• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dragon or White Wyrm?

G

Can anyone tell whether dragon or white wyrm is better??

M

mutau

While a WW has better resists (285) compared to the dragon's resists (255), a dragon has better stats.

Dragons and WWs have the same skills. But Dragons can't reach GM for 2 skills, magery and wrestling (according to Stratics). But WWs are able to GM all their skills.

Basically, it all depends what you're hunting. Keep one of each in the stable.
To me its a draw.

I

imported_Sarphus

Stratics is wrong. I have a dragon with GM mage skills.

I think dragon and WW are both good. WW is more of a generally applicable pet because of its damage types and high phys/cold resist. WW's only real problem is its exceptionally low fire resist, which makes them difficult to keep alive sometimes.

I think it's good to have a solid dragon and a solid ww. I have both. Granted, there are more pets that are good to have than there are stable slots on a 3x 120 tamer. My solution to this is to have a multiple tamers. One of my tamers has a dragon. Another tamer has a WW instead of a dragon. One tamer has a pack of frenzies while another tamer has a pack of hell hounds.

With the addition of a 7th char slot, it's really not hard to have more than one tamer these days (training is a pain, but having available characters isn't a problem).

I

imported_Hinotori

All pets can be trained up to GM in their skills. It just is a pain in the rear on some. Dragons start with much lower magery than white wyrms.

I suggest using the right pet for the job. I don't take my WW against anything that does a lot of fire damage. That's what the dragon (or a few other pets) are for. Tamers have stable slots so they can have many different pets. You wouldn't take a demon slayer weapon to fight undead, it wouldn't work well. Same goes for pets. Think of them more as weapon types.

G

In stratics it says WW's mage power is better than dragon. Is it true or not??

I

imported_Sarphus

I think spell damage is all about how much int they have and how high their eval is. You get 1% SDI for every 10 int.

I

imported_Hinotori

The stratics listings are for WILD pets. Do remember that. Spells from a wild WW with GM magery and eval will hurt much more than a wild dragon with 50 magery and eval.

N

nimzo

Both pets are great, just have to use each against the right monsters. Nice thing about either is that you can team it with either a mare or kit. Lots of fun and a tough combo to top.
I have both pets on several of my tamers, but I find I like using my dragon more.
Perhaps it is because he was my 1st big pet and I trained him to 7 GM.
As a closing statement, while I like dogs in real life, in UO what the hell were the
deverlopers thinking making the dog better than a dragon or ww. I know this is just a game, but the logic fails me.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In my opinion the ww is generally a better pvm pet, while the dragon is a better pvp pet, except in pvm situations where you are specifically matching damage to resists. In close melee the ww is much stronger and does much more damage than a dragon (I don't care what the numbers say, in general if you match a dragon with a ww, all things, such as training, being equal, the ww will eat the dragon for lunch).

However, in pvp the dragon is faster, and it's resists match up very well with the most used attack spells, and the most common damage from weapons, and it doesn't have the single glaring weakness that a ww does. It also has it's breath which is just wicked in pvp, as long as you keep your dragon well healed. It also has more hit points than a ww.

As I've said as many times as I've gotten the chance, in my opinion the dragon is second only to the rune beetle in pvp, and in some situations is actually better. As has been said before many times, tamers that are more advanced will generally learn to match the pet to the context. That is one of the reasons why stable space is always at a premium, and very often hard decisions have to be made as to which pets to keep, and which to let go.

You will even find that pets of the same species, with different strengths and weaknesses will be better for different things. It has long been my contention that for pvm hits and resists are critically important, while for pvp the stats (str, dex, int), and for rune beetles poisoning and evaluate intelligence, are more important. However, even there, different pvp situations will be best entered into with pets that match their strengths to the context.