• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do you like 2D or Enhanced Client?

Do you like 2D or Enhanced Client?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pfff... Again this poll.
2D, enchance must die.

P

PowerFullPete

Why make these posts...these are getting old, use which client suits you better.I don't care who uses what..

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2D Fanboy FTW.

2d is the only reason why Ultima Online is still alive. :rant2:

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why make a stupid 3rd option that makes no sense? People will vote for that and you won't have an accurate poll.

*votes the third*

B

Bruin

How about an option for I've never used anything but the 2d client? Not fair to say I like the 2d client over the enchanced client - however I'm not giving the EC client a shot (fair or unfair).

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What the hell? You associated "Yes" with 2D and "No" with the EC?

Yeah, this poll doesn't suffer from any bias at all.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The enhanced client interface enhancements are nice. However I prefer many of the 2D monster graphics (especially the White Wyrm). Plus there are a lot of performance related issues with EC.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What the hell? You associated "Yes" with 2D and "No" with the EC?

Yeah, this poll doesn't suffer from any bias at all.
You noticed that, huh?

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC FTW! :)

After getting used to the graphics (which I now find much better than CC) i can never go back to CC.

All the features of the EC in exchange of what?? Something thats old and "thats how its used to be"?? No thanks

Give me:

- Zoomable playarea (Overview entire castle spot)
- Resizeable playarea (No more tiny gamearea on 24" monitor)
- Grid and list view packs (No thanks to messy clutter and hidden stuff)
- Hotbars with easy hotkey and target assignment
- Build in map
- New and improved gumps for spells and runebooks
- Better looking creatures (Once you get used to it the CC looks pretty funny)
- Modable client
- No use third part programs
- Better chat window

Now tell me why new players and I mean really new players comming straight from wow should learn to play a client that was made before some of them was born?? abd miss out on all the cool features of the EC?? :)

Paps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think i have said this before but i beleive they should 1.rewrite the code 2.make the new client look exactly like 2-d 3.have all the `features` that ec has
if they do this they will get the 2-d people to accept a new client
if they dont do this,they will not get the 2-d people to accept a new client

its just that simple

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think i have said this before but i beleive they should 1.rewrite the code 2.make the new client look exactly like 2-d 3.have all the `features` that ec has
if they do this they will get the 2-d people to accept a new client
if they dont do this,they will not get the 2-d people to accept a new client

its just that simple
Ouch... but then you would ruin our EC grapichs.... when I go to CC I think it looks all wrong :) But I guess I can live with the CC graphics if I just have the features of the EC :)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "Enhanced" Client is ironically named, given that it's a piece of crap.

Drakhan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like my old 2D client but EC does not look too bad. Main reason im not using EC is that on my PC it loads larger player houses quite slow. I get a complete "halt" when getting close to one.

My PC is not that bad, been running WoW flawless on it.

C

canary

I would LIKE to like the EC, but not in its current state... so I voted 2D/ Legacy.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Meh... I know this thread is a Spiel/Rant candidate. But it seems harmless so far. I prefer the enhanced client.

T

Tukaram

Since we only have two choices of clients I would have to say Enhanced. The macros and interface are very flexible (but absolutely NOT intuitive!).

LBR era 3D with UOAssist would be my choice.

G

georgemarvin2001

I like the EC's in-game map, hotbars, zoomable play area, compartmentalized monster loot, modable interface, chat window, the fact that you can set options on the map to show both your corpse and the nearest healer, and several other features.

That being said, I prefer the CC. Why?
1. Graphics. Sure, they look better. But they aren't playable. The Flamestrike spell ends with a blindingly bright white flash on the screen. The EVs have blinking bright white eyes. Several other spells have effects that look great. ONCE. But if I try playing for an hour or so, they make my eyes hurt and give me a headache. When you ask people in the in-game chat whether they've played the EC, the most common comment is something like "yeah. I couldn't play it, though. It hurts my eyes".

