• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA's intent with factions

L

Locryn Finck

A simple question: What do you think EA's intentions are for the faction system?

Faction rank to buy artifacts is one thing. The way it is being used is another. But beyond the notion of essentially "free" artifacts, there is also the issue of their bonus stats. Even if they were free, it would lure a certain group of pvpr who couldn't afford the trimmings otherwise. But with the enhancements, EA made it clear they want to entice the ENTIRETY of the pvp population. After all, even with the downsides of faction (watered down as they may be), what self respecting hardcore pvpr WOULDN'T want a leg up on those out there wearing the "standard" artifacts. For example, the mana regeneration on the ornament is a massive improvement rather than a small tweak like higher resists. It makes that version of the ornament indispensable to serious pvprs. So EA's goal is clear: Entice.

So, some time passes and here we find ourselves: Most of the pvp population from what I have seen is now factions. Great! More fights, more faction style play, more assaults, etc. Right?

Maybe.

The 20 minutes of statloss is an interesting thing. It gives a real feeling of importance and weight to each fight and each death. But, it also makes the first raiders on a faction champ spawn the likely winner (since no possibility exists to res and return with a full force) and most people have no interest in offending their egos with more statloss deaths.

In the end, it leads to staccato bursts of action, followed by significant downtime. It also changes the dynamic of champ spawns and harrowers in a big way. The advantage surely goes to the second to show up on the scene.

Good or bad, right or wrong, these things are now in play. And EA seems to have their sights set on more changes to come. Do you think the changes with the artifacts are going to be scaled back, or ramped up? Is EA's intention to enroll every pvp interested player in factions? Will they reduce penalty to increase participation? What concerns do you have about it?

O

OxAO

When you travel to tram areas faction stuff should just fall off. But anyone that wants to use it that is in factions should be able to no matter what 'score' you have.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you travel to tram areas faction stuff should just fall off. But anyone that wants to use it that is in factions should be able to no matter what 'score' you have.
Or how about they fix the point exploits, such that people will have to actually participate to wear the artifacts? If this occurs, it shouldn't matter where they wear the artifacts, because the real issue should be participation in Factions.

Not what else they do with that character besides Factions.

Shouldn't it?

Following the logic, the artifacts should also fall off when you go do a Champ Spawn. Because while a Factioner could stumble across you and a Faction fght could happen, it's not like you're doing the Champ Spawn to provoke a Faction fight.

-Galen's player

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Following the logic, the artifacts should also fall off when you go do a Champ Spawn. Because while a Factioner could stumble across you and a Faction fght could happen, it's not like you're doing the Champ Spawn to provoke a Faction fight.

-Galen's player
Auctually yea we do.... I don't know how many times we have said something like. "I'm bored..... Lets see if we can get a fight by chaining dsp."

It is one of the quickest ways to get a non house fight.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or how about they fix the point exploits, such that people will have to actually participate to wear the artifacts? If this occurs, it shouldn't matter where they wear the artifacts, because the real issue should be participation in Factions.
This wouldn't fix it all, they still have arties that can be worn without any points required.

it's not like you're doing the Champ Spawn to provoke a Faction fight.

Yeah we do.

Do you even play factions?

L

Locryn Finck

I would have a hard time seeing tram faction pvp, or the artifacts falling off. I think they want as many players as possible to enroll in the faction system, and to make it a compelling daily activity to cross over into felucca for. It seems like they are approaching this two basic ways:

*Resolve point/scoring issues and reset everything

*Make base invasions a more relevant and common activity

With the recent shift toward "quests" in UO, I could also easily see NPCs at the bases giving repeatable missions.

C

Cloak&Dagger

-Galen's player
You should have taken a slightly different approach to this argument, the game mechanics were not put in place to provoke faction fighting were they?

People know that the faction guilds are really only spawning guilds on most shards so x spawning guild says "we can do a bunch of spawns and possibly end up fighting" usually would be correct, but its not what that portion of the game was meant for.

either way I do not see why a faction char should be limited to either a: having two suits or b: be restricted to fel / unable to participate in tram. All of my chars are in factions as all of them are in my guilds, I always wish to interact with my guild no matter what char I am on and if I am pvping or crafting. Well my case does not make my argument. But still why should they be limited to having to put on different items in tram, if I had to I would just use set "tram" instead of ever bothering with the faction items, they are not required, they just make life easier, more so on new chars or template changes.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if I had to I would just use set "tram" instead of ever bothering with the faction items, they are not required, they just make life easier, more so on new chars or template changes.
For everyone person who plays factions consistently and uses the arties, there are probably another 10 people that get them and just stay in trammel.

