• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Don't repeat the problem,,, FIX IT !!!

N

nobuttkisser

What happened to the elimination of simoleans. I thought that this was suppose to be the first in many stages of elimination of cheaters in this so called EA Land., I don't care if you have to wipe simoleans and wipe it again. Please eliminate the simoleans that SOME people are trying to get an advantage of, get rid of the multi account loading from the same ip and once and for all FIX this problem before you have the SAME OLD GAME in a new server......... thank you

EDIT: This statement is not posted to accuse honest users who have two or more accounts, but rather those who create "bots" to make more simoleans. also my main point was and is that Maxas/EA promised to wipe all of our money from us and have us all start over again at the same level. that was what I meant to explain.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

get rid of the multi account loading from the same isp

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok isn't isp = internet service provider? so what; you want only 1 person from all the people who have yahoo dsl to be able to play, 1 person from comcast hi speed to be able to play?

Or did you mean IP? as in IP address? If in fact you meant IP, then I'll have to disagree with you. I pay for 2 accounts, I should be able to play 2 accounts. And just because I have 2 accounts doesn't mean I use them to cheat.

I am bothered that you think anyone who has multiple accounts is taking advantage of the money situation and cheating.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

get rid of the multi account loading from the same isp

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok isn't isp = internet service provider? so what; you want only 1 person from all the people who have yahoo dsl to be able to play, 1 person from comcast hi speed to be able to play?

Or did you mean IP? as in IP address? If in fact you meant IP, then I'll have to disagree with you. I pay for 2 accounts, I should be able to play 2 accounts. And just because I have 2 accounts doesn't mean I use them to cheat.

I am bothered that you think anyone who has multiple accounts is taking advantage of the money situation and cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, all multi-account holders are not cheating, but, I'll share some of the flaming he's gonna get because I can see his point. I'm hoping that the multiple accounts will dwindle down when we are able to play all 4 of our sims in EA Land simultaneously like you can in BV now. I do hope though that they will have the presence of mind and the ability to create the code such that a person can use single job objects with all 4 of those sims at the same time if they want to, but not the multi-player job objects. I realize there are gonna be people who say they enjoy playing alone, but let's face it.......the people that do that legitimately probably are not 10% of the people that do it, meaning the rest of them are in fact botting. It really sucks that the 10% (random number for the neurotic people that are gonna ask me where I got my numbers from) that are doing things legitimately that they will no longer be able to, but I don't see any real way to eliminate the problem without doing it server-wide, having it affect the good as well as the not-so-good. I'm one of the good ones, sometimes I have played pizza with my own 4 sims because I'd had a long run of people who take forever to list their ingredients in IM pizza, thus making us be able to make less money in the time green goes down and I got sick of it. But, if I have to give up the ability to do that for the sake of a surefire way to keep the economy clean this time, then I'm willing to buck up and deal with it...though I didn't say happily

I

imported_Qute Pi

I don't actually use any of the multi player money objects by myself, so I won't give my opinion on that as it won't effect me.

However its the generalization that if you have multiple accounts (and would be making money x2) that that is cheating, I have a problem with.

If I want to drive myself crazy trying to pay attention to multiple sims doing jams, then I have that right because I pay for 2 accounts. Its no different than 2 friends as roomies pooling their money together.

I have no problem in trying to block people who use bots, but while they are trying to do that, it needs to be realized that we are all still paying customers. And as long as I have a voice I'm going to be against them taking away the ability to play multiple accounts from the same IP at the same time.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't actually use any of the multi player money objects by myself, so I won't give my opinion on that as it won't effect me.

However its the generalization that if you have multiple accounts (and would be making money x2) that that is cheating, I have a problem with.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its not cheating, but it is an advantage over those who cannot afford two accounts. Now that we are able to have 4 sims in EA Land, and once we can play them all at one time, then everybody will be able to have more than one sim, thus ending that unfair advantage....so soon that will be a moot point

<blockquote><hr>

If I want to drive myself crazy trying to pay attention to multiple sims doing jams, then I have that right because I pay for 2 accounts. Its no different than 2 friends as roomies pooling their money together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read my post, I said put a restriction on the multi-player objects, not the single player ones, so you'd still be able to make jams with those sims and even more when we can play all 4 sims simultaneously.

<blockquote><hr>

I have no problem in trying to block people who use bots, but while they are trying to do that, it needs to be realized that we are all still paying customers. And as long as I have a voice I'm going to be against them taking away the ability to play multiple accounts from the same IP at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would anybody need 8 sims at one time online? Think of the money some multi-account holders will be able to save when this is all said and done. 4 sims making money is sufficient enough to make a pretty good living fairly quickly. I don't see any reason to get upset if they do limit things to 1 account per IP. Most of the games Dave (DH) and I play already have a rule like this in their ToS, not because of auto-programs, but because of the unfair advantage a single person would have if they were able to have more than one account, since we're able to have 6 chars on one account there, and we can't even play them simultaneously! In fact, when I've gone to make my own account there to play with them, we've had to talk to the Admins of the game to prove that we are indeed two separate players, husband and wife. Once even in YIM voice so she could actually TALK to both of us. So, this practice is not unheard of and EA would be within their rights to do it.