2. Playability. Everything from the auto-run turning on at the worst possible time, to your ghost being offset a tile or two, and appearing to have to run over the river in Ter Mur to get to town, then running through the sides of buildings instead of the street, to the fact that some of the targeting systems just don't work like they should. And the hotbars don't lock, so the stuff on them gets moved or destroyed. And items I'm dragging turn invisible and get hung on my cursor in the Trog cave, so that I can't leave until I log out and back in. And spells single-click instead of double-click; it's a lot easier to accidentally single-click than double-click, and it's confusing when I'm switching clients.

And, when I'm trying to use the EC, I have to change clients a lot. If I'm using the EC and try trading an item to a player using CC, the items in the trade window all just stack in the corner of the CC trade window, and that player can't see what my side of the trade is. I have to log out of EC just to trade items with other players. And I usually log out of EC to stock my vendors; I have had a couple of issues with the "legacy containers" option. And I have to log into the CC to tell which treasure map I have. And I have to log into the CC to use my mage, since the EC spells give me headaches. And I have to log into the CC to use UOA macros to train skills. And I have to log into the CC when I'm putting items in my house, because they might not look right if I place them using the EC. And that's just a few of the many times I have to log out of the EC when I'm trying to use it. On the other hand, I can play on the CC all day and never have to log into the EC.

3. Familiarity. Even players who say that they eventually grew to love the new graphics will admit that they are really hard to get used to.

B

BlackMagus

I have returned to UO after a decade of absence like a month ago.

Not knowing what I was heading into, I just selected the first appealing download link (Download Enhanced Client) and went to install the software.

Now, after playing it a month straight, I seem to be infected with the EC virus.

I tried CC for a day, but *it* hurt my eyes. It hurt my "played-classic-when-it-wasn't-classic-in-the-90s" eyes. It hurt my "returned-to-uo-after-a-decade-because-i-am-hopelessly-nostalgic" eyes. Because, nostalic schmostalgic, CC is just ugly nowadays!

I have to admit that after a month of heavy use, the auto-walking/path-finding thing really still pisses me off sometimes. Besides that, I had no real problems with the software. And the macro facilities rock!

And honestly, I'd rather be perma-auto-walk flagged, only to be able to stop my toon in the game while cast-frozen, than play the graphics of the CC every day.

I mean, even back in '97 the game graphics were old fashioned - I remember that the only two graphics that shone back in the day were the nice rendered intro movie and the animated login chest.

But, hats off to those who do... I like the attitude. :thumbup:

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After playing Aion alongside many other UO fanatics, I have to say neither UO 2d or 3d are up to par. That seemed to be everyone's concern about UO that I meet in Aion. UO gameplay is the beast of all MMO's but the graphics suck gorilla nuts.

If one of the UO clients were as graphically as nice as one of the newer MMO's such as Aion I honestly believe I wouldn't ever get any sleep or any breaks from UO. I would hardwire it into my noggin. Can't forget the new customer fanbase that would be created when people found out there was actually a freakin awesome game that isn't as a cookie-cutter POS forced grouping game like God forbid WoW or Aion and is also modern not a freakin relic of the past...but noooo.

Of course there are too many variables for something this good to happen to UO, like idiots who are still running 486 computers and claim they can barely run UO as it is (yeah, right go figure), go to the Goodwill store and get a new computer, daaaamn how hard can that be and shoot that piece of crap you're running UO on. If you are running a 486 it's a damn antique these days and you're a ****ing moron for refusing to upgrade.

Can't forget EA, they can barely afford to wipe their ass these days according to the stock quotes I have been seeing and the cutbacks. It's lame moves such as EA not taking advantage of games like UO and improving them for a year 2010 customer instead of leaving it as an antique for all these whiny ****s who claim 2d is da bomb or 3d games makes them sick...get some ****ing bifocals grandpa and grandma and that problem might just go away.

