• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does luck affect ToT drops?

D

Dragonchilde

just what it says. :) Will hitting my luck statue improve my chances of getting ToTs? Not any specific one-- just make getting them faster.

J

Jermosh

I am going to say no. Both my Bard with a 2k luck suit and my Mage without any luck get about 1 Martie per 40k doing wolves and Rune beetles.
But I do seem to remember hearing that luck does have an influence from UO though, so maybe I am just doing something wrong.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

In theory, yes, in practice, it's anyone's guess as stories tend to be all over the road on how much if any Luck should be worn.

K

Katlene

char a) i had 1900 luck, 2 hours 2 tartys. first one came atfer ½ an hour
char b) 400 luck 15 mins got a tarty. then nothing till i logged out.:wall:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not sure about time frame, but mine are coming about on par with each 60k stack of gold I build up (in the Yomotsu mines), about 3 or 4 a weeknight depoending on external distractions... this is with ~400 Luck.

W

Whinemaker

It gives you more points, but it's still up to the stupid RNG to decide whether you get a drop or not.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It gives you more points, but it's still up to the stupid RNG to decide whether you get a drop or not.
This should be correct. Devs stated back in TOT1 that luck helps. I think it gives you more points. I remember I did best in TOT1 with my high luck tamer too.

However, the check that determines whether an arty drops is only rolled when you kill something.

Meaning if you get enough points to get a 10% chance of a drop, killing 10 small rodents will statistically get you an arty. And would be faster than killing 10 balrons.

Hence the method of farming high fame mobs for a bit then kill lots of little critters.

Btw, wife and I tested other areas besides the champ spawn. My 900 luck tamer scored 4 arties in an hour ie 1 every 15 mins. Her 300 luck tamer scored half as much.

So I believe luck factors into TOT3 the same way. Same applies to anti virtue dungeons and doom.

W

Whinemaker

And to add more to it... your points gets capped somewhere before they get to 100%, meaning higher luck only gets you to a certain drop percentage quicker, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee you a higher drop rate over time, i.e. if the RNG refuses to reward you a drop you're still screwed.

V

Vincia Eaglehorn

i normally got an arty between 20-40 rune beetles with no luck (and killing all mages and animals between on sight)

with 1300 luck i barely need 30 rune bettles ... mostly i get a drop between 16 and 25 beetles now

so i say YES

as stated above, ist should give more points ... so more points = increases chance for drop = faster drop, even if RNG refuses drop one or 2 times becasue of bad luck.... over a long period of time hunting you have average faster drops ... thats a simple statisitc

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wife and I seem to do worse after partying.

My wild guesses (note: this is guess work from the limited observations that I have, do not take this as truth and if you have information that points to the contarary, please share, I am an extremely curious individual...):

AFAID, there's no system implemented for combining luck from different people. The Doom system uses the luck attribute from the person that did most damage. Perhaps that's the same here.

Or alternatively, since we know each individual has their own tally of points, they may have coded it in such a way that each person's own luck attribute only affects his own tally.

However, note that in a party, fame is shared equally (and remainders are probably discarded) between all party members. Since your TOT points tally is based off fame, this means:

1) you are getting less points
2) if the bonus points from luck is not a flat bonus, but instead scaled based on the fame you got from sharing a kill, this means you get even less points

That would explain why we don't do as well in a party.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Wife and I seem to do worse after partying.

My wild guesses (note: this is guess work from the limited observations that I have, do not take this as truth and if you have information that points to the contarary, please share, I am an extremely curious individual...):

AFAID, there's no system implemented for combining luck from different people. The Doom system uses the luck attribute from the person that did most damage. Perhaps that's the same here.

Or alternatively, since we know each individual has their own tally of points, they may have coded it in such a way that each person's own luck attribute only affects his own tally.

However, note that in a party, fame is shared equally (and remainders are probably discarded) between all party members. Since your TOT points tally is based off fame, this means:

1) you are getting less points
2) if the bonus points from luck is not a flat bonus, but instead scaled based on the fame you got from sharing a kill, this means you get even less points

That would explain why we don't do as well in a party.
This is not completely correct, the ToT points are based off the fame of the monster, not how much fame you receive from the monster. And fame can be distributed also if more than one person hits a monster, either way you should receive the same amount of points no matter if you are teamed or not, I have not been able to test this with any ToT event, but since the other point systems are exactly the same as ToT I can say this is factual for Doom and legacy dungeons. Also you can consider it if you were to be partied while doing something and drop the party but only 2 out of 5 people did any damage, when you drop the 3 who did no damage would receive no rewards for anything that was being done during that time. Unless you know of an announcement that I am not aware of (this is likely) where they state you get pointed based on fame received then I would continue to go off how the game seems to be coded (I don't work there so everything is speculation =\) Of course it is completely possible that each monsters holds x amount of points and based on how much damage you do you will get scaled points, in this case teams would receive equal points no matter what while teamed? (I think, but then its questionable since if you were fighting a boss type monster and only 2 people did damage up to the monster having 5 hps and then the team dropped only those two get looting rights even if one of the other 3 gets that last hit, so I am not sure)

Edit: I realize I might not be making much sense, I did not sleep much or well, so I am sorry if it is not clear =\

W

Whinemaker

Party: The luck of the top attacker will be used.

