• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Don't forget to make your monthly support Donation!

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Hi All,

It doesn't take a lot to support the cost of these forums and the history contained withing. 17 years is a lot of history.

I really appreciate those who stepped up last month from our community to give a little bit you really make a difference for the rest of the users out there.

We achieved the goal to fully fund last month! Even without an incentive from the Rares community challenge!

You also set an excellent example.

Honestly I do not care if the donation is $1 or if your guild decides to sponsor a month.

The fact that we take the lead as a community in this sets the example and standard for the rest while at the same time we help preserve what we know is important.

We all benefit from these forums and its always good to give a little back when we can.

Giving is either with your time (as a mod or support staff) or with your $$$ when you do not have time.

Besides let's be honest. That Stratics Supporter ribbon looks pretty cool on our avatar.

Here is the link take a minute and drop a couple of $$ and say thanks to all those who are working hard for our benefit.

Thanks All!

http://stratics.com/community/goals/monthly-operating-costs.1/

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Off to a good start only a few hours into this months campaign and we are at 3% !

Thank You. I appreciate all the support you folks give to growing our community as a whole.

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well to be fair I do pay towards the upkeep of other forums I use. But I feel stratics staff are too ready to hand out fractions and bans for the slightest things. Discussions are locked/deleted, threads left looking like Swiss cheese with the amount of holes left in them after half the reply's being deletes. If I were to donate the staff would need to be held more responsible for there actions on here

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Well to be fair I do pay towards the upkeep of other forums I use. But I feel stratics staff are too ready to hand out fractions and bans for the slightest things. Discussions are locked/deleted, threads left looking like Swiss cheese with the amount of holes left in them after half the reply's being deletes. If I were to donate the staff would need to be held more responsible for there actions on here
I can appreciate that feedback friend.

The best thing to do is just proceed when you feel comfortable. The staff is all volunteers who contribute a lot of personal hours to support our community. I am sure it is hard to please everyone and it is often a thankless job. The Forums are just a part of the community resources your contributions support. The knowledge base for example would be another.

I appreciate your openness

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I pay for the stratics Pro.... I think that qualifies as doing my part...

I also support Pinco in what I can when I can... and I encourage others who use and enjoy Pinco's UI to do the same.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe make it that if you pay you could ignore the Roc, I would pay for that.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry for the double post but instead of just accepting rl cash couldn't you accept ingame donations of gold, rares and arties and auction them once a month for rl money?

http://beesbeesbees.com/ Do not click this

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Dag Nabbit
If you're under the impression that's what happened, you are totally mistaken.
@Dodger Selling in game gold for cash is a breach of UO's ToS. That's why we don't allow it on the forums. We can't therefore do it ourselves.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could broker the "donations", we split the profit fifty, fifty and I get a free "ignore roc pass go and collect $200".

Someone has to come up with an easier way to fund this than passing a hat around every month.

>-\-0* me sleeping, dreaming of uo

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's easy. She submitted a heck of a lot of questions on the thread we took questions on.
We took questions on Stratics, and Wraith took them via email from her uo facebook post, for 2 days (a was stated in the uo.com notice).

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Is there any further breakdown of what the operating costs consist of?

How much $$$ is it for a guild to 'sponsor' a month?

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have another suggestion, we play high low here. Lose you owe a dollar, win you get to be a mod for a minute, both accrue.

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I am a pest, plain and simple.
Not a knock on you personally,Tina,but when I watched the recording of the Q&A and saw four straight questions authored by you right off the bat,I stopped watching the video. I was in a bad mood that day already and to see "Another question from Tina Small" pushed my BS meter into the red.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dag, pay me to assassinate Tina in game. Just need shard, character name, 5m per successful kill.

This is how I made my billions.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do not think that at all,but I am curious as to how Tina Small got so many questions asked on her behalf during the last Developer Q&A.
They asked us for questions. I myself asked 4 or 5 I think and they answered them all in a row, even one that really was not a question, but just tossed in ,in hopes "someone" would be reading it. :) Wager they answered every questions asked if they bothered with my non-question. ima nobodie.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do not think that at all,but I am curious as to how Tina Small got so many questions asked on her behalf during the last Developer Q&A.
Perhaps because Tina posted numerous questions in the thread for submissions?

I dont always see eye to eye with Tina, but not really sure what you are trying to get at.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is there any further breakdown of what the operating costs consist of?

How much $$$ is it for a guild to 'sponsor' a month?
Stratics lists their total monthly expenses at $440 on the donation page. So if a guild sponsored the month, they would donate $440 or more.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Stratics lists their total monthly expenses at $440 on the donation page. So if a guild sponsored the month, they would donate $440 or more.
Yes - I saw the $440 on the link, but was wondering what the breakdown of that amonut consisted of (i.e., $200 server fees, $50 license fee), so on and so forth. Just the accountant in me to ask about it.

