• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

doubt about enhanced client and kr

sh1nji

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
hey guys,

my doubt is about the new hight res art for enhanced client, when i started play uo was when kr has launched so i played for a time and stoped for problems, now i back for uo and don`t has more kr, but i see about hight res, my doubt is when they say that wiill put a new hight res art, is that will use the same art that see ec, but with more resolution???? and kr art not be used more???

i loved kr and it makes me very sad.

obs* sorry for my bad english, english is not my first language.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hey guys,

my doubt is about the new hight res art for enhanced client, when i started play uo was when kr has launched so i played for a time and stoped for problems, now i back for uo and don`t has more kr, but i see about hight res, my doubt is when they say that wiill put a new hight res art, is that will use the same art that see ec, but with more resolution???? and kr art not be used more???

It's hard to tell what they are going to do since noone has seen it...

W

Woodsman

There is an interview with the UO producers this week or next week in PC Gamer. We'll probably see it then.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hey guys,

I miss it too Kingdom Reborn.

The look and feel of the current EC client I can't stand with the exception of what Pinco has done! Pinco has knocked it out of the park with all the features he's added and it keeps getting better. But visually the game is appaling compared to KR.

It pisses me off to no end how the game regressed in terms of resolution by nixing KR. It's certaintly not forward progess. All that time wasted creating those graphics wasting...just sitting around somewhere. Here we are 2 years later....

Mindblowing....this game has been so mismanaged it's not even funny.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kingdom Reborn only made one single mistake, which in the end made it fail.

They released it from beta prematurely which caused on uproar in UO land.

Had they kept it in beta untill it was actually what people would consider ready to be relased, i think that things would have looked alot different today and that we would still have KR.

Besides the mistake they made to listen to all the classic4ever people complaining about the graphics in a client they would never use anyways. And nor would they use EC.

.. Sniff

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Had they kept it in beta untill it was actually what people would consider ready to be relased, i think that things would have looked alot different today and that we would still have KR.

Besides the mistake they made to listen to all the classic4ever people complaining about the graphics in a client they would never use anyways. And nor would they use EC.

.. Sniff
personally I still don't like 90% of the KR items... probably was just a wrong perspective but they were mostly ugly and bulky. Now we have ugly and tiny items... seems there is not a middle way :D

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

.. Sniff
Wow this was nice, i forgot how fantastic KR was looking!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a petition running to put KR graphicst an option at least in current EC. Welcome to sign it, but honestly i got doubts if it will matter....

Knuckleheads.dk - UO Petitions
they don't care about the healthbars not updating, crashes, etc... why they should care about graphics? :p
sometimes I wonder why we don't have a command line client since they can handle only the server side code... :D

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they don't care about the healthbars not updating, crashes, etc... why they should care about graphics? :p
sometimes I wonder why we don't have a command line client since they can handle only the server side code... :D
There's a vast difference between 'don't care' and 'have not yet tracked down the cause'. Unless you are a mind reader, I submit that you have no real way of knowing which of these options apply.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And i add the fact that UO isn't really a high staff/budget game these days, their resources are somewhat limited.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a vast difference between 'don't care' and 'have not yet tracked down the cause'. Unless you are a mind reader, I submit that you have no real way of knowing which of these options apply.
UO is 90% a 'have not yet tracked down the cause' as far as I can see... :/

And i add the fact that UO isn't really a high staff/budget game these days, their resources are somewhat limited.
probably 50% of them are part time and probably they are using their own computer because EA can provides only clubs and stones :lol:

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am curious what you are doing here then, if you think that. If that was me i would quit instantly.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am curious what you are doing here then, if you think that. If that was me i would quit instantly.
I'm here because there's still a tiny hope that something may change, but this hope is going to die permanently if their "great change" of the 15th anniversary is another flop ( = no client improvements)...
What I said is just what is really happening, too many failures in the latest years and too many wrong choices have cutted down the EA investments on UO, especially the KR failure that was extremely expensive and brings nothing back.

Anyways UO in the latest year has lost probably 3/4 of the players because the people has lost the hope and the real life lately is not so "wealthy" to allows to pay 13€/month for a game stuck in the 1990...

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyways UO in the latest year has lost probably 3/4 of the players because the people has lost the hope and the real life lately is not so "wealthy" to allows to pay 13€/month for a game stuck in the 1990...
While I don't think we've hit a 3/4 attrition rate, we aren't doing too well population-wise. Even the Stratics population is waaaaaaay down from where it was a year ago, heck even 6 months ago.

