• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does anyone know why the Japanese shards get things we don't?

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going to say this in a really nice way. I mean why not always try to say things as nicely as possible?

Why do Japanese shards get treated so much better than the people that have patronized UO for the past 11 years? I think this is a legit question. I'm not really hostile about it. I've been in business's most of my life. Why does EA think alienating their main body of customers is a good idea?

T

TheGrayGhost

I'm going to say this in a really nice way. I mean why not always try to say things as nicely as possible?

Why do Japanese shards get treated so much better than the people that have patronized UO for the past 11 years? I think this is a legit question. I'm not really hostile about it. I've been in business's most of my life. Why does EA think alienating their main body of customers is a good idea?
What exactly are they getting that we aren't?

R

RavenWinterHawk

Different countries, different models.

Nothing too deep about it.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if I'm remembering correctly, yes, Athos posted at the start of that contest that it was open to all

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best answer is their players generally aren't ungrateful little shi*s who think they either deserve to have everything as some sort of right or complain endlessly to the point of bringing lawsuits against companies for not getting paid for volunteer work.

I'm sure if we were easier to deal with, we'd get more of this stuff as well.. in fact I know we would, since when we were we did... and then the stuff I alluded to happened.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think what hes talking about is stuff like the tokuno dye tokens that the asian shards can purchase and we cannot (in english that is)
I dont really understand why they havent made them available on the US site for purchase, itd bring them profits.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best answer is their players generally aren't ungrateful little shi*s who think they either deserve to have everything as some sort of right or complain endlessly to the point of bringing lawsuits against companies for not getting paid for volunteer work.

I'm sure if we were easier to deal with, we'd get more of this stuff as well.. in fact I know we would, since when we were we did... and then the stuff I alluded to happened.
This, unfortunately...

1) Neon dyes
When neon dyes were introduced in ToT1, they gave a collective "Weee!!"

Outside Japan, some went "Weee!!".
Some went "Arghh!! Tokuno color attack!".
Others went "My eye hurts! I'm threatening to sue!"

Also, please note that the dyes were not sold to the Japanese shards. They were sold to anyone that has a credit card/mailing address in Japan.

2) Contest
Illustration contest as mentioned above, was open to all.

Next time EA North America feel a need to outsource depts like online games marketing, maybe they should consider poaching them from EA Japan first...

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO Japan has their own team that comes up with events and promotions for their shards. There are probably things that we get on the US shards that they don't get. The problem is that people start xferring these items from the Asian shards and sell them for huge amounts and then everyone gets upset because they want the items. Look at spring decor items from a couple years ago, AOS colored items from the slimes, spring or was it winter festival items from this year (wooden cow, robes, etc.), and the 11th anniversary items.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA Japan or EA Asia, not sure the company name exactly is not the same EA that operates the North American/European shards. They fall under the same umbrella but as far as policies and laws governing their work, there are many differences.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This, unfortunately...
So you're saying that the divide lies on the nationalities and ethnicities of the players?

Really?

I'm not sure who should be insulted... the westerners who were just accused of being persnickety and litigious, or the easterners who were just accused of being undiscerning. Actually, I'm pretty sure we should all be insulted to be stereotyped so gracelessly. Shame on you.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot to mention how easily offended for no good reason we are.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember, too, that the Japanese way of marketing UO (they've gotten more storeshelf releases than we have) ALSO led to the premature KR release debacle, because EA Japan made an unbreakable commitment to having a KR box set on the shelves in Japan by June 30, 2007 - resulting in that client having to hurredly go into Beta, then be released 6+ months earlier than it should have been.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you're saying that the divide lies on the nationalities and ethnicities of the players?

Really?

I'm not sure who should be insulted... the westerners who were just accused of being persnickety and litigious, or the easterners who were just accused of being undiscerning. Actually, I'm pretty sure we should all be insulted to be stereotyped so gracelessly. Shame on you.

