• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does Tracking work like it's supposed to?

G

Hey all.

I just read through my UO Renn. Manual, and the description for tracking says that the skill will detect players, creatures, etc... that have RECENTLY PASSED THROUGH an area. In my experience with Tracking, all it does is detects all the players/whatever category within a couple of screens of yourself.

My question and request is, can we make tracking viable to actually follow people or monsters, or is it already? Also, is it at max capacity at 21 skill still?

Thanks!

G

That sounds like a poetic way to say "stuff that's pretty close to you," I believe.

S

Sees Far

Actually, BluGnome is right - it's inaccurate.

It would be cool to have an expanded tracking ability, though.

From www.trackerschool.com :

"When we track, we pick up a string. At the far end of that string a being is moving, existing, still connected to the track that we gaze upon. The animal's movement is still contained in that track, along with the smallest of external and internal details. As we follow these tracks, we begin to become the very animal we track. Our awareness expands from the animal we have become to the landscape it reacted to and is played by. We feel the influence of all things that surround us and our awareness expands from our consciousness to the mind of the animal and finally to the very cosmos. In tracking and awareness, then, there can never be a seperation. One without the other is but half a story, and incomplete picture, thus an incomplete understanding. It is the track that connects us to that grand consciousness and expands us to limitless horizons."

-- The Science and Art of Tracking

G

I apologize for our documentation all the time, but I refuse to apologize for the manual for a seven-year-old expansion pack :p

G

<blockquote><hr>

My question and request is, can we make tracking viable to actually follow people or monsters, or is it already? Also, is it at max capacity at 21 skill still?

[/ QUOTE ]
On the last point, Tracking is no longer 100% useful at 21 skill. In fact, it is about 0%. Chance to track is now based on your target's Hiding + Stealth. On top of that, if you don't have Detect Hidden, at 100 Tracking you are only 50% effective.

Also the range isn't a few screens, it is barely one. And if there are more than 16 potential targets you don't get an accurate picture of what there is to track. There is a lot of work that could be done to improve the tracking skill.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I apologize for our documentation all the time, but I refuse to apologize for the manual for a seven-year-old expansion pack :p

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, thanks

I wasn't asking for an apology. I was asking for clarification.

Thanks to the posters who replied with helpful answers. I also hope that Tracking can see some improvements in the future. As well as Herding, Item ID, taste ID...

Take care.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also along the same lines.
if you are hidden you have a less chance to passivlly detect someone who is activlly stealthing.
and if you are out in the open you have a LOT higher chance to pop someone who is activlly stealthing and you are passivlly tracking/detecting.

not sure if that was intended, but we tested the heck out of that a while back.

also, at GM tracking and GM detect hidden you still dont detect or especilly track anyone who is GM hide and GL stealth, at all, very often, once in a blue moon.
its not that bad, but it sure seems like it in the middle of a faction battle!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

DO IT! NOW!

G

What planet are you from??????? I have folk track me all the time.... with just the 20 human ability..... and I have 120 stealthing and GM hiding.... Bunch of you know what if you ask me... I also have a GM tracker and I think if you have GM tracking you should be able to tell things like... Joe Somebody cast Gate Travel from x spot 1 min ago.... and Sally NoOne recalled out from there... x, y and Z passed through going North in the last 3 min and A, B and C are in the area would and would you like to follow any of them.... and the usual box appears with A, B and C.... But those are just my random wishes. I'd also like my 220 points of skill to be worth a bit more than Joe Somebody's 20 human base skill.

G

I just wish there were more interesting ways to work on it ... I was training on Walker's quest in New Haven the other day and even with the accelerated gains, it was very tedious with no real gameplay involved (hiding and stealth training at the low end have a similar problem) ... alas, not an easy thing to simply "fix".

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
On the last point, Tracking is no longer 100% useful at 21 skill. In fact, it is about 0%. Chance to track is now based on your target's Hiding + Stealth. On top of that, if you don't have Detect Hidden, at 100 Tracking you are only 50% effective.

Also the range isn't a few screens, it is barely one. And if there are more than 16 potential targets you don't get an accurate picture of what there is to track. There is a lot of work that could be done to improve the tracking skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll settle for a pointer that actually points to my targets location. At Gm Tracking GM Detect, if I find a hidden play with 0 hiding/stealth, the points is still a good 2 inches off of my target. It should point right at the top of his/her head...fix that part please.

M

matthew123

how about,when you track a stealther with gm track and detect it will show them to you grey like they are still hiding from everyone else but you can see them,instead of arrow