I

imported_debslee

<blockquote><hr>

No, its not cheating, but it is an advantage over those who cannot afford two accounts. Now that we are able to have 4 sims in EA Land, and once we can play them all at one time, then everybody will be able to have more than one sim, thus ending that unfair advantage....so soon that will be a moot point
<blockquote><hr>

Sorry Carrie but I disagree here along with many others who can/have the ability to have more than one account from one ISP. There is nothing wrong with that - it is ligitimate and who are you to say that its an unfair advantage???? I think its great that EA have the support of ppl who enjoy the game so much that they want to have more than one account, and play more than one character at a time - bring more, the more the merrier I say!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would anybody need 8 sims at one time online? Think of the money some multi-account holders will be able to save when this is all said and done. 4 sims making money is sufficient enough to make a pretty good living fairly quickly. I don't see any reason to get upset if they do limit things to 1 account per IP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree again. I doubt very much that EA will limit more than one account - this is, again ligitimate income to them and I know there will be PLENTY buisness lost from many people if they choose to go this way. If I choose to spend my money on two or more accounts that is my right to do it.....If I can play more than 8 sims at a time, well then I am a good multi tasker!!!!!!
But because you deem it an "unfair advantage" doesnt mean its necessarily so!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Carrie but I disagree here along with many others who can/have the ability to have more than one account from one ISP. There is nothing wrong with that - it is ligitimate and who are you to say that its an unfair advantage???? I think its great that EA have the support of ppl who enjoy the game so much that they want to have more than one account, and play more than one character at a time - bring more, the more the merrier I say!!

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Why would anybody need 8 sims at one time online? Think of the money some multi-account holders will be able to save when this is all said and done. 4 sims making money is sufficient enough to make a pretty good living fairly quickly. I don't see any reason to get upset if they do limit things to 1 account per IP.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree again. I doubt very much that EA will limit more than one account - this is, again ligitimate income to them and I know there will be PLENTY buisness lost from many people if they choose to go this way. If I choose to spend my money on two or more accounts that is my right to do it.....If I can play more than 8 sims at a time, well then I am a good multi tasker!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everything I said was my opinion, which is shared with many others. I think you'd agree that it *is* an advantage, whether it's an unfair one or not, right? As far as the revenue goes, I'm confident that there will be sufficient people crazy enough to partake in the service EA provides in selling simoleans for RL money. At the rate of $1 per 989 simoleans they were talking about, I'm betting they could make quite a good income that way, even taking into account that they will also be giving players RL money when they sell them their simoleans, since it's quite obvious that the rate they pay the players will be significantly lower than the price to buy them from EA. That's not rocket science
. Alot of players have said here that there's no way they'd pay RL money for simoleans, but what they say and what they do isn't always the same thing, so I don't think as many people are against it as claim to be. To that end, I don't think losing multi-account holders will hurt them much. Besides, nobody said you couldn't *have* more than one account.....the question is whether or not they should be allowed to play simultaneously. Many players only have multiple accounts *because* they can play them simultaneously now, but you can only play 1 sim at a time in the production cities. Many players will no longer see the need anyway once we can play 4 sims at once on a single account. And say what you will, but only the top line computers could handle 8 sims at a time, hardware-wise, much less the number of players that could effectively control 8. There may be a few, but the number is not very big or significant, for sure.

*edited to fix pesky UBB quoting probs.

G

Many players will no longer see the need anyway once we can play 4 sims at once on a single account.

Right you are. I'm looking forward to closing a few accounts and using a small part of the money I save to buy a fistful of Simoleans.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

....just hitting reply...

Don't some players have the same IP address because of their service providers? So like if one 1 player per IP address....then only 1 AOL subscriber would be able to play TSO at a time?

HHm....that sure sounds like a fix to me....NOT!!

And once again....others trying to force everyone to play the way THEY think we should play.

People have been using multiple accounts for ages and ages on TSO and I am finding that the devs for once have recognized that fact and have made it less taboo for us to just come out and say it.

If I pay for more then one account, unless TPTB wants to give me a discount on the additional accounts that I own, then all of my fully paid accounts should have the same priveledges as any other account open in TSO. I actually think that people paying multiple subscriptions should actually be rewarded for it and not smacked down.

I have truly enjoyed TSO for a very long time and the investment I made into the game was definitely well worth it. But other then keeping a few accounts, I don't feel the need to continue to make the huge monetary commitment that I have in the past.

(and like Gamer....I have a few accounts that I will no longer need and are actively 'divesting' them of their property prior to deactivation. I think many of us are divesting now. I'm just sorry I waited until Ebay stopped allowing sales cause I could have been a fairly weathly woman.)

G

There seems to be an echo in this thread...

As far as the original post, I know Parizad said they are fighting botters and cheaters. I know it is frustrating but I believe her. I don't think they could get rid of them 100% but I think there will be improvements.

As far as having and playing multiple accounts - life in unfair. Get over it. EA is not going to ban multiple accounts just because they will get money for simoleans. Its a business. Believe it or not the end goal is to make money.

