• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does anyone else kind of miss the AOL before Legends?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Edit: Not like the 'restricted to AOL customers' part, just the naming

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, I dont think it's just you. They shoulda left the name alone, it was actually a part of the shard history, that has now been tossed aside like so much other history has

Oscar the Grouch

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I remember logging into my GF's AOL account just to see the shard back when it was restricted to AOL IPs.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I didn't even play UO at around that time, so no, I can't say I miss it.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember logging into my GF's AOL account just to see the shard back when it was restricted to AOL IPs.
That's funny. There was a way, I don't remember how a decade and more later, that you could enable your account to access it without being an AOL customer, intended for players who were away from home or what have you, so they could still get on their home server. Naturally I got my account access via it, got a nice little house back when you could have one per server... and then the access dropped, along with my house and everything in it. Oh well.

Oscar the Grouch

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
That's funny. There was a way, I don't remember how a decade and more later, that you could enable your account to access it without being an AOL customer, intended for players who were away from home or what have you, so they could still get on their home server. Naturally I got my account access via it, got a nice little house back when you could have one per server... and then the access dropped, along with my house and everything in it. Oh well.
Oh wow! So when you lost access to the server your house decayed?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh wow! So when you lost access to the server your house decayed?
Not as a function of losing access to the server, directly. Just not being able to refresh it. I could be remembering the timeline wrong, but I definitely remember logging in one of my characters I hadn't touched since then and him still being where the house was

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, long ago if you didnt open the door the house would drop just like an idoc, iirc

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, long ago if you didnt open the door the house would drop just like an idoc, iirc
Yeah, houses had to be refreshed until they put them in stasis post-9/11 due to so many people going off to war, I just can't remember exactly when I was playing on Legends is the problem.

Oscar the Grouch

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I think when they put in one house per shard rules (and you just had one house on that shard) they started the auto-refresh thing. Then at some point they allowed grandfathered houses to be auto refreshed too, maybe that is the 9/11 thing.