I wasn't presuming a sponsorship required paying the full monthly balance. Was just openly wondering if a sponsorship was less.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still think the t-shirts would work, allow people to choose the quote, avatar, they like and print it on a t-shirt, cap, coffee cup, mousepad and charge them.

I want a Norrington tattoo.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok auction off mod and developer services. I would pay ten bucks to watch them all fight in the arena, there can only be one.

Why did they sack you? The severance pay musta sucked

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Things seem to be moving along nicely we are at 24% funded and I have had some nice communications to look for people donations after payday.

I really appreciate the community getting around this effort on a monthly basis.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why did she quit?
The guys are correct... I wasn't fired. I retired due to having 3 teens at home, a full schedule offline and only so much sanity. *winks* It takes quite a few hours each week to be a moderator, especially if the forum has any significant traffic. I have held many positions over the numerous years I've volunteered for Stratics including moderator, news manager, reporter and even an admin at one time as I recall. I did it for the love of the community, as I suspect most volunteers do. You may have had a bad run-in with some... but your prejudice towards all is ill-placed in my perspective.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pfft oh noes he asked why a moderator quit, get back on topic and keep begging.;)

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Pfft oh noes he asked why a moderator quit, get back on topic and keep begging.;)
Hmm let's see

Begging or panhandling is the practice of imploring others to grant a favor, often a gift of money, with little or no expectation of reciprocation. Beggars may be found in public places such as transport routes, urban parks, and near busy markets. Besides money, they may also ask for food, drink, cigarettes or other small items.

Now let's compare that to

The Virtue of Compassion has been described thusly:

“Compassion is nonjudgmental empathy for one’s fellow creatures.”

I see these community campaigns as an exercise in the Virtue of Compassion.

The gifts these people are giving to help support our community do not come with nothing in return.

They are an acknowledgement of all the hard work that many many volunteers over the last 17 years. Respect for the countless hours they donated creating this community and all the knowledge that lies within it.

I for one very much appreciate those individuals and their countless hours of Sacrifice (another Virtue) to create what we have today.

A little coin here and there on a monthly basis to say thank you and acknowledge their efforts is showing Compassion and thanks for their hard work and Sacrifices.

In essence your small contribution tell them that what they have worked so hard to create really does have tangible value. A well deserved thank you goes a long way as well.

Last edited:

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm let's see

Begging or panhandling is the practice of imploring others to grant a favor, often a gift of money, with little or no expectation of reciprocation. Beggars may be found in public places such as transport routes, urban parks, and near busy markets. Besides money, they may also ask for food, drink, cigarettes or other small items.

Now let's compare that to

The Virtue of Compassion has been described thusly:

“Compassion is nonjudgmental empathy for one’s fellow creatures.”

I see these community campaigns as an exercise in the Virtue of Compassion.

The gifts these people are giving to help support our community do not come with nothing in return.

They are an acknowledgement of all the hard work that many many volunteers over the last 17 years. Respect for the countless hours they donated creating this community and all the knowledge that lies within it.

I for one very much appreciate those individuals and their countless hours of Sacrifice (another Virtue) to create what we have today.

A little coin here and there on a monthly basis to say thank you and acknowledge their efforts is showing Compassion and thanks for their hard work and Sacrifices.

In essence your small contribution tell them that what they have worked so hard to create really does have tangible value. A well deserved thank you goes a long way as well.
beg /bɛg/

verb ask someone earnestly or humbly for something. "he begged his fellow passengers for help" synonyms: beseech, entreat, implore, adjure, plead with, appeal to, pray to; More

I beg you to stop. ;)

Oh and thank you.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
beg /bɛg/

verb ask someone earnestly or humbly for something. "he begged his fellow passengers for help" synonyms: beseech, entreat, implore, adjure, plead with, appeal to, pray to; More

I beg you to stop. ;)

Oh and thank you.
You don't have to beg me to do anything friend. You can take charge of your own destiny and comfort by simply putting me on ignore.

*fills his glass from the bottle of Good Old Moonglow Red and returns to the conversation at hand about the future of Sosaria*

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I won't put you on ignore, you are one of the few people here that I enjoy reading.

I apologize, I am flippant and compulsive, not a good mix.

Please don't take offence at anything I say, my intentions were good I just wanted to explore other avenues of revenue because there must be many untapped wells out there.

Troop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guys are correct... I wasn't fired. I retired due to having 3 teens at home, a full schedule offline and only so much sanity. *winks* It takes quite a few hours each week to be a moderator, especially if the forum has any significant traffic. I have held many positions over the numerous years I've volunteered for Stratics including moderator, news manager, reporter and even an admin at one time as I recall. I did it for the love of the community, as I suspect most volunteers do. You may have had a bad run-in with some... but your prejudice towards all is ill-placed in my perspective.
Well thanks for being helpful on the forums. I'm sure that it takes a lot of time to be a moderator.