• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Eagle/Phoenix

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lowering base damage is the wrong move. Ppl in here are not suggesting that. They are talking about the movement speed.
We all know that when Mesanna swings the nerf stick, she hits with overkill.....so once again a decent pet is ruined because PvP cannot learn new tactics and just cry instead.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I'd like to see a video of that bird against a Dexer equipped with a bird slaying talisman.... betting it dies in short order...

There is a counter to most any template. Birds will likely dominate against mages... But I'm fairly sure a good dexer will cut it to shreds. 2v2 would be interesting just move the bird away from it's owner and own it... While yes the tamer is mounted he'll also have a hard time keeping up with his bird to vet it and if the second person focuses on the tamer... the bird is toast. IMO... Now I know you think I don't PvP but it's not like I haven't ever... I used to PvP quite a bit... just never cared for it. Did it when I needed to not because I liked it or wanted to.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
We all know that when Mesanna swings the nerf stick, she hits with overkill.....so once again a decent pet is ruined because PvP cannot learn new tactics and just cry instead.
You can have 42 pets now. You cry because one out of 42 of them can't follow you to your destination quite as fast, even though they can still move faster than they could before. Also you have summoning ballls and the log out/in trick.

:violin:

-Hey Arnold-

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There just going to reduce the speed to be the same as every other tamed pet...not sure why YOU are crying about this lol. This change has nothing to do with your precious pvm. You can SOLO 99% of the pvm content in this game in a imbued suit. Leave the pvp changes to people who actually pvp :).

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@Bleak

I would suggest not touching the base damage of the Phoenix so some of these ppl won't have a heart attack. The problem is the movement speed, not the base damage. Also pets being able to dismount while the owner stays mounted is problematic

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They would still be fast, but not fast enough to cause an imbalance in the game which is very important

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There just going to reduce the speed to be the same as every other tamed pet...not sure why YOU are crying about this lol. This change has nothing to do with your precious pvm. You can SOLO 99% of the pvm content in this game in a imbued suit. Leave the pvp changes to people who actually pvp :).

But apparently YOU cant kill this bird. Guess you wouldn't be good at PvM.

Note: I didn't reply to @cobb So don't accuse me of stalking. And since there is a video showing that PvPers really don't want any challenges Ill leave unless someone quotes my post.

Thanks for the nerf. Yall whiners always nerf our stuff. They could slow down pets in Fel. But NO, they need to have an all around nerf. I guess Lady Melisande complained.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Note: I didn't reply to @cobb So don't accuse me of stalking. And since there is a video showing that PvPers really don't want any challenges Ill leave unless someone quotes my post.

Thanks for the nerf. Yall whiners always nerf our stuff. They could slow down pets in Fel. But NO, they need to have an all around nerf. I guess Lady Melisande complained.
She should. Don't even get me started on how overpowered this whole publish was in regards to pvm.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So twenty blues won't be storming Yew gate periodically unleashing havoc with our new pretty birds..... sad. I saw this as a good answer to speed hacks and stuff that would actually bring us Trammies to fel with a chance against guild raids with 5-6 players with 1-5p suits. The first thing I did with this publish was farm 40 phoenixes and got a 3 slot one with 290 or so Dex for that reason alone. :p :p Awww well... one less pet for the stables. I won't keep it after they change the graphic I bet anyway. Back to stealth in felucca as it's the only defense. :p :p *Just trolling here b/c I actually did love this bird. I haven't pvp'ed with it yet, but had just assumed that it was made for pvp in the first place to bring tamers to fel.* I've been reading this thread for 3-4 days waiting on actual pvp videos of the bird in action... :p :p Someone hook us up before it's gone!