I still love UO, do I play it on a 486? **** no. I think I did when it first came out but now, no way. I bought an Intel I7 940 CPU, am ASUS Rampage mobo with ocing built onto the board, software and bios, 2 GTX 260's (NVidia) in SLI and yes you're reading this correctly, 9 gigs of ram, 2 24-inch flat screens, an awesome Logitech gaming keyboard and a f'ing partridge in a pear tree on a limited budget.

I don't even want to hear about people not being able to afford buying a computer that couldn't run something more intensive than UO 2d. That's just BS. I saved and scrimped for a year and bought, assembled and got this thing running for under 1200 dollars and it's overkill...big time overkill. Before some troll decides to take any of this out of context...you can build a machine for even cheaper than this if you go downgrade to some other "modern" configuration instead of staying on a dinosaur of a machine. I could have gotten something to build for less than 500 dollars but decided to not have to upgrade for at least a couple of years.

Yet the argument remains, what's better? Well, trying to make 2d look 3d just doesn't cut it. If you're going to do something, do it right and make it actually 3d and leave the whiny waffles 2d alone, a 3d program just might be beyond their learning curve.

My two cents is, make UO modern and watch it grow. Leave it as it is and keep on seeing more IDOCs and less people per server. Yeah and before anyone can post it...I heard UO was dying for many many years too so stfu already I said it for you. It IS dying slowly as sad as that is because it's so far behind the times. I love the game as much as anyone else I have 4 accts atm but I keep seeing so many empty housing plots and more IDOCs than I can ever remember and less people at the moment than I have seen the populations at since I began beta even. I love my UO but it sure looks like ****.

So yeah...any attempts to troll this will be ignored as will damn near anything else pertaining to this reply. Have a wonderful week!

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want a shiny, "modern" game

Get the **** out of UO and go play that game, quit ****ing with mine.

TheBlackCobra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they'd upgrade Enhanced Client graphics 3d models to the level of the 2d ones, I could come to love it.

B

BlackMagus

Have you guys ever heard of all these new funky technologies that sprung to live in the last 15 years?

My VideoCD player totally rocks your VCR in picture quality. And did you know they now have APS film where you can take 40 *widescreen* pictures with a single film? Never switch films after 24 pictures again... swallow that, 35mm Kodachrome.

:eyes:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you guys ever heard of all these new funky technologies that sprung to live in the last 15 years?

My VideoCD player totally rocks your VCR in picture quality. And did you know they now have APS film where you can take 40 *widescreen* pictures with a single film? Never switch films after 24 pictures again... swallow that, 35mm Kodachrome.

:eyes:
You know what's a really fun hobby? Muzzleloading rifles.

You know what else is a fun hobby? Painting portraits.

You know what ELSE is a fun hobby? Playing video games that suit my interests, such as being a 2D 3/4 perspective MMO.

I bet if you looked, you could find a hobby of your own that doesn't require trying to hurt the hobbies of others.

I hear Russian Roulette is fun!

B

BlackMagus

You know what's a really fun hobby? Muzzleloading rifles.

You know what else is a fun hobby? Painting portraits.

You know what ELSE is a fun hobby? Playing video games that suit my interests, such as being a 2D 3/4 perspective MMO.

I bet if you looked, you could find a hobby of your own that doesn't require trying to hurt the hobbies of others.

I hear Russian Roulette is fun!
Wow, easily offended by humor, eh... :thumbup:

Btw, as you might have noticed if you'd been able to read a bit further up this thread - I do again play this game, I do play it because I like it, I do play it because I am hopelessly nostalgic... and in no way I have state that it should stop being a 2D isometric MMO.

And since this is the only game community on the entire web that over years continuously rejects any graphical improvements whatsoever, you might be prepared to continue getting a mocking comment here and there...

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with your "rejects any graphical improvements" is they haven't tried to make any.

And it's hard to improve on perfection.

P

PowerFullPete

If you want a shiny, "modern" game

Get the **** out of UO and go play that game, quit ****ing with mine.
How is the enhanced client ****ing with your game? I you don't like it don't use it.