I think the improved communication will definately help going forward. In the past, how often did we see a response to any complaints? I think its too early to tell as far as the economy is concerned.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its not cheating, but it is an advantage over those who cannot afford two accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure EA would prefer to allow someone to run two accounts and therefore receive twice the subscription then decide that every household can only run one account because its not fair to those that can't afford to.

Life isn't fair, never has been, never will be.

Thats a bit like saying its not fair I have a better and therefore faster car then you because I can afford it and you can't. If someone has enough disposal income to be able to afford 2, 3, 4 or however many accounts then give luck to them.

Just because someone might choose to pay for multiple accounts doesn't mean they cheat in any way whatsoever. Sure there are some that do, but lets not generalise and accuse everyone of doing so.

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its not cheating, but it is an advantage over those who cannot afford two accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure EA would prefer to allow someone to run two accounts and therefore receive twice the subscription then decide that every household can only run one account because its not fair to those that can't afford to.

Thats a bit like saying its not fair I have a better and therefore faster car then you because I can afford it and you can't. If someone has enough disposal income to be able to afford 2, 3, 4 or however many accounts then give luck to them.

Just because someone might choose to pay for multiple accounts doesn't mean they cheat in any way whatsoever. Sure there are some that do, but lets not generalise and accuse everyone of doing so.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate the no fair argument.

Ok. So its not fair that I have to work 50-65hours a week so I can be successful enough in life to afford all the little things in life I love plus have multiple accounts for multiple games when some people seem to be able to pay for games without ever having to leave their homes.

This makes me sad, I want to be paid to stay home all day too
I would game and game and game.

EA is in it to make money, not to make a communistic party of the same thing for everyone. People who have more, can get more.

This world is crazy place.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also an advantage over players who can not afford one account.

edit to add quote

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the *having* multiple accounts that I consider to be an advantage over other players, it's playing them simultaneously. In the production cities, it was more necessary and less of a real advantage, because you only had one sim in a city per account, and therefore you couldn't have 4 sims to pizza with unless you were willing/able to fork out $40 a month. If someone's willing/able to do that, then more power to them. But somehow we've got to make some sacrifices to abolish the bot situation. And I didn't say people couldn't/shouldn't HAVE more than one account per IP, I said they shouldn't be run simultaneously once we have the ability to run all 4 of our EA Land sims at a time, on one account.

I know when Dave and I still had two computers, we were able to somehow (I dont' remember how it was done, just that it was) to have separate individual IP addresses, which allowed us to play separately at the same time, him on the desktop, me on the laptop. That's no different than two unrelated people getting together for a game of maze or whatever. Even if they pool resources and therefore have double the income, its still two individuals doing it, so they don't have any more of an advantage than anybody else who does as the game is designed and bands together with other players, however many to accomplish their goals quicker.

But one person having 8 sims, or 12 sims or 16 sims if they are so inclined to keep all four accounts, at once, could conceivably never have to get into that integral part of the game.....socialization. Even if they aren't botting, that still hurts the game because if players don't socialize with each other on some level, then the ones who crave that socialization will get bored and quit, thus losing revenue for EA. (How do I know this can happen? Because this very thing was a factor in my quitting the first time and staying gone for a while....all my friends I made in beta quit, and the ones that were still around didn't really seem all that interested in participating in any convo I started up. Pretty soon I realized I could accomplish that much with offline sims + yahoo so why keep beating my head against the wall trying to get people to reach out, or to accept the friendship offered to them.) A person doesn't have to be botting or violating the ToS to ultimately be contributing to the downfall of the game, of which downfall could lead to the ultimate destruction, since we are STIL teetering on that edge. I haven't seen any posts indicating that things are in the black yet. That means our fate is still uncertain. For the most dedicated players that really want to see the game succeed, I don't think asking them to step just a little bit outside their comfort zone is an unreasonable request, for the good of the game. If a person has some form of a social phobia, or anti-social behavior, they don't have to go to a full lot with 35 sims on it....of course that's gonna scare the hell out of them if they are not accustomed to being around that many people, just like claustrophobics. But they could go to a less crowded lot, that had say.....5-10 on it to start off with....not talk in public chat, but go investigating the people on the lot, trying to get a feel for them by what's in their profile. If they see something that catches their attention in whatever way, send the person a 1 on 1 message....that way you can forget about everybody on the lot and just pretend it is you and that person together alone in the entire TSO world. I've seen first-hand that this method DOES work in overcoming social anxiety or social phobias, so by doing so that person would not only be helping create a positive atmosphere in EA Land, but would also be helping THEMSELVES to overcome a major obstacle. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying its an easy thing to do, but it is a necessary temporary uncomfortableness. It will go away with time, and before too long that same person that could not stand to be around more than just his/her closest friends, can all of a sudden handle the 35 sim lots with no other signs of anxiety than sweaty palms.

Anyway, that's my feeling on it. Until the feature is enabled that allows multi-sims on one account, then fine, let the people keep running their umpteen accounts, as long as they are not botting, and they are not locking themselves up in their own house and never getting out and mingling with the rest of the TSO world. Once we can have 4 sims running at once on one computer, thus emulating 4 accounts the old fashioned way, then I see only negative things coming from allowing those accounts to be run simultaneously.....NOT just allowing the people to have em. Let em have 20 accounts if they want to, as long as they are willing to alternate playing them one at a time.