If that requires me to build an extra suit and/or char to do things in trammel, then it's well worth the trade.

I'm unsure why some of your characters, such as your crafter, would need faction arties anyways.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1649391 said:
You should have taken a slightly different approach to this argument, the game mechanics were not put in place to provoke faction fighting were they?
You do realize I'm not the one arguing that the artifacts should fall off, right?

either way I do not see why a faction char should be limited to either a: having two suits or b: be restricted to fel / unable to participate in tram. All of my chars are in factions as all of them are in my guilds, I always wish to interact with my guild no matter what char I am on and if I am pvping or crafting. Well my case does not make my argument. But still why should they be limited to having to put on different items in tram, if I had to I would just use set "tram" instead of ever bothering with the faction items, they are not required, they just make life easier, more so on new chars or template changes.
You do realize I'm not the one arguing that the artifacts should fall off, right?

I'm saying, those people who want the item to fall off in Trammel, should also want it to fall off in any non-Faction situation, including a Champ Spawn.

I agree with you that Faction Players shouldn't have to have two suits, one for Felucca (regardless of if one is actively engaging Factions or not) and one for the rest of the map.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For everyone person who plays factions consistently and uses the arties, there are probably another 10 people that get them and just stay in trammel.
People say this but I've only seen this a handful of times. Certainly not the 1 to 10 ratio that you cite.

Most of the people I see in Trammel with Faction Artifacts are Factioners who are taking a rest.

What I see a lot more often are non-Faction Felucca players who use the items to do non-Faction Felucca activities, such as Champ Spawns or Harrowers, but ignore Factions aside from the occasional Yew Gate fight.

And I don't even see that much since I moved to Great Lakes.

-Galen's player

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People say this but I've only seen this a handful of times. Certainly not the 1 to 10 ratio that you cite.

You can go to uo.com and look. It's most likely not 1 in 10, it was an exaggeration to make a point. Hence the word "probably".

What I see a lot more often are non-Faction Felucca players who use the items to do non-Faction Felucca activities, such as Champ Spawns or Harrowers, but ignore Factions aside from the occasional Yew Gate fight.
That's pretty much what factions is drawn down to anymore. At least they're factions and are in fel giving the opportunity for a fight. Sounds like a faction activity to me, especially when sigils corrupt and purify for 3 days.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rather than bug you with reality, I'll just give you the answer you want.

Of course I don't actually play Factions, I'm a Trammie.

However, all of my characters are in Factions, and I find the Faction Artifacts to be of great use when I tame Cus and take 30 people to to chain Lady Melisandes.

With 30 people, all of whom are clothed head-to-toe in Faction Artifacts of course, and all of whom have exploited Cus with super stats, and all running healing scripts, it only takes us 1.5 hours on average per Mel, not counting the 2 hours it takes us to get 2 sets of keys and only 15 of us are dead at any given time.

-Galen's player

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
C

Cloak&Dagger

I'm saying, those people who want the item to fall off in Trammel, should also want it to fall off in any non-Faction situation, including a Champ Spawn.

I agree with you that Faction Players shouldn't have to have two suits, one for Felucca (regardless of if one is actively engaging Factions or not) and one for the rest of the map.

-Galen's player
Yes I do, I was not arguing with you but rather backing you up. Perhaps it came off wrong but I was just simply saying that would have been a better argument. Also after the comment about making a more solid argument was mostly at everyone else and had nothing to do with you. I realize I only quoted you but I didn't at that time feel the need to respond to anyone directly, aside from enhancing your argument with the fact that champ spawns are not a game mechanic of factions. Sorry if it sounded other wise. Cheers :)

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The real answer, if indeed it does matter: Yes.

I don't get that impression. If you do, you seem to understand very little about it, which leads me to believe there is some truth to your previous statement.

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i just cant believe ALL the posts i see about people wearing faction gear in tram.. i mean with the 100000000000000 things they could FIX in factions/PVP you guys stress over armor?.. and something like this do you honestly think anyone on the dev team gives two ****s about trammies wearing faction armor? and there is only one way to prevent trammies from wearing the armor and thats for it to drop in there pack when they leave fel... and they will NOT do something like this LMFAO.

