• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does anyone miss the old 3d Animations

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember them? I remember there was dance, tribal dance, bow, and cheer. I thought these were fun. I wish they could put them back in somehow. They were part of the old 3d client (I think someone called it 3rd Dawn client). Was I the only person who liked these silly animations? Wouldn't it be fun to have funky animations. And before you start with the waste of time blah, blah, blah. WoW has animations and they have 50 times more players than we do.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I can't miss them since I never used the 3D client... but having seen some posted (forget when), I think they were pretty neat. :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember them? I remember there was dance, tribal dance, bow, and cheer. I thought these were fun. I wish they could put them back in somehow. They were part of the old 3d client (I think someone called it 3rd Dawn client). Was I the only person who liked these silly animations? Wouldn't it be fun to have funky animations. And before you start with the waste of time blah, blah, blah. WoW has animations and they have 50 times more players than we do.
Well... I thought they were fun... but the art for that client was beyond atrocious. The fact that there are still some 3d misfit art assets running around (balrons) makes me grind my teeth in revulsion.

I do recall wishing we had more variety in the regular client at the time, though.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well... I thought they were fun... but the art for that client was beyond atrocious. The fact that there are still some 3d misfit art assets running around (balrons) makes me grind my teeth in revulsion.

I do recall wishing we had more variety in the regular client at the time, though.
The original Balrons looked marvelously malevolent, not malnourished. Then again, perhaps they haven't been feasting on as many people in the last dozen or so years.

It used to be possible to revert back to the original Balron artwork (like getting back the original "gym rat" red daemon), but it no longer works, I think because the artwork's been removed.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

you have to admit tho, it is the only client we ever had with actual 3d (only in the paperdoll of course, but still)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you have to admit tho, it is the only client we ever had with actual 3d (only in the paperdoll of course, but still)
Well that can't be argued, though I for one never saw the appeal of 3d for 3d's sake, beyond art updatablity. If the art looks like garbage, who cares how easy it is to update?

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

LOL I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that think the Balrons are fugly. I keep thinking they should look more like the Balrog in Lord of the Rings. Too bad Weta couldn't help with our game art...we'd have some very cool art! I played that 3d client yeah the art was ugly. We have some EC art I don't like either ....blue beetles! What did they do to my buggie, poor buggie!

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't you quit like 2 weeks ago....again...for the 300th time?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I loved the old 3d... I have several pictures from back in the day when I ran about in that client. I loved how you could rotate you characters in the paperdoll...
I loved the moves...... dancing, waving, all that.... most modern games have all that. All we have is bow and salute which only work occasionally.

I wish we had emotes that made noise. Coughing, whistling, Giggling etc... It works in the EC.... with Pinco's but it'd be fun if we had that for everything.... and when I'm in cat form I wish I could meow.... and bark when I'm in dog form.... etc.

But maybe that's just me.

As for the Balron.... I wish he looked better too.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Didn't you quit like 2 weeks ago....again...for the 300th time?
*glances up from his seat by the fire and mutters a few words under his breath*

"Dispiro Malas"

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that think the Balrons are fugly. I keep thinking they should look more like the Balrog in Lord of the Rings. Too bad Weta couldn't help with our game art...we'd have some very cool art! I played that 3d client yeah the art was ugly. We have some EC art I don't like either ....blue beetles! What did they do to my buggie, poor buggie!
I just wish they would rerun to the black recolored demons with the giant swords they used to be.