BTW if you're attacking the same monster with multiple chars (partied or not), the top attacker will still get 100% of the points, but from 2nd-16th you get less and less. That could be the reason why you seem to have done worse because you're not getting 100% of the points all the time any more (I assume you're fighting the same thing together when partied?).

If you are skeptical try this... party up, bring your usual luck, leave one of the chars at home, and go kill something solo (while partied) and compare your drop rate after a couple of hours.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Party: The luck of the top attacker will be used.

BTW if you're attacking the same monster with multiple chars (partied or not), the top attacker will still get 100% of the points, but from 2nd-16th you get less and less. That could be the reason why you seem to have done worse because you're not getting 100% of the points all the time any more (I assume you're fighting the same thing together when partied?).

If you are skeptical try this... party up, bring your usual luck, leave one of the chars at home, and go kill something solo (while partied) and compare your drop rate after a couple of hours.
Does that mean we should actually do better when partied?

Say a balron with 10000 points:

1. Top damager gets 10000 which is divided among the both of us,

2. 2nd person gets an extra bonus 5000 points that is split among the 2 of us,

So we each net 7500 points from 1 balron that would only give 10000 points if only 1 of us attacked it?

Note, my findings are based on how we play:
We hunt in the same area, but would attack separate mobs as much as possible.

C

Cloak&Dagger

No, in theory you should do better to be attacking the same monster, if partied or not does not matter the points are distributed based on damage, so if you are both attacking different mobs then you should have less chances at points, attacking the same mob you have, lets say 1.5 the amount of points (you gain all the points she gains half, or other way around depending who does more damage) being partied should have no affect on the points that you gain tho.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1290503 said:
attacking the same mob you have, lets say 1.5 the amount of points
Yes, sorry, that's what I mean, if we party and both attack the same mob, we should get 1.5 times the points! Woot!

*Runs to test*

C

Cloak&Dagger

Yes, sorry, that's what I mean, if we party and both attack the same mob, we should get 1.5 times the points! Woot!

*Runs to test*
Then yes it should work, of course everyone has an opinion on what actually works but as far as the devs have said about how the two systems work, this should work

W

Whinemaker

Does that mean we should actually do better when partied?

Say a balron with 10000 points:

1. Top damager gets 10000 which is divided among the both of us,

2. 2nd person gets an extra bonus 5000 points that is split among the 2 of us,

So we each net 7500 points from 1 balron that would only give 10000 points if only 1 of us attacked it?
From how I understand the system...

Say a balron with 10000 points: :p

1. Top attacker gets 10000, not divided among anyone. He gets 10000, that's it.

2. 2nd on the list gets, say, 9000, and that's it for him/her.

3. 3rd person gets, say, 8000, etc.

You don't get a net 7500 points, but the top attacker always get all that's worth for that certain monster, and the 2nd-16th attacker all get a certain percentage of what the top attacker gets.

When deciding the quality of the loot, the luck of the top attacker in the party is used. But when the points are distributed, individual luck is calculated. I hope this clears things up a bit (and yes when I said "Party: The luck of the top attacker will be used." I was wrong. That's for loot only).

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what about in a party? does the luck total combine?
Here is FoF about 10th Anniversary artifact, but actually the same GRPS is used in Doom, 10th Anniversary and ToT, so this statement is also valid to ToT system(FoF: October 5, 2007:
"Does being in party affect the 10th Anniversary Event artifact drop rate?"
Actually being in a party does not affect the drops or the points given out out all.
You must deliver damages to monsters by yourself to get points for ToT arties, and your luck affects only your points.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is FoF about 10th Anniversary artifact, but actually the same GRPS is used in Doom, 10th Anniversary and ToT, so this statement is also valid to ToT system(FoF: October 5, 2007:

You must deliver damages to monsters by yourself to get points for ToT arties, and your luck affects only your points.
Thanks for finding that :D

M

Malimus

I myself in the past 3 days have found this. Higher luck/Honor/fame = Way less chance of drops for me. Like lucky to get one drop in a 2 hour stretch.