EA has always said from jumpstreet anyway that they do not and will never support running multiple accounts, but that it was 'technically' not a ToS violation anyway, which if I can't get technical support when a problem arises because I've been running multiple accounts amidst all the rampant bugs we have going in-game right now, then why would I want to risk it, and then come here and pancake because I'd somehow locked myself out of game by doing something I was ill-advised to do in the first place?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

But one person having 8 sims, or 12 sims or 16 sims if they are so inclined to keep all four accounts, at once, could conceivably never have to get into that integral part of the game.....socialization. Even if they aren't botting, that still hurts the game because if players don't socialize with each other on some level, then the ones who crave that socialization will get bored and quit, thus losing revenue for EA.

[/ QUOTE ]

If an individual is not inclined to socialize in game, limiting their accounts is not going to mean they will change into a player who will satisfy the cravings of other players for socialization.

G

<blockquote><hr>

unless you were willing/able to fork out $40 a month. If someone's willing/able to do that, then more power to them. But somehow we've got to make some sacrifices to abolish the bot situation. And I didn't say people couldn't/shouldn't HAVE more than one account per IP, I said they shouldn't be run simultaneously once we have the ability to run all 4 of our EA Land sims at a time, on one account.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't willing to fork over $40 a month then you have no reason to complain. If you aren't able to, then you have bigger problems to worry about then TSO and what other people do with their money.

I don't think regular players should be punished for botters deeds. You already pointed out how you yourself were able to get around having mroe than 1 account per ip so I'm sure botters would figure it out too. Anyway, you know its not going to happen, I know its not going to happen (well there is a very very slim chance... lets put it that way) so its a moot point.

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

What happened to the elimination of simoleans. I thought that this was suppose to be the first in many stages of elimination of cheaters in this so called EA Land., I don't care if you have to wipe simoleans and wipe it again. Please eliminate the simoleans that SOME people are trying to get an advantage of, get rid of the multi account loading from the same isp and once and for all FIX this problem before you have the SAME OLD GAME in a new server......... thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

If they only allowed one per IP to play then 2 people in my household would not be able to play because we are on the same IP. That's not going to work for alot who's mothers, fathers, spouses, brothers, sisters, or children play from the same household.

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

No, all multi-account holders are not cheating, but, I'll share some of the flaming he's gonna get because I can see his point. I'm hoping that the multiple accounts will dwindle down when we are able to play all 4 of our sims in EA Land simultaneously like you can in BV now. I do hope though that they will have the presence of mind and the ability to create the code such that a person can use single job objects with all 4 of those sims at the same time if they want to, but not the multi-player job objects. I realize there are gonna be people who say they enjoy playing alone, but let's face it.......the people that do that legitimately probably are not 10% of the people that do it, meaning the rest of them are in fact botting. It really sucks that the 10% (random number for the neurotic people that are gonna ask me where I got my numbers from) that are doing things legitimately that they will no longer be able to, but I don't see any real way to eliminate the problem without doing it server-wide, having it affect the good as well as the not-so-good. I'm one of the good ones, sometimes I have played pizza with my own 4 sims because I'd had a long run of people who take forever to list their ingredients in IM pizza, thus making us be able to make less money in the time green goes down and I got sick of it. But, if I have to give up the ability to do that for the sake of a surefire way to keep the economy clean this time, then I'm willing to buck up and deal with it...though I didn't say happily

[/ QUOTE ]

They economy is going to be flooded anyway without the botting pizza makers or the 4 account holders making pizza because of the ATM's. Before enabling them they should have put in both options cash in and out.

I myself love to pizza and I like a good team to pizza with also. It is very annoying to pizza with players that go afk, chat and all the other things they do while doing pizza. Believe me I would pizza alone too if I had that many accounts, just for that fact.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

What happened to the elimination of simoleans. I thought that this was suppose to be the first in many stages of elimination of cheaters in this so called EA Land., I don't care if you have to wipe simoleans and wipe it again. Please eliminate the simoleans that SOME people are trying to get an advantage of, get rid of the multi account loading from the same isp and once and for all FIX this problem before you have the SAME OLD GAME in a new server......... thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

If they only allowed one per IP to play then 2 people in my household would not be able to play because we are on the same IP. That's not going to work for alot who's mothers, fathers, spouses, brothers, sisters, or children play from the same household.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, with the other games I have played, you could contact the admins or GMs of the game, and explain that your spouse or child wanted to play the game, and have their own account, and they would make note of that and allow it. The only stipulation being that the two, or 3 or whatever accounts could not be logged in simultaneously for any longer than it takes to transfer items from one char to another, for instance if you needed to do that. I believe this would be a good compromise to account for those like myself now who are sharing a computer with different family members in the same household that all like the same game. If you're sharing a computer, and each individual only has one account, then I don't see a problem with that....as long as the accounts were logged in separately, one at a time. This would cut way down on the bot issue, yet still allow people who do share IPs for whatever reason to all play on their own accounts. It's not a perfect solution, and it does mean changing the way things are done, but I honestly don't see any other way to effectively stop this issue before it gets out of control again. Even IF the dev team has something in the works to combat the problem, chances are very high that the damage will already be significant to the new economy before they get an opportunity to implement it. Especially considering the bugs that are having to be dealt with as top priority, because those are preventing people from being able to play period, even with one account only in some cases. Some people around here are just gonna have to decide how commited they are to making sure that history doesn't repeat itself, and govern themselves without having to be told what is or is not a good idea. Most of us are adults, so I don't understand why this is such a big deal......but then it obviously is, or the condition the production cities were in, even before the big exploit that just blew everything even more out of whack would not have gotten to the point that it did, IMO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