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I miss the 3d firesteed... It was awesome...
Ah yes. I remember being so envious of the Brit Bank bank sitters all lined up with their fancy firesteeds. I wanted one so bad it looked amazing in the 3D. So spent months finally gathering up my money and taming skill to control one :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I miss the 3d firesteed... It was awesome...
So do I. And I agree with my friend the Dread Mares ought to have green flaming eyes and green flames running up from their hooves and the fire steeds should have flames running up their hooves like they used to. I miss that.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stretch container window. And yes the Krull trailing fire steed. Mastering the jig so it was a flowing motion.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I agree on the firesteed, it looks terrible in the EC, its just an orange horse, not even the "chunkier" model horse it was in 3d(the one the nightmare still is).
I miss the old dragon models, most of all I miss the characters/animations, the characters in EC are terrible, the female and male look almost exactly the same, in many other ways the EC looks better than third dawn but I wish they had kept the old character models and spellcasting anims etc

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we still have the 3d client...its even worse now...hes called the enhanced client....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree on the firesteed, it looks terrible in the EC, its just an orange horse, not even the "chunkier" model horse it was in 3d(the one the nightmare still is).
I miss the old dragon models, most of all I miss the characters/animations, the characters in EC are terrible, the female and male look almost exactly the same, in many other ways the EC looks better than third dawn but I wish they had kept the old character models and spellcasting anims etc
Long, long ago we were promised an update to the male paperdoll... They did update the female paperdoll in the EC but now she looks rather like a dike... or a very manly female or a woman bodybuilder trying to look all dressy or like some guy trying to pass as a woman... can't really tell but she's not really very feminine. Males we were promised an update to ages ago but never got one.... instead we are stuck with the same scrawny looking old saggy male body who looks like he's almost trying to squat to take a dump. I'm not exactly sure what he's doing but it don't look very comfortable. Kinda like he's got hemorrhoids or something.

Anyway just another promise that never came to pass. Like oh so many others..... kinda like adding Blackthorns dungeon to the corrupted portal crystals. I think things like that gets lost and forgotten.... perhaps on purpose perhaps because of downsizing and changes... who knows.

I don't miss the pack resizing so much with the EC I have the nice neat squares but.... still they were pretty nice. Mostly I miss being able to rotate my character in the paperdoll that was awesome.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The original Balrons looked marvelously malevolent, not malnourished. Then again, perhaps they haven't been feasting on as many people in the last dozen or so years.

It used to be possible to revert back to the original Balron artwork (like getting back the original "gym rat" red daemon), but it no longer works, I think because the artwork's been removed.
Art work wasn't removed. Balrons were originally just rehued grey demons. A lot of the original mobs were rehues before they got their own art. I personally wish they'd remove the unicorn art and bring back the rehued pure white horses they used to be...much prettier.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Art work wasn't removed. Balrons were originally just rehued grey demons. A lot of the original mobs were rehues before they got their own art. I personally wish they'd remove the unicorn art and bring back the rehued pure white horses they used to be...much prettier.
The basic image has always been there, but by "artwork" I'm referring to the separate, distinctly colored images. Just like having the original "gym rat" daemons displayed, it used to be possible to have the old Balrons. Maybe someone with Inside UO (if it still works) can verify, but as far as I can tell, the artwork was removed.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of the lost art I miss ... some I don't..

What I really regret is the artwork of Ultima X that we all got to see in trailers and such.. and then was killed.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I miss the Third Dawn's emotes and dances (as short and silly as they were). It was a real shame to find that they were missing from KR.

Actually, all the mobiles in the Third Dawn client were polygon based. The client only used sprites for item and some terrain art. This is part of the reason mobiles looked like crap; their poly counts were ridiculously low even by 2001's standards.

we still have the 3d client...its even worse now...hes called the enhanced client....
While the EC engine is fully capable of amazing 3D, it really only uses visible polygons to display the ground, mountains and water. Everything else is a sprite pasted on an invisible base polygon. So, it really isn't 3D like Third Dawn was.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember them? I remember there was dance, tribal dance, bow, and cheer.
Did someone say dance?!?

I'm all for adding dancing to the game! ;)

Animations like you described are very fun. I enjoy them. I want to be able to sit and lay down too. Because after I dance all night I need to rest :p
I remember you could fall down in the 3rd dawn client. That was always funny.

