• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Duped Items

Wilma

Adventurer
Someone I know got a duped/unvendorable item from a player selling in chat. When he complained, he was told it
is not duped, but in fact a glitch in the shard transfer shield system. Somehow the item becomes "non-vendorable"
just because of an intermittent glitch in transferring from one shard to another. Is that true? I can't find anything on the forums reporting such a glitch. Or, is it just an excuse people use to unload duped items and they hope that is enough to tell someone when they are being ripped off?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes that is true, I have had this happen to me many times. Items that I have gotten myself through events and quests, even vet rewards.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Seems to me that someone would have reported such a glitch by now.
Unfortuantely, it's just one of the many quirks of this 25+ year old game we play. I would not expect a fix any time soon.

The one benefit is that if you're a buyer of such items, you can usually get them for a little cheaper than market price on Vendor Search.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
someone was selling an item on atl over the weekend saying it was non vendor item I didnt see what it was but if it was a duped item id thing they would have got turned in to a gm

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Over the years I have sent thousands of items across shards. I have never had one that COULDN'T be placed on a vendor. I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm just saying it has never happened to me, across multiple accounts, multiple shards, and multiple characters. My guess is (and I AM entitled to one, along with everyone else) is that the duping is more common than some people might think. Especially among the 3rd party gold/item sellers.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
When it happens to an item you KNOW isn't duped...IE a vet reward YOU picked yourself and then transferred to sell and it won't go on a vendor...

That's happened to me several times.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When it happens to an item you KNOW isn't duped...IE a vet reward YOU picked yourself and then transferred to sell and it won't go on a vendor...

Next someone is going to say because you duped your shard shields :coco:

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

Agreed, I have had that happen a time or two. Not frequently but occasionally. Buying an item off a vendor transferring then not being able to put it on a vendor for sale has happened a few times as well.

Duping is the main reason I sold off all of my Rares collection. It was very pervasive. I worked years to collect all of a 1 in 14 of an item to end up with 17 of them and plenty around in other museums. Now a a days I prefer to explore other peoples museums or just hang onto items that have some meaning to me.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Agreed, I have had that happen a time or two. Not frequently but occasionally. Buying an item off a vendor transferring then not being able to put it on a vendor for sale has happened a few times as well.

Duping is the main reason I sold off all of my Rares collection. It was very pervasive. I worked years to collect all of a 1 in 14 of an item to end up with 17 of them and plenty around in other museums. Now a a days I prefer to explore other peoples museums or just hang onto items that have some meaning to me.
Wonders if lord Nabin is alright as i hand him his pipe and drink..

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Don't look at that as duped...look at those additional ones as the extra parts you always have left over after putting something together. Just stuff them in a drawer for 10 years in case you actually need them! :p

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Happened last night to me. Fresh pair of Minax sandals gotten from Shadowguard about an hour before I tried vending them, it wouldn't let me. Had my husband try on another vendor, he couldn't. Tried again after server downtime this morning and still can't. There was no shard transferring of these sandals at all. Glitch in the game that I don't see being fixed any time soon.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over the years I have sent thousands of items across shards. I have never had one that COULDN'T be placed on a vendor. I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm just saying it has never happened to me, across multiple accounts, multiple shards, and multiple characters. My guess is (and I AM entitled to one, along with everyone else) is that the duping is more common than some people might think. Especially among the 3rd party gold/item sellers.
I’m not sayin the ‘glitch’ can’t happen. Just sayin in my personal experience it never has. Got shard shields & transfer to almost every shard ingame... never happened once except when I bought from chat or locked down in an auction house.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if it wont go on a vendor its a duped item hmmm ...o.0 (note to self don't buy from clops errr @Larisa )

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*Sigh* after 22 years this whole glitched-duped and questioning people's honesty make me tired.

There are many, Many, MANY things broken in this game. Mesanna will never, ever, ever fix them.

We must accept it and enjoy the game while we have it.

This Is The Way. - The Mandalorian/Din Djarin

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I’m not sayin the ‘glitch’ can’t happen. Just sayin in my personal experience it never has. Got shard shields & transfer to almost every shard ingame... never happened once except when I bought from chat or locked down in an auction house.
I'm in the same boat. It's never happened to me to Xfer something and not be able to vendor it (although I don't really look to cross-shard resell) but I could see there be a case where it happens based on the logic.

If the "dupe code" is basically determined by some "unique" ID assigned to an item (anything that has the same ID would be considered a dupe) and upon legit creation (ie Shadowguard or crossing over to a new shard) it glitched out and assigned a previous ID; I could see people with legit items not being able to vendor the items (because the "unique" ID doesn't appear to be unique at this point).

As long as said items aren't being deleted from people then I don't really see the huge deal with it. Sure... people who are looking to make money by buying low on X shard to resell high on Y shard (on their vendor) might have an issue with it but that's about it. If that's how you play your game, that's fine then you can just swap out the minax sandals you wear with the non-vendorable ones and sell the ones you were wearing... or just spam in chat to sell the non-vendorable ones.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I've been away for 6 years. At risk of sounding naive, duping is still a thing?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think as recently as last summer there was a new duping exploit using houses with multiple floors on server lines.
I found a version of that one over 3 years ago by accident. Only works on one tile on the 3rd floor and requires 3 specific actions and it only works on the original servers and in fel, Placed the exact same house in the exact same space in tram and it doesn't work tram side , right after server up. Total accidental find. It doesn't dupe items so much as it dupes certain pets, the item dupe comes in because it dupes the items in one pets pack. I played with it for a few days figuring it out and how to repeat it then bug reported it. Never duped anything of value and always killed the duped pet..... Although tempting to keep some of the scrolled out high end pets LOL. I do it once a year or so just to see if they fixed the malfunction and kill the duped horse and as of Yesterdays server up it still is a malfunction. I imagine there are other houses similarly situated between a server line and another area required for it to work and that other folks have found the malfunction as well. I only told one other person about it so he could test it and see if it was repeatable for him. Don't know if they don't know how to fix it or it just can't be fixed or they just don't care. Paged a GM and demonstrated how to do it after I bug reported and was simply told to not exploit it or there would be serious consequences. It would be my guess that this dupe bug has been there for a very long time it just such a small area (One Tile) and then the 3 actions make it like finding a sliver of wood in a hay stack.

It happens I bought some chargers of the fallen from the store and when the accounts I got them for could claim ethy horses, I transferred the 3 chargers to ATL and put 2 of them on my vendor there, the 3rd one would not go on the vendor. Another time I bought ten 120 parry scrolls from a toon spamming them for sale in Luna Mint for a very low price...... None of them would go on a vendor. LOL figured I would use 5 and sell 5 and break even on the deal. Duped Power Scrolls, Pinks and Blues also will not go into a scroll book. Anyway learned not to buy anything in chat or person that I might want to put on a vendor later.