• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Don't forget to make your monthly support Donation!

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just had a brilliant idea but forgot it.

but maybe the mods should limit a persons posts to a certain number a day to stop spamming and people that cannot help it.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Let's make it a new rule - whenever we meet a Stratics moderator in real life, he or she is obliged to give us a sandwich.

@Petra Fyde better prepare yourself. No onions and no pasta on my sandwich. Pasta on a sandwich is just too weird... And whatever you do, leave the garlic out. Salad is fine with me as is ham. Looking forward to meet (all of you) soon!

About the donation stuff: Sorry, I am too poor to donate. Look at me, I am asking complete strangers for sandwiches.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I just had a brilliant idea but forgot it.

but maybe the mods should limit a persons posts to a certain number a day to stop spamming and people that cannot help it.
Nah... bad idea. Personally, you usually make me smile (or "chuckle" may be more accurate), so please don't ask for limits. :)

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why apologize for complementing me?

Now throw some gold in the beggars cup.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i still dont understand what the operating costs go to. its only like 50 bucks for a server, its supposed to be run by volunteers. very confused. maybe someone with more knowledge of websites could shine some light on the subject. I know the site doesnt earn much, maybe 600-1200 a month, but shouldnt that more than cover costs? not trying to cause trouble or anything, just genuinely confused on why donations are needed. or maybe my research was wrong and stratics is making basically nothing? anyone with web knowlege i would love to not be so confused !

Last edited:

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Part of it is bandwidth I imagine... you have to have not only a server that can handle the traffic, but the connection for folks to access it reasonably well. A standard everyday internet connection probably doesn't cut it for not only accessing the forums, but also downloads, website, uploads, etc. That $440 may not be just UO as well as Stratics does forums for other games too... UO is just the most popular.

Current folks online at the time of this post is 176
http://stratics.com/community/online/

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Part of it is bandwidth I imagine... you have to have not only a server that can handle the traffic, but the connection for folks to access it reasonably well. A standard everyday internet connection probably doesn't cut it for not only accessing the forums, but also downloads, website, uploads, etc. That $440 may not be just UO as well as Stratics does forums for other games too... UO is just the most popular.

Current folks online at the time of this post is 176
http://stratics.com/community/online/
ahh ok. well that makes a little more sense. 2gigs a day doesnt seem like alot to me but would account for some of it, and maybe they have excess bandwith in case there is a surge in useage for some reason.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The breakdown is 200 on booze, 200 on drugs, 40 on hoes.

No wonder the mods flip out, they need more hoe cash.
id definitely donate if dodgers breakdowns were true, much more exciting than bandwith. oh and some boats too. even if it was just a stratics rowboat filled with dodger's bikini babes.

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
It takes a bit more than just a Server and some mods believe me ;)

Mods dont get fired, alot quit because of real life - its not easy to keep the Balance between this two Jobs, and if the going gets tough....you know the end..

Costs per month are what you see on the donation line and it doesnt cover any other expenses that could apear you cant imagine, compareable to a Company IRL
This expenses and sometimes goodies for you peeps are than covered by most of the mods with their spare $$$ for the love ot Stratics and the games..

And...they love it....especially if they get a thank you and a smile once a week or so - take Kelmo out of this, he is happy with a raw rib a week or so... ;-)

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Let's make it a new rule - whenever we meet a Stratics moderator in real life, he or she is obliged to give us a sandwich.

@Petra Fyde better prepare yourself. No onions and no pasta on my sandwich. Pasta on a sandwich is just too weird... And whatever you do, leave the garlic out. Salad is fine with me as is ham. Looking forward to meet (all of you) soon!

About the donation stuff: Sorry, I am too poor to donate. Look at me, I am asking complete strangers for sandwiches.

Petra would be prolly happy to provide you with a Cookie if you ever believe she would let you in her house if you find her somewere in the world thought ;)

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dodger, be good!
We tend not to fire mods - in fact I don't remember ever doing it while I've been admin. We do lose moderators, usually to a nasty case of Real Life.
*cough* Rico *cough*

but he's "special"...

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Petra would be prolly happy to provide you with a Cookie if you ever believe she would let you in her house if you find her somewere in the world thought ;)
I don't want to be an intruder in her house, no worries.

But maybe I'll meet her in between two speeches at Speaker's Corner or something. This is a small world and there's only so many places UO players usually go to. Speaker's Corner, Neuschwanstein Castle, ... Maybe she even drops runes to her shop?

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Let me emphasize that it's all about the free sandwich. It needs to be good, healthy and tasty. And garlic free. If it's Petra Fyde or the kelmo... that's not the point. Petra is just so much more famous.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It takes a bit more than just a Server and some mods believe me ;)
I know this is completely off topic, but I've never seen it before so was wondering if you could explain it.

On your accounts title banners, it says Board of Directors and Staff Alumnus....if your on the Board of Directors doesn't that mean you still volunteer for Stratics...so how can you have the title that says you retired from Stratics, and the title that says you volunteer for Stratics at the same time?

Sorry for the random question, I am just really curious :)

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Well Hello Everyone!

We are still sitting at 24% lets see if we can gt to 50% by Sunday night.

That would mean we would need

12 people to donate $10

or

6 people to Donate $20

or

3 People to Donate $40

I am pretty sure we can wrap this up as a community in just a few days!

Thanks for all the great discussion and attention to this campaign.

let's get rolling!

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I know this is completely off topic, but I've never seen it before so was wondering if you could explain it.

On your accounts title banners, it says Board of Directors and Staff Alumnus....if your on the Board of Directors doesn't that mean you still volunteer for Stratics...so how can you have the title that says you retired from Stratics, and the title that says you volunteer for Stratics at the same time?

Sorry for the random question, I am just really curious :)
Its pretty simple, i dont act in daily business anymore but still support stratics and the team out of my dark cell whenever i can. Most of it isnt visible but thats fine, no need to be in the spotlight :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the response :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It means he's a behind the scenes ninja Dodger :)

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could tell you but it may ruin your faith, or worse anger Petra. :)