They economy is going to be flooded anyway without the botting pizza makers or the 4 account holders making pizza because of the ATM's. Before enabling them they should have put in both options cash in and out.

I myself love to pizza and I like a good team to pizza with also. It is very annoying to pizza with players that go afk, chat and all the other things they do while doing pizza. Believe me I would pizza alone too if I had that many accounts, just for that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you totally on it being very frustrating to find a skilled team both who all have maxed skills AND have the skill to work fast enough to make the optimum amount of money. This is why I am one who has gained a reputation for being something of a snob, because I tend to play with same 2 or 3 people, and if they are not available for whatever reason, I usually just dont pizza until they are. If I need money badly I'll go do single job objects, because even though the payout is lower, I only have to worry about my own daydreaming/IMing affecting my payout, and not anybody else's.

But no, with the cash-in/cash-out balance that they've discussed on the blog, I don't think just the selling and buying of simoleans will flood the economy without significant help from the botters/exploiters. That's the whole point behind their 'zero economy' plan.

*sigh* People keep saying that they don't want to be penalized because somebody else cheated or does cheat. Nobody fails to realize that anything that can be implemented to effectively squelch the issue has got to be GAME-wide, not just banning those who have strong evidence against them. That method alone cannot control things, because there's those who are so good at finding loopholes that they'll figure out a way not to raise the red flags that EA is looking for, and the only ones that will get busted are those that are so big that they stick out like a sore thumb, or so lacking in knowing how the system works that they don't know how to stay that one step ahead. Even with OWP, there was a way that the bot-makers had figured out how to get around that feature, along with screen shift in what....a couple months? That means that they've got to come up with something that is as near to 100% fool-proof as they can get.....because sure as heck any loopholes that are left will be found by those looking to crawl through them. It really sucks that we have that kind of thing going on, and *those* are the people that the ones who are so against any change affecting them just because they don't cheat, should be mad at, not the ones who are trying to figure out how to combat the problem in a swift and timely manner before irreparable damage (well, besides doing a wipe, and if you think opposition in THIS thread is bad, sit back and watch WWIII sim-style if they figure out how bad things are getting flooded and announce a wipe like they had to when DC first opened.) So, if we don't want to face that possibility within 6 months or so, then I think more people ought to be on board with whatever can prevent that from happening, even if that means they have to modify their current game routine or compromise on something that they really would rather not give up.

The recurring theme seems to be "I don't give a hoot what they do, as long is it doesn't affect me" with regards to plugs to the botting problem......I dunno what it is gonna take to convince people that that attitude is not gonna make things better, but I suspect that what it will take is the final nail in TSO/EA Land's coffin

G

This is a completely impractical solution, because many ISP's like AOL randomly assign IP addresses, per login, making it impossible to keep track of who is on what, when.

It would also be a huge expense to have enough GM's to keep track of every ones IP and ISP and check it against all players, 24/7, just to end up denying service for no good reason.

Botters are by far the lessor evil, than not being able to log in or play......as can clearly be seen anytime a city is down.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The only stipulation being that the two, or 3 or whatever accounts could not be logged in simultaneously for any longer than it takes to transfer items from one char to another, for instance if you needed to do that. I believe this would be a good compromise to account for those like myself now who are sharing a computer with different family members in the same household that all like the same game.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that's a poor compromise. You're pushing the social aspect of the game but at the same time not allowing 2 people in the same household with 2 accounts to play on 2 separate computers at the same time and socialize in game.

B

Bindy

We are allowed to own more than one account so I dont understand what it is you are complaining about here.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you debslee, I agree with you 100%.

I also doubt very much that EA would start limiting accounts. Can you imagine how long the game would stay up and running if those that own more than one account closed all their extra ones down and only kept one open. I know of people that have 5 or more accounts and EA wouldnt want to lose all that money.

It seems that there are those that find "unfair advantages" everywhere in this game. Now its unfair for people to own more than one account because they can earn more than those with only one account. GEEZ! Next it will be something like, make it so everyone can only make 1,000 a day because its not fair if they sit earning money all day if I dont want to. Oh and if I dont want to sit and earn 1,000 a day but they do then give me the 1,000 free, its only fair. LMAO

Im so sorry for being snide but this is getting to be too much. Its a game and some will have better advantages than others, be it higher skills or more than one account. Or be it the simple fact that there are those that set higher goals for themselves and will work harder to earn their way. Its not against the rules to own more than one account and if people want to spend more than $9.99 a month playing this game then its their wallet. There is no reason for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over things like that.

B

Bindy

It's not the *having* multiple accounts that I consider to be an advantage over other players, it's playing them simultaneously. In the production cities, it was more necessary and less of a real advantage, because you only had one sim in a city per account, and therefore you couldn't have 4 sims to pizza with unless you were willing/able to fork out $40 a month. If someone's willing/able to do that, then more power to them. But somehow we've got to make some sacrifices to abolish the bot situation. And I didn't say people couldn't/shouldn't HAVE more than one account per IP, I said they shouldn't be run simultaneously once we have the ability to run all 4 of our EA Land sims at a time, on one account.

I know when Dave and I still had two computers, we were able to somehow (I dont' remember how it was done, just that it was) to have separate individual IP addresses, which allowed us to play separately at the same time, him on the desktop, me on the laptop. That's no different than two unrelated people getting together for a game of maze or whatever. Even if they pool resources and therefore have double the income, its still two individuals doing it, so they don't have any more of an advantage than anybody else who does as the game is designed and bands together with other players, however many to accomplish their goals quicker.

But one person having 8 sims, or 12 sims or 16 sims if they are so inclined to keep all four accounts, at once, could conceivably never have to get into that integral part of the game.....socialization. Even if they aren't botting, that still hurts the game because if players don't socialize with each other on some level, then the ones who crave that socialization will get bored and quit, thus losing revenue for EA. (How do I know this can happen? Because this very thing was a factor in my quitting the first time and staying gone for a while....all my friends I made in beta quit, and the ones that were still around didn't really seem all that interested in participating in any convo I started up. Pretty soon I realized I could accomplish that much with offline sims + yahoo so why keep beating my head against the wall trying to get people to reach out, or to accept the friendship offered to them.) A person doesn't have to be botting or violating the ToS to ultimately be contributing to the downfall of the game, of which downfall could lead to the ultimate destruction, since we are STIL teetering on that edge. I haven't seen any posts indicating that things are in the black yet. That means our fate is still uncertain. For the most dedicated players that really want to see the game succeed, I don't think asking them to step just a little bit outside their comfort zone is an unreasonable request, for the good of the game. If a person has some form of a social phobia, or anti-social behavior, they don't have to go to a full lot with 35 sims on it....of course that's gonna scare the hell out of them if they are not accustomed to being around that many people, just like claustrophobics. But they could go to a less crowded lot, that had say.....5-10 on it to start off with....not talk in public chat, but go investigating the people on the lot, trying to get a feel for them by what's in their profile. If they see something that catches their attention in whatever way, send the person a 1 on 1 message....that way you can forget about everybody on the lot and just pretend it is you and that person together alone in the entire TSO world. I've seen first-hand that this method DOES work in overcoming social anxiety or social phobias, so by doing so that person would not only be helping create a positive atmosphere in EA Land, but would also be helping THEMSELVES to overcome a major obstacle. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying its an easy thing to do, but it is a necessary temporary uncomfortableness. It will go away with time, and before too long that same person that could not stand to be around more than just his/her closest friends, can all of a sudden handle the 35 sim lots with no other signs of anxiety than sweaty palms.

Anyway, that's my feeling on it. Until the feature is enabled that allows multi-sims on one account, then fine, let the people keep running their umpteen accounts, as long as they are not botting, and they are not locking themselves up in their own house and never getting out and mingling with the rest of the TSO world. Once we can have 4 sims running at once on one computer, thus emulating 4 accounts the old fashioned way, then I see only negative things coming from allowing those accounts to be run simultaneously.....NOT just allowing the people to have em. Let em have 20 accounts if they want to, as long as they are willing to alternate playing them one at a time.

EA has always said from jumpstreet anyway that they do not and will never support running multiple accounts, but that it was 'technically' not a ToS violation anyway, which if I can't get technical support when a problem arises because I've been running multiple accounts amidst all the rampant bugs we have going in-game right now, then why would I want to risk it, and then come here and pancake because I'd somehow locked myself out of game by doing something I was ill-advised to do in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go telling others they have to play your way. If someone wants to play 4 accounts at one time and not socialize then its their business. Why get stuck on the fact because its an online game with other players that everyone playing MUST socialize, if not then they need to go play the offline version. If they pay their $9.99 or more a month then its up to them how they play their game.

G

Just replying here...

If by any chance it becomes impossible for me to play both my accounts, I will be bored to death. I usually host with one sim, and make money or skill with the other. I also use my non-hosting mech sim to repair and clean the house I'm hosting, if necessary. Playing just 1 sim at a time is boring to me. When EA makes it possible for us to play more than one sim, on one account, I will still want to play the way I do now. With both accounts, at the same time. And unfair advantage? I'm not making millions on any of my sims, not by a longshot.

I don't know how many players have multiple accounts, but I know it's quite a few. I can't imagine EA wants to lose all that money. It is not 'illegal' to play 2 accounts simultaneously, so I will continue to do so. It's not illegal to want to be alone, and not talk to anyone. If I feel like being alone, I will land at one of my sims properties, where I CAN be alone. And I WILL lock the door whenever I feel like it. It's my house, I will decide if I want it to be open or not. I play the game my way, and let others do the same.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The only stipulation being that the two, or 3 or whatever accounts could not be logged in simultaneously for any longer than it takes to transfer items from one char to another, for instance if you needed to do that. I believe this would be a good compromise to account for those like myself now who are sharing a computer with different family members in the same household that all like the same game.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that's a poor compromise. You're pushing the social aspect of the game but at the same time not allowing 2 people in the same household with 2 accounts to play on 2 separate computers at the same time and socialize in game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are on 2 separate computers, and not on AO-Hell, then there is a one digit difference in the IP address, thus they would have unique IPs, so this problem would not be an issue. The example was of 2 or 3 family members all having separate accounts, yet having to share one computer, thus no unique IP option. If a person is using AO-Hell, then chances are they have alot more issues to be addressed than IP address.

It's a method that would have to be looked at by the dev team, since only they would know how this would be coded into the system, but if it's feasible to have it done, then that would stop the botting issue cold.

Oh and Gilly, when we're talking about the destruction of our new economy, which is what botting will do if allowed to get out of control, then no, I do not consider that to be the lesser of two evils between not being able to play, since it could directly or indirectly lead to the end of the game, thus NOBODY getting to play. Not so benign a problem when you think of it that way.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you debslee, I agree with you 100%.

I also doubt very much that EA would start limiting accounts. Can you imagine how long the game would stay up and running if those that own more than one account closed all their extra ones down and only kept one open. I know of people that have 5 or more accounts and EA wouldnt want to lose all that money.

It seems that there are those that find "unfair advantages" everywhere in this game. Now its unfair for people to own more than one account because they can earn more than those with only one account. GEEZ! Next it will be something like, make it so everyone can only make 1,000 a day because its not fair if they sit earning money all day if I dont want to. Oh and if I dont want to sit and earn 1,000 a day but they do then give me the 1,000 free, its only fair. LMAO

Im so sorry for being snide but this is getting to be too much. Its a game and some will have better advantages than others, be it higher skills or more than one account. Or be it the simple fact that there are those that set higher goals for themselves and will work harder to earn their way. Its not against the rules to own more than one account and if people want to spend more than $9.99 a month playing this game then its their wallet. There is no reason for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over things like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have totally missed the boat, as usual. The main point of limiting players to logging in[/i] (not having, I don't care if someone has 20 accounts with 100,000 on each account ppfft)with more than one account isn't the unfair advantage issue.....that's totally secondary. The main issue is to squelch the bptting that has already started to show up, within 30 days of the opening of EA Land. I hope you're not sitting there saying you don't care about the botting and the effect it will have on the economy....but if you're one of the 'if it doesn't affect me I don't care and I will go along with any change as long as it doesnt cause me to change one iota of the way I play' players, then maybe you are saying exactly that

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just replying here...

If by any chance it becomes impossible for me to play both my accounts, I will be bored to death. I usually host with one sim, and make money or skill with the other. I also use my non-hosting mech sim to repair and clean the house I'm hosting, if necessary. Playing just 1 sim at a time is boring to me. When EA makes it possible for us to play more than one sim, on one account, I will still want to play the way I do now. With both accounts, at the same time. And unfair advantage? I'm not making millions on any of my sims, not by a longshot.

I don't know how many players have multiple accounts, but I know it's quite a few. I can't imagine EA wants to lose all that money. It is not 'illegal' to play 2 accounts simultaneously, so I will continue to do so. It's not illegal to want to be alone, and not talk to anyone. If I feel like being alone, I will land at one of my sims properties, where I CAN be alone. And I WILL lock the door whenever I feel like it. It's my house, I will decide if I want it to be open or not. I play the game my way, and let others do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, playing 1 sim at a time is almost as dis-interesting as watching your sim skill and not doing anything AFK. However, soon the feature will be set up so that we can play all of our sims on one account at the same time, as far as EA Land goes. I don't know if we will be able to have them at different props...I suspect not since we can't have our BV families separated except to send one member to a job, but perhaps we will be able to put one in a money lot and the others elsewhere....but that would solve your issue of using a sim with mech to fix stuff, anyway regardless of how the other issue plays out

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I hope you're not sitting there saying you don't care about the botting and the effect it will have on the economy....

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am not mistaken, one of the devs (Lee?) was recently asked about botting and his answer I quote from a thread elsewhere on these boards, "I am not worried about bots."

If the devs ain't worried...

Are you familiar with the story "Chicken Little"?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Oh and Gilly, when we're talking about the destruction of our new economy, which is what botting will do if allowed to get out of control, then no, I do not consider that to be the lesser of two evils between not being able to play, since it could directly or indirectly lead to the end of the game, thus NOBODY getting to play. Not so benign a problem when you think of it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not the botters, who were mainly at fault for messing up the economy so badly, it was the exploiters.....and the basic lack in the game, of any way to adjust and redress the flood of simoleons from the many exploits over the years, so that they continued to throw things out of kilter, long after the actual exploit was fixed.

It was not the botters that drove this game to near-extinction, that was done by the lack of all the things that the dev's have been correcting: graphics, custom content, new content, bug fixes, modern software/hardware and most importantly....A development team to provide all of this!