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to add new animations to game unless the game goes truly 3D again. Which it won't.
So heres hoping Ultima Online 2 gets it right. (If they ever attempt to make it again and it doesn't get canceled!)
With over 50 animations and emotes players can access. Including being able to actually lay down on beds and such!
*waits*

By no means are animations a waste of time!
Could you imagine if everyone in real life just stood up straight stiff as a board all day? Boring!
Expressing yourself and goofing off and being silly is what makes life fun!
WE WANT ANIMATIONS!!!
Even just being able to raise our hand while sitting down would make in game auction houses funner. To see all the little hands go up. Ha!
I enjoy the small things like that :)

I like MalagAste's idea too about adding coughing, whistling, giggling, etc as a usable anytime on command function. I know we have some of those sounds in the game already but they should add more male and female voices in the game and let us pick our voice style so when we cough or sneeze they all sound slightly different.
That would also be fun to just randomly sneeze during an EM meet up or something. They could set a 5 minute timer on it so you can't just sneeze sneeze sneeze. Actually that would be kinda funny so maybe allow everyone 3 sounds every 10 minutes.
I also like his idea for being able to use the voices of the animals or monsters you polymorph/shape shift/costume/whatever into. There should be a drop down window to use the sound effects of your current shape. So you can morph into a gargoyle and start muttering. Or turn into an orc and start jabbering. That would be so cool.
I remember when skeletons could "dance" when you chugged healing potions in polymorph form. Does that still work?!

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While the EC engine is fully capable of amazing 3D, it really only uses visible polygons to display the ground, mountains and water. Everything else is a sprite pasted on an invisible base polygon. So, it really isn't 3D like Third Dawn was.
Yep... It's a shame how the EC doesn't have the graphics it's capable of and should have.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 3'rd dawn client ... brings back memorys ...
Actually I dont like the new artwork for the ki-rins too much. I named my first ki-rin 'Chopper' course riding one, was looking/feeling likewise.

Not many did use that client. Not even when you only could enter Illshenar when you were using that client. Nearly unbelieveable, HOW long is that ago. I never was able to finish a champion spawn back than , becourse I wasnt able to find enough ppl using that client.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did someone say dance?!?

I'm all for adding dancing to the game! ;)

Animations like you described are very fun. I enjoy them. I want to be able to sit and lay down too. Because after I dance all night I need to rest :p
I remember you could fall down in the 3rd dawn client. That was always funny.

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to add new animations to game unless the game goes truly 3D again. Which it won't.
So heres hoping Ultima Online 2 gets it right. (If they ever attempt to make it again and it doesn't get canceled!)
With over 50 animations and emotes players can access. Including being able to actually lay down on beds and such!
*waits*

By no means are animations a waste of time!
Could you imagine if everyone in real life just stood up straight stiff as a board all day? Boring!
Expressing yourself and goofing off and being silly is what makes life fun!
WE WANT ANIMATIONS!!!
Even just being able to raise our hand while sitting down would make in game auction houses funner. To see all the little hands go up. Ha!
I enjoy the small things like that :)

I like MalagAste's idea too about adding coughing, whistling, giggling, etc as a usable anytime on command function. I know we have some of those sounds in the game already but they should add more male and female voices in the game and let us pick our voice style so when we cough or sneeze they all sound slightly different.
That would also be fun to just randomly sneeze during an EM meet up or something. They could set a 5 minute timer on it so you can't just sneeze sneeze sneeze. Actually that would be kinda funny so maybe allow everyone 3 sounds every 10 minutes.
I also like his idea for being able to use the voices of the animals or monsters you polymorph/shape shift/costume/whatever into. There should be a drop down window to use the sound effects of your current shape. So you can morph into a gargoyle and start muttering. Or turn into an orc and start jabbering. That would be so cool.
I remember when skeletons could "dance" when you chugged healing potions in polymorph form. Does that still work?!
I was just thinking, after reading your post, how funny it'd be if everyone coughed after someone does *trick* on dreadmare!

Last edited: