• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dread Warhorse

P

Principessa

My son game me a dread warhorse some time ago. Early this morning the server down got me. I guess I wasn't riding him. I log on today, he's wild, but nearby. I re-tame him, forgetting he's no longer bonded. I take him out fighting today. I die, while I'm dead he goes wild again, and dies to boot. Now I am without him. Now I know why I quit playing uo for three years. I've only been playing three days and am now emotionally involved with a set of pixils. On top of that, I read these are no longer spawning, so there is not chance for me to tame another one. Is there something someone can say to make me feel better? What animal should I replace him with that will be a powerful mount?

*sobbing*

C

Capt.E

I got a dread warhorse at the end of the event, then I was unable to play for 4 months. I heard about crimson dragons spawning and that they make greater dragons go wild. So I grabbed my new dread warhorse, it died, dropped like a rock and no ghost. I didn't feed it, yeah I know, I have my moments. Then I purchased one from someone for 15 mil. I bonded this one, I was training it on some eles, it died and I logged. I once again had to go on a trip, came back, got like 4 patches, it was gone. So at least you didn't spend 15 mil for one you lost. I really like the nightmare rune beetle combo. Sorry for your loss, I still think they should remain a rare event item. If you can find someone to sell one, they will only appreciate in price.

Y

Yacct

I wasn't even playing when these mounts appeared but a quick look on the hunter's guide tells me all I need to know - dread warhorses are useless tameables.

For offence get a beetle/bake or beetle/mare combo, nothing else comes close.

For tanking, greater dragon obviously. However the vast stat/skill/resist ranges of greater dragons means you'll either get:

a) useless 5 slotter
b) great defence OR good offence
c) both, but you'll need to find a damn good dragon - so lots of money/time

If you need to run/not gargoyle a cu sidhe is the next best. Has a convenience advantage in that you can mount up, run through areas and dismount - saves using petballs and login/logout routines.

I'd rather use a flappin' reptalon (still waiting on their buffs ;) than a dread/X combo. Paying 15M for one? Gawd, I sure hope it was 75/40/40/60/50 and max HP.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasn't even playing when these mounts appeared but a quick look on the hunter's guide tells me all I need to know - dread warhorses are useless tameables.
You should read less and play more.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
My son game me a dread warhorse some time ago. Early this morning the server down got me. I guess I wasn't riding him. I log on today, he's wild, but nearby. I re-tame him, forgetting he's no longer bonded. I take him out fighting today. I die, while I'm he goes wild again, and dies to boot. Now I am without him. Now I know why I quit playing uo for three years. I've only been playing three days and am now emotionally involved with a set of pixils. On top of that, I read these are no longer spawning, so there is not chance for me to tame another one. Is there something someone can say to make me feel better? What animal should I replace him with that will be a powerful mount?

*sobbing*
Cheer up, friend. Dread Warhorses are nice for PvP, but there are much better pets for PvM application. Cu sides, for example, are easily obtainable and would beat a dread in a fight any day. If you're inclined to use spell casting pets, try a rune beetle for another nice 3-slot pet.

If you primarily PvM, the dread would just be a show piece anyway. Let me know if you're on Atlantic and I can help you find a nice cu. :)

E

Ethereal_Corpse

Principessa,

If you play on Atlantic shard, i have a few dreads sitting in the stables.

I don't mind giving you one for free. I am training a few for friends.

But i have one to spare if needed.

Ec

P

Principessa

I got a dread warhorse at the end of the event, then I was unable to play for 4 months. I heard about crimson dragons spawning and that they make greater dragons go wild. So I grabbed my new dread warhorse, it died, dropped like a rock and no ghost. I didn't feed it, yeah I know, I have my moments. Then I purchased one from someone for 15 mil. I bonded this one, I was training it on some eles, it died and I logged. I once again had to go on a trip, came back, got like 4 patches, it was gone. So at least you didn't spend 15 mil for one you lost. I really like the nightmare rune beetle combo. Sorry for your loss, I still think they should remain a rare event item. If you can find someone to sell one, they will only appreciate in price.
Thank you for your response. I do feel better now. I feel bad for you though. 15 mill is a lot to loose, it sickens me. I've never had 15 mill on the game. I have a feeling the software people are trying to get them out of the game in the easiest way possible. I will keep playing. I got the UO bug again. You know it when a dying pet ruins your day.