On my Archer I dropped my luck to 169, honored myself a few times to lower my honor, then used the sacrifice virtue on a demon to drop my fame/rep and bam i am getting an arty every 30-35 min off just orcs.

Honestly i think the luck/honor systems are not working well or properly when it comes to drops. Also i believe things could differ from character to character. (i.e) for some reason some chars tend to be more lucky than others as a constant. And i don't mean the luck stat. I mean the RNG favors that toon more for some reason.

Ive tested this with my tamer(1800 luck), my mage(700 luck), and my archer(169 luck) over many hours. So far the archer wins. And they all killed the same things at the same basic rates. Tried everything from Barlon's & succubi to Orcs & skeletons (Solo)

Through this testing i have had a total of 127 drops. 90% of those drops were received by my archer. But not a single mempo.

Also In those 3 days i have been reported 3 times because stupid people think everyone that stands still in one spot is a afk farmer. And half the time they don't even say Hello first they just go ahead and report. So the GM's are doing their job because i have had a few chats with them so far. lol

In closing im not sure this will help anyone but it seems to work for me.

*Edit*
On the other hand... i have talked to tamers with high luck that seem to be getting a drop every 15-20 mins.. Killing the same things i have been killing. Not sure if they are being honest but who really knows. I can believe it.

K

Katlene

I cant find the OP that draconi made, but i did copy it and post it into my shard forum, here's an exert..

A “luck roll” is defined as a roll against a chance of 1:100.

Before this roll is done, your luck is modified to fit that scale, so your luck directly converts to a percentage of chance that your luck will modify the loot.
The formula is: chance = round(luck ^ (5/9)). Results are rounded to the nearest whole number.
Luck Chance
0 0%
100 13%
200 19%
300 24%
400 28%
500 32%
600 35%
700 38%
800 41%
900 44%
1000 46%
1100 49%
1200 51%
1300 54%
1400 56%
1500 58%

This chance is evaluated as the RNG versus your luck. So if it rolls 30, and you have a luck result of 56, you win. The RNG can roll from 0 to 99, then tests whether its roll is less than your result.

I can officially verify that it’s impossible to “roll over” with too much luck, and not get anything.

athos_uo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cant find the OP that draconi made, but i did copy it and post it into my shard forum, here's an exert..

A “luck roll” is defined as a roll against a chance of 1:100.

Before this roll is done, your luck is modified to fit that scale, so your luck directly converts to a percentage of chance that your luck will modify the loot.
The formula is: chance = round(luck ^ (5/9)). Results are rounded to the nearest whole number.
Luck Chance
0 0%
100 13%
200 19%
300 24%
400 28%
500 32%
600 35%
700 38%
800 41%
900 44%
1000 46%
1100 49%
1200 51%
1300 54%
1400 56%
1500 58%

This chance is evaluated as the RNG versus your luck. So if it rolls 30, and you have a luck result of 56, you win. The RNG can roll from 0 to 99, then tests whether its roll is less than your result.

I can officially verify that it’s impossible to “roll over” with too much luck, and not get anything.
This statement describes how luck affects in the normal looting. That is, luck increases "quantity and quality" of looted items. Luck doesn't affect the chance of getting items.

On the contrary, in the case of GPRS(=Guaranteed Reward Points System), luck increases points you receive when you defeat monsters, which leads to increasing the chance of your getting items.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just what it says. :) Will hitting my luck statue improve my chances of getting ToTs? Not any specific one-- just make getting them faster.
I changed out peices of my suit that would not effect the rate that I would kill stuff much..

I did the statue, Blue jewlery set, swords of prop, AoF, and 95 lucky Robe.

I was killing close to the same rate, but noticed 1-3 more minors per Champ spawn in ToK

up to 86 minors, but no Mempo

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Second round of tests, my 1700+ luck tamer got twice as many arties compared to my wife's 300 luck tamer. Even when I was killing Daemons and she killing was killing Succubi. (Edit: forgot to add that we swapped spawns and I still did twice as well as her when she kill demons and I killed succubi. She kills faster than me too, she has descord. I have provoke.)

However, she later brought a 2nd tamer she had not used in this event before, 200+ luck, and she got a mempo on her 4th drop (within 1 hour)...

Go figure...

Still need larger numbers to get more accurate statistical data...

O

Old Man of UO

0 luck, getting an artifact every 10 minutes or so.
It all depends on creature fame and how fast you get the kills. Yesterday I was getting 12 and hour... that is about 1 every 5 minutes, but MAN is that busy. OH, and some 150K+ gold, too.