• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does UO ... Have a Future?

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New boosters are cool for existing players, but I don't think they do much for drawing in new players. What they need, if not a new expansion, is a new SKU - a new boxed set on the shelves.
I don't know about the US, but in the UK most game shops, if they even carry PC games, which many don't now, have a tiny, tiny section with big names only. I'm not sure if UO would get much of a boost from that these days.

If UO went onto Steam... but EA owns UO, so that's not going to happen while Origin is around.

Last edited:

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know about the US, but in the UK most game shops, if they even carry PC games, which many don't now, have a tiny, tiny section with big names only. I'm not sure if UO would get much of a boost from that these days.
At least in the US, game shops (which do cater to console player, granted) aren't the only place that sells PC games.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am really desperate for some new content. Let's be honest the last chunk of content we got was Stygian Abyss and that was over 3 years ago. Sure there have been things here and there (mostly live story) but I'd love a proper expansion. I know a lot of players that would return to the game if a new expansion done as well as Stygian Abyss was offered.
I will be ready for an expansion soon..... If we have no sight of one I will be closing some accounts down and still play but with a lot less accounts :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't seem to quit... even though more and more of my friends have gone... I feel so alone most of the time but then when folk are around the fun returns.

I sure hear and understand the feeling that I'm playing a solo game. However on GL there is almost always chatter in Gen Chat.. most of it is a bunch of Fellies crying about who did what to when or who's house hidding or where they are please come kill them... Or some scammer trying to get gold for something or another or someone trying to trade or sell whatever they just picked up... but many times you might catch someone saying HEY I'm going to do despise if anyone is interested.... Or We are doing an Exodus run.... or even someone tossing nets here or there or something like that. I sometimes hear folk say they have keys to Medusa or to join them in Navrey...

But to me the game is what you make of it. If you are always waiting for someone else to bring you something to do than I suppose you may have a LONG wait... but if you go out and create something fun and invite folk along you might be surprised and find some new friends.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They build it, I will come. Breaks are fine but I always get board with the newest thing. It's nice to come "home" and find all new things to do, new friends to make, etc.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to quit but the Rare's community threatens to come after me if I quit so I have to stay till the end for the fear of my life :gee:

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If UO went onto Steam... but EA owns UO, so that's not going to happen while Origin is around.
UK shops won't stock it. Even when SE was new the only copies they had in our local GAME were pre orders. 3 of them. 2 for us and one for our son :D

To answer the OP. I have no plans for quitting any time soon.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In UO you can log in and just be your character, living out his or her daily live in a fantasy milieu. Your character can have a revenue stream, overhead, regular customers, a physical store to keep track of. Your character can be the equivalent of a sustenance farmer except it'd be reagents and Imbuing ingredients and gold that he or she farmed instead of crops; just using what you make and making what you use. You see people going to one bank consistently just because they like that town and are attached to it. They get Loyalty points for that city for the same reason. One can play UO for a couple of hours a week and your character can live a semi-complete fantasy life inside this vaguely medieval/renaissance environment and deliberately never touch the broader story around you.

Or you can become deeply involved and have as much of an impact on the story as (or at least the appearance of such an impact) one of the Epic Heroes you occasionally run into.

If any other game captures that, that unique mix of the mundane and the fantastical both existing within a fantastical environment, they keep it well-hidden. It's not my impression that other games have that, and that impression is based largely on what players say and what other games' manufacturers tell me through advertisement and press releases. In other words if other games have that mix they don't like to talk about it.

Assuming EA doesn't just go nuts one day? (Always a possibility....) Then, as long as UO keeps what I described, UO quite likely has a future.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In UO you can log in and just be your character, living out his or her daily live in a fantasy milieu. Your character can have a revenue stream, overhead, regular customers, a physical store to keep track of. Your character can be the equivalent of a sustenance farmer except it'd be reagents and Imbuing ingredients and gold that he or she farmed instead of crops; just using what you make and making what you use. You see people going to one bank consistently just because they like that town and are attached to it. They get Loyalty points for that city for the same reason. One can play UO for a couple of hours a week and your character can live a semi-complete fantasy life inside this vaguely medieval/renaissance environment and deliberately never touch the broader story around you.

Or you can become deeply involved and have as much of an impact on the story as (or at least the appearance of such an impact) one of the Epic Heroes you occasionally run into.

If any other game captures that, that unique mix of the mundane and the fantastical both existing within a fantastical environment, they keep it well-hidden. It's not my impression that other games have that, and that impression is based largely on what players say and what other games' manufacturers tell me through advertisement and press releases. In other words if other games have that mix they don't like to talk about it.

Assuming EA doesn't just go nuts one day? (Always a possibility....) Then, as long as UO keeps what I described, UO quite likely has a future.

-Galen's player
Wow, Galen. I'm quoting this because this is one of the best synopses of UO I've read to date.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In UO you can log in and just be your character, living out his or her daily live in a fantasy milieu. - - etc.

-Galen's player

Yesterday I hunted for hours, too long a time but didn't find what I was hunting for and that scared me!! I went to bed disappointed and worried that the spawn had been stopped. So, today, when I had a few minutes to spare, I went back a few times, to hunt for my favorite item!
- - And YAYE .... :banana:

So long as they don't mess with my favorite spawn, I'll be happy!

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do wonder what most people do, do. I've just been working on skills, but I am sure there are a lot of other things to do.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New lands...NO we don't need more we have lands that haven't been touched in years..Ilsh for one hell I've never even stepped into Ilsh except for on my blue before I went red to res in spirituality..I mean exodus has found his way there but we do need new content to keep us busy for a few more years till we get a major revamp

- revamp all plate/bone/stone armor
- revamp all weapons to balance them out
- revisit races and racial bonus
- tweak weapon damages
- revisit loot tables

..and in the process don't break anything else!

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My accounts are only still active so I don't lose my houses. I've been playing The Old Republic and LotRO instead and hell, I may check out WoW.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the only thing that can keep UO going at this point is to have a campaign to get ex-players to come back, give UO another try, and stay around for a while. However, I honestly don't know if EA would be willing to put the time and money into planning and supporting such a campaign. I'm also unsure whether current players would be willing to temporarily call a truce with each other over long-standing differences in opinion on where the game "needs to go" and support such a campaign, and whether the schemers and the scammers who treat UO as a source of RL income instead of just entertainment would leave it alone sufficiently to let it be something of a success.
I came back.