• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA Nerfs Thieves AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kai Schober
1 Jun 2011 17:11:52 EST

Publish 70.0.4

Players are no longer able to steal from EM's in Felucca
Felucca players now have access to the stairs of the building in the hedge maze
Corroded boxes will now properly highlight and show tooltips when locked down in your house and you customize it
Ingots will no longer disappear when the player’s backpack is overweight when smelting
Hell hounds can no longer be turned into Ancient Hellhounds
Increased the chance to receive copper wire from thieving and a random chance to get it from Pirate Ships
Pets owned by Faction members will now obey verbal commands given by the pet’s name

Patch notes can be found below
Publish 70.4 comes to Origin | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought your ego was huge but do you really think that EA put in a patch because of you? I see it as being common sense that you shouldn't be able to steal from EMs, they are there to make events for the players to enjoy.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol, he isn't allowed to post here I guess.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I liked stealing from the EMs :( Some of them seemed to have fun with it

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol, who?

Lets trick him/her into Fel before this goes through on the rest of the shards :p

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol, who?

Lets trick him/her into Fel before this goes through on the rest of the shards :p
Helios from Episode 1. He reacted negatively after a handful of trammel players spammed him with hate over the theft.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Meh, oh well. Back to the spawns, I guess

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meh, oh well. Back to the spawns, I guess
Bleh.... Being a spawn thief is soooooo boring. It's not inactive enough that you can just get up and walk away safely. The pickings are slim while its 1000000000 times easier to just hop on a red mage and just kill people for every scroll.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bleh.... Being a spawn thief is soooooo boring. It's not inactive enough that you can just get up and walk away safely. The pickings are slim while its 1000000000 times easier to just hop on a red mage and just kill people for every scroll.
That's true.

But are you a full-time thief or a part-time thief?

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hell Ill steal a 110 if I have to. I just love trying to escape impossible situations.

Factions were always great for that... those guys ran defenses like you never see at a spawn. Its just more fun when you have a couple trackers, a bunch of mages, and misc amounts of archers/tamers/dexxers all out to kill you in a small area, while you're being fielded in. :lol:

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I mean, if all I wanted was gold, I'd go make a bard tamer and farm monsters 24/7. If I wanted an Orny, I'd buy low and sell high until I could afford it. If I wanted rares, I'd make some deals until I got what I wanted.

But if I wanted to play a thief at a spawn where there are scrolls, the threat of getting detected, and the chance of something unexpected sitting in someone's pack, I'd go to a spawn on a thief.

(I hate spawning btw.)

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like doing the least possible work for the most possible gain. From my experience, thievery is a great way to do that. But in a spawn, it's hard to deny that I'm a more than competent pvper. If I can go to a spawn and maybe get a scroll or two that's cool but I do know that I can go to a spawn and get every scroll and enjoy it the same amount.

More gain, same amount of fun.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to make thiefs on other shards, I've never found a soul on Napa to swipe something from in ages. I've almost got so desperate as to use a kit to rip myself off but I'd worry about getting caught.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Picus,

If you need help making thieves on random shards, Let me know. I can tell you the best shards to do it on and the easiest ways to get a functioning thief up and running.

L

longshanks

funny how they can fix that in a jiffy yet my elf still needs nightsight in parts of the dungeons. :/

my hats off to you guys. i have no desire to play a theif but i do enjoy reading about your exploits.

Salute :pint:

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
funny how they can fix that in a jiffy yet my elf still needs nightsight in parts of the dungeons. :/

my hats off to you guys. i have no desire to play a theif but i do enjoy reading about your exploits.

Salute :pint:
The patch was released because some EMs were too lazy to insure things or turn off their ability to be robbed. They have both abilities, they chose not to use them.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's actually the saddest, and funniest part about this, they list the ability to steal from EM's as a "bug fix"....but it never was a bug!! EM's, and their predecessors, have had the ability for quite some time to flag themselves to be unable to be stolen from, and even unable to be snooped.

This patch fixes nothing except lets the few lazy EM's not have to set that if they don't want it to be possible. It also rules out the possibility of there EVER being another thief event run by EM's

Same story as ever though, our entire "class" gets ****ed over to save someone else a single button click, gives flashbacks to when container stealing was taken away from us because people kept putting blessed items in non-blessed containers and wondering where they went....

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thieves will always be nerfed so other players can be lazy. It's that simple.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...that's not a nerf. It's just added so EMs don't have to **** off the select few thieves who manage to steal an item the EM didn't want stolen by taking it back. EMs aren't exactly players to begin with. Stop making a huge deal about this.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
...that's not a nerf. It's just added so EMs don't have to **** off the select few thieves who manage to steal an item the EM didn't want stolen by taking it back. EMs aren't exactly players to begin with. Stop making a huge deal about this.
I've snooped the EM on Napa a few times and have also had the EM such that I could not snoop her. I've also had it such that they blocked me in a wall for snooping so there is ample defense for the EM to take. Stop following this topic around like a troll if you are only going to post dribble.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've snooped the EM on Napa a few times and have also had the EM such that I could not snoop her. I've also had it such that they blocked me in a wall for snooping so there is ample defense for the EM to take. Stop following this topic around like a troll if you are only going to post dribble.
There are exactly 4 of you that have an issue with this change. Four. It's a fix that allows EM's to entertain everyone but you four.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm not gonna fuss about it honestly, what does it really change? Thieves can't mess with the EM's, we're no better or worse off than before with the exception of we can't make EA staff a target of our profession. Can dexxers walk up and smack an EM around? Can Mages wiggle their fingers and do their happy dance and set their robes on fire any time they want? Can Tamers point their little finger at the EM and mumble "All Kill" and put the EM on the receiving end of a Greater Dragon?

No.. This change obviously just "fixes" something that was not really intended. The fact that some of the Thieves on UO have made it a purpose to basically target the EM's simply because they can at every opportunity is why it's being changed.

Let me let you in on a few things I've learned through careful questioning..

EM's aren't allowed to Jail players.
EM's aren't able to Ban Players.
EM's have to call in Mesanna to support them if someone is causing an disruption. This means either they are talking to her through some other means, or she's there hidden chatting with them.

Since she's the only support for the EM Team, and considering the varying time zones, the hours she must have to pull to keep in contact with all of them, in addition to her own hours at the office, I'm not going to complain if they make a change that will make events have less disruptive potential and more enjoyable for the majority of players.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except I'm not following this topic like a troll? I just happen to be a pvp thief who casually checks out the pvp thief forum to see what's going on. This popped up so i commented. This is what, one of two posts on the topic, other one in uhall? In fact, the post in this thread was the first I made on the topic. Lmao!!!

Oh wait, I forgot, it's considered trolling to disagree with someone in your world huh?

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Alright, you two, stay on topic.

Nexus, there's no doubt in my mind this is a fix for an unintended bug. Anyone or anything with a yellow name shouldn't be open to pickpocketing. Nevermind the fact that they are staff, with "stealable" items that can bug our packs and require GM support (yes, I found that out the hard way :p ). I reckon it was only a matter of time before this happened, anyhow.

But hell...it was a lot of fun. Hehehe. Us thieves could do with a bone thrown our way, here and there :/

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Alright, you two, stay on topic.

Nexus, there's no doubt in my mind this is a fix for an unintended bug. Anyone or anything with a yellow name shouldn't be open to pickpocketing. Nevermind the fact that they are staff, with "stealable" items that can bug our packs and require GM support (yes, I found that out the hard way :p ). I reckon it was only a matter of time before this happened, anyhow.

But hell...it was a lot of fun. Hehehe. Us thieves could do with a bone thrown our way, here and there :/
Yea but the fact that out of all the play styles we were the only ones that could actually preform a negative action against the EM's also shows just how far under the radar we are.

Still like I said I'm not going to complain, we're no worse off than we were before EM's hit... I wouldn't even consider this a Nerf honestly.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea but the fact that out of all the play styles we were the only ones that could actually preform a negative action against the EM's also shows just how far under the radar we are.

Still like I said I'm not going to complain, we're no worse off than we were before EM's hit... I wouldn't even consider this a Nerf honestly.
As mentioned on UO Thief. This is not a bug fix, it's feature removal. EMs can make it so they can't be stolen at any time. Some EMs forgot to toggle it and they got robbed. The result was the removal of a feature to fix the occasional oversight of a lazy player. Let's face it. Lazy players always prevail over thieves. Whenever enough people make a stupid mistake, we get nerfed.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As mentioned on UO Thief. This is not a bug fix, it's feature removal. EMs can make it so they can't be stolen at any time. Some EMs forgot to toggle it and they got robbed. The result was the removal of a feature to fix the occasional oversight of a lazy player. Let's face it. Lazy players always prevail over thieves. Whenever enough people make a stupid mistake, we get nerfed.
No. Lazy players suffer in fel. Insurance wasn't added as the result of lazy players. And as EMs they are not players, they are staff members of EA/Mythic. They are players when they go on their non-EM characters. When that happens they suffer like every other player in this game when they forgot to do something. And then no one can fix their mistake. As much as you may not like this change it's done. However it isn't going to make stealing any different than it was when the EMs are not around.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This discussion has nothing more to yield, the change is in like it or not. My Suggestion for those that don't like it.

Improvise

Adapt

Overcome

Since there is nothing positive for this thread to yield, and honestly it's sooner or later going to turn into an argument over "Bug Fix or Nerf" or a rash of name calling, I'm killing it now...

Status
Not open for further replies.