- o and with all this imbueing and how rich 99.9% of the trammies are.. i dont think ANYONE's suit would be ****ed up without faction arties.. my mages suit is 16MR 50EP 60DCI 40LMC w/crazy int/hp bonus's all 70's corpsed, the only faction item i use is the crimson..

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't get that impression. If you do, you seem to understand very little about it, which leads me to believe there is some truth to your previous statement.
And this would be why I really should have just left it at telling you what you wanted to hear. Because what you wanted to hear would be what you would hear, regardless of what the actual truth is.

*shrugs*

Yes, I play Factions and I understand that point exploiting is a more important issue than the fact that people you don't approve of play Factions.

-Galen's player

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And this would be why I really should have just left it at telling you what you wanted to hear. Because what you wanted to hear would be what you would hear, regardless of what the actual truth is.
You didn't have to make anything up, you left the impression that you didn't know what you were talking about anyways.

I never disapproved of anyone playing factions though, and the point exploit is yet another problem. I've made an entire thread on this and a few other problems. Feel free to read it.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The real answer, if indeed it does matter: Yes.

-Galen's player
lol Why would it matter if you played factions?... Seriouslly... why would it matter... It would probably make no difference if people who were completely ignorant of how the factions worked were given the power to change the way factions worked and help implement features THEY think would improve a system that they don't even know or understand...

Oh wait... EA already did this when they removed the the faction balance and allowed all characters per account to play factions.. That went over really well. Now everyone has all characters in factions and once they die can come right back on another geared and pvp ready character.

Oh yeah and then they did again when they made a focus group to put in the next set of genius ideas. During which they managed to pick 200 or so people, 4 or 5 of which had relevant faction experience. The disaster that followed that focus group has crippled the factions to the jacked up system we have today....

I believe the next set of changes are coming from another focus group that is again comprised of a good amount of those members of the first worthless focus group...

So yeah... why would it matter if you had faction experience? If you are not intelligent enough to know that answer its probably really not even worth wasting my time to explain it any further..

btw... To the people of that worthless focus group members..... Thanks for the help..

C

CannabisKing

I think most of us have put in our "wish list" at one time or another. In the end, the dev's will once again try to pull a Rabbit outa the brown lunch bag that their spouse packed. TBH tho....... Who really cares! We, the active PvPer's know that over the course of many yr's and chances to fix this and that they have dropped the ball more then once. For me tho, Im just gonna wait and see what good comes outa this mess....
But I feel the need to express this, Faction tram's or not? Who cares really? Drop the arties when ya leave fel, its that simple. Points, Well cap it off to some number that makes the dev's feel like they did something right for once.
Funny thing here too is, the fact that "we" the players over all have not given the dev's any kinda credit for the hard work they have done, even if its messed up. I just wish I can get that Job working on UO to "make it better", cuz Ive got some killer idea's.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think most of us have put in our "wish list" at one time or another. In the end, the dev's will once again try to pull a Rabbit outa the brown lunch bag that their spouse packed. TBH tho....... Who really cares! We, the active PvPer's know that over the course of many yr's and chances to fix this and that they have dropped the ball more then once. For me tho, Im just gonna wait and see what good comes outa this mess....
But I feel the need to express this, Faction tram's or not? Who cares really? Drop the arties when ya leave fel, its that simple. Points, Well cap it off to some number that makes the dev's feel like they did something right for once.
Funny thing here too is, the fact that "we" the players over all have not given the dev's any kinda credit for the hard work they have done, even if its messed up. I just wish I can get that Job working on UO to "make it better", cuz Ive got some killer idea's.
ehhh...I think its safe to say... when people complain its the players way of giving the devs their well earned credit... So yeah.. we should give them more credit for ****ing **** up..

As for capping points... why? WTF was wrong with the old system that worked pretty ****ing good.

The point system wasn't the god damn problem.. the rank system was, which was based off the point system. The problem is the dead accounts that ****ed the balance system, which ****ed up the rank system... There is a ton of **** wrong related to the point system but the point system itself was absolutely fine. If anything needed to change there needed to be 'point regeneration' when you were under 0 so the people less accustomed to pvp wouldn't be stuck at -6 forever.

Why should the devs feel like they have accomplished anything other than a good job collecting their pay check.. From my point of view.. thats all they should get credit for because my game play has been ****ed and re****ed every god damn patch. It's like they raise their hand to give me a high five and then when I go to give it back they kick me in the balls...