I do agree that people have lost hope though. I hear it on a near daily basis via ICQ, general chat, alliance chat, and in Vent. People are fed up with bugs that effect their gameplay going unaddressed or seemingly random, braindead system changes. Layer on the secrecy shrouding UO's future and the bare trickle of communication that the average player sees, and the spiral down quickens.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm here because there's still a tiny hope that something may change, but this hope is going to die permanently if their "great change" of the 15th anniversary is another flop ( = no client improvements)...
What I said is just what is really happening, too many failures in the latest years and too many wrong choices have cutted down the EA investments on UO, especially the KR failure that was extremely expensive and brings nothing back.

Welcome to UO!

And now 2d Messanna is producer, i would say time to leave!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to UO!

And now 2d Messanna is producer, i would say time to leave!
I still hope in some improvements for the 15th anniversary, and until then I'm in maintenance mode (renew every 2 months to keep the house safe), then we'll see if UO can permanently find its place in the graveyard or not :p

W

Woodsman

People are fed up with bugs that effect their gameplay going unaddressed or seemingly random, braindead system changes. Layer on the secrecy shrouding UO's future and the bare trickle of communication that the average player sees, and the spiral down quickens.
On the first part, they are going to work on bugs
The second part is the future of UO. After we finish the holidays, which does take up a lot of time for creation for Halloween, anniversary, vet rewards etc, we are going to step back and do a major bug fixing publish. Currently we have documented 1173 known bugs in our system, I want to cut that number in half. This bug sprint will not happen till the first of the year so that will give me plenty of time to go over all the bugs in the thread on stratics to make sure we have those documented in our system.
But the secrecy still persists and it really makes me wonder about the future of the high resolution graphics. If they decide not to do it (Mesanna did not mention it in her producer's letter), then I'll leave. I'm not going to watch UO die a slow death, especially if they spent the money on the graphics upgrade and then decide not to go through with it.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The sad thing is it is only one click away to enable it again, very sad!

Phangs_of_Phage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was just basing of off the screenshots I seen. It looks better than EC artwork. I dont know so I cant argue with you about several items and animations.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR was exactly like EC with the same stop motion mobiles and bulky undefined items...
What i cant understand it took 4 weeks to introduce the legacy art into the KR Client, and only two minutes to remove the KR art, why we doenst have an Option for both?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What i cant understand it took 4 weeks to introduce the legacy art into the KR Client, and only two minutes to remove the KR art, why we doenst have an Option for both?
probably they don't have 10 minutes to spend to add a flag that allows the game to switch the files between the 2 styles :D

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They did, once, explain why it wasn't a simple as flipping a switch. I don't remember the details.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They did, once, explain why it wasn't a simple as flipping a switch. I don't remember the details.
Probably, but they can do it if they want to... but until they don't understand that the client is the most important part of the game, everything will stays as it is...

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My guess is that the KR was "lost in the move." Someone effed up during the move and all the KR artwork is gone baby gone! :eek:

I'm in the exact same boat as Pinco and close to throwing in the towel on my last account for good.

L

Langeblan

i want kr art back too...
Ec and client 2d is too much ugly.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol, most of you can't be serious about KR graphics surely? They were (rightfully) scrapped because most people thought they were awful.

It's one thing to show random screenshots where it looked presentable, it's another to actually play it. The art looks fine in a few screens, but actually playing the client was a completely different kettle of fish. It was awful and the animations were terribad.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol, most of you can't be serious about KR graphics surely? They were (rightfully) scrapped because most people thought they were awful.

It's one thing to show random screenshots where it looked presentable, it's another to actually play it. The art looks fine in a few screens, but actually playing the client was a completely different kettle of fish. It was awful and the animations were terribad.
awful! and where are we now? What ever they do now, it isnt even noticed anymore. you wanted an old graphic you got it and the result are dead shards. who decided to cancel KR hopefully got fired!

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR graphs got canceled because "they were not classic enough", in the eyes of 2D4LIFE people that wouldn't use a 2.5D client, no matter what it was like. So yea.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
awful! and where are we now? What ever they do now, it isnt even noticed anymore. you wanted an old graphic you got it and the result are dead shards. who decided to cancel KR hopefully got fired!
Yeah, because KR graphics brought new players in droves, right? :eyeroll:

Fact of the matter is, whatever they do they're essentially restricted to a isometric view anyway which immediately limits your options. People who go on and on about graphics are right that they won't attract new players, but the fundamental restrictions mean UO will never be able to compete with today's games in terms of graphics anyway until they wipe the slate clean and start again (UO2).

Of all the players who I know that have quit the game, none of them cited their reason for doing so as "bad graphics." Dead shards are due mostly to gameplay issues and people fed up of the direction the game was heading in whilst paying a subscription fee that was more expensive than modern MMOs like WoW, etc.

If anything, the people who cancelled UX:O should be fired because that was the most baffling decision I've seen from EA yet... and I've seen a few.