I do fully realize that this likely does need to be nerfed though. I don't pvp at all and wouldn't because people (not all but some) are foolish enough to run hacks on their pc and open backdoors to whoever created them.... to cure, bandage, epot, and speed hack. That alone is why people in Trammel collect rares instead of putting 2p into a great suit. If you guys want to pull us in, you do know you'll have to give us a bone.... hehe. I think this is what the Devs intended with the phoenix and najasaurus. The phoenix shouldn't be able to dismount while we're on horseback or flying is the way I see it. After that I think everything would be great the way it is. If a tamer sends his pet off; he's toast. As it is w/o dimount.... he's be a pretty formidable area on the battlefield that players would just avoid.... if they nerved the dismount alone. Just saying and putting in my two cents for you guys. I enjoy everyone's views here and am still waiting for the video of Hi-5, God, or HOT or some other guild's battles with some tamers there.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The powerscrolls needed for pets have brought a TON of big numbers pvp. its a real shame the pets are hurting it so badly.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak

I would suggest not touching the base damage of the Phoenix so some of these ppl won't have a heart attack. The problem is the movement speed, not the base damage. Also pets being able to dismount while the owner stays mounted is problematic
I don't even know why it's base damage even came into the conversation. People were telling them way before publish that the speed of the thing was the problem. :/

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean, think about the scenario. You're sitting there swording his bird and he's what... gonna sit there and watch? A pver and his pet =/= a pet in the wild in any fashion. I recognize that you are just being spitefully recalcitrant, but still...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean, think about the scenario. You're sitting there swording his bird and he's what... gonna sit there and watch? A pver and his pet =/= a pet in the wild in any fashion. I recognize that you are just being spitefully recalcitrant, but still...
Somebody get a Thesaurus for their birthday? lol

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember a lot of situations in pvp (where I was at a champ spawn with family trying to farm scrolls to use a few years back....) and I would literally beat the 2 or 3 reds who would raid us EVERY TIME with the boss up. They would redline to my sampire 2 or 3 times.... but RUN (speed hacks?) and come back over and over again. Inevitably they would disarm/dismount me with the right combo and get the win as sampires cannot heal and Trammies cannot.... keep up it seems with their "ping."

The phoenix seems to scream "hey, you're not gonna run from us," which is why I liked it. It gives a great defense at spawns.... and the power scrolls are more open to everybody. I mean... the reds got rich off of this expansion with the power scrolls.... the least they can do is give Trammies a nice means to defend themselves against getting ganked over and over by speed hackers every time they try to do a spawn? Does it hurt that bad that a few tamers and peeps might go do spawns with a little more assurance?

In pvp... none of you guys are/will/would use pets anyway.... you run all over the map to different spots that you plan out before a fight usually. I watch the videos... I see people luring people to traps. I mean.... you're not gonna arena the guy with the greater dragon anyway, right? I would be more inclined to agree with the Trammies (myself and friends) here in that we need this. I'm not gonna speed hack.... so if you want to get me to a champion spawn, give my daughter/wife some way to defend themselves from speed hackers running healing scripts........... I can handle the rest and we can get our 12 power scrolls without being ganked by the same group of 3-4 every time who seem to watch every spawn for some reason ($$$.) :p :p

I'm not throwing out any accusations to any of you as I don't know anyone who pvp's personally aside from what I read on the different boards. But you all know that some of that is true of some people and definitely goes on. And WHY would you change the graphic of the phoenix @Mesanna ? The more original the game stays the better usually. Gameplay/changes rock.... like this taming expansion. But graphics/art changes haven't.... ever turned out good so far. Most of the new items/graphics are huge and ugly (everybody says.) The originals are beautiful and awesome. Please don't change the "look" o the phoenix......... But I do love the taming patch..... and I honestly wouldn't nerf anything. Have you ever saw so many people this excited about a patch? Don't ruin it for the 2% of pvp's that think they make up 50% of the game. Just my humble opinions guys. Everyone I know really loves the Dex and design of the new taming stuff.... even if red people say taming is for girls and blah blah blah.........

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't even get me started on how overpowered this whole publish was in regards to pvm.
I finally played around with training a CU. Even though I did basic upgrades it was completely jaw dropping how OP these new pets are.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I hear you @Becca and more often that not I feel the same way....