B

BlackMagus

The problem with your "rejects any graphical improvements" is they haven't tried to make any.
EA tried twice, with KR and EC. Graphics may be subject to taste, but I sense a general refusal of change...

And it's hard to improve on perfection.
I like the attitude. :thumbup:

And now I'll stop, or I'll get troll stamped for being the only EC fan boy on the whole board. :love:

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is the enhanced client ****ing with your game? I you don't like it don't use it.
many many hours development time is/was wasted on 3D, KR, SA clients. imagine what the UO client would be today. they probably would have had time to fix the journal.

it is a real shame since the majority of the players truly use UO client as opposed to Eclient.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I generally use the classic (2D) client but I try to keep the enhanced client patched. My laptop computer is a couple of years old and just doesn't have the memory to run the enhanced client the way I'd like so that I can still see the Windows Taskbar at the bottom. Even running it full frame (or whatever it's called), it eventually makes the computer run too hot for my liking even though it's on a chillpad.

I don't mind most of the monster graphics in the enhanced client, but am very disappointed with the looks of anything in the dragon family and am extremely disappointed with the look of hiryus.

I also wish that dungeon floors (other than ones that are tiled) looked different in terms of color and texture. There's just something about both that makes it hard to look at the screen after awhile. In places like Destard, the dungeon floor color doesn't contrast enough with the colors of the monsters, so it gets to be a strain on the eyes after a while trying to keep them sorted out. And as far as the dungeon floor texture goes, it just seems like someone overdid it with the various pits and depressions in the ground.

Floor and waterfall tiles and perhaps also some wall tiles in the enhanced client also need some attention to make sure they fit together seamlessly.

It's also disappointing that it wasn't possible to keep the KR version of the housing menu in the enhanced client. I loved being able to co-own characters on multiple houses and being able to change access levels for characters without the characters actually having to be in or near the house at the same time.

The enhanced client also still lacks a few of the UOAssist features. The big gaps for me are the ability to move specified objects into a container and to be able to automatically sell specified objects to an NPC vendor. I often use the sorting feature to move blank runes into a bag. And I use the sell feature when I'm training certain crafting skills and want to sell the crafted objects to an NPC instead of dumping them in the trash or on the ground.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if your laptop feels hot that is a good thing. it means the heat dissipation is working as it should

L

Lady_Mina

2D user here...

Old school :)

I started playing with 2D...back when there was no 3d...a while after we had 3rd dawn but it wasn't really a succes.
Tried EC..and i simply can't get used to it.
It feels ackward...

S

Serine

I say of there is a need for an other client than 2d . Go all the way and make a real 3D uo client and not some half bad 2 1/3 3D . I mean whats the point .... :confused:

C

Cloak&Dagger

I say of there is a need for an other client than 2d . Go all the way and make a real 3D uo client and not some half bad 2 1/3 3D . I mean whats the point .... :confused:

So in your opinion was KR the client of choice in such a case? (it is a serious question)

Edit: more on topic, I do not like the options in the poll.
2d is more "natural" for me, but there is nothing wrong with the enhanced client. If you play another game do you go around saying "this doesn't look anything like the uo 2d client"? its not meant to be identical. -.- (altho it is awkward to play on the enhanced client but if you force yourself to keep trying it gets more familiar and is not so bad)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cloak‡1624941 said:
So in your opinion was KR the client of choice in such a case? (it is a serious question)

Edit: more on topic, I do not like the options in the poll.
2d is more "natural" for me, but there is nothing wrong with the enhanced client. If you play another game do you go around saying "this doesn't look anything like the uo 2d client"? its not meant to be identical. -.- (altho it is awkward to play on the enhanced client but if you force yourself to keep trying it gets more familiar and is not so bad)
The difference is the "Enhanced" Client is supposed to be UO. It isn't.

Other games aren't supposed to be UO.