Erm...are you serious or kidding? You read my post as a stereo-typing of nationalities and ethnicities? Really?

For those who do, please re-read with this thought in mind - avoid stereo typing folks playing the Japanese shards or staying in Japan or is supported by EA Japan as people of Eastern nationality/descent.

Vice versa for the players/shards outside Japan and EA North America. Not all are of Western nationality/descent.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in japan, they honor and respect their customers, because of this, there is a team of seers to assist players along with gms so that players can be helped with anything at any time

C

Cloak&Dagger

in japan, they honor and respect their customers, because of this, there is a team of seers to assist players along with gms so that players can be helped with anything at any time
What? You know we had the same thing in North America, know what happen? Look it up.

G

Goodoljoe

Not to derail thread but you people can get too sentimental at times.Theres a LOT more japanese players in UO than there are here,from a marketing perspective its all it matters.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Not to derail thread but you people can get too sentimental at times.Theres a LOT more japanese players in UO than there are here,from a marketing perspective its all it matters.
Curiously....Where do you get this information from? Conjecture is no basis for an argument.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1317346 said:
What? You know we had the same thing in North America, know what happen? Look it up.
i do know we had the same thing in north america but the Japanese weren't forced to fire everyone, and these people would be allowed to volunteer for free in north america if ea would let them but for some reason they won't

T

Tinsil

From personal experience (I have played on Japanese shards), their player base is much more friendly and helping.

They have some cool things that we don't. On the other hand, we've had some cool events that they didn't get too.

It's pretty even. They aren't getting that much more than we do.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i do know we had the same thing in north america but the Japanese weren't forced to fire everyone, and these people would be allowed to volunteer for free in north america if ea would let them but for some reason they won't
EA was mandating that the volunteers work X-Amount of hours, which you cannot do for volunteers in the U.S.

If EA were to reinstate volunteer 'seers', and not mandate how many hours they work, then they could do it here.

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I really can't believe someone opened this can of worms.
Here it goes:
Volunteer indicates free will. When family emergencies, illness etc keep you from performing tasks, and then you are penalized or 'fired', that isn't a volunteer, that's a job.
When paid employees hand down their own tasks to volunteers, who then do the work, that is a job.
Persons who have only heard things from 1 side should not make claims of knowledge of a subject.
Right or wrong to litigate I won't argue the point; but the program participants you alluded to were treated unfairly,abused, and exploited all so that a company could profit from a person(s) free time activity. Kinda like if kodak slapped sandwich boards on people at the beach because they liked to take photos, then persecute the beach-goers who took off there signs to go for a swim.
There's your couch, and a cookie. Sit down big people talking.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because the Japanese shards have more experienced seers. They were blessed to not have those greedy little children sue them over volunteer work. When the US shards lost our beloved seers, companions, etc, the Japanese shards kept theirs. And they still have their seers!

But honestly why should we care? I think it's great that they get different stuff. Different shards should have different stuff.

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Notice all the posts griping on in game customer service? It was always lazy, but they had go-fers to do the work for them. Correlations? hmm.

Sounds like someone applied but was never accepted. Or you didn;t get some kool item you longed for.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hakeem has the right of this. Our volunteers were treated like anything but, and then shat upon. They had every right to sue, and even I feel this country of mine is over-litigious.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree that they may have been treated unfairly, but I disagree that they had the right to sue. They knew they were working for free and the ones I knew enjoyed it greatly despite that.

G

Gladius

From personal experience (I have played on Japanese shards), their player base is much more friendly and helping.

They have some cool things that we don't. On the other hand, we've had some cool events that they didn't get too.

It's pretty even. They aren't getting that much more than we do.
May I add the GM's there are short of FANTASTIC real helpers not thge types that puts you on queue then redirects you to a useless link.

I asked for help at YAMATO on my transfer token and the GM personally went to where I was and provided the needed assistance.

Hope this sinks to those concerned in order to improve the game.

-G-