However I'll say this... if there is a template that is the beat all then yes even if it's a tamer with a bird... the PvP die hards WILL use it. It's the flavor of the month club... if they think it'll give them an advantage you bet your bottom dollar they will be using it... that includes, speed programs, programs and stuff to log in and lower pings, programs for healing, potion drinking and everything else... including Multi-boxing.

These things I know because I know/knew dozens of PvPers... While many "claim" to be legit and "claim" not to cheat... others boldly step up and say what they use... even telling you to go get it. Everything from Mr Slicy to other things...

I place more value on my accounts to use such things.

As for the Birds looks... I actually was hoping they really meant the ones from the Turtle spawn .... and I look forward to it having a pretty new look... But that's me. I happen to like those birds. I still want a fairy dragon.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They're going to nerf this publish to crap. It starts with a bird then they'll give us the bird.

*Yes the bird does have to be slowed down. Unfortunately the whining and crying from certain pvpers won't stop there.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They're going to nerf this publish to crap. It starts with a bird then they'll give us the bird.

*Yes the bird does have to be slowed down. Unfortunately the whining and crying from certain pvpers won't stop there.
It's sad..... I bet the Phoenix is the FIRST thing everyone tamed when they heard it was now decent..... The Phoenix is one of the only pets from the Eodon expansion that doesn't look good I think. I mean it's cool to see them in numbers dying at the champ spawn... because it's unique. Why can't we just have both types? Do they really want to delete the graphic that we all grew up with??? The phoenix holds some of my favorite memories from all of UO. That little passage with efreets and the legendary phoenix... is really gonna be changed and look ugly? That's so sad to me..... Nobody will tame it anyway if they change the speed, because he sucks for pvm....

Please @Mesanna don't change the graphic of the phoenix.... if you leave both types and made BOTH types tamable... I'm wiling to bet 90% of the people will choose the original graphic. It keeps originality and the "fire" feel of the fire areas. It's the same color as the hell hounds and efreets for a reason. That place is supposed to look dark... not bright........ Upon graphic change.... there will no longer be any reason to ever enter that passage of Delucia ever again.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I finally played around with training a CU. Even though I did basic upgrades it was completely jaw dropping how OP these new pets are.
Overpowered compared to what? If you are comparing it to the old Cu, then yes. Is it overpowered compared to a typical Sampire? Not even close.
This publish brings taming closer in effectiveness to warrior based PvM templates. Nothing wrong with that.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And WHY would you change the graphic of the phoenix @Mesanna ? The more original the game stays the better usually. Gameplay/changes rock.... like this taming expansion. But graphics/art changes haven't.... ever turned out good so far. Most of the new items/graphics are huge and ugly (everybody says.) The originals are beautiful and awesome. Please don't change the "look" o the phoenix
As for the Birds looks... I actually was hoping they really meant the ones from the Turtle spawn .... and I look forward to it having a pretty new look... But that's me. I happen to like those birds. I still want a fairy dragon.
Yeah, i prefer the original Phoenix graphic to the new "Peacock" Phoenix graphic from the Dragon Turtle Spawn (although the "Peacock" graphic is nice), simply for the sake of nostalgia. I've been wanting to tame a Phoenix ever since one destroyed me and my guild back in 1998. It seriously reminded me of the Beast of Caerbannog (Rabbit) from Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail.

It's sad..... I bet the Phoenix is the FIRST thing everyone tamed when they heard it was now decent.....
Yep, i saw how fast the Phoenix was on TC when testing. Hell, i even tamed the very first Phoenix on Atlantic. Within 2-3 mins of the shard coming back up from it's daily maintenance, i went to the Delucia Passage, tried to tame the Phoenix there but it said "This creature cannot be tamed", because it was the old non-tamable variety of Phoenix from the day before, so i killed it, and tamed the next Phoenix that spawned.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well IMO the old school Phoenix is just wrong on so many scales... like the old unicorn being just a white horse and people "loving" that.... I don't... if it's a Unicorn make it a unicorn I'm not in Elementary anymore I don't "pretend" that well.... a white horse is a white horse...

A red Eagle is a red eagle and it's not even a "fire" red Eagle one would expect on a bird named "Phoenix"... it's more blood red.... which IMO makes ZERO sense...

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fought one of these pheonix donning garg mages the other night in Terra on Atlantic. Well 2 of them actually, at the same time. Proper bad players. One ran, the other died. BUT if someone who knew what they was doing was using them, they'd be horrible. I think they need a nurf. Plus i like seeing trammies who cant pvp without pets cry.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Fought one of these pheonix donning garg mages the other night in Terra on Atlantic. Well 2 of them actually, at the same time. Proper bad players. One ran, the other died. BUT if someone who knew what they was doing was using them, they'd be horrible. I think they need a nurf. Plus i like seeing trammies who cant pvp without pets cry.
And people wonder why no one likes Fel... and it's empty most of the time...

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the phoniex as been in the game forever and as always been a tough one to pvm kill solo...its not just appeared...from nowere... as for taming it that must be new..... and i guess it would be a great pet to fight with.....because as above it was always a tough cookie

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well IMO the old school Phoenix is just wrong on so many scales... like the old unicorn being just a white horse and people "loving" that.... I don't... if it's a Unicorn make it a unicorn I'm not in Elementary anymore I don't "pretend" that well.... a white horse is a white horse...

A red Eagle is a red eagle and it's not even a "fire" red Eagle one would expect on a bird named "Phoenix"... it's more blood red.... which IMO makes ZERO sense...
always wondered why the old school phoniex didnt have like the fire elemental colour...burning flames...yah that would have been cool

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Overpowered compared to what? If you are comparing it to the old Cu, then yes. Is it overpowered compared to a typical Sampire? Not even close.
This publish brings taming closer in effectiveness to warrior based PvM templates. Nothing wrong with that.
Compared to fighting non boss mobs or low end bosses. Paired with my character using discord, i think I would get bored quickly if not for the fun of training.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Compared to fighting non boss mobs or low end bosses. Paired with my character using discord, i think I would get bored quickly if not for the fun of training.
So is any other template. That's not overpowered. That's normal.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find it funny that so many pvpers talk crap but don't have the nards to step foot on siege. Says a lot about them.
I have a char on siege, fully capable and lots of different temps to choose on it. I won't bother there anymore because everyone just stealths around like cowards.

quovadis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
the phoenix is one of the worst add in the game.strong like a gd ,can dismounth ,ave mystic and fast .dont wait next pub and fixe your mess

NinjaSampire

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ill say that I am a trammie that is not scared to venture to fel for the wares of the land. I have a decent tamer mage set up with good armor. I usually last 2 seconds to most pvpers. I never complain. What i never understand is how when i get trapped by 2 efields poisoned and killed in half the time it takes me to invis. I dont complain i just laugh. I will say yesterday; i was trapped but had my bird on guard and survived for the first time. I didnt get a kill i was only able to hang on to my wares for a short time until i was killed by another pvper who stealthed me when my bird was busy. I dont care about a nerf to the bird, but it was nice to be able to put up a little resistance to being pked. I understand the pvpers in a field battle do not like the bird as is. I for one think it brings more people to fel for you to attack. Currently noone comes because unless you have like super speed casters(I am 4/6), you cant even defend yourself. Should we nerf casting speed and swing speed in fel as well?

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ill say that I am a trammie that is not scared to venture to fel for the wares of the land. I have a decent tamer mage set up with good armor. I usually last 2 seconds to most pvpers. I never complain. What i never understand is how when i get trapped by 2 efields poisoned and killed in half the time it takes me to invis. I dont complain i just laugh. I will say yesterday; i was trapped but had my bird on guard and survived for the first time. I didnt get a kill i was only able to hang on to my wares for a short time until i was killed by another pvper who stealthed me when my bird was busy. I dont care about a nerf to the bird, but it was nice to be able to put up a little resistance to being pked. I understand the pvpers in a field battle do not like the bird as is. I for one think it brings more people to fel for you to attack. Currently noone comes because unless you have like super speed casters(I am 4/6), you cant even defend yourself. Should we nerf casting speed and swing speed in fel as well?
Trapped Box + 120 Resist will help with that one. Cheapest move out there, but they will always use it against a player that doesn't carry a trapped box.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
the phoenix is one of the worst add in the game.strong like a gd ,can dismounth ,ave mystic and fast .dont wait next pub and fixe your mess
Agree. We shouldn't have to wait till next pub for them to fix an urgent matter like this, especially after they were told numerous times that not enough testing was done for the pet revamp

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then why are you passing judgement on prodo pvpers?

Pets in pvp are bad enough, the Pheonix is a stupid pet, for bad players[in pvp] created by people with stupid ideas. Hit it with the nerf stick already so we can move on please.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*laughs*

Pheonix birds aren't the only one people are going to be complaining about! We are still very early into this change and lots of people are taming some very nasty and surprising creatures. Phoenix are going to be least of PvPers worries. Personally I like the idea of tamers being more viable in PvP . I suggest people get use to and find tactics to deal with more creatures in the PvP field and at spawns.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*laughs*

Pheonix birds aren't the only one people are going to be complaining about! We are still very early into this change and lots of people are taming some very nasty and surprising creatures. Phoenix are going to be least of PvPers worries. Personally I like the idea of tamers being more viable in PvP . I suggest people get use to and find tactics to deal with more creatures in the PvP field and at spawns.
The Pheonix is the only one that moves at the speed of a mounted player...so yeah, it is the only one people are complaining about.

That's the only thing that needs to be nerfed about it. Pet spamming specials is annoying but not gamebreaking so long as you can keep a distance.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This seems to be a constant cycle on UO.

1) OP mechanic gets introduced to game
2) trammies who never stood a chance and depend on OP mechanic finally decide to step foot in fel now that an easy button exists.
3) People ask for nerfs
4) Trammies start to yell that the PVPers are the ones who don't know what they are doing and simply can't "handle" the OP mechanic (clearly projection from the trammies / grasping at any little thing to keep the only mechanic that enables them to step foot in fel)
5) Nerf comes

You all can sit here and step 4 all you want, friends, but the projection from you is obvious and transparent, and the nerf is coming no mater what.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

2) trammies who never stood a chance and depend on OP mechanic finally decide to step foot in fel now that an easy button exists.
3) People ask for nerfs
4) Trammies start to yell that the PVPers are the ones who don't know what they are doing and simply can't "handle" the OP mechanic (clearly projection from the trammies / grasping at any little thing to keep the only mechanic that enables them to step foot in fel)
5) Nerf comes

You all can sit here and step 4 all you want, friends, but the projection from you is obvious and transparent, and the nerf is coming no mater what.
6} PvPers start whining that there aren't enough unique rewards in Fel to force trammies into Fel.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
6} PvPers start whining that there aren't enough unique rewards in Fel to force trammies into Fel.
7. Pvpers will complain that trammies get all the good content then go and kill miners in protest. While at the same time flood chat with cries that someone is a cheater because that's the only way they lost.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

3) People ask for nerfs
5) Nerf comes

PvPers represent Maybe 5% of the games population. Why do PvPers want to stop any other people from giving it a try. I don't don't hear a call for a competitive nerf. Most just don't want any pet to give them an owie. Sounds very counterproductive.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PvPers represent Maybe 5% of the games population. Why do PvPers want to stop any other people from giving it a try. I don't don't hear a call for a competitive nerf. Most just don't want any pet to give them an owie. Sounds very counterproductive.
5%? That high? :)