**** that... I'll give them credit when they do the simple thing that we asked for.. Fix the problems.... It's pretty god damn simple.

C

CannabisKing

I ty for jarring my toughts. "The point system wasn't the god damn problem.. the rank system was, which was based off the point system. The problem is the dead accounts that ****ed the balance system, which ****ed up the rank system... There is a ton of **** wrong related to the point system but the point system itself was absolutely fine"

I wasnt trying to get hung up on the points more so then the system it self. Yeah it does need to be fixxed in a bad way. But correct me if Im wrong. If a acct is down for a while, doesnt EA just purge thier system of it too? I can almost recall that from like AOS daze?

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ty for jarring my toughts. "The point system wasn't the god damn problem.. the rank system was, which was based off the point system. The problem is the dead accounts that ****ed the balance system, which ****ed up the rank system... There is a ton of **** wrong related to the point system but the point system itself was absolutely fine"

I wasnt trying to get hung up on the points more so then the system it self. Yeah it does need to be fixxed in a bad way. But correct me if Im wrong. If a acct is down for a while, doesnt EA just purge thier system of it too? I can almost recall that from like AOS daze?
No. A player is in the factions until he quits it. That is why an account can go inactive for 6 months and come back on and still have points that have not fully decayed..

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WATCH IT BERE!

Kelmo is trolling you!!... and you're forum account is in danger.... be very very still..

Just don't move..... he can't see u if you don't move....

I'm going to be very careful, I woudn't want him to blink again....

C

CannabisKing

No. A player is in the factions until he quits it. That is why an account can go inactive for 6 months and come back on and still have points that have not fully decayed..
This I do know, @least I always did fer as long as I've played factions.

Ahh but now I do recall it right. Its not the acct's that got purged, it was the under skilled toon's on acct's.
And like I said, I recall that from like AOS daze when ya almost felt under the gun to play all toons to where they werent purged.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh but now I do recall it right. Its not the acct's that got purged, it was the under skilled toon's on acct's.
And like I said, I recall that from like AOS daze when ya almost felt under the gun to play all toons to where they werent purged.

I don't recall them ever being purged for any reason.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't recall them ever being purged for any reason.
I'm not sure I recall any characters being taken off for inactivity either. I do remember talk about it.. But as I recall it was talk from the irrelevant people.... us the players... the devs didn't really say anything.. and back then they certainly didn't do anything..

Cadderly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ehhh...I think its safe to say... when people complain its the players way of giving the devs their well earned credit... So yeah.. we should give them more credit for ****ing **** up..

As for capping points... why? WTF was wrong with the old system that worked pretty ****ing good.

The point system wasn't the god damn problem.. the rank system was, which was based off the point system. The problem is the dead accounts that ****ed the balance system, which ****ed up the rank system... There is a ton of **** wrong related to the point system but the point system itself was absolutely fine. If anything needed to change there needed to be 'point regeneration' when you were under 0 so the people less accustomed to pvp wouldn't be stuck at -6 forever.

Why should the devs feel like they have accomplished anything other than a good job collecting their pay check.. From my point of view.. thats all they should get credit for because my game play has been ****ed and re****ed every god damn patch. It's like they raise their hand to give me a high five and then when I go to give it back they kick me in the balls...

**** that... I'll give them credit when they do the simple thing that we asked for.. Fix the problems.... It's pretty god damn simple.
I applaud these statement... well said

btw I spit up some beer when I read, " It's like they raise there hand to give me a high five and then I go to give it back and they kick me in the balls"

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I applaud these statement... well said

btw I spit up some beer when I read, " It's like they raise there hand to give me a high five and then I go to give it back and they kick me in the balls"
It's true. They always say they are going to address the factions and try and add or take a look at some aspect of it and then complete **** something up.

God...you get that huge twisted feeling in your stomach when you hear about the **** they are supposed to fix and then it drives you up a ****ing wall when they **** you over. And there isn't **** we can do about it. They are a bottom tier skeleton crew with the sole purpose of milking this titty for all its worth and not a damn thing else...

When the rumors of UO2 were floating around back in the day the whole 'UO is getting shelved' rumors came with them. When UO2 died no one realized it but UO got shelved at the same time. Not many fixes,, just new thoughtless content that gets old in 4 months and completely unbalances pvp...

And it wont change, success is not in UO's future, survival is... they just want to keep the same subscribers to pay some bills.

lol

C

CannabisKing

It's true. They always say they are going to address the factions and try and add or take a look at some aspect of it and then complete **** something up.

God...you get that huge twisted feeling in your stomach when you hear about the **** they are supposed to fix and then it drives you up a ****ing wall when they **** you over. And there isn't **** we can do about it. They are a bottom tier skeleton crew with the sole purpose of milking this titty for all its worth and not a damn thing else...

When the rumors of UO2 were floating around back in the day the whole 'UO is getting shelved' rumors came with them. When UO2 died no one realized it but UO got shelved at the same time. Not many fixes,, just new thoughtless content that gets old in 4 months and completely unbalances pvp...

And it wont change, success is not in UO's future, survival is... they just want to keep the same subscribers to pay some bills.

lol
At this point in time, and sacrifice, the player's for the last 10 yr's ++ feel every word but most cant put it out like that. :gun::thumbup1: Does UO owe us anything? Depends on wut side of the line your on. I'd be happy with something....... Nothing new! Fix fix fix etc.... Just maybe if ya built it, they will come back, out look from these leachs need to be heard. :bs::please:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your most welcome Galen. Besides bere didn't your quit the game and factions again?? I believe the answer is yes.
The answer is yes, although I'm not sure what your point is. I'm still more informed than Galen is. Sad.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I have 2 things to say here.

1. Galen was part of the focus group who I have black listed from any kind of credibility.

2. Bere put his time in. Just because hes on a hiatus doesn't mean he doesn't know what hes talking about.

With that being said I don't think a focus group made up of 200 Beres would have ****ed the factions up like 200 Galens did.

Soooooooooooooooooooo....

With that being said... Bere is an archer.... EEWWWWWWWWWW

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I have 2 things to say here.

1. Galen was part of the focus group who I have black listed from any kind of credibility.

2. Bere put his time in. Just because hes on a hiatus doesn't mean he doesn't know what hes talking about.

With that being said I don't think a focus group made up of 200 Beres would have ****ed the factions up like 200 Galens did.

Soooooooooooooooooooo....

With that being said... Bere is an archer.... EEWWWWWWWWWW
My point is that Galen is playing while Bere isn't. I am not taking anything away from Bere's experience in factions, galen is playing now where as bere isn't.

My point being if you quit the game walk away from it and statics.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My point is that Galen is playing while Bere isn't. I am not taking anything away from Bere's experience in factions, galen is playing now where as bere isn't.

Awww cmon now.. whats the fun in that.

I liked to think if u put ur time in, you become a life time member of a very small club. Sort of like a hall of fame but it really has nothing to do with fame. More of a Hall of Dedication I guess. Even tho not everyone in this club gets a long I think for the most part we can all respect each other for being dedicated to playing an amazing part of the game that has been neglected and ignored for way too long..

My point is... the factions would have been scrapped just like the chaos/order system if it weren't for the people, the few, who played them through the thick and thin and maintained them until the present. People like Bere... As far as I'm concerned his deconstructive criticism is worth a lot more than some joe blow new guy who joined for the uber items after that last couple of patches...

Don't get me wrong... Bere is an archer, he barely qualifies for the Hall, but hes in it none the less.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thank you for sticking up for me and I am glad I can make a contribution.

:)

-Galen's player

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW I was sure glad to see youallabunch the other day and your one of my favorite pains in the arse so is Bere!

I am glad I am considered part of the club and darn it seems to get smaller every day! But I think in the long run, Galen will be part of it too.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW I was sure glad to see youallabunch the other day and your one of my favorite pains in the arse so is Bere!
Ya well. I tried to get out and run around, but my lag was so damn bad. All I've been able to do lately is train my characters, switch their templates around and get them better suits. I was supposed to get my connection this past wednesday but it fell through. Then I was going to get it tomorrow but I had to push it back again to this wednesday coming up. Lets hope arrangments can be made for it to work out. I miss actually being able to do something in game...

100 mb con should fix that. :)

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya well. I tried to get out and run around, but my lag was so damn bad. All I've been able to do lately is train my characters, switch their templates around and get them better suits. I was supposed to get my connection this past wednesday but it fell through. Then I was going to get it tomorrow but I had to push it back again to this wednesday coming up. Lets hope arrangments can be made for it to work out. I miss actually being able to do something in game...

100 mb con should fix that. :)
:thumbup1: