• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dumb idea of the day: Potential way to stop script miners

D

Dragonchilde

I just thought of this while mining around in fel, and noticed a few houses with HUGE piles of ore.

How about make piles of ore on the steps of a house (public or private) smeltable by anyone who passes by? Not the stuff locked down on the inside. Specifically and only that on the steps of houses. Scripters in general recall back, drop their piles on the house steps, and go back.

sure, I know, they'll just start putting them in containers, or having the script walk three steps in.

Told you it was a dumb idea.

And it's totally based on jealousy. I REALLY want that pile of 1235764 valorite you've got sitting there. It's taunting me.

K

Kratos Aurion

No because then people like you would take advantage of easy free ore and probably sell it on vendors at marked up price versus what the scripters sell it for...:scholar:

Also.. Scripts would just be rewritten to place the ore in a different location.

D

Dragonchilde

No because then people like you would take advantage of easy free ore and probably sell it on vendors at marked up price versus what the scripters sell it for...:scholar:

Also.. Scripts would just be rewritten to place the ore in a different location.
Nah, I'd use it to finally get my poor smith to 120. LOL. Although I make it a personal policy to never sell anything at stupid scripter prices (or even regular luna prices) I run a nice little business selling leather at not-stupid prices in luna. :)

Hey, at least I admitted it's 100% selfish!

C

Connor_Graham

All they would do is put a box where the ore is now and drop the ore in the box instead of on the steps.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
uhhh those houses with the ore piles just randomly locked down aren't the scripters. they are people who live right next to where scripters mine. The scripters often dump iron as a waste of weight. The people who live nearby just pick it up and let it accumulate over weeks and months into a few thousand. The scripters are the ones with millions in weight....

V

VorteXPete

Alot of these scripters mine in caves in fel,hide in one for a bit and watch there recall spots and easy pickins...funny while your attacking em and they don't stop mining:D

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just make it so items locked down on steps do not automatically appear when you recall in. Like you said it will force folks to walk 3 steps in to drop off but that adds a considerable amount of time to the overall cycle and lowers total yield.

The best thing you could do to stop scripting is remove the demand for these rare resources (community collections and shadow heaters) and un-randomize ore spawns.

R

RichDC

The best thing you could do to stop scripting is remove the demand for these rare resources (community collections and shadow heaters) and un-randomize ore spawns.
The whole reason randomised spawn locations was brought in was to make script mining for high end ore more difficult, now they have no idea if theyll hit val before they just set the runes to the val veins

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The whole reason randomised spawn locations was brought in was to make script mining for high end ore more difficult, now they have no idea if theyll hit val before they just set the runes to the val veins
And the only reason high end needed to be more diffcult was because of community collections. There was very little demand for it otherwise. Before that I could mine any high end location rarely seeing any script minier. I would see them at shadow ore locations much more frequently though.

S

Stanton Of Pac

I just thought of this while mining around in fel, and noticed a few houses with HUGE piles of ore.

How about make piles of ore on the steps of a house (public or private) smeltable by anyone who passes by? Not the stuff locked down on the inside. Specifically and only that on the steps of houses. Scripters in general recall back, drop their piles on the house steps, and go back.

sure, I know, they'll just start putting them in containers, or having the script walk three steps in.

Told you it was a dumb idea.

And it's totally based on jealousy. I REALLY want that pile of 1235764 valorite you've got sitting there. It's taunting me.
1) Why is this a problem? It really doesn't matter if you're pushing a button each time you dig one ore or to mine 10 ore, you're consuming resources normally and taking aout the same amount of time either way.

2) You can't prove from a stack of ore on a porch if it was script-mined or not. You just don't "like" it.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Script Miners... (or lumberjacks, or whatever else.)

At a random interval between every 5 and 10 minutes (or perhaps every 50-100 digs.. or whatever seems feasible without driving legitimate miners absolutely bonkers) have a gump pop on screen while mining that asks a multiple choice question (like, "Click on the picture of scissors below.") If answered incorrectly, that character cannot mine ore for a set period of time (5 minutes, 10 minutes, whatever). While the gump is on-screen, that character cannot mine.. similar to mining while mounted. If the question is answered incorrectly 5 times in a row, that character cannot mine for 24 hours.

Could the usual scripts get around this?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Script Miners... (or lumberjacks, or whatever else.)

At a random interval between every 5 and 10 minutes (or perhaps every 50-100 digs.. or whatever seems feasible without driving legitimate miners absolutely bonkers) have a gump pop on screen while mining that asks a multiple choice question (like, "Click on the picture of scissors below.") If answered incorrectly, that character cannot mine ore for a set period of time (5 minutes, 10 minutes, whatever). While the gump is on-screen, that character cannot mine.. similar to mining while mounted. If the question is answered incorrectly 5 times in a row, that character cannot mine for 24 hours.

Could the usual scripts get around this?
A fatigue timer for any recall flavored spell would be much more feasible. And yes scripts can do anything you can do when you interface with the game. They can replicate any logic.