The demise of this game has never been about the botters....they have just served as the focus, for everyone's frustration and anger.

But it is all moot now, because the game is now programed to spot and adjust for exploits, botters and imbalances caused by overuse of money objects....without any need for the game or anyone else to turn into vigilantes or fascist, on paying subscribers, their accounts or their playing habits.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

Don't faint, Gilly -- I agree.

It is much more satisfying, in a reactionary sort of way, to want the botters to be the target of our wrath. Like the villagers with the torches and pitchforks in those old monster movies, we would love to be able to storm the doors of a locked house and catch the evil doers in the act.

All the botters in the game to this point wouldn't have wreaked anywhere near the havoc the expoiters managed to do in a very short time last year.

And, I repeat -- if the devs ain't worried about bots at this point in time, who am I to invest in a pitchfork and torch?

G

<blockquote><hr>

If they are on 2 separate computers, and not on AO-Hell, then there is a one digit difference in the IP address, thus they would have unique IPs, so this problem would not be an issue. The example was of 2 or 3 family members all having separate accounts, yet having to share one computer, thus no unique IP option. If a person is using AO-Hell, then chances are they have alot more issues to be addressed than IP address.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that is correct. It is my understanding that the world outside of my router only sees one IP address regardless of how many PC's I connect to the router.

I

imported_Spaghetti Legs

<blockquote><hr>

If I am not mistaken, one of the devs (Lee?) was recently asked about botting and his answer I quote from a thread elsewhere on these boards, "I am not worried about bots."

[/ QUOTE ]

My take on Lee's comment about botting: He is not worried about it, because it is being monitored and taken care of.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

My take on Lee's comment about botting: He is not worried about it, because it is being monitored and taken care of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Or whatever.

In any case, if the devs ain't worried about bots, there is no point in players getting their knickers in a twist. Either its being monitored and taken care of, or something else, and in any case, it isn't within our arena of control.

B

Bindy

You have totally missed the boat, as usual. The main point of limiting players to logging in[/i] (not having, I don't care if someone has 20 accounts with 100,000 on each account ppfft)with more than one account isn't the unfair advantage issue.....that's totally secondary. The main issue is to squelch the bptting that has already started to show up, within 30 days of the opening of EA Land. I hope you're not sitting there saying you don't care about the botting and the effect it will have on the economy....but if you're one of the 'if it doesn't affect me I don't care and I will go along with any change as long as it doesnt cause me to change one iota of the way I play' players, then maybe you are saying exactly that

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I dont think it's me thats missed the boat this time, but oh well. What I was saying is...I dont see ANYTHING wrong with people playing two accounts or three or how ever many they want to at the same time. I do not consider to be a form of "cheating'.

Do botters effect me? Well to be honest I have to say no they dont. Sorry but I dont "let" them bother me like they seem to bother some of you. I guess its because most of the online games Ive played has had some sort of botters or farmers just sitting there making fake money to sell for real. Its a fact of life so I dont let it bother me anymore. I never liked the fact that people could get away with it but I dont let it effect my game play any.

I am most deffinately not going along with any changes within this game. If anything I have been pretty vocal about disliking what they are doing to this game.

I just dont see why you're having a hissy fit over people playing more than one account at the same time. Just beacuse someone plays more than one account at the same time does NOT mean they are cheating or botting. They are paying for the right to play as many as they want and they should be allowed to play their game as they prefer to play it. If that means they sit in there homes playing alone with their say 4 sims pizzing that is their business and no one has a right to tell anyone how they should play any damn game.

By making it so people cant log in more than one account at a time from one pc is NOT going to solve anything as far as botters go. You see if I wanted to bot and couldnt log in more than one at a time Id just get myself another pc and log that one in and so on and so forth. If they are making that much off botting in this pitiful game then I could see them doing that. So punishing people that have more than one account and not allowing them to log in two or more at a time will not solve a damn thing. All it will do is make more people say to hell with this game and make them leave. If that's what your trying to do then keep it up and the game will be gone pretty damn fast.

S

Simsaholic

If EA kept us from having multiple accounts that would be the kiss of death for TSO.
It would be GAME OVER.

D

dinaj

I think the devs are on the ball with this one, in TC3 I have heard of many sims losing some of their money when it was made to quickly with no feasible explanination.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

**just hitting reply.

First off, let's clear up poster's definitions of 'botting'.

To me, a botter is a person that uses a 3rd party software. This software is programmed to lead sims through a specific set of tasks such as making pizza and basic greening.

These sims are left to run on their own via the 3rd party software in order to raise money either for personal use or for real money sales.

THAT's botting.

There needs to be a tool developed by EA where they can readily spot when 3rd party software is being employed and take action to stop the usage of the 3rd party software.

(That would include not only pizza but pet pulling too. Sure haven't heard anyone complaining about the 'pet-finder' software.)

As for 'complainers' of multiple players, I think ya folks need to get over the fact that some of us have multiple accounts. Many of the online games on the net DO have many players that own multiple accounts.

I wish some of these folks would get over it and go about their own business and stop arbitrarily bashing multiple account owners. And that includes the making of snide, contrary, passive aggressive comments also.