P

Principessa

For offence get a beetle/bake or beetle/mare combo, nothing else comes close.

For tanking, greater dragon obviously. However the vast stat/skill/resist ranges of greater dragons means you'll either get:

a) useless 5 slotter
b) great defence OR good offence
c) both, but you'll need to find a damn good dragon - so lots of money/time

If you need to run/not gargoyle a cu sidhe is the next best. Has a convenience advantage in that you can mount up, run through areas and dismount - saves using petballs and login/logout routines.

I'd rather use a flappin' reptalon (still waiting on their buffs ;) than a dread/X combo. Paying 15M for one? Gawd, I sure hope it was 75/40/40/60/50 and max HP.

I tamed a mare today, so now I have to train him up. I'm not sure I can tame a rune beetle so maybe I can buy one. Thanks for the infomation it certainly has made me feel much better.

P

Principessa

Cheer up, friend. Dread Warhorses are nice for PvP, but there are much better pets for PvM application. Cu sides, for example, are easily obtainable and would beat a dread in a fight any day. If you're inclined to use spell casting pets, try a rune beetle for another nice 3-slot pet.

If you primarily PvM, the dread would just be a show piece anyway. Let me know if you're on Atlantic and I can help you find a nice cu. :)
You certainly have cheered me up. Thank you. I do have a Cu sides that I can turn to. I tamed a mare today, just need to train him. I'm not sure I can tame a rune beetle so maybe I can buy one soon. I wish I was on Atlantic I would take you up on that offer. Thanks again.

P

Principessa

Principessa,

If you play on Atlantic shard, i have a few dreads sitting in the stables.

I don't mind giving you one for free. I am training a few for friends.

But i have one to spare if needed.

Ec
Really cool. I wished I was on Atlantic, I'd love to take you up on that offer. You are very nice to your friends. Thanks for the offer, the thought just cheers me up. :) People like you are the reason I always end up back playing UO again.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Principessa, I have a peace tamer on GL and would be happy to go out with you if you want some help with peacemaking and heals/invizzes while you tame yourself some new pets. Just drop me a PM if you're interested.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You certainly have cheered me up. Thank you. I do have a Cu sides that I can turn to. I tamed a mare today, just need to train him. I'm not sure I can tame a rune beetle so maybe I can buy one soon. I wish I was on Atlantic I would take you up on that offer. Thanks again.
Yes , Cu Sidhes are great for PvM.

They are also great for PvP depending on your template and the Cu's Stats.

Cheer up! We've all had major losses!

W

WalterRuether

Only let the loss of a gift bother you. As pets go the dread mare is terrible for PvM they move away from you when you fight so you cant stay under them. The Greater Dragons are almost too powerful but hey, if you can take a gun to a knife fight, why not. And th Cu's are tough and much cooler to ride anyway. Plus they heal ya from time to time, so its the only pet that shows he cares.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only let the loss of a gift bother you. As pets go the dread mare is terrible for PvM they move away from you when you fight so you cant stay under them. The Greater Dragons are almost too powerful but hey, if you can take a gun to a knife fight, why not. And th Cu's are tough and much cooler to ride anyway. Plus they heal ya from time to time, so its the only pet that shows he cares.
Hahah , I got ressed by my Cu Sidhe the other day :heart:33 :heart:

J

[JD]

In what situations will a Cu res you?

I've heard of Cu's ressing but heard things like a bandage must be on the ground etc.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
What I've heard is the cu has to begin to apply the bandage right before you die.

J

[JD]

That makes sense... Cu's dont seem to try to bandage too often even when standing next to me so it would probably be a rare occurance

A

A Rev

Really cool. I wished I was on Atlantic, I'd love to take you up on that offer. You are very nice to your friends. Thanks for the offer, the thought just cheers me up. :) People like you are the reason I always end up back playing UO again.
If you want a rune beetle i can give you one on GL, i have it sitting in my stables. Still requires taming as i think it was tamed as a back up to my main beetle, as far as i remember its got pretty good stats...its looking for a good home, i almost released it to make way for a battle chicken so if you can offer it the love it deserves(rather than a guard whack)...its yours :p

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice thing with Beetles, they can be given to the Zoo. No need to guard whack them when you cant keep them anymore :)

Wish it was the case with all the pets, specially Cu's ...

J

[JD]

Cu's are not aggro so they can roam town freely and not get guardwhacked =) (the exception being if someone of low Karma gets near, like a necro, then they will aggro)

I release the rest out of town... sometimes in newbie areas!

A

A Rev

Nice thing with Beetles, they can be given to the Zoo. No need to guard whack them when you cant keep them anymore :)

Wish it was the case with all the pets, specially Cu's ...
You can turn in cu's they fall under the special mounts category and are worth 250 points if memory serves.
Thing is im far too lazy!

lol

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cu sidhe won't resurrect players - they try to, but it won't work. Wish I'd kept the link, but this was confirmed by a member of the dev team a while ago.

Wenchy

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can turn in cu's they fall under the special mounts category and are worth 250 points if memory serves.
Thing is im far too lazy!

lol
I wish, but Cu's, Hiryus, and GD cant be donated to the zoo :(
And there are probably other pets as well but I'm only sure about those

P

Principessa

Well said.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am on the Great Lakes shard.

I notice fewer players on UO since I started back up. I wonder where everyone went.
They all went to Atlantic.

I don't know if this will cheer you up, maybe it will make you feel worse, but I'll tell it to you anyway.

A long time ago, I'm talking back in 2002, and before that, black forest ossies used to spawn in the T2A lands. I tamed a few, and kept one.

Almost three years ago I came back to UO after being away for four years. I had a bunch of pets in my stable, but a lot had happened in the time I was away, and all my pets now had 0 phys resist. So I let them all go, thinking I'll just get new ones to replace them. Not long after that I discovered that black forest ossies don't spawn anymore, and I've never seen another one.

Take heart, there are still plenty of dread warhorses around, and although they may be expensive, you can buy them. If you really want one you'll be able to get one. It may take some work, but you'll be able to get one. Unfortunately I'll never find a replacement for my black forest ossie...

P

Principessa

that i so depressing. I am so sorry. I really hate a lot of the changes that get made, some I like most I just can't keep up with.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ah sorry, didn't mean to depress you. :)

The central truth is, nothing is ever truly permanent in these online worlds, and the only truly valuable items are the life lessons you learn and the friendships you gain. There is always a way you can lose those pixels.

It could be a server crash when you are off your pet and you are unable to make it back to the game in time to save it after the server comes back up. There are ways you can lower the chances of it happening, but in the final analysis, having your account hacked can happen to anyone.

Hardware failures, bugs, absentmindedness, bad decisions, playing while drunk or even sick, and the list goes on, all these things can lead to irreplaceable losses. So at some point you just have to make the decision to enjoy what you have while you have it, and if you want something, and it is possible to get it, that can give you goals that can give your fun some direction.

Anyway, didn't mean to turn this into a long monologue. Hopefully you will find yourself another warhorse, but try not to feel too bad about the one you lost. It truly can happen to anyone, in a number of different ways.

drakenlocki

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i just came back to UO after several years being gone, log on to Atlantic and see one of those dreads.........I feel your pain, I cant get one because they dont spawn anymore and the economy is way higher than when I left :gun:

Ancient Sosarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Sosarians,

No words more true than these will ever be spoken or written!

The central truth is, nothing is ever truly permanent in these online worlds, and the only truly valuable items are the life lessons you learn and the friendships you gain. There is always a way you can lose those pixels.
Going on 14 years now, and I have lost more pixels than I'd care to remember, even IF my failing memory would allow me. However, the lessons learned and the friendships gained, these are priceless and most precious!

An SoS

p.s. that said, the losses are real and painful ... I continue to hope the events that spawned the Dread WarHorses will one day return to us ... be well friend

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i just came back to UO after several years being gone, log on to Atlantic and see one of those dreads.........I feel your pain, I cant get one because they dont spawn anymore and the economy is way higher than when I left :gun:
We can hope that the developers decide to bring them back into the storyline sometime so that they spawn again, at least for a while.