be done in 1 day to GM. Eat any scrolls as early as possible.